The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Can't remember but was Diana's funeral forked out by tax payers? I know the royal family originally didn't want anything to do with it because Diana wasn't a royal, so she was given a state funeral. Which means we paid for that too. But seeing as i don't know for sure i wont use that against the royals lol

I read something about Diana's funeral today but I can't remember where, not about the service itself, but about a massive clean up operation afterwards costing taxpayers hundreds of thousands pounds and that they expect it to be even bigger for this wedding.

I think in general that the majority of people are very happy for William and Kate and hope they have a great ceremony, but at a time when the government has been forced into making some serious cuts resulting in job losses I don't think it is right that a single penny from the state should go towards the wedding. I have read a few times now that the couple are mindful of the current finincial climate and bearing that in mind, I think it would be a nice gesture of goodwill to the nation during these hard times for the Royal family to offer to pay for everything, I think more people will respect the Royal family for it.

I read something about Diana's funeral today but I can't remember where, not about the service itself, but about a massive clean up operation afterwards costing taxpayers hundreds of thousands pounds and that they expect it to be even bigger for this wedding.

I think in general that the majority of people are very happy for William and Kate and hope they have a great ceremony, but at a time when the government has been forced into making some serious cuts resulting in job losses I don't think it is right that a single penny from the state should go towards the wedding. I have read a few times now that the couple are mindful of the current finincial climate and bearing that in mind, I think it would be a nice gesture of goodwill to the nation during these hard times for the Royal family to offer to pay for everything, I think more people will respect the Royal family for it.

My thoughts exactly. People would have a lot more respect for them.

Yeah I mean, while the Royals have no real political power, I know that the thing I think of when I think about england is the royal family. They are a very valuable contribution to the tourism industry and I think it's great that they're so commonly known across the globe because they really do unite people from everywhere.

Exactly, i totally agree with you.

I just hope Kate and Will decide to do something good and get the royals to fork it out, if they do i swear ill shut up lol. Ill probably have a lot more respect for them in fact.

At such a difficult time I hope David Cameron is pushing for it too, I guess we will just have to wait and see when the plans are finalised, although sadly I have a feeling that we will end up paying for at least some of it.

Didn't want to comment but i felt the need to say, that its not exactly newsworthy news lol.

The taxpayers will be paying for this wedding no doubt, with the amount of police and security they will need. Makes me frustrated.

Although it will cost a lot it is also going to bring a lot of money into the country. Not only are there the commemorative collectables which will be bringing money in but it is also likely to attract more tourism.

I'm not greatly into the royal family but they do bring a lot of tourists into the country, they do a lot more then what people think. This wedding is already generating a lot of excitement.

Although this isn't the right topic for this, others have brought it up, the government have made a lot of cuts yes, but they have to we are in a lot of debt and I actually agree with most of the cuts they've made. People have been complaining about Education being cut, which it has but although there is less money going into education there is more money going to the schools themselves. Anyway, I won't get onto that argument any more as its not part of this topic. Although I do partly agree with the tax payers not paying of the wedding, where else does the royal families money come from? To be honest I really don't think it is going to effect the country in a bad financial way.

I think the main question is how will Kate handle the extra press attention. I think she'll be fine, as someone has already said she seems to have a good head on her shoulders and her and William really love each other (at least they would appear to, obviously I don't know them personally)

The date for the wedding has been announced as Friday 29th April and the government have already agreed for it to be a public holiday.

The following Monday is the May Day bank holiday so we won't only get a long weekend, but an extra long weekend. :D

• 1 month later...

Well I think it was about time that they got engaged, but I can understand Prince William that he wanted to make sure that she is the one and that she would be prepared for a life as a princess.

For me, I love Royal Weddings and I will be definitely watching it on tv!

Edited by Rose

I got lucky. I live in Finland and booked a week long trip to London last summer. It just happens to be at the same time as the wedding! Awesome cause I love crowded places and I bet it's gonna be pretty hectic in London at that time. :yesyes:

I got lucky. I live in Finland and booked a week long trip to London last summer. It just happens to be at the same time as the wedding! Awesome cause I love crowded places and I bet it's gonna be pretty hectic in London at that time. :yesyes:

Hope you have a good time, although I should warn you that industrial unions are threatening transport strikes during the time of the wedding (they say that it's not because of the wedding and that it is just a coincidence - yeah right!)

I don't think the strikes will go ahead, they will be under too much pressure from the government and also the police in the interest of crowd safety.

I hope you have a good time in London and enjoy the wedding. I'm just looking forward to an extra days holiday.