The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Summer Class - USA - Mathematics

hi everyone ! 

So I have the project to apply for a summer class in mathematics in an american University for the summer 2015.

I'm looking for something "simple", like a first year class. Something that would take a month maybe (like all july ?). I don't know yet where I want to go, I'm comparing different options / price of class / universities. Do you have any advice ? 

My goal is not to graduate in maths, it's only to learn the language and mathematical terms in English, from the best source  :P

• 1 month later...

This depends on a lot of things. Where do you live? What do you plan on majoring in? What are your math skills? What is your price range? Any scholarships? Keep in mind that some colleges don't have the same majoring options as other colleges so you would have to do a lot of research...and as I'm typing this I realized that I may be too late on this post, so with that being said: Have you made any decisions yet?

Edited by Sgt Harbinger

This depends on a lot of things. Where do you live? What do you plan on majoring in? What are your math skills? What is your price range? Any scholarships? Keep in mind that some colleges don't have the same majoring options as other colleges so you would have to do a lot of research...and as I'm typing this I realized that I may be too late on this post, so with that being said: Have you made any decisions yet?

In the right order :

- I live in France and want to spend only one month in the USA

- I don't want to major in anything because I graduated in France so I'm not seeking for any diploma, just the knowledge (if I fail at any exams I actually quite don't care, though I'm going to do it the most seriously possible). If your question means 'what courses do i want to take' : quite anything that's about mathematics, though I love numbers theory and algebra better! 

- I graduated in France (3 years in the University following the French system), that's all I can say about my skills ! (and long story short, after that i'm currently preparing a master degree about teaching, that's not focused on mathematics, I'm doing my second year this year 2014-2015) 

- Price range : I plan on having a budget of 3.600€, which is about 4.800$ for one month, and if I have to take a loan to have the best experience, I'll do !

- Scholarships : not any because it's not for one full year. 

I haven't made any decisions, but I searched for many universities, I saw that a lot of them offer 15 days or one month of courses for about 3.500$ (depending on where, if it's California or somewhere less fancy). A lot of universities take forein students for summer class. Basically, I found many things that could be great that's I'm interested in doing. I'm also thinking about renting a flat thanks to Airbnb more than living in a residential school (for personal reasons :)).

I'm still wondering in which state or city I'd like to go !

This website helped me :

http://www.ams.org/programs/students/high-school/emp-mathcamps

Thanks for answering ! 

Edited by Thessalie

Ah, so it seems as if you are looking for the mathematics knowledge and nothing else. For starters, may I suggest looking up Khan Academy. It's free of charge and you can learn basically any type of mathematics that you may need to at your own pace. Sal is the name of the guy who produces all of the videos and I have learned a lot from this guy.

Edited by Sgt Harbinger