I am Not Purple

Advanced Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Mood::meh
  • LocationThe Pale Blue Dot

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:30 AM

I don't know what to say. I can't believe that I would witness a german world cup win. I still can't believe it happened. My throat hurts, I'm a complete mess. Gnight. xD

54' 74' 90' 14'

Edited by I am Not Purple, 14 July 2014 - 02:42 AM.

Yin-Yang_klein.gif I'm Yang, Dina is Yin

Aunt: Arie

#42 Sra.Chois

Sra.Chois

Devoted Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:05 AM

Congrats, Germany!

#43 cbmac12

cbmac12

Devoted Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:14 PM

Ok even I have to admit it would have been nice for Argentina to win- they both played just incredibly well... Go Germany and congrats to Argentina for second place!

Jon, I guess the thing is in my family third place was well nothing lol...I mean they didn't really say much about third but that is also because of how my own dad grew up. Maybe someday I can change the pattern with my own kids :)

All I can say is this: incredible World Cup (save Brazil and Germany game) Lol
Posted Image

deeply inside credit (HP collection)

#44 Mr. Pumpkinhead

Mr. Pumpkinhead

Advanced Member

• Wind
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Mood::Happy =)
  • LocationLooking for Loooove in the Room of Requirement! ;)

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:33 AM

Especially on a younger level I think competing for third or fourth place is important.  Most successful athletes didn't finish first all the time.  Handling failure with dignity, class and developing the drive to learn and grow (and I certainly don't consider 3/4 a failure at a childs level of athletic competition) is just as important as winning the Championship... and in fact, not many can win a Championship without it.

Look at Germany even in this World Cup.  Widu was pointing out the number of close defeats and heartbreaking loses that they have faced in several international competitions over a long period now leading up to this year's World Title.  Those defeats as much as they hurt were likely a driving factor in the program the country put together to get the team where it is now.  I'm thinking they did not forget those loses and took as much if not more from them then they did the wins. 

Then look at Brazil.  A country that has had a sustained period of success on their home soil that they might have taken for granted in the years leading up to this World Cup.  Their past success didn't help them any this year.  I'm betting though that this years faltering will bring a renewed spirit and drive resulting in the resurrection of Brazilian football soon enough.

The thing my dad who was an extremely successful athlete in his own right taught me most about sports is how to be a gentleman, respect your opponent and conduct yourself with class and dignity.  He also taught me hard work and that a Champion is not always made in the result, but is made in the effort, the heart and the manor in which you conduct yourself when things "don't go your way".

I think the way the Dutch played against Brazil for third place belied what their coach said publicly.  The result and the match did seem to matter to them and I applaud them for that.  Who knows maybe that 3rd place finish will be a spring board to even better things for The Netherlands going forward? 

As far as Germany v. Argentina was concerned... THANK GOD... it did not go to a penalty shoot out.  I mean come on, that's got to be the worst designed manner to decide a professional sporting event. 

Congratulations to Germany who were clearly the class of the tournament and had the depth of talent up and down their roster that truly made it a TEAM victory.  Argentina was brilliant defensively but simply too reliant, or "Messidependent" in the offensive half of the field.

Outside of the antics of Luis Suarez I think that the teams and players for each country in each game I watched gave their all and were quality representatives that did their countries proud even though only one country could win it all. 

Congratulations here too, to Widu and Sabine! :happydance:   Too wonderful people who I've had the great fortune to meet on this site who hopefully are taking full advantage of the opportunity to celebrate the well-deserved World Cup Title earned by Germany's footballers.  It makes my heart feel good to know the joy that many truly passionate football fans, including Widu and Sabine, must be feeling right now.  A feeling that hopefully somewhere down the line American Football fans will be fortunate enough to revel in with as much fervor and glory.

Posted Image

Beautiful Emma Watson St. Patrick's Day signature graphic and icon by BoMa
special thank you to BoMa for her talent and her time and to Mr. and Mrs. Watson for having such a photogenic young lady. =p

MY E-FAMILY: e-married to Mrs. Pumpkinhead <3; e-niece: Kim and Kimberley (Kim Twins); e-grandkids: BoMa, Ardi, favorite e-grandchild: Arie<3; e-greatgrandchildren: Will =O, Sarah, Lindy; EX-e-nurse: Carlyn; e-son: Andrew e-daughter: Tara e-soninlaw: Chris e-bestie: Tom jsjs (don't tell Lolly)>.<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users