The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Emma to star in Disney's 'Beauty and the Beast'

“Harry Potter†alum Emma Watson has closed a deal to star in Disney’s live-action musical “Beauty and the Beast,†TheWrap has learned.

Bill Condon (“The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawnâ€) will direct from a script written by Stephen Chbosky, who directed Watson in “The Perks of Being a Wallflower.†Evan Spiliotopoulos wrote the previous draft of the screenplay.

David Hoberman and Todd Lieberman are producing under their Mandeville Films banner.

Watson is set to play Belle in “Beauty and the Beast,†which is the latest Disney classic to receive a live-action adaptation following “Maleficent,†“Cinderella†and Jon Favreau‘s upcoming take on “The Jungle Book.â€

Watson had previously been attached to star in Guillermo del Toro’s “Beauty,†which the director was developing for Warner Bros. before exiting the project in June, when Disney hired Condon. When WB’s version hit a snag, Disney began to court Watson for its own adaptation with del Toro’s blessing, as the studio agreed that Watson would be perfect as Belle, according to a source.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"A couple of new details here. You might be wondering, since the original report doesn't mention any story details, how exactly this thing is going to play out. Sources tell HitFix that Condon won't only be drawing from the 1991 Disney film. In his pitch to the studio, the director said he would also include most, if not all, of the Menken/Rice songs from the Broadway musical that ran for 13 years from 1994 to 2007. It will be a "straight-forward, live action, large-budget movie musical," we're told."

I can't even begin to say how excited I am over this- I was literally screaming with joy when I got home from work to read this news- my all time fav Disney movie is Beauty and the Beast- I have a pic of me hugging Beast when I was younger :) I have a music globe of Beauty and the Beast along with a poster and of course soundtrack and DVD. Emma is someone whom I ALWAYS pictured as Belle. This was beyond perfect casting. I am dying to see her dancing and singing talent!!!!!!! :) as for La La Land- maybe she was waiting to hear news about Belle which was why we didn't hear confirmation. Personally I am so freakin psyched that she will portray my second favorite heroine of all time (Hermione being #1 of course ;).

I again just have to say: PERFECT CASTING!!!!!!!!!!! :) she even looks similar to Belle which is so cool :) obviously Beauty and Beast was way before HP, so at the time Belle was my favorite heroine ever. I just love the love story between Beast and Belle. Who knew years later Ron/Hermione would take their place in my heart :)

We have seen Emma dance and honestly the girl has moves!!! We got to hear background vocals from her which I know is not the same as lead solos but her voice sounds beautiful.

Side note- Maleficent was AWESOME. Disney did an amazing job with it!!!! :)

I don't think she's turning it down, I think these two productions are going to happen around the same time and she has to pick one or the other.

I'm sure she would love to do both, but had to make a tough decision.

Don't care as long as it is one or the other!!! :) of course I am greedy and would want to see her do both ;) But Belle!!!!! Think the movie news people have been eagerly awaiting this to happen xx

Btw on twitter just now she did a line from from "Belle" song- she seriously is the cutest and sweetest thing :)

Edited by cbmac12

Don't care as long as it is one or the other!!! :) of course I am greedy and would want to see her do both ;) But Belle!!!!! Think the movie news people have been eagerly awaiting this to happen xx

Btw on twitter just now she did a line from from "Belle" song- she seriously is the cutest and sweetest thing :)

omgsh isn't she the cutest?!

this is the most excited I've seen Emma be about a role! it's so adorable!

i'm so excited for this!

i didn't grow up watching animated movies (besides lion king) but I've been loving these live action disney movies ALOT so I'm super excited to see this.

although, I should probably watch the animated version too :P

I think the role in "La La Land" would be more challenging and prestigious (especially now when "Whiplash" has so many Oscars nominations), but I'm happy nonetheless! "Beauty and the Beast" is one of my favourite animated films ever. (I even watched it yesterday once again.) And ohhh, I'm so happy she got the role. Usually, I'm rather sceptical about live-action adaptations of animated films, but I found "Maleficent" great so now I'm full of hope future Disney productions will be even better! 

So, what's a live action? Coz i am not big on films and stuff and I'm far behind. Don't virtually kick my a** for asking, just enlighten me please.

I'm embarassed but hey, this forum saw worse than my little lack of info.

Edited by Elena