The Emma-Watson.net Forum

I have seen at least one Who fan here, and I know there were a few on the old forum too.

I didn't start watching until it relaunched in 2005 but I think it is a brilliant series. I would love to get a chance to see the older series one day.

What does everyone think of Matt Smith? I don't think he has lived upto David Tennant yet but Tennant was always going to be a hard act to follow. He can be a bit too stupid sometimes but I like him, I liked Karen Gillan too.

The only thing I hated in the last series was the stupid multicoloured Daleks, they looked ridiculous.

Looking forward to the Christmas Special though, it is based on A Christmas Carol and also stars Michael Gambon and Katherine Jenkins. I like Katherine and have seen her live on a few occassions, but I don't think she is acting material.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't start watching until it relaunched in 2005 but I think it is a brilliant series. I would love to get a chance to see the older series one day.

The old series come on DVD as well. ;) I had never heard of Doctor Who before the relaunch in 2005, but it quickly became my all-time favourite series. :blush: I'm not quite through with the fifth series though, because the box set came out only a few days ago.

What does everyone think of Matt Smith? I don't think he has lived upto David Tennant yet but Tennant was always going to be a hard act to follow. He can be a bit too stupid sometimes but I like him

I might sound like a fan boy, but I can't imagine a better Doctor than the tenth. David Tennant and the Doctor were made for each other (or maybe I'm just in love with David Tennant in general). Having said that, I think Matt Smith does a fabulous job. He's smart (and stupid) and funny and mad and handsome and has managed to find his very own approach at the Doctor. He had me at "Hello, I'm the Doctor. Basically... run." It may not be the same, it may not be as "extraordinary" as it was with Tennant, but it's definitely worth watching.

I liked Karen Gillan too.

Even after four series, Rose was still my favourite companion. Amy may be the first to come close to her. She's cute, she's tough, she can be a bit clumsy and what she wears is very... erm... appealing most of the time. :D

The old series come on DVD as well. ;)

Yeah, I know they are on DVD, I keep telling myself I will get them. I will one day!

I might sound like a fan boy, but I can't imagine a better Doctor than the tenth. David Tennant and the Doctor were made for each other

Completely agree, David Tennant did such a fantastic job, he didn't just play the Doctor, he was the Doctor! Matt Smith did a good job overall though, it was always going to be hard following Tennant and I think we will see more of Matt's character in the next series.

Even after four series, Rose was still my favourite companion. Amy may be the first to come close to her. She's cute, she's tough, she can be a bit clumsy and what she wears is very... erm... appealing most of the time. :D

Rose was great but I liked Donna too, she was very funny, while I really like Amy as well, it's hard to pick a favourite companion, i'll just go for K9 :P

I have seen at least one Who fan here, and I know there were a few on the old forum too.

What does everyone think of Matt Smith? I don't think he has lived upto David Tennant yet but Tennant was always going to be a hard act to follow. He can be a bit too stupid sometimes but I like him, I liked Karen Gillan too.

The only thing I hated in the last series was the stupid multicoloured Daleks, they looked ridiculous.

Looking forward to the Christmas Special though, it is based on A Christmas Carol and also stars Michael Gambon and Katherine Jenkins. I like Katherine and have seen her live on a few occassions, but I don't think she is acting material.

I love Dr Who, but I've only watched them since they were started again. David Tennant is amazing, but I do think Matt Smith is really good too, at the end of the day I think David is just an amazing person and made a very likeable Dr so like you say very hard act to follow.

My favourite companion is Donna to be honest.

I agree with the multicoloured Daleks as well, they were terrible, the ones before were so much better.

Has anybody heard the band Chameleon Circuit? If you love Doctor Who you have to check them out - http://www.myspace.com/chameleoncircuitmusic

I agree with the multicoloured Daleks as well, they were terrible, the ones before were so much better.

I'm a big fan of sci fi and a lot of imaginiation is needed but the multicoloured Daleks are one of the most ridiculous things that I have seen, they really have to get rid of those for the next series.

The following contains *SPOILERS* for those who haven't yet seen the fifth series

Matt's first episode was absolutely awesome, I thought he was very impressive and really introduced his character well, the whole food scene in young Amelia's house was hilarious - fish fingers and custard! The climax of that first episode on the rooftop was incredible, with the previous incarnations of the Doctor flashing through the eye the Atraxi and he simply says 'Hello, I'm the Doctor, basically run!'. It was a great way to introduce him as the doctor.

Sadly I don't think the series lived up to that first episode but I still thought it was great, I loved the Weeping Angels episodes, I think they are brilliant and a lot of thought really goes behind them. I quite liked the Vincent Van Gogh episode too, at the end where he brought Vincent back to the present day so he could see how much his work was loved was very touching, and showed a different side to Matt's Doctor.

Matt Smith isn't bad but I don't think anyone will ever top David Tennant, he had such a warm, embracing, and energetic personality and that very much encompassed who the doctor was. I'm looking forward to the Christmas special this year, it won't be nearly as sad as last years =).

I started watching Doctor Who when it revamped in 2005. My favourite doctors would have to be David Tennant, Chistopher Eccleston and Tom Baker. My favourite companions are Rose and Donna. I think Matt Smith is good as the doctor but not as good as David Tennant. I don't the storylines are as good as well.

Has anyone seen the preview of the Christmas special yet?

Seems Michael Gambon will be taking up the role of Scrooge, it looks quite dramatic.

I think Matt Smith is getting better storylines

I agree with this, Steven Moffat always seems to put a lot more thought behind his storylines. Even the episodes he did before he took over like the original Weeping Angels were always more thought provoking.

I've obsessed over this for years. I dare say some members of this forum are fans thanks to me. The christmas one I cannot wait! It has as we say 'Dumbledore' in! I cannot wait, I am so on edge. I'm seeing the trailer a lot. I heard on the news that it is supposed to be really sad. At least I know what i'm doing Christmas Day!

• 1 month later...

So, what did everyone think of the Christmas special?

I enjoyed it, when I saw the trailer and heard the title 'A Christmas Carol' I thought it would be exactly that but it offers an interesting twist to the Christmas Carol story, the sort of twist that only an episode of Doctor Who can provide.

I think Matt Smith is really settling into the role now and I can't wait fot the next series.

I thought the Christmas special was great, the twist to the story was a great when I saw it was a Christmas Carol I was slightly dubious (only slightly though as I did assume they would have a slight twist on it and I do have faith in the writers.) but it worked great.

My son loved it as well, Dr Who (or Whoooo....p as he calls it) and fishies was the best combination as far as he's concerned.

I enjoyed the christmas episode. Though the fishes bit killed the whole story line in this one. Yes, i'm judgemental of Doctor Who. Big fans usually are. As for the trailer for this upcoming series. It looks very good, i'm on the edge of my neat. Matt does seem to be settling down. But he is copying David to much and it just peeves me off. He needs to find his own acting style. (:

^In what way do you feel he is copying David?

I think he has his own acting style. Yes they are both quirky but the Doctor is quirky, it would be weird if Matt suddenly changed as he has already established the eleventh Doctor and what he is.

Edited by flying kiwi

If anyone hasn't seen the new season trailer which followed the Christmas special you can see it here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpe1Ywz8azM

I think he has his own acting style. Yes they are both quirky but the Doctor is quirky, it would be weird if Matt suddenly changed as he has already established the eleventh Doctor and what he is.

I agree, I don't think he is much like David Tennant at all. David's Dcotor was a lot more serious and more emotional, we saw a lot of depth to his character, funny and smart on the outside, but lonely on the inside. I think Matt's Doctor can be a little silly sometimes, he likes playing and joking around and I don't think that he will be as emotionally attached to his friends as David was. Matt has only had one series though so I think we have a lot more to see of his character.

Erm... because everything he does copying Tennant. (:

If anyone hasn't seen the new season trailer which followed the Christmas special you can see it here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpe1Ywz8azM

I agree, I don't think he is much like David Tennant at all. David's Dcotor was a lot more serious and more emotional, we saw a lot of depth to his character, funny and smart on the outside, but lonely on the inside. I think Matt's Doctor can be a little silly sometimes, he likes playing and joking around and I don't think that he will be as emotionally attached to his friends as David was. Matt has only had one series though so I think we have a lot more to see of his character.

Yeah, hopefully his character will also develop as time goes on as well.

Erm... because everything he does copying Tennant. (:

Oh I'm sorry I thought this was meant to be a discussion, I was obviously mistaken.

As always, I'm way behind, waiting for all sorts of DVD boxes to be released, but I've been at the Doctor Who exhibition in Cardiff last week. Has anyone else been there? It's not that extensive, but they've got a few of the original costumes, which I found quite interesting, partly because it gives you a very real idea of how tall everyone is.

As always, I'm way behind, waiting for all sorts of DVD boxes to be released, but I've been at the Doctor Who exhibition in Cardiff last week. Has anyone else been there? It's not that extensive, but they've got a few of the original costumes, which I found quite interesting, partly because it gives you a very real idea of how tall everyone is.

Never been, it's a little far for us to travel though. My boyfriend would love it, I bet it would be quite interesting. We very nearly went to a Dr. who thing at Magna in Rotherham but it was a one weekend thing and we couldn't make it :(

I'm actually the opposite to you there, which is weird I think Dr Who is the only thing I'm not trying to catch up with on DVD's. I have a couple I need to watch, my boyfriend has all the Tennant ones (well except the specials which he doesn't know yet but is getting for his birthday) we're being tight and waiting until the Matt Smith ones are a bit cheaper before we get them

Ive never been to the exhibition, depsite having been to Cardiff a number of times, it's somewhere I definitely want to visit though.

• 3 weeks later...

I have started watching Doctor Who from the beginning now. Or well, from Season 2 with David Tennant. I watched the last episode with the ninth doctor and both his and David Tennant's doctor has a similar personality - but I don't like the ninth doctor. I'm looking forward about coming to the episodes with the eleventh doctor though ;)

And I don't like Rose or Martha very much as assistants, but a big fan of Donna :yesyes:

The old series isn't bad, though I haven't watched much of it as it takes lots of space on any hard drive (>.<)

Matt Smith is definitely my favorite, though Tennant seems like a more interesting person in real life.

-perfect.shivers