The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Emma Watson's Book Club

from Just Jared:

Emma Watson has started her very own book club — but not just any book club, a feminist book club.

Here’s what the 25-year-old actress and activist wrote to fans on her official Facebook:

“As part of my work with UN Women, I have started reading as many books and essays about equality as I can get my hands on. There is so much amazing stuff out there! Funny, inspiring, sad, thought-provoking, empowering! I’ve been discovering so much that, at times, I’ve felt like my head was about to explode… I decided to start a Feminist book club, as I want to share what I’m learning and hear your thoughts too,†she wrote.

Emma added, “The plan is to select and read a book every month, then discuss the work during the month’s last week (to give everyone time to read it!). I will post some questions/quotes to get things started, but I would love for this to grow into an open discussion with and between you all. Whenever possible I hope to have the author, or another prominent voice on the subject, join the conversation.

“If you fancy it, please join up and participate. Everyone is welcome. I would be honoured!â€

I'm actually pretty excited about this! I want to learn more about Feminism since I'm pretty ignorant on the subject! I doubt I'll be able to buy every book each month, but I'll be excited to be directed to the right reading material!

Exactly!

That is a brilliant idea of hers, I'm actually willing to participate if I can get the book. 

That is a perfect way to spread feminism : share ideas, make people think and form an opinion whithout having a real leader influencing the dialogue (I mean, during the talks afetr reading the book, the leading idea being what's in the book). 

[That's the exact moment when I regret the most not being bilingual in English, cause I can't properly explain myself as I would do in Franch!]

This is really interesting, but I guess if was more about just books in general maybe it would be more appealing to everyone. I'm actually not interested of the feminist books much, yet it would be great to give it a try!

Ashley feminist books mostly talking about women's rights, rights for education and equality. These are the major themes of every book!

well, even Robinson Crusoe is good. I guess you are aware that literature is not just about "feminist" and as I said if it was about literature in general, it would be more appealing and this is my point of view. I'm not forcing you to accept what I say, but there are many other topics in literature it would be good to discuss these from different analysis theories. Hope you read about this to be more informative instead of getting annoyed or whatever it is! 

well, even Robinson Crusoe is good. I guess you are aware that literature is not just about "feminist" and as I said if it was about literature in general, it would be more appealing and this is my point of view. I'm not forcing you to accept what I say, but there are many other topics in literature it would be good to discuss these from different analysis theories. Hope you read about this to be more informative instead of getting annoyed or whatever it is! 

I could never get/be annoyed or angry, pissed at, or whatever over someone's opinion, I know my stuff and you everybody else knows theirs.

Fact is, she's still a Women's Goodwill ambassadress, working on women's right which is human rights yes. But she's taking small steps, trying to open people's minds about equality and feminism, what that stuff means etc. You cannot build an empire overnight. Read that stuff to broaden your horizons, don't pull it away just because it's all about women.

^

Dear, I'm a woman myself and I guess there are other cases could be good to open other people's mind about as well as feminism, but anyway I don't like to discuss this more with you as your attitude is annoying and so defensive! 

This is really interesting, but I guess if was more about just books in general maybe it would be more appealing to everyone. I'm actually not interested of the feminist books much, yet it would be great to give it a try!

She's not seeking fame or likes, she's not a Kardashian haha

She wants to guide people into widening their view on feminism. Now if someone doesn't feel concerned (like you), well, this book club is not for you ;)

She's not here just to make you read, that's not the point of her group. 

Edited by Thessalie

She's not seeking fame or likes, she's not a Kardashian haha

She wants to guide people into widening their view on feminism. Now if someone doesn't feel concerned (like you), well, this book club is not for you ;)

She's not here just to make you read, that's not the point of her group.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think I said she is seeking fame or that I'm against feminism, I just stated my opinion and you all getting defensive. Apparently, you are not even welcoming other opinions who are not agreeing with you and another thing is I studied about feminism and I'm aware of it as I'm English Literature student. You need to accept other opinions and not attacking everyone and going on on thinking they are thinking of something else as you said she is not seeking fame even though I didn't jump to this aspect.

Just for youe information there are other problems you could widen your views about from many literary works such as, Child labor, Marxism, Philosophy and Feminism. Basically, what I meant was to widen people's views on all these problems including feminism. Just relax everyone I'm not stating my opinion to attack anyone or force you to accept it!

Edited by �lmok

Ashley feminist books mostly talking about women's rights, rights for education and equality. These are the major themes of every book!

Yes that's what I want to learn more about!

Yes that's what I want to learn more about!

me too

^

Dear, I'm a woman myself and I guess there are other cases could be good to open other people's mind about as well as feminism, but anyway I don't like to discuss this more with you as your attitude is annoying and so defensive! 

thank you!

Feminism is one word: equality. I am disgusted how SOME men think we women are not equals. If you are a believer in the Bible as I am, Adam and Eve were created equally. It is sad that people can't see we are all equal-both men and women and that's what Emma's trying to get across. She believes in equality, hence HeForShe :)

My fave bookstore can order it for me so that's so nice of them:)

Anyway I want to read other books, just got into Dale Carnegie's How to win friends...

What books do you want to read? Oh and I will check with the city's county library if they have it or not.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with equality. However, the first book Emma recommends is by Gloria Steinem.  Another feminist (Camile  Paglia), called Ms. Steinem's brand of feminism a "Blame men first mentality."  That's not the same thing as equality (although I don't like Ms. Paglia, either, so maybe that can be taken with a grain of salt).

But my problem is that I've seen Ms. Steinem interviewed live, she was asked what I feel was a fair question, that being, "Can you be a feminist and be pro-life?" She gave what I thought was a smart-aleck answer, basically saying, "You can be pro-life for your body, but not for anyone else."  Well, a pro-life person could say the same thing, they could say, "Well, you can be pro-choice for your body, but not for a developing baby's body".  But where does any of this playing with words get us?  

Honestly, I think there are many areas where people that consider themselves pro-life and people that are pro-choice feminists could work together.  Both would be against sex trafficking/date rape/population control, etc.  But in Steinem's view, you can't be a feminist if you aren't pro-choice.  

So I think it's disappointing that Emma posts a Gloria Steinem work as her first recommendation.  You're not going to broaden the base of feminists by basically alienating half of the population.  

I mean, I'm not one that's going to go around and protest a planned parenthood clinic with signs and such.  But at the same time, I've seen people trying to deal with the guilt from making a decision to have an abortion.  Of course it's forgivable  But the guilt is real.  Ms. Steinem may think that the guilt comes from society, but I don't think that's the case.  I think it's internal and real.  So, in my opinion, when you have someone that's promoting reproductive "rights" to the point of trivializing, what at the very least is a difficult situation, that's a terrible thing.  And to not be willing to work with any people that disagree, that's just beyond the pale.  

But that's just my opinion.  And there's nothing wrong with reading books (or watching interviews) from people that don't agree with one's opinion!   :)

Edited by jim

interesting point of view. I mean I saw this pic of gloria steinem wearing a tshirt saying ''i had an abortion''.

so I understand, but I cant hate a book or a person for that stuffs, it's just them.

Edited by Elena