The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 1 First Impressions

One thing that I didn't like was Harry's reaction after Ron saves his life. Harry was so cold!!! I was like: hey! Ron has just saved your life!! Be thankful!!! :angry: I don't know... I'd have liked to see a hug between them.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yessss!! He was great too, specially when he left them and all that jealousy.

You know I'm glad, coz I'm for H/Hr :P that kiss :rolleye: however it couldnt't actually happen but stilllll! Haha, ppl in the theater were like "YAAAAYYY!!" and even clapped xD and must admit there were no kids, maybe 10% kids, or maybe those kids (adults) just grew up with HP, like we did :P

Anyway I'm gonna watch again and buy a DVD when it comes out, for my collection :P

Oh the H/Hr kiss <3 that was hawt :mellow: The people in the cinema with us sucked, all they did was crinkle plastic bags non stop, munch on food, they barely laughed or said 'yay' or anything :angry::P I could barely hear the movie because everyone was eating really loudly :( There was one point where I'm sure everyone jumped :D I'll go to the closer, funner cinema tomorrow instead :P

I loved the beginning, when Hermione was at home and erasing their memories and the Dursley's were leaving, it was so emotional ;(

was i the only was that was kinda dissapointed with the film?they skipped so many things

What exactly do you mean by skipped? It's not really possible for them to go into exact detail and do everything exactly from the book, that would require the movie to be nearly 10 hours long. There were some scenes that were cut or changed but nothing too major. Given that it is a two hour movie and the amount of detail they were able to get in there I'm quite satisfied with how it turned out.

What exactly do you mean by skipped? It's not really possible for them to go into exact detail and do everything exactly from the book, that would require the movie to be nearly 10 hours long. There were some scenes that were cut or changed but nothing too major. Given that it is a two hour movie and the amount of detail they were able to get in there I'm quite satisfied with how it turned out.

no i know that they couldnt do everything but i was a bit dissapointed because the movie wasnt how i imagined but i know part 2 will be better

and well remember bathilda bagshots house the snake was supposed to call on voldemort and he was supposed to show up as they were leaving well he didnt and harry's dreams were scrambled and peter petegrew was supposed to choke himself

Yeah I was kind of confused why they cut out peter killing himself. It wasn't a major point and I suppose due to time constraints they couldn't put in more detail there but that was kind of odd. That and the fact that I believe in the book grindelwald refused to tell Voldemort anything and was killed and instead in the movie they made him confess and tell Voldemort everything didn't seem necessary. I understand why they cut Voldemort out of the Godric Hollow scene, he doesn't really serve as major purpose in that scene. It dials up the drama to know he's on his way, but then you have a small scene with him there and they have to explain how he got there and that consumes much more time. It makes more sense to cut that rather than to leave it in due to how small of a role he plays there.

I saw it over the weekend with my dad and sisters and loved it. It was scarier and darker than normal and the light hearted moments were all the more precious. Loved the harry/hermione dance, everything dobby did, xenophilius dancing and bellatrix. Who i think is the best adult actor on HP ever.

I only felt down over 2 things, there was hardly anything with the dursleys, even though i thought their scenes in the book were the funniest moments of the whole book. And i thought hermione was far too tame when ron came back. I really wanted her to give him a whalloping. :yesyes:

Oh the H/Hr kiss <3 that was hawt :mellow: The people in the cinema with us sucked, all they did was crinkle plastic bags non stop, munch on food, they barely laughed or said 'yay' or anything :angry::P I could barely hear the movie because everyone was eating really loudly :( There was one point where I'm sure everyone jumped :D I'll go to the closer, funner cinema tomorrow instead :P

I loved the beginning, when Hermione was at home and erasing their memories and the Dursley's were leaving, it was so emotional ;(

Yes :P

Aww, sucks, I can't say that ppl here didn't have food with them but they didn't eat, we were in silence, magical silence :P ppl enjoyed the movie, there were 2 annoying girls tho that did NOT read the book and had no idea what HP is actually about, they commented stuff and when Snape appeared, one 1 of them started screaming orgasmically "Oh RIIIICKMAAAN!!!" -.- grr made me wanna throw popcorn at her :P but then, anyway someone told them to stay quiet.

I Think This was one of the best movies of all Time and I Was so sad when it ended cause it just went by way to fast I felt like i was right there with them when i was watching it. It went with the book so Perfectly good. now I am in Love with harry potter all over again<3 and I Also heard that J.K rowling might be wrting more books based off there kids<3

I did love the film!!!! It was the best Harry Potter without a doubt!! :yesyes:

The 7 Potters was hilarious!!! The Ministry of Magic scene was amazing, one of my favourite scenes, I'd dare to say that it was better than in the book.

All the R/Hr moments :wub: : the piano scene (so sweet), the almost holding hands, the caffe scene (hot), the glances, the hugs.... everything!!!!!!!!!

Ron's speech was beautiful!!! Hermione is almost melting in this moment.

The controversial scenes:

The H/Hr dance was odd!! :blink: It seemed like Harry wanted something with Hermione!! I was like "Come on! what about Ginny?, what about Ron?" Very, very awkward.

The H/Hr kiss wasn't passionate for me :mellow: . After I read what I read about this scene, I was waiting something wild, but it was embarrassing!! Nothing special.

I was disappointed with the H/G kiss, yes one more time. I mean, why can't Yates make that Dan and Bonnie kiss passionate? They are actors after all!! :rolleye:

But I must say that I was very happy with this movie. I hope Part 2 will be better though. :)

agreed in every point!!!

They completly forgot Harry´s birthday (that´s sad)

OMG

Hermione´s scream was soo scary!!! :o

I just want to watch the second part!!

************** SPOILER ALERT **************

Right here it goes guys :) I've seen it twice now so my review could end up quite long haha!

Well. I thought this was by far the best Harry Potter movie since the third one. The acting by the three main leads was outstanding particularly Rupert but more on that later...

I thought the opening scene were it showed how each individual character was sacrificing their lives for Harry was a touching way to show the audience, readers and non-readers a like what they went through. Hermione modifying her parents memories was really sad (Emma looked dead cute as a little girl :D) and the pictures disappearing was a great touch!

I loved how it was the closest to the books and they managed to fit in all the important things they needed to, although I still think it could of been confusing for those who hadn't read the books...but their loss :P!

I thought the 7 potters scene was hilarious and I loved how they used the weasley twins in this scene - it was about time they got some decent screen time!!

All the new actors/returning actors did a grea job and I especially enjoyed the wedding!

I thought all the major scene, such as the MM break in and malfoy manor was very well done...Emma's acting was OUTSTANDING here...although I was really hoping for more emotion from Ron, well put it this way, I sobbed through that whole chapter reading it but didn't cry once watching it and Dobby's line about "merely harming" or something to that effect was brilliant!

Dobby's death was just as heartbreaking in the film as it was in the book, I sobbed both times I saw and probably will again! It was REALLY sad but brilliant at the same time.

This movie was a lot darker and the scene with the snake/bathilda was petrifying! I had to look away!! And the scene at the beginning around the table at MM was brilliant..all those AMAZING actors round one table :o

So to the acting...I've never really been a Daniel Radcliffe fan but he really out done himself here and he displayed his emotions really well.

Emmma was breathtaking as the heartbroken/angry Hermione, you could really tell, even as a movie goer just how much she loved ron. The splinched scene was quite difficult to watch cos you could just tell she wanted to hold ron but she had to make his better... </3 And she played her part well at MM manor like I said...I just wished she'd..idk..screamed a bit more. The "mudblood" mark was awful but genius!

But like I said earlier...Rupert was by far the best in this movie...I think the fact that he could play the comedian throughout the film...coming out with all the funny one liners was brilliant, let alone all the serious stuff he had to say...And his coming back speech...well I just melted! Why Hermione didn't just jump on him right there and then I will never know...WHAT A GIRL I AM HAHA! (ok so it might have something to do with the fact I quite fancy Rupert hehe!)

The locket scene was my favourite in the book and it was my favourite in the film as this was basically identical to the book. it was so well doen, and the KISS, WOW. You could just tell ron was like :o:O:O it was so bloody goood! The only thing I didnt like and I think someone has mentioned it is how cold harry acted towards ron...hello!! he saved your life! And I was a tad gutted the "shes like a sister" line wasn't in there..help clear it up for any confused shippers after THAT dance.

I only have a few negetive comments and as you can probably guess I didnt really like the H/Hr dance. The song is one of my favourite songs ever right enough so it made it slightly better but I just thought the whole scene was completely unnecesary amd it did not need to be in there and at times harry was sort of looking at hermione longly..and thats just NOT the case as well all know it...it was brilliantly acted though :D

The ron and Hermione moments were perfect, I really loved the cheek moment in the cafe...it was sort of HOT almost :blush: like a "you are mine" sort of way.

Anyway overall I think it gets an 9/10 for me and I am super excited for part two...the split was genius!! Well done to everyone!!

I booked the tickets online from Odeon for myself and my best mate on the day of the release.

Really really enjoyed the film, and already looking forward to see the part 2 this summer coming.

My favourite scenes had to be when Ron was about to destroy the Horcux, and we saw his fears. I thought Emma looked stunning in black. (my jaw dropped, really) and the torture scene. When Hermione screamed, I literally gripped the handles of the seat hard and tensed, I actually wanted to get off my seat, walk up to the screen and punch Bellatrix in the face! (check my profile pic, you'll see it won't be a basic punch, it would be more professional ;)) Thought Emma potrayed her character very well in the film.

I do however feel that there should have been more emotion involved in some of the scenes, Ron's leaving the tent, and Ron's reaction during the Hermione torture.

Netherless would recommend the film to my friends.

When I drove myself and my best mate home, I told him about the torture scene, that I wanted to punch Bellatrix, this is what happened the car :D. (he's a big fan of Bellatrix)

Me: Remember the torture scene?

Mate: Aye.

Me: I actually wanted to get off my seat and punch her in the face for treating Hermione that way.

Mate: (minor fanboy mode) HOW DARE YOU!!!

Had to take my hearing aids off, never heard him scream so loud in my life! :D:D.

Edited by Little Dave

wanted to get off my seat, walk up to the screen and punch Bellatrix in the face! (check my profile pic, you'll see it won't be a basic punch, it would be more professional ;))

noavatar.png

This is your profile pic. Doesn't tell me a whole lot about how you might punch.

Seriously though - As much as I didn't feel there was any chemistry between Harry/Ginny I also felt with Ron/Hermione that it just wasn't there. Their "affection" for one another just felt forced. It felt like they were affectionate toward each other because the script told them they were supposed to be.

Dan and Emma have always had way more screen chemistry than Rupert and Emma. I'm assuming that this was at least part of the reason for the H/Hr dance. The director and producers saw that the chemistry between Rupert and Emma wasn't going to carry the film emotionally and romantically as the fans have come to expect. In order to solve this problem they put the two people with the best on screen chemistry together in what could've been a touching scene. Unlike some on here, I thought the song ruined the scene. It is not a danceable tune and wouldn't have made them want to dance. I hate when directors can't pick the correct song for a movie scene. I thought the same mistake was made multiple times in Watchmen.

Anyway, back to my original point. I think the filmmakers thought without some kind of romantic chemistry a good portion of the movie would be sunk and so latched onto whatever they could get. Over the years of the franchise it is also obvious that Dan and Emma are better and closer friends than Rupert and Emma. This comes through on screen.

A question. The scene of H/Hr kissing is obviously digitally enhanced. But how much? It's obvious Dan can't keep his clothes on - just look at him in Equus and the many scenes in Deathly Hallers where he's in his undies, almost nude, in a bra etc. But the question is, were they really nude in the kissing scene or is that all or mostly digital?

**EDIT**

Forgot to say that the Hermione torture scene affected me the same way Dave.

In fact, I did go up and punch the screen and then they got their little movie theater security guards (who altogether weighed about 150 pounds soaking wet) to try and throw me out and I said "You're gonna have to do a lot better than that." So they got this big 6'9" 345 pound guy to throw me out and well...he's breathing through a tube right now. But I just read where Helena Bonham Carter suffered an unexplained broken nose at that very moment and now her nose looks like Voldemort's nose. BTW, can I borrow $10,000 bucks to post bail? ;)

^^ I agree about the song. For me it just doesn't fit.

About the nudity. Dan was topless. Emma was wearing a strapless bra. Both were wearing silver body paint. Some stage smoke and a bit of wizardy and you have the kissing scene. So, not really nude, but not digital either.

noavatar.png

This is your profile pic. Doesn't tell me a whole lot about how you might punch.

Seriously though - As much as I didn't feel there was any chemistry between Harry/Ginny I also felt with Ron/Hermione that it just wasn't there. Their "affection" for one another just felt forced. It felt like they were affectionate toward each other because the script told them they were supposed to be.

Dan and Emma have always had way more screen chemistry than Rupert and Emma. I'm assuming that this was at least part of the reason for the H/Hr dance. The director and producers saw that the chemistry between Rupert and Emma wasn't going to carry the film emotionally and romantically as the fans have come to expect. In order to solve this problem they put the two people with the best on screen chemistry together in what could've been a touching scene. Unlike some on here, I thought the song ruined the scene. It is not a danceable tune and wouldn't have made them want to dance. I hate when directors can't pick the correct song for a movie scene. I thought the same mistake was made multiple times in Watchmen.

Anyway, back to my original point. I think the filmmakers thought without some kind of romantic chemistry a good portion of the movie would be sunk and so latched onto whatever they could get. Over the years of the franchise it is also obvious that Dan and Emma are better and closer friends than Rupert and Emma. This comes through on screen.

A question. The scene of H/Hr kissing is obviously digitally enhanced. But how much? It's obvious Dan can't keep his clothes on - just look at him in Equus and the many scenes in Deathly Hallers where he's in his undies, almost nude, in a bra etc. But the question is, were they really nude in the kissing scene or is that all or mostly digital?

**EDIT**

Forgot to say that the Hermione torture scene affected me the same way Dave.

In fact, I did go up and punch the screen and then they got their little movie theater security guards (who altogether weighed about 150 pounds soaking wet) to try and throw me out and I said "You're gonna have to do a lot better than that." So they got this big 6'9" 345 pound guy to throw me out and well...he's breathing through a tube right now. But I just read where Helena Bonham Carter suffered an unexplained broken nose at that very moment and now her nose looks like Voldemort's nose. BTW, can I borrow $10,000 bucks to post bail? ;)

I always thought that dan/ emma have better chemistry than r/hr or h/g, that's why the movies make it seemed like h/ hr might happen

Found this quote about Hermione's torture scene:

Q. What was Watson’s reaction?

Yates: The first time we did it, I [did] yell cut. Emma said, ‘You cut too early! You cut too early!’ She was getting to this intense point. And I said, ‘Well, it was getting scary, Ems!’ And she said, ‘No no no no, let me try, let me try.’ There were one or two moments that were really powerful, where Emma was able to just let go a little bit and forget for a moment that she was acting. And the screams were quite horrible to listen to. It was a very odd energy in the room. She was kind of exploring and exorcising demons really, and serving the scene doing that. I felt in that moment, and in that day and in that room, she kind of crossed the line as an actress. She discovered something within herself that will make her a great actor.

It seems that either Yates or the editors or both cut way too much of the scene in the editing room leaving very little in the actual movie. This was one of the most powerful scenes in the film. And as Yates stifled her acting by yelling cut too early, they stifled her again by not showcasing her full ability on screen.

And so this scene that Yates feels made Emma cross over into the realm of great actress is lost to the cutting room floor. Genius decision bra.

It's obvious Dan can't keep his clothes on - just look at him in Equus and the many scenes in Deathly Hallers where he's in his undies, almost nude, in a bra etc.

That's not necessarily Daniel's choice... Was it him or Rowling that wrote the books? She said that he and the other characters had to change clothes in The Seven Potters, and also to strip down in the lake scene, not Dan. Did you expect Harry to wear Fluer's and Hermione's clothes while flying? That'd be quite weird... I suppose they could've cut the changing part out but it's all in the book. Harry took his clothes off for the lake scene so he would have something warm to get into when he got out, the lake was icy with snow all around.

That's not necessarily Daniel's choice... Was it him or Rowling that wrote the books? She said that he and the other characters had to change clothes in The Seven Potters, and also to strip down in the lake scene, not Dan. Did you expect Harry to wear Fluer's and Hermione's clothes while flying? That'd be quite weird... I suppose they could've cut the changing part out but it's all in the book. Harry took his clothes off for the lake scene so he would have something warm to get into when he got out, the lake was icy with snow all around.

Easy. I was just joking -- I really need a sarcasm font.