#41 Elena

Elena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:28 PM

Interesting, that is an important detail, people do not know these depths, we just buy it and wear it w/out thinking of the people who made the pieces.

Another thing is that building collapsed over workers in Bangladesh, who worked for mango and inditex were even after that tragedy happened, treated indifferently as they bared no mind of what happened and took no measure. This is sad and beyond.

''The Fawcett Society said it had been given assurances that the clothing was produced to “ethical standards'' can't they just f**k off? 

It's obvious they weren't produced at ethical standards if they don't have accomodation for the workers and they're paid only 62 pence an hour.

PS: they were sold at the price of 85 pounds on the whistles.com site. The sweatshirts are now removed.

Edited by Elena, 03 November 2014 - 12:30 PM.

sig by ashley

6.png

#42 Jonny Carinthia

Jonny Carinthia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:42 PM

Yes, but this story - about the shirts - was a big thing in the UK. So I cannot understand why Emma agreed to wear one of these for a shooting.... Or was this shooting done months ago??? I mean, she is a official representative for "feminism-rights" now, so she (or her people) should do a bit more of research. Otherwise it looks like that she is not living what she tries to sell....... She has definitly the last word what she will wear during a shooting, so...... do not blame others!

Edited by Jonny Carinthia, 03 November 2014 - 12:44 PM.

"Benutze es!" = "Use it!"

„Dreams come true; without that possibility, nature would not incite us to have them.” John Updike

#43 Elena

Elena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:22 PM

Yes, but this story - about the shirts - was a big thing in the UK. So I cannot understand why Emma agreed to wear one of these for a shooting.... Or was this shooting done months ago??? I mean, she is a official representative for "feminism-rights" now, so she (or her people) should do a bit more of research. Otherwise it looks like that she is not living what she tries to sell....... She has definitly the last word what she will wear during a shooting, so...... do not blame others!

The editor of ELLE UK contacted her right away, probably as soon as they knew she'd be there at the UN Headquarters and the day after she had the interview we now are able to read online and on print. It was mentioned in the mag the photoshoot was planned ahead as all big magazines do. Emma didn't know what's she's wearing until the shooting day(I'm sure) and because she has had several warbrobe changes she can't stop and ask them who made this? is it ethical? She doesn't afford to stop production coz she's got questions(they're on a timer to finish with the photoshoot) about how the sweatshirts were actually made and where and when and how much the workers were paid. I do wish she went back to the editor and told her a few things like she lorraine candy deserves, the whole thing is grossing me out.

sig by ashley

6.png

#44 Jonny Carinthia

Jonny Carinthia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 04 November 2014 - 12:27 PM

As I said, I have no idea, when the shoot took place. The story about the shirts was out weeks ago, so......
But, as I see, Emma is not reading newspapers or watching TV....
As ambassador for female rights she should know about such things.... It's part of her job.

Edited by Jonny Carinthia, 04 November 2014 - 12:28 PM.

„Dreams come true; without that possibility, nature would not incite us to have them.” John Updike

#45 MaggieTheCat

MaggieTheCat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationWarszawa

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:10 PM

Photo shoots are usually done a few months before the release of the magazine, e.g. Angelina Jolie shot with Mario Testino at the beginning of July and the cover was released just yesterday.  
Tbh, I saw an article about those shirts only a few days ago. Was the information really published weeks ago? I’m not trying to justify why she wore the blouse, but she may have just taken it for granted they were produced to “ethical standards”. ‘Cause Elle is a rather serious magazine (serious when it comes to fashion magazines) and they should have taken care of it themselves. For me, it would be obvious that blouses, which are promoted everywhere (so their production will interest some for sure), were made by people treated well. And it would be even more obvious since it's for a good cause, for feminism, for egalite. 
It’s a sad world. Companies earn millions of dollars (pounds or whatever) and people who work for them live in poverty. 

#46 Jonny Carinthia

Jonny Carinthia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:43 PM

And this is makes the difference between a good team and a bad one: Emma must not know the story by herself, but her people..... She is ambassador for a sometimes very emotional discussed theme, and her management, her PR-guru and all the other certainly high payed people should protect her. It looks, well, crazy, that she is wearing this shirt..... Not good PR-work.

#47 MaggieTheCat

MaggieTheCat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationWarszawa

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:06 PM

Let's be honest, it makes her look like a hypocrite. And I hope she isn't one in real life. All in all, it's a lesson for her. She will be definitely more careful in future.

#48 Jonny Carinthia

Jonny Carinthia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:10 PM

Let's be honest, it makes her look like a hypocrite. And I hope she isn't one in real life. All in all, it's a lesson for her. She will be definitely more careful in future.

That's her dilemma. She wants to be professional, but in the end there is always something, ruining the perfect image. Her lack of passion for her fans, the "Ask Emma" - soap-bubble (ended after 5 questions), the shirt-desaster, the after-party she missed because she slept in, the lie about her pole-dancing-lessons, the desaster during shooting of "This is the end", the answering of questions of her own staff (sitting at her side) during the twitter-chat, her "work commitments" preventing her to go to Zambia (but she went to the Hamptons and to concerts in New York), her hilarious performance after the split with Will......  If she would have a good working team, nothing of this would ever happen........ It is in my opinion not alone her job to be careful; there must be somebody who tell her: "Not that shirt, Ems!" This is the job of a good PR-man. And, honestly: even if the story was not up at the time of the ELLE-Shooting, I would have questioned the origin of that shirt. Stories about poor women in sweatshops are nothing new; and believing that these shirts were made in a expensive way is simply stupid.

Edited by Jonny Carinthia, 04 November 2014 - 04:14 PM.

#49 cbmac12

cbmac12

Devoted Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:38 PM

You want to know something captain or whatever the heck your icon is?? No one else on here tries to find ways to tear Emma down. No one else brought up the whole shirt thing- which btw is from supposedly media reports and we know how reliably true those reports always are after all. NOT...who knows if it was known or not, bottom line is what Emma is doing to promote equality in the world I am all for. The one thing I am sick of on here is how you ALWAYS find ways to tear her down. ALWAYS. Since my being here I don't believe I have seen you say more than 2 kind or positive things about her. I hear she made a Paddington design- go ahead and say how she really hates butterflies but chose that design. You are the worse kind of troll on here and I wouldn't be surprised if you don't troll other websites of kind and talented actresses. I don't get what the purpose was of bringing media reports up. You truly are the person who "would take candy from a baby".

Sorry but I had to say this...just gets old after awhile. To my Emma buddies, I'm sorry for turning this into an angry post but I am just sick of captain hypocrite.

Elena, I know what yas mean :)
Posted Image

deeply inside credit (HP collection)

#50 Jonny Carinthia

Jonny Carinthia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:51 PM

Bla....bla....bla.....

Please do me a favour and switch on your brain.

I can't believe that a grown up woman, TEACHER, is so naive.

Edited by Jonny Carinthia, 04 November 2014 - 08:54 PM.

#51 Szalka

Szalka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationHexham , UK

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:18 PM

so we must stop wearing Nike , Adidas , Puma , shoes. And stop uses a Apple stuff etc. The company like this ones use cheap workers in Africa for ages now and nobody talk about it. Why? Well maybe because they are big corporation. Or something else. 

And may be Emma Team make mistake sometimes too. Everybody make mistakes that is human. And I don't see this mistake like big big fail in Emma's image or career. Don't forget that emma isn't stupid person, or naive. She makes mistake like normal person as well.   

But really ask yourself question. When you do shopping do you check every wardrobe original production country or you just buy them because the company is Nike or Adidas so is German 100%. But is not. 

Sorry guys this is how I see it.

"I don't want other people to decide who I am. I want to decide that for myself." 

Hot-Emma-Watson-GIF.giftumblr_n2a8gukRTG1s6o2svo2_250.giftumblr_n2a8gukRTG1s6o2svo1_250.gif

#52 Jonny Carinthia

Jonny Carinthia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:28 PM

I have to disagree. If I pay people a lot of money (like Emma certainly does), I expect a perfect work, a pefect briefing and a perfect organisation of my official duties. A good PR-man would strongly recomment to her NOT to talk about dead hamsters at award-ceremonies. Maybe some little girls think, that this is "cute", but grown up film producers, journalists and media-people will only shake their head..... (read the Hollywood-Reporter).

Emma is of course a human beeing and can make mistakes. But she must can rely on a perfect supportive team that most of the errors never can happen. Luke gets a lot of money, so he should do his job. It's not done to sit with her at official engagements or carry her luggage........

#53 dookdookdook

dookdookdook

Technical Support

• Administrators
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:26 AM

Emma does not look like a hypocrite. There is nothing in any of this that should reflect badly on her. Or her PR team.

Contrary to what Jonny is spewing out, the story about sweatshop workers is only 5 or 6 days old. The photoshoot was long before that. Coincidentally, the Elle issue also came out about 6 days ago. Coincidence? With the garbage the daily mail prints, I doubt it.

There were stories about the Fawcett shirts before that, but it was about who would or wouldn't wear them - Cameron, etc. Unless Emma went back to Divination class, there is no way she or her PR saw this coming.

By the way, here is the latest statement from Fawcett about the allegations, bolding is mine.

Dear Fawcett members and supporters,

We would like to update you on the situation with regards to the allegations made in this week’s Mail on Sunday that our Whistles produced ‘this is what a feminist looks like’ t-shirts may not have been made in line with the ethical standards that Fawcett would require of any product bearing our name.

We have been working around the clock to investigate these allegations since we first became aware of them on Saturday and are pleased to confirm that we have today seen expansive and current evidence from Whistles that the CMT factory in Mauritius they used to produce our ‘this is what a feminist looks like’ T-shirt conforms to ethical standards. We have been particularly pleased to receive evidence that:

- 100% of workers are paid above the government-mandated minimum wage and all workers are paid according to their skills and years of service.
- The standard working week is 45 hours, and workers are compensated (at a higher rate of pay) for any overtime worked.
- There is a high retention of staff and employees are offered training and development.
- An audit into the CMT factory was carried out in October 2014 by an independent not-for-profit organisation and this did not reveal any material concerns on the working conditions, the welfare or the health and safety of workers.
- Workers are able to join a union and there is a union presence in the factory.

The evidence we have seen categorically refutes the assertion that the ‘this is what a feminist looks like’ T-shirts produced by Whistles were made in a sweatshop.

As for your other nonsense Jonny, the lie about pole-dance lessons is yours, the rest is your disappointments and delusions.

#54 Emma_Rules

Emma_Rules

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, Virginia

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:17 AM

That's her dilemma. She wants to be professional.....bla bla bla

Emma IS a professional, since that first HP audition interview at the age of nine. the rest of your comment isn't worth even the bla bla bla part.

good_music_zps1def08f8.gif

#55 Elena

Elena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:32 PM

Emma does not look like a hypocrite. There is nothing in any of this that should reflect badly on her. Or her PR team.

Contrary to what Jonny is spewing out, the story about sweatshop workers is only 5 or 6 days old. The photoshoot was long before that. Coincidentally, the Elle issue also came out about 6 days ago. Coincidence? With the garbage the daily mail prints, I doubt it.

There were stories about the Fawcett shirts before that, but it was about who would or wouldn't wear them - Cameron, etc. Unless Emma went back to Divination class, there is no way she or her PR saw this coming.

By the way, here is the latest statement from Fawcett about the allegations, bolding is mine.

Dear Fawcett members and supporters,

We would like to update you on the situation with regards to the allegations made in this week’s Mail on Sunday that our Whistles produced ‘this is what a feminist looks like’ t-shirts may not have been made in line with the ethical standards that Fawcett would require of any product bearing our name.

We have been working around the clock to investigate these allegations since we first became aware of them on Saturday and are pleased to confirm that we have today seen expansive and current evidence from Whistles that the CMT factory in Mauritius they used to produce our ‘this is what a feminist looks like’ T-shirt conforms to ethical standards. We have been particularly pleased to receive evidence that:

- 100% of workers are paid above the government-mandated minimum wage and all workers are paid according to their skills and years of service.
- The standard working week is 45 hours, and workers are compensated (at a higher rate of pay) for any overtime worked.
- There is a high retention of staff and employees are offered training and development.
- An audit into the CMT factory was carried out in October 2014 by an independent not-for-profit organisation and this did not reveal any material concerns on the working conditions, the welfare or the health and safety of workers.
- Workers are able to join a union and there is a union presence in the factory.

The evidence we have seen categorically refutes the assertion that the ‘this is what a feminist looks like’ T-shirts produced by Whistles were made in a sweatshop.

As for your other nonsense Jonny, the lie about pole-dance lessons is yours, the rest is your disappointments and delusions.

this makes me feel better but there's still a lot of injustice about this(underpaid workers, poor working conditions etc that will not go away any time soon) but at least this is in good standing.

You want to know something captain or whatever the heck your icon is?? No one else on here tries to find ways to tear Emma down. No one else brought up the whole shirt thing- which btw is from supposedly media reports and we know how reliably true those reports always are after all. NOT...who knows if it was known or not, bottom line is what Emma is doing to promote equality in the world I am all for. The one thing I am sick of on here is how you ALWAYS find ways to tear her down. ALWAYS. Since my being here I don't believe I have seen you say more than 2 kind or positive things about her. I hear she made a Paddington design- go ahead and say how she really hates butterflies but chose that design. You are the worse kind of troll on here and I wouldn't be surprised if you don't troll other websites of kind and talented actresses. I don't get what the purpose was of bringing media reports up. You truly are the person who "would take candy from a baby".

Sorry but I had to say this...just gets old after awhile. To my Emma buddies, I'm sorry for turning this into an angry post but I am just sick of captain hypocrite.

Elena, I know what yas mean :)

well you know, the bangladesh story where a building collapsed with workers inside affected me because I haven't seen anything that would seem like somebody gave a darn about it(like inditex or mango since allegedly the workers were hired by them)  so I still believe it should be mentioned that the clothes are/were made by well paid workers in mauritius(or whatever island or country), salary and conditions in which they're made from the beggining, and I am darn sure emma will ask about it next time coz she's nobody's fool.

sig by ashley

6.png

#56 jim

jim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:10 AM

I do think this looks bad for Emma...but I don't think that she intentionally did anything wrong.

From this article,

http://www.theblaze....inist-t-shirts/

It seems that people were told that the shirts were going to be made in the UK, but then the shirts ended up being made in Mauritius.

So I don't think that Emma or her PR team could have possibly known.  

However, I think politics can sometimes go bad.  Often people start with the right motive...and somewhere along the line it becomes corrupted.  In this case, it became, "Hey, let's get our equal rights message out by selling $72 shirts...who cares if they were made in sweatshops where people have no rights, there's lots of money to be raised."

It's scary the things people can do under the, "For the greater good" motto!

But again, I don't think Emma knew...sometimes bad things just happen.

#57 cbmac12

cbmac12

Devoted Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 November 2014 - 06:48 PM

But again Dooks, that is the difference between you and the garbage spewer... YOU look things up and try to back up Emma which is very appreciated. That OTHER person tries to shoot her down whenever possible. I guarantee you that if news broke out that Emma rescued a kitten from a raging river that THAT OTHER person here would say she threw the kitten in. Why? BECAUSE THAT person here who doesn't deserve anymore to be addressed by name hates Emma clearly and he will always try to pull her down.
Posted Image

#58 Jonny Carinthia

Jonny Carinthia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 16 November 2014 - 08:32 PM

You understand.... nothing. And I am tired to explain it again and again and again. It's simply the fact that you cannot read and that you do not understand what I say. When it comes to you, I give up. Honestly. I am sorry for the children you teach......

#59 Thessalie

Thessalie

Dedicated Member

• Wind
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:49 AM

the lie about her pole-dancing-lessons, the desaster during shooting of "This is the end" (...) her hilarious performance after the split with Will......  

What was that about ? I must have missed something.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself. 

Desiderata

Max Ehrmann

#60 cbmac12

cbmac12

Devoted Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:20 AM

Because this moron is just like tabloid press writer who hates Emma and trolls here. Unfortunately this is an open site and as much as he clearly hates Emma, he is permitted to stay. I respect our mods for even allowing trolls here because honestly it is amusement at this point. We all just need to laugh when he posts his dumb arse truths as he likes to say about her. Because you see, he knows everything!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users