The Emma-Watson.net Forum

The Deathly Hallows Film Topic

Maybe the supporting characters have little depth because of lack of screentime but I think the main characters like Harry, Ron and Hermione are as well rounded as the books. You really can't do justice to the entire book even if you had four hours. I think the best way to do the books and get everything in would have been a television show with one season representing an entire book and school year. The great movies that were based on books like The Godfather and Jaws are only better because the books themselves weren't that great to begin. The filmmakers elevated them. For books that were great like The Lord of the Rings, it was extremely well made and were universally loved but fans of the books are still going to criticize what it left out and what was changed. There is not one die hard LOTR fan, even if they love the movies and happy with the adaptation, thinks they are better than the books.

Booka usually are better. There are few movies, including the Godfather etc that are better that the books.

so I agree. The LOTR books has so much detals and a rich plot but the characters are a bit flat but the film.makes made a MOVIE based on the books. I feel that HP is too fast forward some things happens here some things there they talk a bit of everything thing but never really tell why or what happend.

I don't care that they leave out things. Or change things. I however don't agree with you about the main charaters are well rounded at all. In the books yes. But not in the movies.They did emproved a lot and the characters did have a lot more dept than ever before in the last one, I agree.

And I'm going to leave like this.

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, i've seen the movies sooo much that when I re-read the books, it's hard not to just picture Daniel, Emma and Rupert. I think I've watched the movies so many times, I can't really see anyone else playing the characters, whether or not they are as in depth as their characters in the book.

I really liked the movie. But there are things that were wrong.

For example, when Ron comes back he is the one that is supposed to tell harry not to say Voldemort's name, to warn him about the snatchers, but in the movie Harry suddenly stops saying "voldemort" and starts saying "you-know-who".

Am. what else? om,m When they took Harry out from the Dursleys, they ask him how Voldemort knew which Harry was the real Harry, he said that it was because Hedwing was protecting him, and in the book it was because he was casting "expelliarmus", which as Lupin said, was his signature.

I find the last book so emotive, and they deleted some scenes that were really emotional, like when Harry and Hermione go to Godrics Hollow, and they're watching Harry's house, there was a memorial sign, on which wizards had wrote support messages.

Am. what else? om,m When they took Harry out from the Dursleys, they ask him how Voldemort knew which Harry was the real Harry, he said that it was because Hedwing was protecting him, and in the book it was because he was casting "expelliarmus", which as Lupin said, was his signature.

I liked that change because Explelliarmus is such a common spell! Everybody uses it! Ron uses it twice in the movie! I can't believe that would be enough for people to identify Harry with it whereas Hedwig is something more identifiable to Harry. By book 3 people everybody knew he was Harry's owl.

The statue of his parents was nice in the book but would probably be corny in a movie. The graves were enough.

I liked that change because Explelliarmus is such a common spell! Everybody uses it! Ron uses it twice in the movie! I can't believe that would be enough for people to identify Harry with it whereas Hedwig is something more identifiable to Harry. By book 3 people everybody knew he was Harry's owl.

The statue of his parents was nice in the book but would probably be corny in a movie. The graves were enough.

Yeah, I agree! Poor Hedwig though... :(

For me, i've seen the movies sooo much that when I re-read the books, it's hard not to just picture Daniel, Emma and Rupert. I think I've watched the movies so many times, I can't really see anyone else playing the characters, whether or not they are as in depth as their characters in the book.

I picture Dan, Rupert and Emma too. I found it interesting that Heyman said in one of the press junket interviews that if Emma had left they would have had to recast Hermoine. THAT would have been too weird to get used to.

When they took Harry out from the Dursleys, they ask him how Voldemort knew which Harry was the real Harry, he said that it was because Hedwing was protecting him

Not to mention Harry went out in plain sight with Hedwig on his arm and released Hedwig and then before he and Hagrid depart Hagrid calls Harry by name.

I know it's not that way in the book but for those who haven't read the book and have just seen the movie probably find it a bit ridiculous. It seems like a lot of work to go through to have everyone drink the Polyjuice potion just to give away which one is the real Harry before they even leave.

As I said before. I for one don't have a problem with changes. A book is one thing a movie is another thing. Its the movies that I have a problem with.This is also a family movies so I don't dissagee with thing being left out. But They're not made good enough.

And I still want to know

As I said before. I for one don't have a problem with changes. A book is one thing a movie is another thing. Its the movies that I have a problem with.This is also a family movies so I don't dissagee with thing being left out. But They're not made good enough. The films lacks in delevering its story. Not all the time but some parts are made really dumb and theres no need for it.

Example.

in LOTR they really let us now that Sam was there for Frodo or Frodo would've failed.

Why couldn't they have Harry be more thankful to Ron for just saving his life when Ron came back? To gay for the movies?

Hp IS about their friendship after all. Even Starkid's A very potter musical, a parody, made Harry and Ron friendship more canon!

And I still want to know about your opinion about the characters in the movies are better developed than in the books Occulus. Can you give an example. Where? how? You wrote "I think the main characters in the movies are really as well developed as the books. I actually like them more sometimes"

Sorry dubbel post. Wouldn't let me edit.

As I said before. I for one don't have a problem with changes. A book is one thing a movie is another thing. Its the movies that I have a problem with.This is also a family movies so I don't dissagee with thing being left out. But They're not made good enough. The films lacks in delevering its story. Not all the time but some parts are made really dumb and theres no need for it.

Example.

in LOTR they really let us now that Sam was there for Frodo or Frodo would've failed.

Why couldn't they have Harry be more thankful to Ron for just saving his life when Ron came back? To gay for the movies?

Hp IS about their friendship after all. Even Starkid's A very potter musical, a parody, made Harry and Ron friendship more canon!

And I still want to know about your opinion about the characters in the movies are better developed than in the books Occulus. Can you give an example. Where? how? You wrote "I think the main characters in the movies are really as well developed as the books. I actually like them more sometimes"

Sorry dubbel post. Wouldn't let me edit.

I think this is what I hated the most. Harry was so cold with Ron!!! In the book, Harry was very happy with Ron's return, but in the movie not so much...

Not yet, but I hope they look as good as Dan.

I don't know. Maybe it's because I've watched them start out as little kids, grow up before my eyes becoming teenagers and now young adults that I have more affection for the film versions. The actor's own personal quirks as real people become part of their characters. I've seen them their individual acting develop through each movie and their chemistry and real life friendship come through onscreen.

Not yet, but I hope they look as good as Dan.

I don't know. Maybe it's because I've watched them start out as little kids, grow up before my eyes becoming teenagers and now young adults that I have more affection for the film versions. The actor's own personal quirks as real people become part of their characters. I've seen them their individual acting develop through each movie and their chemistry and real life friendship come through onscreen.

Oh, Ok. I understand that.

HP and DHpart 1. I am truly happy that its still climbing on box offie. I really didn't think so as the first month it was behind HBP. But I am happily taking it back! :yesyes:

Total Lifetime Grosses.

Domestic: $283,237,000 31.4%

+ Foreign: $617,800,000 68.6%

= Worldwide: $901,037,000

This is quite true.

When the 1st movie came out, I had already read PS, CoS and PoA had a mental picture of how H/R/Hr were supposed to look like, but those thoughts started to slowly vanish, and towards the last couple of books all I could picture was the actual actors playing JK Rowling's scenes as I was reading the chapters.

They really do the trio justice.

What I really don't like about the movies is the fact that some crucial plots were underdeveloped, such as Hermione's SPEW.

I can understand time restrictions for it to be fully explained, but it should have been at least very roughly.

In the end, it not only sets a great example about how the minorities should be treated but it is also important as R/Hr get together after he finally gets her point (as JKR mentioned).

Less screentime should have been put on pointless ideas which were only in Kloves' mind and actually keep the movies as canon as possible.