The Emma-Watson.net Forum

People choice awards 2014: Emma nominated, but....

Obviously for a comedy role I would think up first on "This is The End", even thought she only had 5 minutes of screen time, I guess she deserves at least the nomination for the funny unexpected character - funniest part of the movie for me, the axe thing.

I stayed to the last minute wondering if she would appear again in the movie to kill someone or, even better, to dance in the last scene!  :happydance: 

I went to bed kinda disappointed when I didn't see her there… :tongue0020: 

Nominating someone for a few minutes of cameo would be even sillier. Which is to say, that might be it.

True...

But hey, it is still a very surprising performance, unexpected character...

You are way too obsessed with this "wasting talent" comment...just w/e...anyway, technically Bling Ring was a comedy...a dramedy...Emma shone in this role as Nicki-it was a role we have not seen from her ever and it was fun to see her in this different light. I am voting for her lots!!!!!!! :) She deserves it!

Bling Ring was a COMEDY?

Ok, maybe the american people (esp. the "high society") feel better when they are able to laugh about their madness....

And do not missunderstand me: I knew some very nice Americans, I do not mean that all of them are..... well, you know.

The real problem is: all these "modern and young" prices are telling NOTHING about the real acting ability of an actor/actress. Even the "Oscar" is not always a degree diameter for real acting talent. All this "People choice" and "MTV" - "awards"  are nice little events to bring entertaining shows mit beautiful young people (like Emma), but I do not see them as  real "milestone" in a chareer of an actor.

If I look at Emmas categorie, I have a picture. The editors sitting around a table and discussing steps to get really high ratings. On of them says: "Guys, there was this beautiful young actress last year, with her shy boyfriend and this extraordinary colourful dress. Any idea how we can get her again this year....". And then they were looking into her movie portfolio and found out, that she did nothing, what would fit in the catergories, already set up. So they created a new one.......

I like it that Emma is in the centre of the attention of the people, but I really hope she will deliver a movie in the next few years, worth a real nomination for a real powerful award.

Edited by Jonny Carinthia

"surprising", indeed.....

I am still surprised that Emma wasted her talent for this "movie"......

What wasted talent are you talking about. Where and when have you seen it? Maybe she doesn't have what you think she has and YOU are wasting your time.

To make it short: I think Emma has a godgiven talent to be a beautiful and successfull actress in good movies. She is wasting her time and talent in participating in creepy B and C-movies (like "End of the world") and her caracter (well, she was playing herself) is not even given a proper "end" in the movie (she simply "disapears"). She is acting with actors out of the US B+C league, instead of acting with real actors in real, good movies (f.e. Emma Thompson, Maggie Smith, Hugh Grant ecc.ecc.ecc.) in which she can grow, learn and shine. What a fun it would be to see her in "Downton Abbey" or in another big TV-series. She could be present at the side of many great british and american actors. What can she really learn from the creepy guys from "This is the end"? How to be insulted by drunken, drug-using co-stars?

But she killed many job-prospects with her list what she really not want to do and with the list of people she wants to work with. And what is the end? Worthless "comedies" like "This is the end" (Highlight: Discussion, who RAPES Emma Watson) or this bible-fairytale NOAH, which was sent back to the editing room by Paramount, because the first screening gave "disdurbing results".

Are these realy the movies, Emma deserves?

Give me a honest answer, please.

The best and honest answer we could give you, Jonny, is that Emma herself decided that way. What else we could say? She has her personal reasons for acting in movies like "This is the End", and we should respect them even if we can´t understand them now :huh:

Probably one of her reasons is that she wants to start from "scratch" (if you allow me to use that word) as most do. Maybe she wish to earn a place in the industry only through her pure hard work and talent (the place we, her fans, know she deserves but still has to prove to the rest of the world) and the only way to do it is by starting with simple and apparently insignificant things. Learning from consummate masters such as Gary Oldman, Michael Gambon, Richard Griffiths (RIP), Maggie Smith, Ralph Fiennes, Emma Thompson, etc etc, sometimes is not enough to give you the whole perspective of an acting life. You have to live the entire process if you really want to be named as a real actor/actress. And I feel that´s what she is doing right now :)

However, there is another possibility: maybe this is the only way she found to continue both, her modeling & acting career and her university. It´s all about timing: the less you have at work, the more you´ll get at school, and viceversa. The less time-demanding a film be, the more she will have to study for an exam or doing another things with friends or boyfriend...

Perhaps she has very different reasons and I´m totally wrong, but well, this is what I think now ^_^

I do not think that she had to start from "scratch", because she was already in a 8 movie-franchise with the talented actors, Great Britian had on offer. Do you not think that she learned from Maggie Smith or Kenneth Brennagh more then she could ever learn from the "cast" of "End of the world"? I do not think that she was really in need to go so far down to start something allready started so well.

Of course it is easy to say "because she wants it to do it that way". Good. But does Emma not have a little bit of self-respect? I mean, she must have read the Script of that "movie" befor and she did not say: "Oh my god, there is a scene in it they are discussing who should RAPE me?" I mean, she turned down some very interesting offers (and yes, I still count "50 shades" as a interesting, and very different project) due to her self-respect, and this "movie" was indeed on her priority - wish-list? Was she drunk when she signed the contract or was her agent nuts?

We can only draw conclusions from the few crumbs that she throws on us off and on regarding her career, what is really going on. Some people here will say, leave her alone, she is so rich, she could do a "Scary Movie" every day. Granted. But is Emma really ready to sell herself wide under value? She is not one of the "Hollywood-Oltimer", trying hard to get her career going again.

I think more that she tries with every fiber of her body to get into the "Holywood-Society". She thinks she will only counted as "actress" if she is part of this crazy bunch of people, living around LA.

How nice would it have been to see her in one or two highly rewarded TV Series (compare "Downton Abbey" with "End of the World" and tell me why she avoided the frist and took the second. I found no reasonable answer). With such a series her face would become familiar to Millions of people, allover the world and THAT would be a basis I think you can found a adult-career as a Actor.

She did "My week with Marilyn", a solid british production and allthough she had only 5 minutes in the whole move you saw that she was a talented "English Rose". Then "Perks", a hard try to be counted as a American Highschool-Girl (but, after all, she did it very very well and Sam is my second-favourite caracter after Lucy).

"Bling Ring" was another intersting example, but she still has difficulties to sell her "Sex-Appeal" in movies. It is simply not hers, and some other members here are probably right when counting "Bling" as a very strange form of Comedy.

Of course, we her fans, will continue to buy what she offers us, because we have no real other choice if we want to follow her in the future. I love her model-work too, she is very sophisticated and her british - chilly Sex Appeal works very well on the pictures.

Regarding to her studies I really do hope that she comes to an end with that. She shows for years that she is no longer really interested in University and no other student of the world would have the chance to get a degree in the way she got hers (probably).

Or maybe she's just 24 and wants to have fun. If a friend of mine says "hey I want to do this thing this weekend wanna come?" I don't lock myself away for a week of existential fraughtness and contemplate how doing said thing will affect my career. In fact, about 90% of the choices I make in life are completely unaffected by my career. So, if Emma wants to do a movie because her friends are doing it then WOW COOL GREAT. And then when she wants to work on something serious to "advance her career" (although it can't be easy to advance from being one of the most recognizable people in the world from age 9, but some people have high standards I guess), again WOW COOL GREAT. 

Not even my own parents spend as much time analyzing my career trajectory as you spend analyzing Emma's, Jonny. :P I think it's a generational thing. People my dad's age are ALL about building careers, homes, families. My mom was settled down with two kids at my age. But the world is a lot different now and that's not what those of us in our early-to-mid 20s WANT. There are a lot more options combined with a lot more problems that make becoming an adult right now a pretty complex affair, whether you're a 25 year old web designer or a 24 year old movie actor.

Ling, I think analyzing is not the right word. For me it is more like: How does a talentend, super-beautiful and intelligent actress sell's herself...... I mean, Emma is clearly a woman with brain, so I cannot understand why she is doing some things like she does.

I further do not think that she is in need to "creat a career", she already has one.

If Miley Cyrus whould say: "I will be part of a movie, in which my co-stars are discussing raping me!" I would say, ok, crazy chick, go on.

But Emma, our "down to earth" girl with much more behind the beautiful face then "basic life performance" - I do not get it, really.

You're looking at her choices from an outsider's point of view. You see these decisions and how they affect her image.

Look at this from her point of view. Do you really think she cares if her roles help "represent" the image that the rest of the world has chosen to see her as?

She isn't thinking about how her image will be affected when choosing roles, because that's not what actors do. That's what celebrities like Miley Cyrus do.

Miley is selling a brand. All her decisions are based on that brand.

Emma isn't selling her image. Her presence in the media isn't of her concern.

She isn't trying to perpetuate whatever expectations others have for her, and that's why you don't understand her decisions.

You're looking for a strategy where there just isn't one.