The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Emma is giving away shoes for "Small Steps Project"

It was a statement of her when talking about Bling Ring and Paris Hilton. She was shocked by the number of shoes, Hilton had in her house (Bling Ring was filmed there) and she said, that it is "crazy to have so many pairs of shoes, she herselfs owns only 8 pairs".
For me this statement is nonsense and the media made a lot of fun out of it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2348624/Emma-Watson-condemns-extravagant-celebrity-lifestyles-I-8-pairs-shoes.html

It was not only in the Daily Mail, it was just the one I found fast.....
She said it during a radio-interview......

http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/article/TMG10142917/Does-Emma-Watson-really-own-just-eight-pairs-of-shoes.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/the-only-8-pairs-of-shoes-emma-watson-or-any-woman-will-ever-need-8674779.html

http://www.vogue.co.uk/news/2013/06/26/emma-watson-owns-eight-pairs-of-shoes---bling-ring-radio-times-interview

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-style/news/emma-watson-says-she-has-only-eight-pairs-of-shoes-2013266

These just a few reports of her remark; google it; you will find many more!

(Unfortunatly I have only very slow internet here and I cannot upload the links to the many tv-reports about this senseless remark of her. Just visit youtube, entering Emma Watson - 8 pairs)

Edited by Jonny Carinthia

Well for public events I guess she rents shoes more than she buys them, but I would have said she's got more than 8 because

1) she said she really likes shoes and

2) because the paparazzi shots of her show her each time with a different pair ^^ 

i have 9 pairs of shoes, lol :)

2 pairs of workboots (one is steel-toed)

2 pairs of tennis shoes

2 pairs of sandals (beach and going out)

1 pair of dress shoes

2 pairs of everyday casual shoes

am i a clotheshorse if i have more shoes than Emma? lol B)

As far as I know they are renting clothes or getting them as a loan. But not shoes. Because shoes are more "individual" and cannot be cleaned the same way you can clean a dress. Ich think this was mentioned in one of the articles.....

There are quite a few places that rent designer shoes, and you may not want to toss them in a washing machine but shoes can be cleaned. However, I doubt Emma rents shoes for events. I would guess they are often lent to her along with the dress, accessories, etc.

As for that 8 shoes quote perhaps people shouldn't take it so literally. Maybe it was just a quick estimate of how many pairs she had that she actually wears.

As for that 8 shoes quote perhaps people shouldn't take it so literally.

But they do. If you - or I - would say something like that, nobody would care. But when it comes to celebs, and esp. "rolemodels" like Emma, the people expecting the truth....... I agree with you that she gets many shoes (maybe dresses also) free of charge and I see a full wardrobe with shoes in all of her three flats/houses/chalets......

I would guess her saying she has 8 pairs of shoes was more of... reverse hyperbole, if you will. For example, compared to, say, Paris Hilton's shoe collection I have 1 pair of shoes relatively speaking. When Emma says she has 8 pairs of shoes, she isn't likely literally saying she has 8 pairs of shoes. It's more likely that she arbitrarily picked a small-ish number to contrast the incredibly high number of shoes Paris owns.

Seriously, it isn't that difficult to read tone.

In terms of renting/ borrowing that happens for every celeb at ever event. Typically they are on loan. Any celeb who uses a stylist, so most, wear those outfits on lens. Especially the vintage or archived pieces. I guarantee most of the shows Emma has worn were a loan. She probably doesn't rent them because designers want her to be seen on their clothes. Also with a stylist she wouldn't rent them just pay the styling fees.

No because once again he has to make unnecessary comments. He is more immature than my fourth grade class and that says something. I just truly do not understand why he is here...I don't. He is the biggest waste of hot air on here-he clearly despises Emma (I mean come on we know he does with all of the lame/hurtful/mean comments towards her). It confuses me to see someone who dislikes someone so much be here.

Anyway Rupert, Dan, and Bonnie also donated which I thought was so sweet.

LOL!! Ling sorry!!! :)

Excuse me.... SHE said that she owns only eight pair of shoes....

It was really not my idea...

Yeah, again, she probably was speaking comparatively. She also probably didn't expect people to hold her to owning exactly 8 pairs of shoes every day for the rest of her life, because she probably doesn't think people care about that kind of thing, since caring about that kind of thing is a total waste of time and energy and anybody who would care about that kind of thing is probably a rather uncompelling person who is not worth her time, because surely anyone fascinating enough to be worth knowing would have much better things on their mind than how many shoes somebody owns. 

People say a lot of things. I spend the majority of my time communicating with other humans. Myself and the people I communicate with share lots of things about ourselves. Some things are important, like career aspirations, familial relations and societal values. Other things are negligible, like if I said I own 6 sweaters (an estimate), when in reality I own 13 (yes, I just counted them, just for you). Over time, the facts of these matters might change. I could buy a new sweater while I'm out tomorrow and decide that I want to move to a different country, and one of those things does not matter in the slightest. If you can't figure out which one is the important fact to retain then there is problem. This is a very basic concept of human interaction.

I would guess her saying she has 8 pairs of shoes was more of... reverse hyperbole, if you will. For example, compared to, say, Paris Hilton's shoe collection I have 1 pair of shoes relatively speaking. When Emma says she has 8 pairs of shoes, she isn't likely literally saying she has 8 pairs of shoes. It's more likely that she arbitrarily picked a small-ish number to contrast the incredibly high number of shoes Paris owns.

Seriously, it isn't that difficult to read tone.

Seems totally clear now that you say so ! I actually didn't even bother about that so I was surprised when Jonny reminded us about the 8 pairs quote, and I just took is for granted, which is stupid. It's definitely not the same when you take a quote out of context (still learning about it ! ^^) 

Seems totally clear now that you say so ! I actually didn't even bother about that so I was surprised when Jonny reminded us about the 8 pairs quote, and I just took is for granted, which is stupid. It's definitely not the same when you take a quote out of context (still learning about it ! ^^) 

I do NOT take it for granted, that she owns only 8 pairs of shoes, because as far as I know she has a house in London, a flat in New York and a chalet somewhere in the French Alps. 3 residences with only 8 pairs of shoes is simply not possible...

No, my problem is that she is still sold as a "rolemodel", but a rolemodel should tell the truth and not "stories", or if she says something like that, she should point out clearly, that it is only a "picture"....

She got bad press allover (even here in Austria), and as a PR-consultant I would warn her, to say such things.....

(Please to not tell me, she is rich and can say whatever she wants - thats not true!)

In fact it's the same like the story about pole-dancing. Wrong (not to say a lie) and simply ... a mislead of her fans....