The Emma-Watson.net Forum

JK admits Hermione should have wed Harry

LOL!!!!! Quick fingers ;) Yeah I am depressed but tbh I don't worry because in the end as a Romione shipper, I got what I wanted  ;)

That ''would have ended up in relationship counselling'' part innit? Yeah I know, it made me cringe too! Ginny isn't a lady who believes in divorce so don't worry, don't put it to heart, they did that for rising the magazine's hype. That's all to it. Mischief managed.

ROFL I LOVE YAS!!! ;) yes it made me cringe like mad but like y'all say we wait for full article :)

I personally would tell HERMIONE to keep her HUSBAND. You don't mess with somebody else's Husband. I actually agree with Jo, they can have marriage counselling. I wouldn't care much. Yeah full article is desired.

i have watched the HP films many times, and regardless of JK's interview comments, the two couples still work out great for me. i will always see Ron and Hermione together, and Ginny and Harry together. i have a cinematic disconnect between my love of movies, and the reality of actors, writers, directors, etc....the finished film(s) always wins.

:)

I¨m so disappointed on J. K. Rowling right now, I can´t believe she said that after all these years. It´s like the books are a lie now, it makes any sense! I´m so angry!

The only thing we can do is wait and hear what she said...but like Tiffany said the books have been written and it will not change- let the record show R/Hr are happily married with two cute lil ginger kids ;) Thank you Tiffany for saying this especially being a H/Hr shipper- that was very cool of yas :)

Luciana hello!!!! :) good to see yas back despite the circumstances...keep a look out for whole article so we can see why this was said...

I must say,I really hate when jk Rowling tells us things like this bc it ruins the story for me a bit. Like I loved how it ended and I would rather not know who was supposed to be with who. Also, I think hermione definitely is better with Ron than harry!

The only thing we can do is wait and hear what she said...but like Tiffany said the books have been written and it will not change- let the record show R/Hr are happily married with two cute lil ginger kids ;) Thank you Tiffany for saying this especially being a H/Hr shipper- that was very cool of yas :)

Luciana hello!!!! :) good to see yas back despite the circumstances...keep a look out for whole article so we can see why this was said...

Exactly, it was kind of like when JKR said all those fact about the books/movies after they were finished like who ended up with who, and etc like it changes the books somehow.  

So I posted the newspaper pic cuz I have internet and so much spare time, but since I live in a place where wonderland comes not someone will have to scan the magazine and post here so our poor 3rd world members can read too...

And btw, I hated the way the movie ended, with harry/ginny and ron/hermione. At the time, I felt strongly that Rowling only made it that way because she wanted to see everyone married. I felt like the energy of the book was twisted on the last chapter because of that. It's not only because of that, JKR was kinda tired of writing and didn't want to write any more books in the sequence, so I guess she just trashed and locked the last chapter without thinking properly if it would be a good idea or not… I mean, if Harry and Hermione were together in the end, it would leave a whole lot universe of more history to write about.

She's really not saying anything that people who paid attention while reading the books didn't already notice. She put R/Hr together to serve a plot she had thought out beforehand. And it was a plot that was her own personal wish fulfillment. R/Hr had more to do with her and some lost love than it had to do with the Harry Potter story/universe. The characters got away from her and began to go in a direction she hadn't planned but she shoehorned them into this plot anyway just to make it work.

Haven't you ever watched a tv show/movie where someone did something that was completely out of character for them? Something to where the character had no reason to do what they did? But the writer makes them do it anyway to serve the plot instead of the character. It makes no sense but the writer does it anyway. That's exactly what JKR did.

When I first read the books, I think it was pretty obvious that this is what was happening. Although I thought she was doing a diservice to the story and the characters, I figured it's her story and this is the story she wants to tell, come hell or high water, so I just went with the flow and enjoyed the story anyway.  

It is interesting to play 'what if' and wonder what the story would've been had she been true to the characters. I don't think we would've ended up with a completely different HP story but there would've been some interesting developments.

This has resurfaced emotions for me about Hermione in a whole different way (this will likely be a feminist rant). 

I always shipped Ron and Hermione when the books were coming out because I thought it was cute, maybe a bit reminiscent of Pride and Prejudice, which is a favourite of mine. But as I grew up and learned more about how relationships work I began to doubt it. Hermione was much too clever for Ron and he never could have provided her with enough stimulation to keep her interested. Hermione would have wanted to explore the world, better herself, keep learning, keep achieving and whatnot. And Ron would have been far too lazy. Obviously couples don't need to match each other exactly in every aspect of their lives, but they certainly need similar goals, and Ron was never really that motivated.

Secondly, Hermione is such a big character in terms of feminism and showing women that they can be smart, brave, opinionated, emotional... so many things, and that meant a lot to me growing up. It's so rare to find that in any form of media. Now, on top of that, she was never Harry's prize to be won. So often the main female in the story is used to serve as a love interest to better the story of the male protagonist. It was important to show that a male and female character could have an extremely close platonic relationship, that never, ever was about sex in any way. That almost never happens. And when it does, the female is usually portrayed as being unattractive and undesirable. But Hermione was well-liked, she was described as being pretty following GOF and people in-world did seem to find her attractive. Yet Harry and Hermione had a relationship based 100% on pure friendship. That is so refreshing.

Then there's the idea of everyone marrying the person they started dating in high school. Come on. Yes, they grew up in a difficult time and people obviously form stronger bonds in times of turmoil, but how many people honestly end up with the person they dated at 18? The fact that Luna married someone we'd never even heard of was amazing and realistic and made me very happy (even though it wasn't in the book). 

But all of this comes down to the real problem: the epilogue was crap and it should never have existed. I mean, it barely deviated from the original epilogue, where meanwhile Rowling's writing improved quadrillionfold. The first 2 books of the series read like they were written by a teenaged girl writing fanfiction in a lot of ways. To grow an entire series that improves in language and nuanced world building over the course of a decade, and then to end it with a cop out of an epilogue from before any of this huge world she created even existed? It was disloyal to the fans, in my opinion. We never would have had this conversation without the epilogue because everyone would have been able to have their happy ending. Like mine where Ron and Hermione get together and are adorable, and then Hermione realizes she wants to pursue higher education, travels the world, and has a few fulfilling relationships before settling down with a person that shares her love of literature and social activism. ;)

This has resurfaced emotions for me about Hermione in a whole different way (this will likely be a feminist rant). 

I always shipped Ron and Hermione when the books were coming out because I thought it was cute, maybe a bit reminiscent of Pride and Prejudice, which is a favourite of mine. But as I grew up and learned more about how relationships work I began to doubt it. Hermione was much too clever for Ron and he never could have provided her with enough stimulation to keep her interested. Hermione would have wanted to explore the world, better herself, keep learning, keep achieving and whatnot. And Ron would have been far too lazy. Obviously couples don't need to match each other exactly in every aspect of their lives, but they certainly need similar goals, and Ron was never really that motivated.

Secondly, Hermione is such a big character in terms of feminism and showing women that they can be smart, brave, opinionated, emotional... so many things, and that meant a lot to me growing up. It's so rare to find that in any form of media. Now, on top of that, she was never Harry's prize to be won. So often the main female in the story is used to serve as a love interest to better the story of the male protagonist. It was important to show that a male and female character could have an extremely close platonic relationship, that never, ever was about sex in any way. That almost never happens. And when it does, the female is usually portrayed as being unattractive and undesirable. But Hermione was well-liked, she was described as being pretty following GOF and people in-world did seem to find her attractive. Yet Harry and Hermione had a relationship based 100% on pure friendship. That is so refreshing.

Then there's the idea of everyone marrying the person they started dating in high school. Come on. Yes, they grew up in a difficult time and people obviously form stronger bonds in times of turmoil, but how many people honestly end up with the person they dated at 18? The fact that Luna married someone we'd never even heard of was amazing and realistic and made me very happy (even though it wasn't in the book). 

But all of this comes down to the real problem: the epilogue was crap and it should never have existed. I mean, it barely deviated from the original epilogue, where meanwhile Rowling's writing improved quadrillionfold. The first 2 books of the series read like they were written by a teenaged girl writing fanfiction in a lot of ways. To grow an entire series that improves in language and nuanced world building over the course of a decade, and then to end it with a cop out of an epilogue from before any of this huge world she created even existed? It was disloyal to the fans, in my opinion. We never would have had this conversation without the epilogue because everyone would have been able to have their happy ending. Like mine where Ron and Hermione get together and are adorable, and then Hermione realizes she wants to pursue higher education, travels the world, and has a few fulfilling relationships before settling down with a person that shares her love of literature and social activism. ;)

Clap, clap! Love it! Yes, I totally agree with your point of view!

I think I said one year ago, that in "real life" the marriage of Ron and Hermione would have lasted not more then 2-3 years. Rowling is absolutely right, the two would have needed "marriage councelling" after a very short time.  Why? Because they are both too different (I talk about Ronald and Hermione, NOT Rupert and Emma) to have a happy relationship. Ron is a nice guy, but Hermione would have pushed him around. She would definitly have the pants on in this marriage, and it is only a question of time, until Ron would leave. Hermione is too self-confident, much to into herself to let a more "simple mind" grow and live at her side. The two reminding me on two characters of "Two and a half man", Allan Harper and his ex-wife Judith.

I think, Rowling tried to avoid the obvious: that the hero (Harry) gets the beautiful girl (Hermione) in the end. So she decided to make this twist.

And for the movie: I agree with the people who are saying you can see the chemistry between Daniel and Emma (in the movies and off camera) and the, well, distance between Rupert and Emma. This can also be seen in the kissing scenes. Sorry, but comparing the two it is clear, that there was much more pashion and personal input in the wild kiss between Emma and Daniel in contrast to the - unlucky staged - kiss between Emma and Ron. I think they tried to keep the level of "erotic" as low as possible to get no problem with the rating, because the "revealing" of Ron/Hermione in the last movie (they are holding hands like Kindergarten-children and Harry smiles shyly) is such a bad scene for such a great love.....

It sure would have been interesting, but i think in the end it turned out the right way, i sort of knew Harry and Ginny were meant to be from the second one,Shame they can't do deathly hallows part 2 again and put them together to see how it looked! hahah  :)

Harry Potter and the Revolution of  Wizards and Witches ( HP Book 8 :P ) yups, we would get to see both couples, their relationships, and their kids. :)

* yeah that's right, JK, write that down. lol *

I don't know exactly what to think of Hermione and Ron not being good for each other, I think I have to read agin the books ! I felt a bit desapointed to read this news but I understand what JKR means when she says that. 

I just wanted, for now, to say that I don't understand why "ron should not have been with Hermione" opens a debate "Hermione should have been with harry" (seen on fb for example)... Come on, I love Ginny and Harry, they go perfectly together, why is it that Hermione has to finish with someone of the trio ? 

LEAVE GINNY AND HARRY ALONE !  :sob: