The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 1 First Impressions

David Yates has redeemed himself. I was a little concerned, given how disappointing HBP was. But The Deathly Hallows was great. It was very intense, though there were a few really good comic moments to occasionally break the tension. The trio's performance was there best yet. They had to deal with a lot of emotions in this one. I can't wait for part 2 given how good the action sequences were in this one. And I loved how they did Dobby's scene. For those who have read the book, they changed it a little. They gave Dobby a little more dialogue. But it worked very well.

My only gripes are minor. I would have liked a little more of Xeno Lovegood. But that's mostly because I'm a huge Rhys Ifans fan. The other gripe really goes back to HBP. I thought they made a bad decision leaving the final fight scene out. And then in DH we finally see Bill. He has the scar, and mentions in passing that Greyback gave it to him. Like I said, minor stuff.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just going to open a topic like this myself!

Just came back home from the cinema and I have to say that I LOVE this film. I'd go as far and say it's the best one yet. I was a little concerned about it before because the book is so dark, which made me think that the film might be depressing, but it isn't. You do realise how bad their situation is, but there are always light moments that show hope - without becoming ridiculous (I thought some of the scenes in HBP were, especially the stuff with Lavender Brown).

The ending of the film had people going NO!!!!!. It's excruciating to have it end at this point! No my personal countdown for part 2 will start ;).

- - -

Another thing: In the beginning of the film the cinema had some huge technical difficulties that were quite funny when solved.

Before the actual film there were 25 minutes of advertising and trailers. All of the trailers were shown TWICE, which didn't go well with an audience waiting for Harry Potter on the day of release, I can tell you that! During this time, the lights wouldn't go down, but I guess many people thought that was to give people with last minute icecream purchases a chance to get back to their seats safely.

Finally, the WB-logo appeared in this special way they always create it for Harry Potter-films (otherwise one might have thought it was another trailer). But the room was still brightly lit. People started complaining and waving up to where the machines are. Then, the first shot (SPOILER Rufus Scrimgour, as you have seen in the trailer, telling people "these are dark times, there is no denying") came up - without sound! At this point, a boy had rushed out to tell the people from the staff something was wrong, and the film froze. We had a still of the ministers face, from the eyebrows to the chin, looking disgruntled at us for three minutes, halve of the audience had fits of giggling about that.

Someone from the staff entered the room and asked the audience if the lights just went on on their own after the commercials. He had about 200 people shouting "they never went out" at him. Answer: "Super", in a really sarcastic way.

The screen went black, the lights went out, and when they started the showing again, we saw several film company logos within seconds, because they were going through the trailers fast. When Harry Potter finally started, there was a huge round of applause.

Just thought this story might amuse you!

They definitely followed the core of the book really well. There are some minor differences but it was really good. Dan, Emma, and Rupert all did one hell of an acting job in this movie. Splitting this into two parts really does appear to have been the best decision. This didn't seem rushed or have unnecessary cuts and they didn't add on anything totally pointless. I would say this is definitely one of the better movies of the series, and if part 2 is anything like part 1 it's going to be one hell of an ending.

I loved every second of it, the entire movie blew me away. I knew where it ended because i accident saw a spoiler, but i also wasnt waiting for it to end because the other films always seemed so squished and things were missed out.

Everything was fitted in and it all blended in rather nicely, and the whole destroying of the horcrux was awesome. The entire scene was what made me shiver, but seeing Dan and Emma kiss very very passionately i might add was funny lol.

over all the film blew my mind, especially Emmas acting. It has definitly improved and you see it in the scene with Bellatrix towards the end, i was really impressed.

best of the series!!!!!!!!! SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well it hink since this is a discussin about the film, people wouldnt be sopiled but it but just in case...

i loved the opening scene!!!! I loved how each of the trio has their own thing to do with their familes at the beginning. I would've liked however, to have seen the interactoin between dudley and harry where he says that he thinks harry is an okay person. but i think this way was actually good. hermoine, ron and harry in the beging gave off a feeling tha it was a dark adventure ahead.

(BTW, those pictures of "younger hermoine", are they EMMA'S PICTURES they used and then put them together with the grangers!?)

the 7 potters made me laugh sooo hard. it was just a great scene overall.

hedwig. :(

fred and goerge, enough said! :)

the scene between ginny and harry was odd to me, the films never made it ...for ginny and harry's relationship to actually grow. so it was too werid for me. but george was funny standing in the kichen, made me LOL so hard!!! oh my god.

ron and harry's scene was so sweet.

I am so happy that they have kept the toliet flushinf scene in there. its minor but it followed the book! :)

Emma's acting has improved so much!!!! I found myself thinking during Hermoine's torture scene, "Am i really watching Emma Watson act?! I feel like im watching a different actor!" it was the point where i realizzed that we have never seen Emma act tortured before. so i was VERYY impressed with her acting!!! no more crazy eyebrows!!!! :D:D:D

Rupert Grint, og my gosh, he is just amazing. well, you all know that I am a HUGEEE RUPERT FAN!!! :) but his acting was great, but i didnt really see a "change" because he's always been the best out of the three IMO. but he did amazing this thi film. and i love every scene where he is sweet towards hermoine because it reminds me of my boyfriend :) and how he treats me :)

Daniel... He did great. Improved ALOT! proud of him. but Emma improved the most out the three.

I love Fluer's dress in her wedding. i know. random but i loved it! :)

overall, this film was just amazing. oh my godddd cant wait for part two. for now, im gonna watch this one over and overrrrr :D

Things i think needed to be added/changed:

um...Hermoine's torture scene. I wanted it to be longer. I wanted Ron screaming out her name. I wanted to see hermoine be torture more than just sitting on the floor screaming in pain. (it was very good though)

Kreacher's Tale. Needed to be longer

Godric's Hallow. I felt like harry;s visting his parents scene needed to be longer. just a tad bit. and i wanted that sign that talkd about Lily and James.

Rathbone, I'm sure they photoshopped old pictures of Emma with photos of the actors playing her parents.

I think they handled the Harry/Ginny scene perfectly BECAUSE they hadn't dealt with it much. No one else, besides Hermione, knew they were together. And HBP didn't show them breaking up. So I thought it was just right. Wasn't expecting the whole dress part, but it worked. George was hilarious. Not too many people can say so much without opening their mouth.

I would have liked to see more of Kreacher as well. But I understand because of the time issues.

I still love how they did Dobby's final scene, though most of the theater was bawling. He said more than he did in the book, but it conveyed the emotions so well.

Edited by jayhawk

^i read somewhere, it was a early showing of the film and it hadn't been finished yet. And the person leaked info on it, and they said there was a lot more to the torture scene, so im disapointed that it was cut short. Because her acting was astonishing.

*SPOILERS*

Okay, I just came back from the cinema and it is late at night here and I can't possibly be more happy. I feel like I'm in heaven. I haven't been that way with a HP screening in a long time. This time was so different because I watched the film on its original date with minimum read of spoilers. Of course, I knew all the basic details, I've seen all the pics posted and leaked but it still was PERFECTION.

To be honest, I don't like David Yates. His films don't seem to carry the message as I see and understand it. But DH just got me thinking - this is freaking awesome.In order to prove that, I'll tell you this film got me laughing, crying, stunned and scared, then squeeing and all the range of emotions over and over again. That's really something.

I admit it - it is probably the best HP movie out for me. I thought nothing could beat Cuaron's PoA but I guess I was fast to speak. I personally loved .. everything, really. As a passionate HHr shipper, I can't start with the HHr dance - it was so funny and sweet, lovely turned out even so ridiculous. Godric's Hollow is my favourite scene from the book and it was good in the movie. But Bathilda's secret came like a clash on me. Loved it. And the KISS, oh my, that was really something. Way better than the lovable H/G one in the beginning, imo. But I can be too subjective, I admit.

The whole lot of the film was about realising the danger the world is in. And seeing what evil does to the world, both magical and muggle (human) , makes you think 'Yeah, that's grabbing' . Yates did a great job on the effects once again, the script was magnificent - they stayed true to the book almost all of the time without getting the action running too slow. Acting was - as expected - getting better and better with every second. I admire how Dan manages to make Harry look so much braver and wiser, makes me hate the character less. Voldemort was a constant figure - that I also liked. And Bellatrix, Hermione, the Death Eaters - each one is getting even more individual and deeply involved into the plot. And the Tale of Three Brothers - GENIUS animation! Reminds me of Tim Burton's cartoons but even better!

Overall, greatest one. ever

Edited by savixpotter

AMAZING FILM!!!

Does anyone know what the song is called Hermione and Harry are dancing to??? It was my favourite scene. First I thougth: oh my gosh, what are they doing now? - But then it was sooo cute. I i loved the song!!!

(BTW, those pictures of "younger hermoine", are they EMMA'S PICTURES they used and then put them together with the grangers!?)

I thought so too. Well at least one of them was....and the older ones. And I thought one of the "little Hermoines" might have been one of her sister (one of the little twins)...

AMAZING FILM!!!

Does anyone know what the song is called Hermione and Harry are dancing to??? It was my favourite scene. First I thougth: oh my gosh, what are they doing now? - But then it was sooo cute. I i loved the song!!!

Agreed ♥

the song is 'O Children' by Nick Cave :)

I loved the film as well, I'm also a h/hr shipper, you can imagine I'm happy about the dance and that kiss OMG it was WOW

I thought that Emma was the one that carried this film because she had so many emotions through out the film & once again proving hermoine is the brains of the trio

I loved the film as well, I'm also a h/hr shipper, you can imagine I'm happy about the dance and that kiss OMG it was WOW

Oh yes! I have to admit that I didn't expect it =O

I watched! I watched! I watched! xD I actually wanted to go tomorrow buuut :rolleye:

Well the movie was REALLY good! I'd give it 9 of 10. A dark movie as it was supposed to be, not that childish action anymore.

I wondered all the time where this part will end.

Soo I just came back, still impressed. :P

The athmosphere was pretty good in the theare, no annoying conversations, no children saying "Who is this? What is this?" etc. Everyone was into the movie, when we went out they asked us to give a mark, so I gave it a 9, all ppl were excited! And talked, talked, talked.

Nimfadora! Didnt recognise her.

7 Potter's xD haha was funny, Harry (Fleur) in skirt and bra xD and..: "and Harry.." "YES?" "No, not all of you, where's the real Harry?" xD

Hmm then.. the 'Harry + Ginny' scene was terrible, "Help me with a dress please" sounded stupid, and the kiss.. so unemotional, fake and idk.. one of the worst scenes, I expected that it'd look like in the book when she comes to him, sad, wishes him a happy birthday and gives him the present. Dissappointed. Tho George in the kitchen mixed it up a bit.

Then, I liked the way Ron looked at Hermione on the wedding, so awwwly.

Ministry of magic xD flushing toilets, lol.

- It's raining 2 days long

- Then buy an umbrella xD

- Oh my God! What should I do? My wife is all alone there!

- Ron.. you have no wife.

And awww Ron kissing his "wife" and the way Hermione and Harry look at it haha xD

The scene when Ron leaves them and Hermione runs after him screaming his name =( was good. Then when she suffered, the way Harry treated her was also very sweet, and ofc DANCE! was so awkward and funny at first, romantic and slow then, but as we all know nothing can be between them :P bad =( I always thought they'd be a nice couple. And when they were dancing so close to each other, ppl in the theatre went like "awww" very nice scene indeed.

Then.. ah yes! Daniel's and Emma's kiss!! Was so full of passion, just like in the book, good, good :P And when Ron comes back and Hermione hits him up lol

- Hello

- YOU.. ARE.. THE... LAST... A-HOLE.. RON!

Familiar dialogue xD I'm happy they didn't kick these 2 scenes out!

Then the stories Hermione read, was a very good idea to make an animation. Liked it.

Oh, and Hermione's parents! Those pictures, so sweet and sad.

Helena Bonham Carter was as always great and powerful :P The torture scene acting was good, Emma's acting was great. I expected more tho, more pain >.> I'm bad :P >.> but yeah wanted more action, more emotions, Ron screaming out her name and going crazy, like in the book.

And Dobbyyyy ='( and the end scene - EPIC!

Can't wait for the 2-nd part. Sad that it's the last part =( I grew up with HP, I was 7 =O when the 1-st part came out and now 17 =O

I thought that Emma was the one that carried this film because she had so many emotions through out the film & once again proving hermoine is the brains of the trio

Really? :blink: I think Rupert is amazing in this film!!! His scenes are epic!!!

- Oh my God! What should I do? My wife is all alone there!

- Ron.. you have no wife.

loved that part!!

& harry's dancing lmao LOVED it, he was so cute :P

this film was absolutely brilliant <3

ron nailed every scene he was in, he defintely got some of the best lines throughout the movie

and i loved the part where hermione reads the tale of the three brothers, the graphics done for that was pretty neat!

Ahoy there be spoilers ahead....

I cant actually describe how much i adore this film. It is amazing.

it had me go through everykind of emotion, I cried when dobby died. I laughed a lot at some scenes, Harry and ron in the tent and harry trying to use the blackthorne wand! Hermione hitting ROn with the bag when he came back ahaha.

the whole thing is sooo amazing.

I was on the edge of my seat during the malfoy manor scene. It wasn't as much as i expected it to be but it was still amaazing. I was really impressed with Emma's performance in that scene.

On the whole actually I would say Emma was the best in it. Her acting was just incredible in this film!!!

I did love the film!!!! It was the best Harry Potter without a doubt!! :yesyes:

The 7 Potters was hilarious!!! The Ministry of Magic scene was amazing, one of my favourite scenes, I'd dare to say that it was better than in the book.

All the R/Hr moments :wub: : the piano scene (so sweet), the almost holding hands, the caffe scene (hot), the glances, the hugs.... everything!!!!!!!!!

Ron's speech was beautiful!!! Hermione is almost melting in this moment.

The controversial scenes:

The H/Hr dance was odd!! :blink: It seemed like Harry wanted something with Hermione!! I was like "Come on! what about Ginny?, what about Ron?" Very, very awkward.

The H/Hr kiss wasn't passionate for me :mellow: . After I read what I read about this scene, I was waiting something wild, but it was embarrassing!! Nothing special.

I was disappointed with the H/G kiss, yes one more time. I mean, why can't Yates make that Dan and Bonnie kiss passionate? They are actors after all!! :rolleye:

But I must say that I was very happy with this movie. I hope Part 2 will be better though. :)

I am going to see the movie this week(hopefully it's not as packed and noisy). I have heard a LOT of amazing things about it, so I can't wait to see it. I heard Emma gave her best performance yet too.

I think I had expectations much too high for the movie because of people saying it's the best out of all of them blablabla, but I found parts of it to be slightly boring/slow :( The acting was excellent and everything, but apart from the main scenes like MM I was thinking 'this is cool but get to the good scenes!' >.> I've never thought that about any HP movies, so I'm shocked at myself lol. But it was amazing. Seeing it again in two days so I'll most likely change my opinion on that. Besides, I was surrounded by people so I didn't want to cry, noone else did :P >.< a tear came down when Dobby died, but when I get the DVD I'll cry like a baby :mellow: and awwww@George when he loses his ear. Oh and Neville on the train was good! Haha.

I looked away for a split second during the Seven Potters, and looked back and thought I saw Hedwig falling? And Harry didn't yell for her, just looked back? :sob:

Wore my Gryffindor scarf, and the room was already nearly full and everyone looked at me! All the kids pointed :P

loved that part!!

& harry's dancing lmao LOVED it, he was so cute :P

this film was absolutely brilliant <3

ron nailed every scene he was in, he defintely got some of the best lines throughout the movie

and i loved the part where hermione reads the tale of the three brothers, the graphics done for that was pretty neat!

Yessss!! He was great too, specially when he left them and all that jealousy.

All the R/Hr moments :wub: : the piano scene (so sweet), the almost holding hands, the caffe scene (hot), the glances, the hugs.... everything!!!!!!!!!

Ron's speech was beautiful!!! Hermione is almost melting in this moment.

The controversial scenes:

The H/Hr dance was odd!! :blink: It seemed like Harry wanted something with Hermione!! I was like "Come on! what about Ginny?, what about Ron?" Very, very awkward.

You know I'm glad, coz I'm for H/Hr :P that kiss :rolleye: however it couldnt't actually happen but stilllll! Haha, ppl in the theater were like "YAAAAYYY!!" and even clapped xD and must admit there were no kids, maybe 10% kids, or maybe those kids (adults) just grew up with HP, like we did :P

Anyway I'm gonna watch again and buy a DVD when it comes out, for my collection :P

I finally went to see it this morning and wow, I though it was amazing and it was definitely worth the wait, it exceeded any expectations that I had beforehand.

It was all I had hoped for, from the very beginnin when Hermione erased her parents memories to Dobby's final moments. The movie was a bit slow at times, and I can't help but think that this may put those which haven't read the book off a little bit, but I would much rather have it this way than see things rushed or missed out like in the other movies and I believe that it has done a lot more justice to the book by staying faithful than the previous films did.

I think that they got everything just about right, filled with emotion and the right amount of humour. There were some amazing scenes, the destroying of the horcrux was spectacular, and the scene with Dobby was very sad but also very fitting for what he believes in and his loyalty to Harry.

Emma deserves a mention too, I though that she was brilliant in this film and for me her best performance yet, we saw a lot more of Hermione this time and how her relationships with Harry and Ron develops, Ron was right when he said they wouldn't last two days without her, she was keeping everything together. It is easy to see why Emma found the torture scene hard, the screams were horrific and I am glad it didn't go on for too long, it was a brilliant piece of acting.

I'll probably go and see this again but at the moment I just can't wait until Part 2.