The Emma-Watson.net Forum

JK Rowling Hosts Fundraising Event For Charity 'Lumos'

I'm somewhat skeptical about the Lumos cause. Emma pretty as usual tho.

What do you mean ? 

"Across the globe 8 million children are living in institutions that deny them individual love and care. More than 90% are not orphans. They are separated from their families because they are poor, disabled or from an ethnic minority. As a result, many suffer lifelong physical and emotional harm."

This is serious. Most of psychological traumas and problems of adults are proven to be a result of a problem during childhood and teenagehood.

I think it is also important for JKR to raise funds, because she has given so much to charities that it's time for her to be followed and helped. I really admire what she does for people.

np....and emma tweets a picture so cute ....they couldnt find eyes for wax figures?hmm :)

Hm, when I remember it right, it is one of the wax figures they used in the CoS, when Hermione was attacted by the Basilisc.......

What do you mean ? 

"Across the globe 8 million children are living in institutions that deny them individual love and care. More than 90% are not orphans. They are separated from their families because they are poor, disabled or from an ethnic minority. As a result, many suffer lifelong physical and emotional harm."

This is serious. Most of psychological traumas and problems of adults are proven to be a result of a problem during childhood and teenagehood.

I think it is also important for JKR to raise funds, because she has given so much to charities that it's time for her to be followed and helped. I really admire what she does for people.

For me, personally, it is always not understandable why people, rich like Scooge Duck, are in need to beg people, 1.000.000.000 times poorer then themselfs for money to do some sort of charity. Rowling (I count her as super-rich) must only give a part of her fortune into a fund, and many projects for children in need could be done easely. But, of course, it is a event to see and be seen, so......  But great to know, that Emma was in Watford again....

Edited by Jonny Carinthia

Hm, when I remember it right, it is one of the wax figures they used in the CoS, when Hermione was attacted by the Basilisc.......

Nope. Goblet of Fire when she was used as a hostage in the 2nd task. Note the post-Cuaron uniforms and closed eyes (CoS Hermione was petrified with her eyes open, obviously, or she wouldn't have seen the Basilisk. ;) ). 

JK Rowling is an amazing philanthropist and even does so much more than her work with Lumos. She's actually been bumped from the Forbes Billionaire list because she gives so much of her income to charity [Source]. Events like this aren't to beg poor people to give more, they're to lure the influential people with loads of money to an event, get them relaxed and boozed up and make THEM donate as well.

Edited by ling

Nope. Goblet of Fire when she was used as a hostage in the 2nd task. Note the post-Cuaron uniforms and closed eyes (CoS Hermione was petrified with her eyes open, obviously, or she wouldn't have seen the Basilisk. ;) ). 

Ok, point for you. I was not sure, anyway. The wax figures standing in the "costume-department" of Leavesden Exhibition and none of them looks life-like.

"Across the globe 8 million children are living in institutions that deny them individual love and care.

It's generalizations like that that I find problematic. I haven't seen anyone in this country who grew up in i.e. an orphanage publicly calling them horrible places. The situation might be different in Romania or the Ukraine, but then again not so much if you compare them to the living situations of people in rural areas there. JKR is a person with a big heart and a lot of money and she wants to put that to good use. I respect that. But I think it clouds her judgement a bit.

I mean, when privileged people sweep in to save the day by throwing money at a problem there will always be bits and pieces that are problematic. What I do like about the brief overview I've had with her work in Eastern Europe is that until now she seemed to be doing it with very little fanfare. But yes, in general the mentality of the privileged western world coming to solve the problems of the underprivileged does not sit well with me either. This is why I would likely not support Lumos, avoid Salvation Army like a plague from hell, Worldvision basically makes me want to vomit and... well, essentially, any organization that are not politically or religiously neutral will not get my money or support. I'd rather put my energy behind organizations like Unicef who have one of the largest reaches globally with a good handle on their organizational costs. 

I applaud JKR--and admire her work and love of children. It shows with her writing of HP. She even stated that

eerily, Voldemort was raised in an orphanage/institution, so that raised her awareness subconsciously.

JKR has also given huge amounts in the investigation of little Madeline McCann, who went missing when her

parents were on vacation in Portugal. JKR has stated that we're all here to make a difference, and there's so 

much to be done. 

Glad to see Emma there supporting JKR---beautiful photo of the both of them. Is that Stella McCartney in the

other photo?

Never go with a laptop to a public place in a hospital and look on pictures of Emma...

Comments from my fellow inmates here:

1) Emma is great, because she know when it is apropriate to wear a bra....

2) Hopefully Emma will never ruin her feet like the lady standing besides JK

For me, personally, it is always not understandable why people, rich like Scooge Duck, are in need to beg people, 1.000.000.000 times poorer then themselfs for money to do some sort of charity. 

In a way, rich people should not be the only people responsible for the rest of the world. I would like to say that a lot of them could change the face of the world by being a little more generous and a little less selfish, but people like JKR must not carry the weight of the poor world on her shoulders. She helps and warn people, make them aware of problems.

What I really mean is that we should not blame rich people because they are rich, we shouldn't be bitter about it. a lot of them worked hard for that (JKR faught to become the writer she is now).

Moreover, if a lot of people give little, it can be more powerful than 1 giving a lot ! 

JK Rowling is an amazing philanthropist and even does so much more than her work with Lumos. She's actually been bumped from the Forbes Billionaire list because she gives so much of her income to charity [Source]. Events like this aren't to beg poor people to give more, they're to lure the influential people with loads of money to an event, get them relaxed and boozed up and make THEM donate as well.

That's what I wanted to say about the Forbes list ! and I totally agree on what you say for the charity event. 

• 4 weeks later...