The Emma-Watson.net Forum

People choice awards 2014: Emma nominated, but....

But I hope that she will never in the future whine in an interview about her missed chances....

I think she will be regarded as an actress, then, for heavens sake, she should select her roles like one....

And, thank heaven, not every actor/actress avoids a little bit of poison to sell themselfs for the right price....

But I hope that she will never in the future whine in an interview about her missed chances....

That's just LIFE though, you know? Right now she wants to do things a certain way and that's fine. In the future she may or may not regret those decisions and that's fine. As far as I can tell, it's not hurting anybody, so it shouldn't be a concern. And honestly, people will always have regrets, or wonder how things could have been. That's called being a human. 

Why do you hold Emma and Miley to different standards? You shouldn't be doing that because 1) it's none of your business, 2) they're both females trying to navigate an industry in which they will constantly struggle between the opinions of others (most of which they aren't asking for) and what's right for themselves. I find it rather gross that you find it appalling that Emma be involved in a rape joke but think that's a fine enough role for Miley. Rape shouldn't be a joke whether you're a fully clothed woman with a reputation for being a prude or if you're half naked gyrating around a stage with your tongue out... but that's a whole other discussion. Still, I think it's worth examining why you hold Emma to these ridiculous standards while belittling the decisions of other women.

Nobody should make a joke about rape, right. So why do you say that it is ok for Emma and not for Miley. Because it is exactly the other way round....

If Emma is non of our business, dook can close this page and this forum at once. Why should we come here in the first place if we are not allowed to talk and discuss Emma?

I say, that - regarding her own business - Miley (as an example) has the way better standards, aids and management then Emma will ever have. And, of course, it is Emmas decision, but, and here I use words of JK, then she is definitly not the "brightest witch of her generation".

Finally a private word: keep calm, ling. I am in hospital at the moment and I am learning, that high bloodpressure can lead to various unpleasent things.....

Have a nice Sunday.

Edited by Jonny Carinthia

Oh, I'm calm. I really just love debate, and it probably calms me more than anything. Regardless, I hope that *you* are well. Hospitals suck.

Firstly, though, don't put words in my mouth. Because I DO NOT think rape jokes are okay. I watched This Is The End through the critical filter that I consume most media (including this forum) and I raise PLENTY of issue with it. Yes, it made me laugh. However, the rape theme throughout made me uncomfortable and angry. As I've said, I trust Emma to make her own choices, but I did find this one to be problematic. Not as problematic as it could have been, of course. Emma's character did take the badass approach and defend herself, and the way it was presented was a misunderstanding. So, while I was not happy with the subject matter, I thought it was handled in the best way that could be expected from a film that's only purpose was for a bunch of friends to get paid to hang out and make crude jokes. Had it gone differently (i.e. the way of Jonah Hill's storyline) and Emma had agreed to do it, we'd be in a very different situation here. As it is, I'm willing to bet she realized at least some of her mistake judging by the fact that she obviously didn't finish the project, and I will begrudgingly give her the benefit of the doubt. Begrudgingly.

On the other hand, with Miley, I fully support the right of any woman to walk around as naked as she wants. The problem is when you combine that with a date-rape-filled song a la Robin Thicke, which... I have no words to explain how much I despise Robin Thicke. Again, these are bad choices, but overall Miley Cyrus being half naked and expressing her sexuality all the time isn't problematic... her appropriation of other races is much worse. 

Obviously I think it's fine to discuss Emma, but at the end of the day there are personal choices she makes that are really none of our business (like how much or how little she works) and then public choices that we should receive critically and examine (like her involvement in a rape-joke-centric role). 

I think you are under the impression that I like Emma without any thought to her actions, but the truth is I like Emma because she played Hermione and seems like someone I can vaguely relate to because of that. However, my subtle admiration for any sort of "celebrity" never has and never will cloud my judgement on the actual values I prioritize in my life, for example my extensive views on feminism, equality and society. Not to quote Perks of Being a Wallflower (the book) here, but I did read it as a pre-teen so I guess some of its lessons rubbing off on me was inevitable, but I definitely subscribe to the idea of being "a filter, not a sponge" when it comes to the consumption of media.

I see....

But you know, she was not playing Hermione, she WAS Hermione......

And that's the point; would Hermione let herself go the way Emma does????

Well... no she's NOT Hermione. Hermione is fictional. Emma is a real person and people change.

I met her not as Hermione, but as Lucy for the first time.

And Lucy (although by the book, written by Colin Clark) is a much more realistic person.....

These comparisons are guaranteeing that you will be constantly disappointed.

A character in a book has their entire personality explained for you in text. People don't work like that.

No person can live up to the life of a fictional character. They would be foolish to even try.

Ok, then JK Rowling took a lot of Emma in her fictional character...

And she recognised this immediatly during the auditions.

That's why Emma got the part.

When she was NINE.

God help any of us who are still the person we were when we were 9. I'm not the person I was when I was 20. Hell, I'm not the person I was when I was 24. I change and grow every day of my life, like a normal person.

Even HERMIONE GRANGER were she a real person would be a lot different today. In fact, one of the most interesting things about Hermione, which makes her a nuanced and relatable character, is that she is a stubborn and flawed teenager who eventually becomes a bit more self aware and less self-centred, which morphs her into a stronger character. The change is gradual, but it's there, and over time her identity shifts from being an annoying know-it-all to a compassionate adult. Emma's identity has shifted from being that same prococious child archetype into...???? Whatever she WANTS to be. But she is not Hermione. She has not had the same experiences as Hermione, she likely doesn't have identical values to Hermione, and her personality is not that of Hermione.

Again, you sir are waaaaaaay too obsessed with what Emma does with her life. Thank God she doesnt have to get your approval of things she chooses.

We will repeat until the cows come home: THE TRIO HAS MORE money than you or I will ever see in 40 lifetimes. She, Rupert, and Dan can take risks, act in whatever they want because they are CHOOSING to do these roles. They have no one they have to listen to or do as others say. They all 3 have left Potter behind. I will ALWAYS love them as Hermione, Ron and Harry. But it's time to embrace and accept them in their new and very different roles-the trio can experiment and try different things because they can afford it. I am just looking forward to their next projects and future projects.

Btw, I agree with what Trixie said.

I can be quite stubborn .......

Noooooooooooooooooo........  :blush:

And for the other lady: I will never excuse each and everything with money. Even rich people can have targets, goals and strategies. There is also no reason for these people to live only for the day, on the contrary, they have, when they are in the limelight, almost an obligation in life to be a rolemodel (something Emma is or should be, as claimed so often).

Edited by Jonny Carinthia