The Emma-Watson.net Forum

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely a sad good-bye T_T. I've been impressed this season so far, the writing and overall production feel like it's back on par with where it was during the 5th season and before. I was disappointed with quite a few of the episodes in season 6, so I'm a bit relieved. I can't wait to see what they do for the 50th anniversary!!!

Oh my God.

I never watch Doctor Who. Hadn't watched an episode. But I do have a Tumblr and so I have been exposed to the fandom, know roughly who the characters are (at least I can match a face to a name), etc. So obviously "The Angels Take Manhattan" aired and my Tumblr dash positively EXPLODED. It really piqued my interest, so I found a video online and was absolutely mesmerized. I even sobbed through the entire end. And I swear to god the weeping angels are the scariest thing ever.

I've decided to watch the whole series and after polling my Whovian friends, I've decided to start with Series 1 of the reboot. Some suggested starting with Matt Smith and then watching David Tennant and then Christopher Eccleston, but more agreed it was easier to follow if I started from the beginning. I've only watched two episodes so far but I really like it. :D

I've decided to watch the whole series and after polling my Whovian friends, I've decided to start with Series 1 of the reboot. Some suggested starting with Matt Smith and then watching David Tennant and then Christopher Eccleston, but more agreed it was easier to follow if I started from the beginning. I've only watched two episodes so far but I really like it. :D

What would be the point in that? Your best starting with Christopher Eccleston. Even if he is disgustingly terrible.

What would be the point in that? Your best starting with Christopher Eccleston. Even if he is disgustingly terrible.

It does make more sense to see the series in sequence, but a good reason to start with a different Doctor is that if you start with a "terrible" one, it could put you off watching the show. They used to show the old series here, which is how I became a fan, but there are some Doctors that I only watched because I was a fan. If they had been my first exposure, I probably wouldn't have continued watching.

Of course Eccleston has many fans too.

Eccleston was a decent doctor but he definitely wasn't a David Tennant. I think Tennant really eclipsed Eccleston in the end. I'd have to say I actually quite enjoy a lot of the older doctors before the reboot. I've only watched up to about series 16 of the old series which is about the middle of the Tom Baker era but they have a uniqueness all of their own. Of course it's hard to compare the old series to the new series because the serial format vs the single episode format is very different. There's also a certain subdivision when it comes to the Hartnell independent science fiction serials and the history serials which they stopped using around the second doctor when everything became vastly more sci-fi. Then you also have all the missing episodes from the first doctor and second doctor so for a newbie like myself judging them based on the remakes isn't entirely fair.

Any who the reboot who is much more action oriented which caters to the modern audience so you'd definitely be better off starting there. While I personally think David Tennant was the best, I have to say that each actor has brought something unique to the character and I haven't been disappointed with any of the Doctor's yet.

Okay I marathoned series one today (finally, a productive sick day!) and I actually REALLY like Eccleston. So I hope David Tennant lives up to the hype. I think I developed a bit of a strange crush on Eccleston (strange because I am a lezzie and, somewhat predictably, don't usually have strong feelings toward male actors). I'm really sad that he only had the one season and now I have to live my life with a new Doctor just when I really liked this one... BUT David Tennant is pretty much known for this role, so I'm sure he will grow on me, and I will cry over him when Matt Smith shows up, and one day when Matt Smith goes I will be upset again.

This show is SUCH an emotional rollercoaster! But I actually REALLY love it. I must apologize to my friends that I scoffed at for being geeky (jokingly, of course). I am obsessed. :D

I really quite like Eccleston so far, but I don'y have anything to compare to. :P

I didn't like him at all. He really did my head in. David Tennant is the best and I didn't really like Matt Smith but I prefer him over Christopher Eccleston.

Finished series two last night. I am now dead from all the emotions. :( This show is really good at making me cry, haha. Tennant definitely grew on me, and is possibly my favourite Doctor now. I can't really decide. I think I'm REALLY going to miss Billie Piper; I loved her a lot.

Okay, sorry, I know, I know, I'm still living in 2007. This show is just so great. :blush:

• 4 weeks later...

You are going to miss her. There is a lot more to her character that ends up drawing you in. In my opinion, she was so much better than Martha. I don't know if you might like those episodes with her cause she was kinda Mary Sue for me. I loved, loved, loved Donna though. She's the funny girl so series 4 might be up your alley if you like the more humorous side. Oh! And in that series, you meet River! River Song is my favorite character and I got to meet Alex Kingston! It was magical to say the least. ^_^

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really can't wait for Doctor Who this year. For me the last two series have focused way too much on the relationship between Amy, Rory and River Song and less on the Doctor himself. In the Christmas special for the first time we saw a more human side to Matt Smith's Doctor after losing Amy & Rory, it reminded me much of David Tennant's Doctor towards the end.

Asylum of the Daleks is by far my favourite episode since Moffatt took over, it is Doctor Who at it's best! I love the introduction of Jenna-Louise Coleman as Clara, we may have only seen her in two episodes but her character is already my favourite companion ever!

• 3 months later...

I think Clara's a pretty good companion. It's kind of hard getting over the Ponds, they were so great T_T. I've got to be honest, I'm a bit disappointed from what I've heard about the 50th anniversary special. It seems like they're only bringing back the 10th Doctor and Rose. The episode isn't out yet so I'll withhold full judgment, but 11 doctors woulda been sweet...ok more than 2 doctors would have been sweet T_T.

• 3 weeks later...

Really great season finale this year (some funky/funny scenes, but I liked the cheesiness). I feel like overall this season on the whole has been the best of the Smith era. There's been great acting, great stories, and a great cliff hanger leading up to the anniversary special. Well done.

• 2 weeks later...

I never really got in to Eleven. I have seen most of the Ponds in fragments, and I know their story well enough (thanks Tumblr!). And I watched the Snowmen and the Name of the Doctor. So I'm not as sad as others are, but I guess it seems about the time the Doctor usually generates and it makes sense. I have no idea who the next one should be though, and it makes me nervous not knowing, haha.

• 2 weeks later...

And apparently the end of the Smith era. :(

Sad times indeed. I kind of wonder if David Tennant didn't talk to Matt during the filming of the anniversary special and warn him about the prevalent fear that the role may typecast a person. A lot of Doctors have done three seasons and ended it (2, 5, 7, 10 [along with 5 special episodes], and now 11). I guess I felt like Smith was going to stay around longer, and I'm sad to see him go. I had my worries after the Tennant era and I have a lot of worries about who will follow up Matt after this. I'm not sure anyone can really match the energy that Smith brought to the role. It's definitely going to be a challenge.

As for the series 7 finale, <33333333333, <3333333 all around. I want my 50th anniversary special now ~_~!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be sad to see Matt go. I absolutely adore him. I'm thinking maybe as they shown him nearing the season finale, John Hurt will be playing the next doctor, but I'm not sure ;p Smith definitely brought in a lot younger viewers, i don't know if bringing in someone older (if they do) may lose some of the shows younger viewers..I'll still love it either way. Only time will tell. 

Edited by Emmafan456