The Emma-Watson.net Forum

I'm not sure what it is about snow, but for me there has always been something magical about it.

For many kids it starts in childhood when a day off from school is precipitated (pun intended) by a snow fall.  Perhaps that's where the magic starts?  I'm not sure.  I just know that for whatever reason from childhood until adulthood I've always loved snow.  I admit that I would not likely feel the same way if I lived in a  place where it snowed for a good portion of the year.  I have no desire to move to the extreme north or extreme south.  Part of the magic is in the arbitrary nature of snow fall along with it's seasonal expectation. 

Nature alone is beautiful and I probably underappreciate the every day beauty that I experience in Nature.  Now that it's mid Autumn in the Northeastern United States I once again anticipate the beauty and magic of a snow fall.  I believe snow calls my attention to Nature and that is a big part of its appeal.  Just tonight I went outside my apartment for a moment to get a breadth of fresh air and some light snow flakes were falling.  Standing in the wind and quiet with just my thoughts and the snow around me elicited a strange and ironic feeling of warmth.  It may not have been the snow as much as it was every thing I assoicate with it.  The times I spent building snowmen and making snow angels with my brothers or sister.   Once when I took part in a snowball fight with complete strangers who began throwing snowballs against my window.  Or the time when I finished my first semester of college and passed all my exams and was walking along an empty and silent sidewalk in a Central Pennsylvania country town with the smell of firewood in the air, while I caught snow flakes on my tongue.  They're all vivid and wonderful memories. They didn't need planning, they didn't need words, they didn't need any kind of special accomplishment or achievement to elicit happiness.  Happiness was there, in those moments, without anything but me and the snow. 

I know that it's not snow for everyone that does that.  But I think it's important for all of us to have something like that... something that functions in the way that snow functions for me in my life.  Something that creates joy and pleasure simply by its presence and nothing else.  I don't love driving in it.  I'm not a skier or a snowboarder or an ice skater, but none of that seems to matter to me.  It's beautful and it's quiet and it's God and it's Earth and it's everything and nothing at the same time.  When life is busy and noisey and full of stress I pray that all of us have something that comes without expectation and lifts us... makes us think and feel good things.  I hope that you all have your own versions of a beautiful Autumn/Winter/Late Spring snowfall, no matter what shape or form it takes.  And that you are able to appreciate a small thing.  Sometimes life seems so big,and so loud and it's the small things that help remind us of the everyday blessings we often over look most of the time. 

Edited by Mr. Pumpkinhead