The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Favorite Musicals?

I don't think this really fits under the movies category...so here we are :)

I love musicals! I love old school ones, like Oklahoma, South Pacific, and the Music Man.

And some of my new favorites are Company and The Light in the Piazza.

What are yours? and if you don't like musicals, why not?

I love musicals too! :ohyeah:

I've probably seen close to 30 or 40 musicals...maaaayyybbbee more than that.

My favorites that I've seen are Rent, Wicked *which is an amazing book and series btw too, though nothing like the musical*, The Scarlett Pimpernell, Phantom of the Opera and South Pacific.

A few others I've seen include Camelot, Spam-a-lot, Pump Boys and Dinettes, Cats, Showboat, Pippin and Fiddler on the Roof.

I would love to see West Side Story, Les Mis and Oklahoma among others.

Oklahoma!

Les Mis

Showboat

I forgot about Le Mis and Showboat! I loved both of them when I was younger but I never really understood the historical context of Le Mis so I should probably see it again. :)

To be honest I haven't seen too many and i'd like to see more, but I do like West Side Story, I love the music, especially 'Somewhere'. I have heard so many brilliant versions of that song.

I love the song somewhere, however, I have tried to start West Side Story like three times and have NEVER finished it. I don't know what it is! People love it, I just..can't get into it.

And I forgot to mention Wicked. I just saw it in Boston a few weeks ago, and it was really good! Actually, very full of social commentary which I appreciate.

I never really understood the historical context of Le Mis so I should probably see it again. :)

You need to understand the emotional context of the characters more than anything. The historical context is just the background. Although interesting it just provides a setting - at least for the musical. It's the characters that make the show.

• 2 months later...

Only seen one musical live; The Scarlett Pimpernel! So good I went to see it twice <3

Then we go over to movies... Bugsy Malone, Sweeny Todd, The Nightmare before Christmas, Buffy; Once more with Feeling, Chicago... I really enjoyed Grease but it's def not a favorite. Have still to see Hair, Jesus Christ Superstar, Cats and Les Miserables which I think I'd like. :) Unfortunately I didn't like Hairspray, the Phantom of the Opera or the Sound of Music!

• 2 months later...

The Phantom of the Opera

Jesus Christ Superstar

My Fair Lady

Gypsy

Chicago

How to Succeed In Business Without Really Trying

Cats

The Pajama Game

Cabaret

Guys and Dolls

Carousel

42nd Street

Into the Woods

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Hello Dolly

Singin' In the Rain

Victor/Victoria

I love tons of other musicals but these are my favs. I hope I didn't miss any..

Fiddler on the Roof is one I can watch every once in awhile. Also, I don't know if it can technically be considered a musical, but the Broadway play Phantom of the Opera.

Edited by ckravitz

Also, I don't know if it can technically be considered a musical, but the Broadway play Phantom of the Opera.

If you're talking about the Andrew Lloyd Webber version, then yes, it's considered a musical. I know Webber is wildly successful but I'm not that crazy about his shows. I liked Phantom okay but didn't really care for Cats. His shows just seem like a lot of fluff without much substance.

Another one that I forgot to mention that I like is The Secret Garden. The sets on that show were so amazing, I hadn't really ever seen anything like it before or since. And it's a great story too with good music.