The Emma-Watson.net Forum

The Deathly Hallows Film Topic

The movie was very engaging, and as a long time Harry Potter fan, it really pulled the right strings. The performances by Snape, Harry and Voldermort were perfect. In some parts of the movie I felt like my insides were going to explode the epic thrill was too much.

However, there were some parts which were incredibly disappointing. One of which included Mrs. Weasly's fight with Bellatrix, it was completely not how it happened in the books and it made Bellatrix look like a weak witch. Hermoine was supposed to be battling her, that was something I was dying to see!

There were parts of the book that the movie skipped right over which would've been cinema GOLD. When Voldermort kills harry, and he gets up from the ground, he tortures Harry with the cruciatius curse just to make sure he really is dead.. This would've been a scene perfect for the movie but alas it was not included, it would've added some serious weight to the already emotional scene.

How they dealt with death was my main concern with the movie. They did it excellently with Crabbee, but then skipped over the death scenes of George, etc. They've got the time, they should've showed that.

And finally, they did side track quite a bit from the book in the end, but it was a positive thing. Hermione throwing rocks at Nagini was a little ridiculous... but hey, I'll take as many scenes with Hermoine as I can get.

Overall, they did a fantastic job... especially right when the attack on Hogwarts begins. It is a spectacle of lights, sound, and fury. I doubt I'll get this excited over a movie ever again.

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw it and I loved it. Not too crazy about it, but it was still amazing. All the awards to Maggie, Alan and Ralph. All their scenes blew me away. I do wish they kept in the Grindlewald stuff, since they only grazed the top of such an influentinal part of the story. I suppose they could afford to skip it but if that was their original choice, then there was no point in mentioning Dumbledore's past and history if they weren't going to clarify. Whatever, fanfiction right?

I loved the final battle, and there were moments where I actually felt bad for Voldemort. What really killed me though was The Prince's Tale and I knew it would. Alan was just too brilliant. For all these movies where we've seen him only showing anger, passiveness and distaste we suddenly get to see another side to him and he becomes three dimensional. And what was amazing was that it wasn't out of place or even out of character. Took my breath away. Snape was such a brave man and risked his life everyday, tricking the Dark Lord and protecting Harry, the boy who looked so much like the man who tormented him back in school, all because he couldn't let Lily die in vain.

But there were somethings in the film that were really random. And I wish we got more emotion from Fred's death. Ginny really annoyed me and I don't have any hate towards her character. But her mother is fighting Bellatrix and she's standing there in the back with no expression and when Fred dies, she wasn't even showing emotion. I wish they ampted that scene up because it could have been more powerful. Lavendar's death was more powerful. Loved the Kings Cross scene. Hermione and Ron's kiss was random, and totally let me down. I don't understand why they couldn't keep it true to the books. It would have been easier on the CGI and all that. Harry breaking the wand in half really angered me. Didn't he put it back in Dumbledore's grave? Ah! That would have been so much more sentimental.

I saw the movie in 3D. It was the first time I see a movie in 3D, and it was amazing!!!!!!!!!! The Prince's tale and The forest again are heartbreaking!! I can't stop crying!!!

I don't know where to post this, but well... It's a Harry Potter tribute, and it's very well done!!! I must confess that I cried when I watched it :sob:

I saw it for the first time tonight in 3D. And it was really good. I wasn't expecting much after reading reviews, and this thread, but I was pleasantly surprised. But of course there were some things I didn't like. Like, the whole Harry/Voldemort flying around and crashing into things, that was lame. And I thought it was very little dialog if you know what I mean, there wasn't a whole lot of talking :P When Ginny rushed and was "protecting" Harry when that Slytherin girl said that someone had to take him or whatever, that was lame too, poor acting. I thought the acting was very good, everyone did a good job. Emma was good, Rupert was excellent and I even enjoyed Dan's acting. The whole battle of Hogwarts was amazing, really well shot and the music throughout the whole movie was the best out of all the movies IMO. I also didn't like how Voldemort just turned into ashes or something, reminded me of vampires, same with Bellatrix, but I get why they did it that way though. All in all, I was pleased! :) A great ending.

But there were somethings in the film that were really random. And I wish we got more emotion from Fred's death. Ginny really annoyed me and I don't have any hate towards her character. But her mother is fighting Bellatrix and she's standing there in the back with no expression and when Fred dies, she wasn't even showing emotion. I wish they ampted that scene up because it could have been more powerful. Lavendar's death was more powerful. Loved the Kings Cross scene. Hermione and Ron's kiss was random, and totally let me down. I don't understand why they couldn't keep it true to the books. It would have been easier on the CGI and all that. Harry breaking the wand in half really angered me. Didn't he put it back in Dumbledore's grave? Ah! That would have been so much more sentimental.

I agree with alot of what you said... Freds death was very very dissapointing, i even saw an interview with all the members of the family and some of them spoke of how exausting those scenes were to act out...that it drained them. and because of that, i probably expected alot?, but it was really very dissapointing !, and also, Remus and Tonks, ..i mean, lupin was only one of the amazing friends of his father...lets not give to much attention to his death...

and yes, the Ron,Hermione kiss was soo not what i expected,? i mean...7 years !!! of being friends...there should be passion, i understand the bit of 'awkwardness' i suppose, but really, they've been loving each other for 2 years basically now, ...i expected alot more, :0_0:

i guess the scenes with snape, ...makes up for it all, i am very pleased that they told the memories of snape and lilly...i was so scared they would leave it out...very happy 'bout that...

i just feel, like they took EVERY SINGLE detail of the first part of DH, which made me soo happy....and then squished everything into the last part, ....

but never the less, harry potter, has been an incredible journey**

so i watched harry potter for the second time, this time in 3D and it sucked (in 3D that is)

i was expecting so much more...the only thing that came out towards me was when voldemort like blew up

i was expecting spells and explosions to come at me? but the image was really really clear

so i watched harry potter for the second time, this time in 3D and it sucked (in 3D that is)

i was expecting so much more...the only thing that came out towards me was when voldemort like blew up

i was expecting spells and explosions to come at me? but the image was really really clear

Actually most of it was 3D. If you notice (you may have needed to flicker your glasses off for a moment) you put them back on and it IS 3D. It's not neccassarily things jumping out towards you but the 3Dness of the people. Like they poke out the screen when standing there and it looks like they're infront of you because the background is blurry.

IE. When Harry is talking to Griphook he is in the forground, out of the screen, Griphook to the side looks normal and then Hermione and Ron look far in the distance because it's blurry.

It's hard to explain. haha. >.<

WOw. Now I finally had time to see the movie!

Oh It was the best one of the entire movie series. The actors-all of them did their best work ever. Apart from a few cuts and changes which I might not be a fan of, I think the biggest moments of the books was done.

I didn't think they needed the 3D though.

Actually most of it was 3D. If you notice (you may have needed to flicker your glasses off for a moment) you put them back on and it IS 3D. It's not neccassarily things jumping out towards you but the 3Dness of the people. Like they poke out the screen when standing there and it looks like they're infront of you because the background is blurry.

IE. When Harry is talking to Griphook he is in the forground, out of the screen, Griphook to the side looks normal and then Hermione and Ron look far in the distance because it's blurry.

It's hard to explain. haha. >.<

no i get you, if i stared hard enough it looked like i was actually watching them talk to each other but i just mostly noticed how clear the screen was

i guess i was expecting much more you know because it got alot of hype

I love the bit where (omg i forgot her name :o) thingy casts the spell for all the statues and turns around and says ive been wanting to do that spell for years :) that was good

haha you mean mcgonagall!!

How can you forget her name. D:

And I love the way she gets all excited "I've always wanted to use that spell" Then Molly's all depressed and acared. Such a comparison!

I thought the battle was the best bit of action work in the entire series.

Some odd parts and missing plot-lines (eg Lavender dying, when in the book she merely gets knocked down).

Of course, this is all compromise from book-to-screen and it is by far the best Film they've made. Slightly weird mask/facial make-up on Alan Rickman when making him look younger for the Prince's Tale section.

I thought the battle was the best bit of action work in the entire series.

Some odd parts and missing plot-lines (eg Lavender dying, when in the book she merely gets knocked down).

Of course, this is all compromise from book-to-screen and it is by far the best Film they've made. Slightly weird mask/facial make-up on Alan Rickman when making him look younger for the Prince's Tale section.

^Lavender does die in the book? What are you on about?

"Two bodies fell from the balcony overhead as they reached the ground a grey blur that Harry took for an animal sped four-legged across the hall to sink its teeth into one of the fallen. "NO!" shrieked Hermione, and with a deafening blast from her wand, Fenrir Greyback was thrown backward from the feebly struggling body of Lavender Brown. He hit the marble banisters and struggled to return to his feet. Then, with a bright white flash and a crack, a crystal ball fell on top of his head, and he crumpled to the ground and did not move."

I think it's unknown whether she survived or not.

Embarrassingly... the first couple of times I saw it I thought it was a blonde boy getting attacked by Fenrir :ph34r:

I really want the soundtrack. Went to buy it today after watching the movie again, but it was sold out everywhere :P

She did die. Flick 2 pages over her body is dragged off by spiders. :)

Oh and the soundtrack is amazing! If you can't buy it why not download it? I downloaded it when I got the money I will buy it. :D