The Emma-Watson.net Forum

2014 FIFA World Cup

It's time again for the World Cup (12 June - 13 July). Much controversy surrounds this years event. But nevertheless it's happening. 
Feel free to comment on the matches and everything surrounding this years FIFA World Cup.

I'll be regularly updating the match results in this post.

Final

• Germany 1:0 Argentina

Third place play-off

• Brazil 0:3 Netherlands

Semi-finals

• Brazil 1:7 Germany
  • Netherlands 0:0(2:4) Argentina

Quarter-finals

• France 0:1 Germany
  • Brazil 2:1 Colombia
  • Argentina 1:0 Belgium
  • Netherlands 0:0(4:3) Costa Rica

Round of 16

• Brazil 1:1p (3:2) Chile
  • Colombia 2:0 Uruguay
  • France 2:0 Nigeria
  • Germany 2:1 Algeria
  • Netherlands 2:1 Mexico
  • Costa Rica 1:1p (5:3) Greece
  • Argentina 1:0 Switzerland
  • Belgium 2:1 USA

Group Stage

Group A

1. Brazil  (+5 GD, 7 Pts)
  2. Mexico (+3 GD, 7 Pts)
  3. ​Croatia (0 GD, 3 Pts)
  4. Cameroon (-8 GD, 0 Pts)

Brazil 1:1 Croatia​

Mexico 1:0 Cameroon

Brazil 0:0 Mexico

Cameroon 0:4 Croatia
Cameroon 1:4 Brazil
Croatia 1:3 Mexico

​Group B

• Netherlands (+7 GD, 9 Pts)
  • Chile (+2 GD, 6 Pts)
  • Spain (-3 GD, 3 Pts)
  • Australia (-6 GD, 0 Pts)

Spain 1:5 Netherlands
Chile 3:1 Australia
Australia 2:3 Netherlands
Spain 0:2 Chile
​Australia 0:3 Spain
Netherlands 2:0 Chile

​Group C

• Colombia (+7 GD, 9 Pts)
  • Greece (-2 GD, 4 Pts)
  • Ivory Coast (-1 GD, 3 Pts)
  • Japan (-4 GD, 1 Pts)

​Colombia 3:0 Greece
Ivory Coast 2:1 Japan
Colombia 2:1 Ivory Coast
Japan 0:0 Greece
Japan 1:4 Colombia
Greece 2:1 Ivory Coast

Group D

• Costa Rica (+3 GD, 7 Pts)
  • Uruguay (0 GD, 6 Pts)
  • Italy (-1 GD, 3 Pts)
  • England (-2 GD, 1 Pts)

Uruguay 1:3 Costa Rica
England 1:2 Italy
Uruguay 2:1 England
Italy 0:1 Costa Rica
Italy 0:1 Uruguay
Costa Rica 0:0 England

​Group E

• France (+6 GD, 7 Pts)
  • Switzerland (+1 GD, 8 Pts)
  • Ecuador (0 GD, 4 Pts)
  • Honduras (-7 GD, 0 Pts)

Switzerland 2:1 Ecuador
France 3:0 Honduras
Switzerland 2:5 France
Honduras 1:2 Ecuador
Honduras 0:3 Switzerland
Ecuador 0:0 France

​Group F

• Argentina (+3 GD, 9 Pts)
  • Nigeria (+0 GD, 4 Pts)
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina (0 GD, 3 Pts)
  • Iran (-3 GD, 1 Pts)

Argentina 2:1 Bosnia and Herzegovina
Iran 0:0 Nigeria
Argentina 1:0 Iran
Nigeria 1:0 Bosnia and Herzegovina
Nigeria 2:3 Argentina
Bosnia and Herzegovina 3:1 Iran

​Group G

• Germany (+5 GD, 7 Pts)
  • United States of America (0 GD, 4 Pts)
  • Portugal (-3 GD, 4 Pts)
  • Ghana (-2 GD, 1 Pts)

Germany 4:0 Portugal
USA 2:1 Ghana
Germany 2:2 Ghana
USA 2:2 Portugal

USA 0:1 Germany

Portugal 2:1 Ghana

​Group H

• Belgium (+3 GD, 9 Pts)
  • Algeria (+1 GD, 4 Pts)
  • Russia (-1 GD, 2 Pts)
  • South Korea (-3 GD, 0 Pts)

Belgium 2:1 Algeria
Russia 1:1 South Korea
Belgium 1:0 Russia
South Korea 2:4 Algeria

South Korea 0:1 Belgium

Algeria 1:1 Russia

Edited by I am Not Purple

Colombia VS Greece

VAMOS COLOMBIA! VAMOS! :lol:

Colombia has very good players. I wouldn't be surprised seeing them in the knockout stages.

Caught France vs Honduras. Honduras defence wasn't bad, but they had no offense. Unless you count goal attempts from halfway down the field.

hahah, true. But what confused me greatly that the national anthems weren't played prior to the match. Now I read that the stadium was just in time finished, but the audio wasn't functional at all. Nor could they make any announcements. This happening in a world cup is rather bad.

I can't wait to see Germany vs Portugal tonight. I'm getting excited.

Also Costa Rica winning 3:1 vs Uruguay surprised me. But I found that very amusing. 

Edited by I am Not Purple

Well we suck

I heard you are off the competition or almost. But I don't quite understand how they count the points (I understood they don't count, it's just about winning or losing the games) 

-

Did you see how we won tonight ?  :king:

That was quite good, too bad for the 6th goal that doesn't count. 

I had to watch because otherwise I would have eaten all by myself (my family was watching while eating). After 3 goals I was playing on my brother's phone, but because there was a lot of action moments, that was quite interesting to watch (not too boring). 

Well we suck

Yeah.  :mellow:

Costa Rica tho...they are surprisingly really good. I mean never underestimate anyone, but still. First in their group. Before England, Italy and Uruguay. Damn.

I heard you are off the competition or almost. But I don't quite understand how they count the points (I understood they don't count, it's just about winning or losing the games) 

-

Did you see how we won tonight ?  :king:

That was quite good, too bad for the 6th goal that doesn't count. 

I had to watch because otherwise I would have eaten all by myself (my family was watching while eating). After 3 goals I was playing on my brother's phone, but because there was a lot of action moments, that was quite interesting to watch (not too boring). 

England is out after Italy lost 0:1 vs Costa Rica.

Well I'll try to explain it as simple as possible: Each time a team wins a game, they get 3 points. A draw gives both teams each one point. If a team loses they get no points. 

Yeah, France destroyed poor Switzerland haha. 

U.S.A. :unsure:

I've actually watched more matches already in this years World Cup than ever in my life previously.  I think that there has been a good deal of "fair play" in most of the matches.  I thought Chile kind of milked the clock a bit on Spain, which I wish they hadn't done, because to me it detracted a bit from an otherwise great victory.  They didn't need to do it either. 

In spite of their two defeats I think that Australia gave a good account of itself and Iran has played better than I anticipated.  Even Brazil and Argentina have not looked like World Beaters to me yet, of course, they've done what they've needed to do to advance and that's all that matters at this point.

I made first round predictions on my blog and the ONLY country I pretty much summarily dismissed before the tournament was Costa Rica! :lol:

Shows what I know about the sport. :icontwisted8pz:

Colombia, Chile and Mexico have impressed me the most so far out of the teams I've seen play.  I've been working when France and Germany have played so I have not seen them yet even though I know they are formidable teams. 

Take courage Tom, England still has a proud history to fall back on.  :yesyes:

I watched France vs. Switzerland yesterday on tv, I never knew that football can be that exciting :P. I just hope Philippines has an entry ahaha. (Or maybe I just have to wait for FIBA).

Edited by _jigz

Arghhhhh!

I want to spin it positively but that was heartbreaking! :sob:

I need to catch my breath.

The challenge is not to look back and only look forward to Monday.  IF the unmentionable happens though, there will inevitably be a lot of looking back. >.<

Edited by Mr. Pumpkinhead

U.S.A. :unsure:

I've actually watched more matches already in this years World Cup than ever in my life previously.  I think that there has been a good deal of "fair play" in most of the matches.  I thought Chile kind of milked the clock a bit on Spain, which I wish they hadn't done, because to me it detracted a bit from an otherwise great victory.  They didn't need to do it either. 

In spite of their two defeats I think that Australia gave a good account of itself and Iran has played better than I anticipated.  Even Brazil and Argentina have not looked like World Beaters to me yet, of course, they've done what they've needed to do to advance and that's all that matters at this point.

I made first round predictions on my blog and the ONLY country I pretty much summarily dismissed before the tournament was Costa Rica! :lol:

Shows what I know about the sport. :icontwisted8pz:

Colombia, Chile and Mexico have impressed me the most so far out of the teams I've seen play.  I've been working when France and Germany have played so I have not seen them yet even though I know they are formidable teams. 

Take courage Tom, England still has a proud history to fall back on.  :yesyes:

Apart from the fatal referee decisions this year it's been ok.

Well, most people couldn't predict that Costa Rica would qualify for the last 16. :P

Yep, I agree. Mexico and Chile played solid football. Also Colombia. Ghana played great vs Germany. They deserved the draw.

Arghhhhh!

I want to spin it positively but that was heartbreaking! :sob:

I need to catch my breath.

The challenge is not to look back and only look forward to Monday.  IF the unmentionable happens though, there will inevitably be a lot of looking back. >.<

That was very unlucky. The 95th minute. >_< But good for Germany, so I wasn't that unhappy. :P But I'm sure both teams will be part in the last 16. Germany and the USA only need a draw. Though I'd like to see Ghana advance as well. But meh.

Widu, teams coming out of Manaus are winless with a combined -7 goal differential.  That doesn't look too promising for the U.S..  Nevermind the fact that it's Germany we play. 

I hope for you and for my friend Sabine that Germany gets the tie. :hug:   For myself I hope the U.S. wins. :tongue0020::lol:

Widu, teams coming out of Manaus are winless with a combined -7 goal differential.  That doesn't look too promising for the U.S..  Nevermind the fact that it's Germany we play. 

I hope for you and for my friend Sabine that Germany gets the tie. :hug:   For myself I hope the U.S. wins. :tongue0020::lol:

haha. Well we'll see. I think it's gonna be a close match. 

Thanks!  :hug: phahah, ofc. :P Can't wait.

COLOMBIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :happydance:  :happydance:

Lo siento, Japan.. :wub:

Congrats! Awesome match. 

Oh boy. Spain, England, Italy are all out. What a strange World Cup. And now Greece surprisingly qualified for the last 16. :o 

Colombia has been very impressive. :yesyes:

I'll worry about tomorrow come tomorrow.  :sweatdrop:  For today I'm interested in seeing how strong Argentina and France look heading into the round of 16.  France can cost if they want to in my mind, because they've been very good.  Argentina needs to win and find some momentum, confidence and goal scoring from anyone not named Messi. 

It amazes me that suddenly the USA watches football. And everyone seems to be interested. Public viewing everywhere. :P

Really?  America wants to be the best in everything so it was only a matter of time before the public got behind soccer.  :yesyes:  What I'm interested in seeing for myself and for other new U.S. soccer fans is if once the U.S. is out of it, or if there is a disapointing defeat, will the fervor reamain the same or build during the period between this World Cup and the next one?  Or will the new bandwagoners (myself included) fade out only to reappear four years later?  Will it be European football we support or the U.S. soccer league? 

As for where I stand.  I'm starting to understand the game better.  I still don't love it like I do baseball or american football or even hockey, but I am enjoying the World Cup.  I'm learning the names of some of the elite players, but I can't even pretend to know soccer like most Europeans or South Americans or Asians might.  There have been more goals then I expected and a lot of skill displayed.  The ONE thing I want to see more of is some great goal tending.  It seems that any time a player doesn't miss the net that the goalies are not aggresive enough and fall victim to falling backwards or falling down passively, ultimately letting in goals that they might have saved with a more aggresive approach.  I know it's easy to say when I'm not having a soccer ball kicked at my head.  I did see one of the players have his arm hit today and it looked like he broke his arm! :(

Right now the biggest thing that can bring U.S. support is U.S. success.  The other reason it's burgeoning popularity here shouldn't be surprising is because I am pretty sure that for over a decade now Soccer has been the number one sport played by American children in the United States.  That has to amount to some kind of growth in fandom I would think.  :king:

Really?  America wants to be the best in everything so it was only a matter of time before the public got behind soccer.  :yesyes:  What I'm interested in seeing for myself and for other new U.S. soccer fans is if once the U.S. is out of it, or if there is a disapointing defeat, will the fervor reamain the same or build during the period between this World Cup and the next one?  Or will the new bandwagoners (myself included) fade out only to reappear four years later?  Will it be European football we support or the U.S. soccer league? 

As for where I stand.  I'm starting to understand the game better.  I still don't love it like I do baseball or american football or even hockey, but I am enjoying the World Cup.  I'm learning the names of some of the elite players, but I can't even pretend to know soccer like most Europeans or South Americans or Asians might.  There have been more goals then I expected and a lot of skill displayed.  The ONE thing I want to see more of is some great goal tending.  It seems that any time a player doesn't miss the net that the goalies are not aggresive enough and fall victim to falling backwards or falling down passively, ultimately letting in goals that they might have saved with a more aggresive approach.  I know it's easy to say when I'm not having a soccer ball kicked at my head.  I did see one of the players have his arm hit today and it looked like he broke his arm! :(

Right now the biggest thing that can bring U.S. support is U.S. success.  The other reason it's burgeoning popularity here shouldn't be surprising is because I am pretty sure that for over a decade now Soccer has been the number one sport played by American children in the United States.  That has to amount to some kind of growth in fandom I would think.  :king:

Of course. :P Yeah so am I. But my guess is that most people stop caring until 2018. :P Though your MLS will get quite a few older stars. Kaka for example. Or David Villa. 

Well I can tell you from my own experience that balls being shot in the face hurt a lot. :P I'm a goalie myself. My thumbs are destroyed and my left ring finger. :P But you're right, a lot of keepers in this world cup aren't that good. The ones playing in top European leagues are well trained. The others not so much.

Makes sense.

Well Germany won 1:0, but I didn't like how Germany played. Nonetheless congrats to both of us! yaay.

The Group Stage is over. Now we march on to the last sixteen:

Last sixteen

• Brazil : Chile
  • Colombia  : Uruguay
  • France : Nigeria
  • Germany : Algeria
  • Netherlands : Mexico
  • Costa Rica : Greece
  • Argentina : Switzerland
  • Belgium : USA

I kinda want to see Messi and Argentina in the finals, but I'm picking Germany v. Netherlands

The injury to Neymar is a bit too much to overcome for Brazil I think.   Even though they probably feel less pressure now.  I think they'll start to feel the pressure again though if they go down to Germany by a goal early. 

If Brazil can keep it 0-0 or be up 1-0 by half time then I think that the energy they get from the home crowd will be enough to carry them to the final.

I believe the Netherlands have a few too many scoring weapons for Argentina.  Argentina needs MORE than Messi dependence now.  Someone is going to need to step it up and help Messi out. 

Will the South Americans have to face the disapointment of an all Euro final?  Or will it be the final many hoped for at the start with Brazil v. Argentina?