The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Emma Watson UN Goodwill Ambassador

According to Time and also according to Emma's own Twitter post she has been named UN Goodwill Ambassador.  I'm very impressed.

Edited by tabitoo

Good for her. :) I am obviously all about empowering women. I donate to several organizations for similar causes. I'm not sure what the UN Goodwill Ambassador program does, but I'm a really big fan of UNICEF, which is one of the best organizations in terms of access to countries, resources and a low operating cost (especially compared to rather crap organizations like World Vision). I hope this program follows some of the same directives.

Angelina Jolie was a UN Goodwill Ambassador for several years or more, she also supports UNICEF, as did another favorite actress of mine, the beautiful old-Hollywood star, Audrey Hepburn. Audrey spent the last few years of her life, traveling third-world impoverished countries, supporting UNICEF and UN programs. i commend Emma in supporting this cause.

• 2 weeks later...

Good for her. :) I am obviously all about empowering women. I donate to several organizations for similar causes. I'm not sure what the UN Goodwill Ambassador program does, but I'm a really big fan of UNICEF, which is one of the best organizations in terms of access to countries, resources and a low operating cost (especially compared to rather crap organizations like World Vision). I hope this program follows some of the same directives.

I agree on that ! 

I'm glad she has this opportunity, and with what she's done in the past, i believe she can be great in this role.

What do you think she'll have to do ? Pomote their work and ideas ? Travel to show woman's living conditions in other countries ? 

• 1 month later...

For immediate release 

Date11 September 2014

(New York) British Actor and UN Women Goodwill Ambassador Emma Watson will co-host a special event for UN Women’s HeForShe campaign on 20 September 2014, at the United Nations Headquarters in New York City. The event aims to kick-start one of the largest solidarity movements of the 21st century for the achievement of gender equality calling upon one half of humanity in support of the other half for the benefit of all.

Over the next 12 months the HeForShe campaign intends to mobilize one billion men and boys as advocates and agents of change in ending the persisting inequalities faced by women and girls globally. The premise is that inequality is a human rights issue, the resolution of which will benefit everyone - socially, politically and economically.

The special event will bring together gender experts, government officials, senior United Nations officials, civil society organizations and HeForShe celebrity champions and role models to discuss the central role of men and boys in the achievement of gender equality, and to raise awareness that the support of women’s rights is a moral, social and economic imperative for humanity.

What: Special Event for UN Women’s HeForShe campaign.

Attendance by invitation only.

When: Saturday, 20 September 2014 from 5 - 7 p.m.

Where: United Nations Trusteeship Council, New York

Note to media:

The event will be webcast live at: http://webtv.un.org/ and photos will be available for downloading: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2n8flqu6243k8wz/AADpVMiaumiiyw843sHEaZIga?dl=0