The Emma-Watson.net Forum

UN Women HeForShe Campaign Event

Emma's speech was amazing. :). It takes a lot of courage and bravery to speak on a platform as big as the UN, but she was awesome as always

They knew what Emma was saying, as she made it perfectly clear. They just simply do not care because they are just complete, utter scumbags who are bitter because equality and change, in their minds, will take away the power they want to have over others, and these movements are exposing inequality and bigotry as the evil that it is to the world, making it harder for them to try and justify themselves under "conservative traditions and values". These so-called "men's rights activists" aren't actually fighting for men's rights (which is what Emma herself is fighting for along with women's rights), but are merely misogynists fighting against women's rights due to either wanting to maintain power or as revenge for their own lack of success with women. Sadly they'll likely never change as many are sociopaths who actually enjoy being heartless scumbags and hurting other people. Those people can go straight to hell as far as I'm concerned.

harsh but true.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you haven't watched this speech yet you are seriously missing out.

Last Saturday night, I was lucky enough to see Emma Watson deliver a beautiful and inspiring speech at the UN Headquarters in NYC. She spoke about feminism and thIf you haven't watched this speech yet you are seriously missing out.g in solidarity with women. The event launched the He For She campaign, a UN Women endeavor and the largest solidarity movement for gender equality to date.

In her speech, Watson talked about how she became a feminist, and how uncomplicated the decision was for her. She began to question the assumptions people made about gender when she was only eight years old! After being appointed as the UN Women Goodwill Ambassador for the last six months, Watson said she has realized that fighting for women’s rights has too often become synonymous with man-hating, and that the myth about the meaning of Feminism needs to be put to rest.

For the record, feminism by definition is: “The belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities. It is the theory of the political, economic and social equality of the sexes.â€

She went on to say that no country in the world can yet say they have achieved gender equality. It’s hard for me to believe that this is still true in 2014!

Though Watson joked that we must all be wondering why this Harry Potter girl is giving a speech at the UN, her words convinced us of how much she cares about this issue. I can’t imagine there was a single person in that room with me who wasn’t inspired to get involved. Watson reminded us that we can all make a difference, quoting English statesman Edmund Burke with: “All that is needed for the forces of evil to triumph is for enough good men and women to do nothing.†She also left us with her own powerful words:

“In my moments of doubt I’ve told myself firmly—if not me, who, if not now, when?

If you haven't watched this speech yet you are seriously missing out.

Last Saturday night, I was lucky enough to see Emma Watson deliver a beautiful and inspiring speech at the UN Headquarters in NYC. She spoke about feminism and thIf you haven't watched this speech yet you are seriously missing out.g in solidarity with women. The event launched the He For She campaign, a UN Women endeavor and the largest solidarity movement for gender equality to date.

In her speech, Watson talked about how she became a feminist, and how uncomplicated the decision was for her. She began to question the assumptions people made about gender when she was only eight years old! After being appointed as the UN Women Goodwill Ambassador for the last six months, Watson said she has realized that fighting for women’s rights has too often become synonymous with man-hating, and that the myth about the meaning of Feminism needs to be put to rest.

For the record, feminism by definition is: “The belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities. It is the theory of the political, economic and social equality of the sexes.â€

She went on to say that no country in the world can yet say they have achieved gender equality. It’s hard for me to believe that this is still true in 2014!
Though Watson joked that we must all be wondering why this Harry Potter girl is giving a speech at the UN, her words convinced us of how much she cares about this issue. I can’t imagine there was a single person in that room with me who wasn’t inspired to get involved. Watson reminded us that we can all make a difference, quoting English statesman Edmund Burke with: “All that is needed for the forces of evil to triumph is for enough good men and women to do nothing.†She also left us with her own powerful words:

“In my moments of doubt I’ve told myself firmly—if not me, who, if not now, when?

The pic of Emma in your sig is photoshopped.

Since Emma and Rupert are in NYC at this time, they might both want to check out the People's Climate March Sept 21

starts @ 10:30 am in Central Park West between 65th and 86th streets. Also marching will be Cook Organic, Not the Planet 

with Vandana Shiva, an expert Indian activist and anti-globalist.

I trust these participants left the area cleaner than what it was when they started.

This speech was incredible. Period. The thing that I appreciate is that with all the Ray Rice sh$& here in my state and Adrian Petersen news about violence towards women and kids this was something to truly listen and pray and hope for changes in our society. Emma is a good, kind, loving, charitable young woman that I get sick and tired of seeing put down by so called fans here Uncle Jonny as Elena says ;)

No laughing but at moments during her speech, I felt like I was hearing Hermione :)

GO EMMA!!!!!!!! :)

Emma's speech was amazing. :). It takes a lot of courage and bravery to speak on a platform as big as the UN, but she was awesome as always

They knew what Emma was saying, as she made it perfectly clear. They just simply do not care because they are just complete, utter scumbags who are bitter because equality and change, in their minds, will take away the power they want to have over others, and these movements are exposing inequality and bigotry as the evil that it is to the world, making it harder for them to try and justify themselves under "conservative traditions and values". These so-called "men's rights activists" aren't actually fighting for men's rights (which is what Emma herself is fighting for along with women's rights), but are merely misogynists fighting against women's rights due to either wanting to maintain power or as revenge for their own lack of success with women. Sadly they'll likely never change as many are sociopaths who actually enjoy being heartless scumbags and hurting other people. Those people can go straight to hell as far as I'm concerned.

I saddened me to read about those angry people quoting insignificant parts (because taken out of context) and saying she was bringing men against girls, not caring for men... While she actually talked a lot about the impact of differentiating men/women on men. it must be people not ready to talk and hear about feminism, that reject the basic idea that we cause it in our everyday actions, and that every person has the power to make it change. 

Because people hear what they want to hear and ignore all else. She in no shape or form was bringing men against women. All she is trying to do is say enough is enough with inequality. Why is that some jobs are solely meant for women? Why is it that some men won't go into what is called the female profession ie teaching? Because it doesn't pay a lot? Give me a break!!! The truth is our schools today NEED men...so stop being afraid guys of not wanting to join the "female" profession. Also more men need to stand up for women who get battered by some men and to stop saying "oh look what she was wearing, she asked for it" this whole Ray Rice situation is disgusting and despicable and enough already!!!! Punish those men!! Who cares that they are famous athletes??? These guys need consequences and then need serious help. Otherwise we will continue seeing a vicious cycle.

Bottom line- we need equality in all aspects in life.

Go Emma for having the guts/courage to say that many of us have always wanted to say!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I'm posting here something about Emma and feminism, though it's not exactly related to her HeForShe campaign.

I just saw this on tumblr, and I quite don't know what to think of it :

(By the way, where/when did Emma say this ??)

dopenmind:

findyourzen3000:

You’re part of the problem. This isn’t about what men want and like to see. This is about women doing whatever the fuck we want REGARDLESS of what men want and like to see. And more specifically, THIS is about women of color (especially black women) doing whatever they fuck we want regardless of what men AND white women think.

caitlinflavurd:

"Women can have and celebrate their sexual identities without being objects for men."  This is such a naive statement. You can think you are being free when expressing your sexual selves, but that is exactly what men want you to do. So go ahead and shake your ass. Men want to see that shit. Go ahead and be barely dressed, men love that shit too. You women are fooling yourselves. This whole feminist thing is being financed & pushed by MEN. So keep doing what you are doing Beyonce, Iggy, Miley, Nicki, Riri, Lady Gaga, and others. Men love to see women strip while they sing, and then mock them when they want to be taken seriously.

susiethemoderator:

We should also note that Black Women are perceived and fetishized as hyper sexual. Which is why mainstream feminists willingly call Miley Cyrus, Iggy Azalea, and Katy Perry revolutionary and in charge of their bodies meanwhile demonizing Rihanna, Nicki Minaj, and Beyonce.

Lately, feminists like Annie Lennox, bell hooks and Emma Watson have taken issue with Beyoncé’s sexual openness. While trying to discredit Beyoncé as a feminist, they seem to have forgotten one of the most important parts of Chimamanda’s speech in 
***Flawless

"What does a lady dress like, exactly? And who decided what a lady looks like? What bearing should one’s clothing have on one’s identification as a feminist? This is exactly the kind of misogynist policing we’ve fought tooth and claw against for decades, and to level this line of “reasoning†at Beyoncé is not only antifeminist, it is despicable." (
)

“As I was watching [beyonce’s visual album] I felt very conflicted. I felt her message felt very conflicted in the sense that on the one hand she is putting herself in a category of a feminist, but then the camera, it felt very male, such a male voyeuristic experience of her.â€

Not even kind of shocked that Emma Watson said this. I had a feeling she didn’t really get a grip on feminism, and now I know she doesn’t. 

Women can have and celebrate their sexual identities without being objects for men.

Women can have and celebrate their sexual identities without being objects for men.

And the fact that all Emma saw in the video was a woman acting/dressing/dancing a certain way to ultimately please a man, proves she has a long damn way to go. She hasn’t even retaught herself how to think and see women.

It baffles me how the people who do not agree with the way women express themselves always use the existence of men to renounce what we do and then offer silence or invisibility as a solution. You’re saying that because men enjoy women who are scantily clad, dressing or dancing provocatively cannot be a means of personal freedom for women. Every pair of booty shorts worn can only be for the purpose of men because men like to see it. You’re saying that women cannot get in touch with and openly discuss their sexual identities and desires because [some] men enjoy sex with women.

You’ve completely missed the mark and your commentary isn’t necessary in this space that is marginalized two-three-four times over. I can’t even believe you lifted a finger to type that.

[source http://thequeenbey.tumblr.com/post/102623006614/dopenmind-findyourzen3000-caitlinflavurd]

And sorry for the fact that here I can't have the "Tumblr aspect" of the discussion. 

Edited by Thessalie

Tavi Gevinson and Emma Watson Discuss Beyonce

Girls' heads everywhere are exploding this morning, because Tavi Gevinson's been interviewed by ex-Hogwarts indie gal Emma Watson, and together, they discuss Beyonce. The talk picks up where the girls left off from their Tavi-led interview for Rookie last year. As you would expect from these two geniuses, talking about Beyonce's new album quickly turns to concepts of sexuality, empowerment and other good things fairly quickly. Here are a few key points from the interview. We actively encourage discussing these in your next weekly Bey meeting.

On Bey sexuality:
Emma: "I felt her message felt very conflicted in the sense that on the one hand she is putting herself in a category of a feminist, you know this very strong woman and she has that beautiful speech in one of her songs but then the camera, it felt very male, such a male voyeuristic experience of her."
Tavi: "I would not read Miley's behaviour as empowering, but with Beyonce's album, I just felt such a sense of being obsessed with it and read all the interviews and whatever, so I felt that she was in control of it and I also think that when she holds herself up in that way she is changing the standard of what we think of as beautiful in the centre of beauty, or sexually desirable and she expands it to include someone like herself, who is a woman of colour, and I find that so key."

On Bey feminism:
Emma: "I can be a feminist, I can be an intellectual, I can be all these other things but I can also be okay with my feminity and being pretty and with all these things that I thought, you know, would negate my message or negate what I am about. That really is the most interesting thing about the album. It is so inclusive and puts feminism and female empowerment on such a broad spectrum."
Tavi: "It's not perfect and Beyonce is not perfect even though she is kind of a badass but I think it is very generous of her to work these things out publically, to you know, have the songs that include the assemble of like a Ted Talk about feminism. I think it is very generous of her to let us see her relationship to feminism publically and I think that if we are being really nit-picky there are definitely contradictions, but I'm mostly just so thankful that album exists and for me it felt like real progress."

Something we can all agree on is Tavi's comment to round out the interview, "I am so glad you asked me about this because I want to be Beyonce's scholar and just talk about her all the time." We'll see you in class, Tavi!

http://www.oystermag.com/tavi-gevinson-and-emma-watson-discuss-beyonce

That what I found.

Tavi Gevinson Told Emma Watson She Doesn’t Want to Edit Vogue

Masthead-climbers, rest assured: Editorial wunderkind Tavi Gevinson would rather be a Beyoncé scholar than the editor-in-chief of Vogue. Or so she revealed over the course of a 3,500-word, candidly conflicted interview with actress Emma Watson in Wonderland Magazine. First, Watson was conflicted on Gevinson’s behalf: She wants Gevinson to be the editor ofVogue one day, but she also would “hate to see [her] having to conform in any way?†To which Gevinson replied that she, too, has complicated feelings about the successful career she's launched with Rookie:

"For the sake of our community it is really important to be this online accessible publication ... [N]ot that anyone is kind of knocking on my door right now but I don’t think I’d ever want to be like heading a magazine that has this legacy that goes back for so many decades. I’d maybe rather be a friend with that editor-in-chief and you know like send them links to things."

Naturally, Gevinson and Watson are both obsessed with Beyoncé’s new album — but also conflicted! Watson said:

“As I was watching [the videos] I felt very conflicted, I felt her message felt very conflicted in the sense that on the one hand she is putting herself in a category of a feminist, but then the camera, it felt very male, such a male voyeuristic experience of her and I just wondered if you had thoughts about that or if you had any of your own thoughts about any of it really …â€

Gevinson had a lot of her own thoughts about all of it. Here’s a sampling:

“Beyoncé is not perfect even though she is kind of a badass but I think it is very generous of her to work these things out publicly, to you know, have the songs that include the sample of like a Ted Talk about feminism. I think it is very generous of her to let us see her relationship to feminism publicly and I think that if we are being really nit-picky there are definitely contradictions, but I’m mostly just so thankful that album exists and for me it felt like real progress ...

“I think she also makes it as known as she can without putting it in her music that her dad was her manager, she fired him, she started her own company, and she calls the shots. When I watch this album I feel like she is truly displaying her own sense of agency and it is hard to look at a lot of other pop stars right now and say the same, 
which I don’t mean to sound condescending, and I’m obviously not one to argue that young women have self-awareness or autonomy but I do think there is something to be said for seeing Beyoncé’s sexuality being put into the context of a video with her kid in the Grown Woman video it feels like she is so in control, like you said.

“I am so glad you asked me about this because I want to be Beyoncé’s scholar and just talk about her all the time.â€

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Trixie! This little heartfelt speech brought out a lot of hate, I've been collecting articles for a while now both good and bad. It's kinda funny other women say/write stuff like(I meant shit like) Emma Watson doesn't know what she's talking about, like she wrote a speech about rocket science and new ways we could set up a human colony on the Moon or Mars. She talked about human rights. How ''rude'' of her to bring stuff up like that at the UN.

Edited by Elena
  • 1 month later...
Guest Kennyram401

Yeah I totally think she became a in member because I met her or think I met her at brown but I don't remember.

She should actually just be a UN member forever. Thad be sweet.

• 4 weeks later...

Ah! I want one 😂

Well I can send you this photo but is custom by me so is with my logo in the corner ;) then you can print that I some local print shop of yours or order online. ;) so if somebody else what's that let me know.