The Emma-Watson.net Forum

When I was younger, I really like hello Kitty. She's cute and because I love cats! So I was shocked by some Hello Kitty's revelations.

Hello Kitty is not a cat.

You read that right. When Yano was preparing her written texts for the exhibit at the Japanese American National Museum, she says she described Hello Kitty as a cat. "I was corrected â€” very firmly," she says. "That's one correction Sanrio made for my script for the show. Hello Kitty is not a cat. She's a cartoon character. She is a little girl. She is a friend. But she is not a cat. She's never depicted on all fours. She walks and sits like a two-legged creature. She does have a pet cat of her own, however, and it's called Charmmy Kitty."

Hello Kitty is British.

Kitty is actually named Kitty White and she has a full back story. She is a Scorpio. She loves apple pie. And she is the daughter of George and Mary White.

"She has a twin sister," adds Yano. "She's a perpetual third-grader. She lives outside of London. I could go on. A lot of people don't know the story and a lot don't care. But it's interesting because Hello Kitty emerged in the 1970s, when the Japanese and Japanese women were into Britain. They loved the idea of Britain. It represented the quintessential idealized childhood, almost like a white picket fence. So the biography was created exactly for the tastes of that time."

Hello Kitty has special significance to Asian Americans.

Yes, she's worldwide. But Hello Kitty has had special resonance with Asians who grew up in the United States.

"When Hello Kitty arrived in the U.S. in the mid-1970s, it was a commodity mainly in Asian enclaves: Chinatowns, Japantowns, etc.," explains Yano. "In talking to Japanese Americans who grew up in the 1970s, they say, 'That figure means so much to us because she was ours.' It's something they saw as an identity marker. This is why the exhibition is being held at the Japanese American National Museum. It's about reconnecting her to this community. It gives the whole thing a certain poignancy and power."

Source: www.latimes.com

So what do you guys think about it? For me, how can she be a girl if she has whiskers >.<

So what do you guys think about it? For me, how can she be a girl if she has whiskers >.<

Haha I agree on that, for me it's always been a cat and will always be.

I'm not familiar with Hello Kitty, the only thing i got from this brand was when my Japanese aunt came back from Japan (she's my aunt by marriage, I've no Japanese roots) and she offered to my sisters and I Hello Kitty souvenirs because it was trending in Japan. 

That was cool and cute though ! 

She's a cat-form girl, i accept that. After all, some anime characters have animal likeness. I'll also approve if Disney tells us Mickie Mouse isn't a mouse but a Mouse-form human.

• 2 months later...