I am Not Purple

Advanced Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Mood::meh
  • LocationThe Pale Blue Dot

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:04 PM

It amazes me that suddenly the USA watches football. And everyone seems to be interested. Public viewing everywhere. :P

Yin-Yang_klein.gif I'm Yang, Dina is Yin

Aunt: Arie

#22 Mr. Pumpkinhead

Mr. Pumpkinhead

Advanced Member

• Wind
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Mood::Happy =)
  • LocationLooking for Loooove in the Room of Requirement! ;)

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:52 AM

It amazes me that suddenly the USA watches football. And everyone seems to be interested. Public viewing everywhere. :P

Really?  America wants to be the best in everything so it was only a matter of time before the public got behind soccer.  :yesyes:  What I'm interested in seeing for myself and for other new U.S. soccer fans is if once the U.S. is out of it, or if there is a disapointing defeat, will the fervor reamain the same or build during the period between this World Cup and the next one?  Or will the new bandwagoners (myself included) fade out only to reappear four years later?  Will it be European football we support or the U.S. soccer league? 

As for where I stand.  I'm starting to understand the game better.  I still don't love it like I do baseball or american football or even hockey, but I am enjoying the World Cup.  I'm learning the names of some of the elite players, but I can't even pretend to know soccer like most Europeans or South Americans or Asians might.  There have been more goals then I expected and a lot of skill displayed.  The ONE thing I want to see more of is some great goal tending.  It seems that any time a player doesn't miss the net that the goalies are not aggresive enough and fall victim to falling backwards or falling down passively, ultimately letting in goals that they might have saved with a more aggresive approach.  I know it's easy to say when I'm not having a soccer ball kicked at my head.  I did see one of the players have his arm hit today and it looked like he broke his arm! :(

Right now the biggest thing that can bring U.S. support is U.S. success.  The other reason it's burgeoning popularity here shouldn't be surprising is because I am pretty sure that for over a decade now Soccer has been the number one sport played by American children in the United States.  That has to amount to some kind of growth in fandom I would think.  :king:

Posted Image

Beautiful Emma Watson St. Patrick's Day signature graphic and icon by BoMa
special thank you to BoMa for her talent and her time and to Mr. and Mrs. Watson for having such a photogenic young lady. =p

MY E-FAMILY: e-married to Mrs. Pumpkinhead <3; e-niece: Kim and Kimberley (Kim Twins); e-grandkids: BoMa, Ardi, favorite e-grandchild: Arie<3; e-greatgrandchildren: Will =O, Sarah, Lindy; EX-e-nurse: Carlyn; e-son: Andrew e-daughter: Tara e-soninlaw: Chris e-bestie: Tom jsjs (don't tell Lolly)>.<

#23 I am Not Purple

I am Not Purple

Advanced Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:02 PM

Really?  America wants to be the best in everything so it was only a matter of time before the public got behind soccer.  :yesyes:  What I'm interested in seeing for myself and for other new U.S. soccer fans is if once the U.S. is out of it, or if there is a disapointing defeat, will the fervor reamain the same or build during the period between this World Cup and the next one?  Or will the new bandwagoners (myself included) fade out only to reappear four years later?  Will it be European football we support or the U.S. soccer league? 

As for where I stand.  I'm starting to understand the game better.  I still don't love it like I do baseball or american football or even hockey, but I am enjoying the World Cup.  I'm learning the names of some of the elite players, but I can't even pretend to know soccer like most Europeans or South Americans or Asians might.  There have been more goals then I expected and a lot of skill displayed.  The ONE thing I want to see more of is some great goal tending.  It seems that any time a player doesn't miss the net that the goalies are not aggresive enough and fall victim to falling backwards or falling down passively, ultimately letting in goals that they might have saved with a more aggresive approach.  I know it's easy to say when I'm not having a soccer ball kicked at my head.  I did see one of the players have his arm hit today and it looked like he broke his arm! :(

Right now the biggest thing that can bring U.S. support is U.S. success.  The other reason it's burgeoning popularity here shouldn't be surprising is because I am pretty sure that for over a decade now Soccer has been the number one sport played by American children in the United States.  That has to amount to some kind of growth in fandom I would think.  :king:

Of course. :P Yeah so am I. But my guess is that most people stop caring until 2018. :P Though your MLS will get quite a few older stars. Kaka for example. Or David Villa. 

Well I can tell you from my own experience that balls being shot in the face hurt a lot. :P I'm a goalie myself. My thumbs are destroyed and my left ring finger. :P But you're right, a lot of keepers in this world cup aren't that good. The ones playing in top European leagues are well trained. The others not so much.

Makes sense.

Well Germany won 1:0, but I didn't like how Germany played. Nonetheless congrats to both of us! yaay.

The Group Stage is over. Now we march on to the last sixteen:

Last sixteen

• Brazil : Chile
  • Colombia  : Uruguay
  • France : Nigeria
  • Germany : Algeria
  • Netherlands : Mexico
  • Costa Rica : Greece
  • Argentina : Switzerland
  • Belgium : USA

#24 jigz

jigz

Power Poster

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,608 posts
  • Mood::missing him <3
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:35 AM

Colombia won versus Uruguay! Wow I'm idolizing that James Rodriguez now, and Colombia has a very good keeper. :)

23upoif.png

siggy and avvy made by Ashley The Great

#25 Mr. Pumpkinhead

Mr. Pumpkinhead

Advanced Member

• Wind
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:35 AM

I kinda want to see Messi and Argentina in the finals, but I'm picking Germany v. Netherlands

The injury to Neymar is a bit too much to overcome for Brazil I think.   Even though they probably feel less pressure now.  I think they'll start to feel the pressure again though if they go down to Germany by a goal early. 

If Brazil can keep it 0-0 or be up 1-0 by half time then I think that the energy they get from the home crowd will be enough to carry them to the final.

I believe the Netherlands have a few too many scoring weapons for Argentina.  Argentina needs MORE than Messi dependence now.  Someone is going to need to step it up and help Messi out. 

Will the South Americans have to face the disapointment of an all Euro final?  Or will it be the final many hoped for at the start with Brazil v. Argentina?

Posted Image

special thank you to BoMa for her talent and her time and to Mr. and Mrs. Watson for having such a photogenic young lady. =p

MY E-FAMILY: e-married to Mrs. Pumpkinhead <3; e-niece: Kim and Kimberley (Kim Twins); e-grandkids: BoMa, Ardi, favorite e-grandchild: Arie<3; e-greatgrandchildren: Will =O, Sarah, Lindy; EX-e-nurse: Carlyn; e-son: Andrew e-daughter: Tara e-soninlaw: Chris e-bestie: Tom jsjs (don't tell Lolly)>.<

#26 cbmac12

cbmac12

Devoted Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:25 AM

I think you are right about Brazil Jon!! I at this point would love to see anyone but Germany...I am half German but I want yo see other countries. It would be cool to see Brazil win in their country but I think Argentina May pull it out. This has been the most exciting World Cup in awhile!!
Posted Image

deeply inside credit (HP collection)

#27 I am Not Purple

I am Not Purple

Advanced Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:38 AM

I kinda want to see Messi and Argentina in the finals, but I'm picking Germany v. Netherlands

The injury to Neymar is a bit too much to overcome for Brazil I think.   Even though they probably feel less pressure now.  I think they'll start to feel the pressure again though if they go down to Germany by a goal early. 

If Brazil can keep it 0-0 or be up 1-0 by half time then I think that the energy they get from the home crowd will be enough to carry them to the final.

I believe the Netherlands have a few too many scoring weapons for Argentina.  Argentina needs MORE than Messi dependence now.  Someone is going to need to step it up and help Messi out. 

Will the South Americans have to face the disapointment of an all Euro final?  Or will it be the final many hoped for at the start with Brazil v. Argentina?

Since I got disappointed the last 12 years, always being second or third in Euros and World Cups, I lost any hope that Germany wins the world cup. And I'm totally prepared that Germany loses to Brazil. Even though Germany is the stronger team, Brazil can't be underestimated. But a final between Germany and the Netherlands or Argentina would be both awesome. They are both classical rivals.

But I also think that the Netherlands will be in the final again. 

I think you are right about Brazil Jon!! I at this point would love to see anyone but Germany...I am half German but I want yo see other countries. It would be cool to see Brazil win in their country but I think Argentina May pull it out. This has been the most exciting World Cup in awhile!!

Meh, I think Brazil won enough world cups for now. :P Also they attempted to dive too often.

#28 Sra.Chois

Sra.Chois

Devoted Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:31 PM

Vamos Germany! Go for the cup. :king: 

#29 Junkie.

Junkie.

Power Poster

• Wind
  • 5,356 posts
  • LocationSlovenia

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:36 PM

poor Brasil.. 

#30 I am Not Purple

I am Not Purple

Advanced Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:30 PM

Deal with it Brazil. That was for all those dives and unfair penalties. :3 It felt so good. xD 1:7.

#31 Sra.Chois

Sra.Chois

Devoted Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:46 PM

Deal with it Brazil. That was for all those dives and unfair penalties. :3 It felt so good. xD 1:7.

t6rza8.jpg

chevere chevere!  :ohyeah: oh yeaahhh..  hahahaha so happy. really! 

#32 relevancy

relevancy

Power Poster

• Members
  • 8,249 posts
  • Mood::wanderlust
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:09 AM

Argh watching the game today was so hard - heartbroken for the Brazil fans but, still cheering for my Netherlands tomorrow  :wub:

"It's better to say too much,  then never to say what you need to say again. " - John Mayer

351eofb.jpg

siggy and avi made by me || visit my showcase for more! || current status: inactive

#33 Junkie.

Junkie.

Power Poster

• Wind
  • 5,356 posts
  • LocationSlovenia

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:32 AM

I know right.. Chile should have won the last time..

#34 I am Not Purple

I am Not Purple

Advanced Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:56 PM

Yeah, Chile shoud've won. 

Ok then, the Final is the following: 

• Germany : Argentina

Third place play-off

• Brazil : Netherlands

All match results are in the first post.

Edited by I am Not Purple, 09 July 2014 - 11:02 PM.

#35 relevancy

relevancy

Power Poster

• Members
  • 8,249 posts
  • Mood::wanderlust
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:55 AM

Ah I am so upset the Dutch lost the game, but the finals should be interesting

"It's better to say too much,  then never to say what you need to say again. " - John Mayer

351eofb.jpg

siggy and avi made by me || visit my showcase for more! || current status: inactive

#36 Junkie.

Junkie.

Power Poster

• Wind
  • 5,356 posts
  • LocationSlovenia

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:26 PM

Someone on the radio said that there shouldn't be a match for the 3rd place.. does anyone agree, because I sure do. One team has 1 day less to prepare for the match. And I think that the 3rd place doesn't really matter..

#37 I am Not Purple

I am Not Purple

Advanced Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:54 PM

Someone on the radio said that there shouldn't be a match for the 3rd place.. does anyone agree, because I sure do. One team has 1 day less to prepare for the match. And I think that the 3rd place doesn't really matter..

Louis van Gaal, manager of the Dutch said that. Doesn't surprise me. :P Nevertheless so does Argentina. They have a day less than Germany. I think it kind off matters in case of earning points in the world ranking. In other sports there is also a third place. But of course playing such a game sucks.

#38 cbmac12

cbmac12

Devoted Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:27 PM

Third place is a joke...
Yes Brazil OUCH...someone tweeted though that Germany deserved it since they lost all the world wars LOL
That game was a JOKE...I mean I know Brazil was without key players but come on!!! Anyway it will be interesting to see Germany and Argentina!! So now I have to say GO GERMANY LOL
Posted Image

deeply inside credit (HP collection)

#39 Mr. Pumpkinhead

Mr. Pumpkinhead

Advanced Member

• Wind
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:32 PM

I'm rooting for Germany AND Messi.  Haha!

If Argentina wins I'll be happier for Messi than anyone else.  I think he deserves it. 

I've made a few friends on this site from Argentina and a few from Germany, so I'll be happy for either side if their team wins it all.

I like the 3rd place match.  Growing up in a Wrestling family 3rd place was a chance for validation.  Sometimes you lost early in a tournament and it was a fluke or you made a mistake and got caught.  Being allowed to wrestle back for 3rd place instills pride and brings a kind of redemption, even if it's not as good as 1st place. 

I say keep the third place match.  If the Dutch don't want to play for it then give 3rd to Brazil.  It's the rules --- so play by the rules.  Everyone wants to complain (including myself here apparently :P ) I say SUCK IT UP and show some metal Netherlands!  Not wanting to play for 3rd is the wussification of sports.

Edited by Mr. Pumpkinhead, 11 July 2014 - 09:39 PM.

Posted Image

#40 I am Not Purple

I am Not Purple

Advanced Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:45 PM

Third place is a joke...
Yes Brazil OUCH...someone tweeted though that Germany deserved it since they lost all the world wars LOL
That game was a JOKE...I mean I know Brazil was without key players but come on!!! Anyway it will be interesting to see Germany and Argentina!! So now I have to say GO GERMANY LOL

hahah fair enough.
Yeah it was. If a team is build around only one or two key players, then I really don't think you have a very good team. If Germany would've lost one or two players, they could be easily replaced. And for a nation like Brazil which usually has good players it's kind of strange.

I'm rooting for Germany AND Messi.  Haha!

If Argentina wins I'll be happier for Messi than anyone else.  I think he deserves it. 

I've made a few friends on this site from Argentina and a few from Germany, so I'll be happy for either side if their team wins it all.

I like the 3rd place match.  Growing up in a Wrestling family 3rd place was a chance for validation.  Sometimes you lost early in a tournament and it was a fluke or you made a mistake and got caught.  Being allowed to wrestle back for 3rd place instills pride and brings a kind of redemption, even if it's not as good as 1st place. 

I say keep the third place match.  If the Dutch don't want to play for it then give 3rd to Brazil.  It's the rules --- so play by the rules.  Everyone wants to complain (including myself here apparently :P ) I say SUCK IT UP and show some metal Netherlands!  Not wanting to play for 3rd is the wussification of sports.

I don't like Messi. :P

Yeah, I agree. It's a little redemption, if it happens once. :P And not twice in a row like in 2006 and 2010.
If Germany loses this time again, I don't know what to do anymore. In 12 years I've seen Germany twice in a final (world cup and euro) and twice 3rd place. Enough is enough!  :sob:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users