The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Emma Watson is Goodwill Ambassador of UN Women

Not too thrilled with the UN as they're allowing Monsanto and all these corrupt corporations into all these countries via the

Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Rockefeller Bros Foundation and the Koch Bros. In other words--the oligarchies. They

create dependence instead of independence, and that's how they gain control.

IMO, Emma should have stuck it out with People Tree, but I guess she didn't care for the style of the clothes and lost

interest in it.

That's how you help the women get out of poverty--with fair trade and letting women think for themselves and

be creative. People around the world just want to provide for themselves---clean water, heirloom seeds, organic soil. People

have survived for thousands of years and would do just fine without interference from these govt programs and corrupt organizations. 

Emma needs to do some serious research and studying before signing on the dotted line, be it for movies (Weinstein), organizations (UN), or product

promotion ( Lancome was doing animal testing on their products.) She needs to stop listening to others, and be honest and true to herself.

That is how she will find true happiness, peace and harmony. Speaking of peace and harmony--is she still going to teach yoga??

I can't argue with your POV about the teaching others to help themselves SS. Not at all. But IMO I think we need to start somewhere before you can just start teaching people to take over for themselves. Yes we want people to help themselves as I a teacher say that to my students constantly Lol but at the same time I also need to guide them and give them tools. But most importantly I need to teach them how to use those tools. Sometimes it takes longer to teach someone how to use those tools but eventually they will. My best friend was a missionary for 3 years in Haiti and well I guess it is hard to turn your back on someone and say too bad too sad you're on your own. They didn't do that which maybe sometimes it could be a good thing or bad thing. But at the same time again, it is hard to turn the other way and hope they do well and succeed. As for Emma, she is trying and wanting to promote equality in genders. I have to admit that I had to experience harassment only once in my life and have to say it sucks!!!! You don't forget it ever but it does make you stronger and totally taught me to never back down down and stand up for myself. I think what Emma is doing is very valuable and hope her voice will help others. I also hope their organizations will give women and men the tools they need to start being equal in everything but most importantly that violence towards women will be put to an end someday as well.

As for the other programs I mean sometimes the end justifies the means and sometimes have to look past what things are happening if it means helping others. I have to say though that is ALWAYS a hard thing to determine. My best friend's mom is against any animal hurting of any kind so much so that is why she is a vegetarian. She tried raising her kids like that but none of them (7) became vegetarians. It wasn't a matter of rebelling either as all 7 adore animals (all have pets of some kind) but they just didn't /don't think it is cruelty to animals by eating them.

Not too thrilled with the UN as they're allowing Monsanto and all these corrupt corporations into all these countries via the

Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Rockefeller Bros Foundation and the Koch Bros. In other words--the oligarchies. They

IMO, Emma should have stuck it out with People Tree, but I guess she didn't care for the style of the clothes and lost

interest in it.

That's how you help the women get out of poverty--with fair trade and letting women think for themselves and

be creative. People around the world just want to provide for themselves---clean water, heirloom seeds, organic soil. People

have survived for thousands of years and would do just fine without interference from these govt programs and corrupt organizations. 

Emma needs to do some serious research and studying before signing on the dotted line, be it for movies (Weinstein), organizations (UN), or product

promotion ( Lancome was doing animal testing on their products.) She needs to stop listening to others, and be honest and true to herself.

That is how she will find true happiness, peace and harmony. Speaking of peace and harmony--is she still going to teach yoga??

Who in their right mind would turn this down? She couldn't have passed this opportunity to do more good.

Things will change but you gotta start somewhere, I'd like to hear more from her on the subject, coz she did not speak her mind on her appointing, other than a few words. You made a point, too. Let's see what she does with her new UN WOMEN Ambassador position. Let her spread her wings first, work a bit, then we'll come back on the subject.

interest in it.

These are all incredibly valid criticisms, of course! I do think we need to look at the UN's many initiatives separately, however. I don't know much about the UN Women Ambassador program, but I do know a fair amount of UNICEF, and they have one of the highest rates of access to the areas of the world that need assistance and they operate with a very low amount of overhead. The UN is *so* massive, and have so many initiatives, it's not entirely fair to lump them all together.

There are problematic things with anything. People Tree was nice, but the whole industry of Fair Trade still has a lot of problems because even much of the "western world" can't afford to sustain it. Obviously ANY of these things kind of smell of white colonialist crap. It's really very tricky.

i'm not the biggest fan of the UN as a whole, but there are UN programs that i approve of and would like to see more celebrities get involved with, as they bring much more exposure and spotlight than would normal people. face it, famous people do get our attention, for better or for worse.

i do like the UN Women Ambassador Initiative, as it brings world-wide recognition to women's rights and equality, especially to third-world cultures, where women are treated like dogs in hugely male-dominated societies, such as fundemental muslim countries. there will never be peace, prosperity, and progress in the arab world, unless women can take off those horrid body-covering burka things by choice, drive, vote, choose their husband, etc etc etc...things we in the West take for granted.

i am a guy, and quite thankful that i live in a society where women are respected, educated, make good money in good jobs, can choose their boyyfriend/husband/partner whatever, can do pretty much whatever they set their mind to, and i still can't believe that men held down women for like damn near 10,000 years of human history, and just since the 60s basically, have women achieved huge gains in equality, at least in the West. i have a poster on one of my game-room walls of the WW2 Rosie the Riveter, and my hat's off to you women. hell yeahhh!!!

i dream of the day when there are no longer any such things as 'women rights', but gender-free human rights. all humans, regardless of gender/religion/ethnicity/sexual orientation, desreve the rights to life, liberty, and the peronal pursuits of happiness, the freedom of CHOICE...because in the end, it is all about choice.

"...because i choose to." Neo (Matrix Revolutions 2003)

I think she'll have to rely on her past work with People Tree and meld it with her UN work. She did get to talk with

lots of women in Bangladesh and Nepal, so she can use her past knowledge as a stepping stone. As I stated previously,

both men and women just want to make their own decisions and be happy. She should have a long talk with these women,

and ask the most basic ?----what makes you happy, and work from that point. We're all on this planet to be happy and good

stewards of Mother Earth. Elena, you're correct---we'll have to give her time and wait and see. Maybe she'll make this project

her own and make a documentary out of it. 

I know Matt Damon got really angry re:fracking---as we should all be, and made a good movie last year called "Promised Land". 

If you get a chance to see his movie, it's well worth it. It makes a great statement, and it really ticked the oil companies off, which

is exactly what Damon had hoped it would do.

I believe in her too- like I said she has "power" to be heard and hope she can in some way use her status effectively like I believe she can.

I did hear about that movie- need to catch it!