The Emma-Watson.net Forum

My favourite book

My favourite Harry Potter book is the sixth and some people find that very odd. Maestro, for example, considers the sixth his least favourite book. I'm not quite sure why I like it most, but I suppose it's all those flashbacks and all the background story that is revealed at this point. It's also quite fascinating when Dumbledore talks about Voldemort and his motives.

What do you think? What is your favourite book and why?

My favourite book is either POA or DH. I cannot decide between those two. I'm not sure why I love the third one so much, but I do. And the seventh one is just epic. HBP would probably be second place. Last place for me would probably be OotP. It's so long and very slow in the beginning.

My favourite would probably be three. Or five. I suppose three because that seemed like an almost normal year for Harry. No real threat from Voldemort himself. Nice backstory about Harry's parents and friends. A good teacher for DADA.

Last place for me would probably be OotP. It's so long and very slow in the beginning.

Yes, that's certainly true, although I'm not sure I'd place it last just because of that. I love everything about Umbridge, for example. I've rarely disliked a fictional character that much and it's just epic when McGonagall or Dumbledore totally rule her rhetorically. :D

I guess what I don't like about DH that much is that this is where all is falling apart. That's part of the story, of course, but gives it a kind of uneasy feeling. Then again, DH is where it all comes together and where it all ends. My key scene is when Neville chops off Nagini's head. The last Horcrux gone, Voldemort's a mere mortal again. And done for. :) The "dream scene" with Dumbledore in the train station is fantastic as well. Actually, I think I'd have to name DH my second favourite book. :)

I remember I was completely amazed about the resolution of PoA, didn't see that coming. :P It may not be that astonishing compared to your average detective novel, but I certainly didn't expect that from a Harry Potter book at that time.

My favourite book is definitly ... I don´t know.

They all are great. I read 15-20 times but I like most OotP because of Umbrige and the DA.

The sixth one is great, too, because of all the background informations.

My favourite Harry Potter book is the sixth and some people find that very odd. Maestro, for example, considers the sixth his least favourite book. I'm not quite sure why I like it most, but I suppose it's all those flashbacks and all the background story that is revealed at this point. It's also quite fascinating when Dumbledore talks about Voldemort and his motives.

What do you think? What is your favourite book and why?

My favourite is the Half-Blood Prince too, mainly for the same reasons you stated. Also the cave chapter and learning about horcruxes.

Closely after that is Deathly Hallows, then COS, POA and my old favourite was GOF :P

My favourite book is a toss between Prisoner of Azkaban and Half-Blood Prince.

The reason is because those two involve my favourite characters outside the trio: Sirius Black and Severus Snape.

Also, in HBP Voldy's backstory is explained and that fact made the book even more interesting to read.

• 2 weeks later...

Deathly Hallows and GoF are neck and neck, but if you put a gun to my head... Deathly Hallows.

Wow, we must be twins separated by birth. Okay, I'm older, so the twins thing doesn't work LOL, but it's exactly the same for me. Up until DH, GoF was my favourite. But now it's a tie between DH and GoF with a slight advantage for DH.

But I don't find it weird that HBP is someone's favourite book. It is a great book. Snape backstory, Voldemort's backstory, explanation of the Horcruxes, Harry and Dumbledore's student/mentor relationship, the romances ...  And I personally find HBP to be the best written of the seven books. 

• 2 weeks later...

The fourth has always been my favourite book, I love it and never tire of reading it, although the same could be said for all them, the whole series is epic.

I guess I like the fourth so much because it's a little different to the others with the Triwizard Tournament going on, it's pretty much non stop all the way through, for me it is when the characters and their relationships really begin to develop and we are introduced to a lot of great new characters as well.

It was the same for the film as well, I always thought that the Goblet of Fire would be hard to beat.... until Deathly Hallows part 1 came along this weekend and blew it out of the water.