The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Lately in the news we have been seeing countless amounts of young people killing themselves due to bullying in all sorts of ways, whether it is because of them being suspected of being a homosexual, being pretty, being clever or just being a little strange and different to other people.

It is a worldwide problem and considering I suffered for a while in highschool I know it is a serious problem. The schools in my opinion have no idea how to deal with it, and i only got it sorted because my father had to come into school and scream at the head about how ill it was making me etc.

What do you all think of this epidemic of cruel behaviour?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a strange phenomenon. Teens from all classes bully. So it has something to do with the psyche I suppose. It's very serious. When I moved from my home to a new city I was bullied as well for a long time (years). No idea how I managed it. I guess some people grow strong and the others break (and some of them kill themselves). It did one good thing for me anyway.

It's a strange phenomenon. Teens from all classes bully. So it has something to do with the psyche I suppose. It's very serious. When I moved from my home to a new city I was bullied as well for a long time (years). No idea how I managed it. I guess some people grow strong and the others break (and some of them kill themselves). It did one good thing for me anyway.

Yeah your definitly right, every class structure bullies and its really strange. Oh gosh sounds horrid, i only suffered a year and a half thank god but years sounds tough.

what good did it do for you? I know it did me the world of good, it has made the strong person I am today but on the flipside i find it hard to let people in without thinking if they have motives for being my friend. Because my bullies became my friends then begun to bully me.

Yeah your definitly right, every class structure bullies and its really strange. Oh gosh sounds horrid, i only suffered a year and a half thank god but years sounds tough.

what good did it do for you? I know it did me the world of good, it has made the strong person I am today but on the flipside i find it hard to let people in without thinking if they have motives for being my friend. Because my bullies became my friends then begun to bully me.

It was really tough. I was everyday afraid to go to school (especially in high school). It started when I moved and went to 5th and 6th grade. And then it continued even worse at high school.

Yeah, it made me a stronger person for sure. People can't offend me anymore. If people give me BS now (that doesn't happen very often) I don't let them, I fire back lol or just ignore them and laugh. Well kinda the same, I don't trust very eaisly. I don't trust anyone fully accept one or two people. But I make friends kinda quickly. Happened to me as well, two of them became my friends and then bullied me.

But it's the past. I've got great friends now.

It was really tough. I was everyday afraid to go to school (especially in high school). It started when I moved and went to 5th and 6th grade. And then it continued even worse at high school.

Yeah, it made me a stronger person for sure. People can't offend me anymore. If people give me BS now (that doesn't happen very often) I don't let them, I fire back lol or just ignore them and laugh. Well kinda the same, I don't trust very eaisly. I don't trust anyone fully accept one or two people. But I make friends kinda quickly. Happened to me as well, two of them became my friends and then bullied me.

But it's the past. I've got great friends now.

Me too, i would hide in the toilets so i didn't have to go to form. My friend had to tell my form tutor that i was in so he could sign the register. I was so frightened, and unfortunately the ringleader in the end attacked me. She was the coward and came from behind me, but she didn't exactly win due to my lovely brother who taught me to defend myself.

Yeah definitly stronger, yeaaah i noticed that i make friends really easily too and i have loads of confidence in situations i shouldnt normally. Must be a bully thing, they must become your friend and slowly break you.

Awww i am so glad to hear that.

Me too, i would hide in the toilets so i didn't have to go to form. My friend had to tell my form tutor that i was in so he could sign the register. I was so frightened, and unfortunately the ringleader in the end attacked me. She was the coward and came from behind me, but she didn't exactly win due to my lovely brother who taught me to defend myself.

Yeah definitly stronger, yeaaah i noticed that i make friends really easily too and i have loads of confidence in situations i shouldnt normally. Must be a bully thing, they must become your friend and slowly break you.

Awww i am so glad to hear that.

Aw that sucks. haha, thats good that you won.

Well I have a problem with confidence sometimes or believing in my self, but thats another story. :P Yeah, but most just bullied without knowing me really.

Yep, great that you feel better now as well. (:

bullying is the wrost thing that can ever Happen in school i am strongly against it cause when i was in school I was bullied and picked on so bad so those who get picked on i understand there pain and theres so many ways that bullying can lead to like On facebook talking about someone on there status or they can go far and make a fake profile and pretend to be a guy so that way you can feel like crap when you realize it is girls messing with you..

In 4th grade i had the worst thing ever happen to me I use to like this guy and these girls would make fake notes coming from him just to make me happy when all along it was them and i didn't even realize it.. and they made fun of me so bad..

One thing i know about bullying, i was bullied once, this was back in high school, but some of the senior boys told me, "let them push you, they'll keep doing it". One day, they tried to bully me, but i fought back, it was a big fight 3 vs 1, i got beaten up badly but at least they dont bully me no more.

Bullies are the same as us, they afraid of someone who different from them, normally bullies got bullied themselves, maybe at home. It's their way of taking out their anger. I know, cus some of the bullies actually became my good friend and he often told me about how he got beaten up by his brothers. So bullies arent always bad they just need someone to hold on to, or someone who'll listen to them.

Thanks for making this thread as it is something that I can really relate to. I really feel for those who are or have been bullied and understand what they are going through as I have been there myself through most of my years at school.

I actually made a thread about being bullied not long after I first joined this forum, Five years after leaving school that was the first time I had really talked being bullied. It was very hard but I felt that talking about it really helped me (and others). It was a relief and I felt that a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders.

It started when I was really young, about 7-8 years old and it lasted right through until I left high school at 16. Physical as well as verbal abuse. I never knew why I was targeted by bullies and I still don't today. Because of this I grew up as a very shy child and lacked confidence because of it. I kept it from everybody, even my parents didn't have a clue what was going on. I was all alone and too afraid to tell anyone about it, even the few friends I had, I always thought it would make things worse.

When I finished high school, I wanted to continue my education in college, I had good grades and had ambitions, but the bullying was just too much for me so I never went - a decision I regret to this day. Instead I started full time employment, but I also did an NVQ on day release at a college in Manchester - away from where I live and where nobody knew me, it was there that I started to gain a little more confidence and start to become the person I am today. I still wish that I went to full time college though.

Now I feel a lot more comfortable talking about what happened to me. I am still a little shy but much more confidence than I used to be and I am enjoying life at the moment. Looking back I just wish that I had done something about it, told somebody what was happening, nothing was ever going to change by keeping it to myself, it is very hard though when you are all on your own with no one to turn to.

There definitely need to be more done to help stop bullying, at the very least encouraging children and giving the confidence to talk to someone, to know that someone is there for them. I know it is hard but children shouldn't have to feel alone like I did and I hope that through my experience and talking about it that I have helped / will help others beat the bullies so they can get on and enjoy life without any fear.

bullying is just a part of 98% of the populations life.It's a part of life and is sometimes hard to handle. I've been bullied for over 10 years now. Just because your an adult it don't stop.

I'm glad a lot of attention is being brought to it now. Seriously though, some parents are SO oblivious. Like every single parent that's been on the news has been like "I had no idea that bullying was this bad". WHAT?? How do you not realize this? I mean, most of it's been coming to the news now but as we can see, especially from this forum, it's something that has been going on for years. Educators don't do enough. They try, but it's never enough. I was bullied for a long time, especially by one girl who sought me out as her target. Seriously, people need to enforce a no bullying policy. It just frustrates me that all this attention is being brought out now (don't get me wrong, I'm glad that people are starting to be more aware), but so many people have either been oblivious or pushed it under the rug.

I havent ever been bullied that much thankfully. But I have the a few.

There was one in particular that used to always try put me down, but I known for being a cheeky and odd person. So when ever he tried to pick on me I used to come back with something dumb. E.g He would call me a rude four letter word, so I would reply "your a poo poo head", he didnt like this kinda thing because it made him seem stupid picking on someone who obviously doesnt care. He used to ask me for fights so I would say yes and he would do nothing, full of hot air!

I havent had much physical bullying, but when Ive seen it, Ive stopped it.

To stop bullying I think its something that the teachers and parents cant solve, I think its down to students to gang up and give the bully a good clip around the ear or get up in there face and tell them to knock it off. Show them that we arent going to stand for it.

Two examples of this, A guy I know (really small and thin, a prime target) was being picked on by two guys, one was holding him by his bag, I saw it and told them to let him go and get lost (I was bigger than them), it worked and they dont pick on him anymore.

The other example, Some guys were telling another guy he was a pedophile because his girl friend was 2 years younger than him, he was chasing the two guys picking on him and really wanted to kill him.

I caught up to one and pinned him up against the wall and told them if they dont cut it out I will. They denied it (of course) but I told them I wasnt going to take any crap. One little Maori boy told me I was being racist (had to really resist the urge to slap him silly).

Thats my story, bullying needs to stop being accepted by other students and risen up against and the bullies get told/MADE to stop.

*Wow, long post. I hate bullying!

I have no other opinion than this: if you get bullied, you're a weak person, even though the bully is a retard. "Survival of the strongest" is pretty much the case, you've got to show your position amongst others well.

I dislike bullies and the ones getting bullied, the latter not always but most of the time I'm not too fond of people who cant stand up for themselves.

I have no other opinion than this: if you get bullied, you're a weak person, even though the bully is a retard. "Survival of the strongest" is pretty much the case, you've got to show your position amongst others well.

I dislike bullies and the ones getting bullied, the latter not always but most of the time I'm not too fond of people who cant stand up for themselves.

I absolutely disagree, but I understand it is your opinion so I respect that.

I have to ask you this though... have you ever been bullied yourself? If not then you can never know how it feels and I feel calling those who are bullied a weak person is very unfair.

Everybody is different and everybody deals with things in a different way. Not everybody can stand up for themselves, that doesn't mean they are a weak person though, you could even argue that it takes a lot of strength and courage to keep going back to school or wherever every day, knowing what might happen. For me it started when I was 6-7, how do you expect a young kid to stand up to a group of bullies? I was shy, lacked confidence and felt all alone, it had nothing to do with being a weak person.

I know two of those who bullied me when I was at school, they failed most of their exams, one has never even had a job, one is in prison... Yet, I got decent grades, a good job, a lot of good freinds and I am enjoying life. I can stand up for myself these days, but then I never have any problems either, so you tell me, in my case who really won in the end in "survival of the strongest?".

In my opinion it is the bullies themselves who are weak and insecure, having been on the recieving end I find it hard to sympathise, but for whatever reason they became bullies, they also need help as well as I do believe that people can change. It is the victims of bullies that I feel for though.

hahahah, no. Kidding aside I think you didn't read the other replies. Because a lot of the bullied people are stronger than before. ;) And I believe it's pretty hard to stand up for your self if a lot of people bully you. And if you fight back an entire group and their friends get after you. But I agree, you need a lot of self confidence.

weak? your having a laugh right?

It takes a strong person to put up with the amount some of us have had to over the years.

I personally dislike ignorant people but you know....

I absolutely disagree, but I understand it is your opinion so I respect that.

I have to ask you this though... have you ever been bullied yourself? If not then you can never know how it feels and I feel calling those who are bullied a weak person is very unfair.

Everybody is different and everybody deals with things in a different way. Not everybody can stand up for themselves, that doesn't mean they are a weak person though, you could even argue that it takes a lot of strength and courage to keep going back to school or wherever every day, knowing what might happen. For me it started when I was 6-7, how do you expect a young kid to stand up to a group of bullies? I was shy, lacked confidence and felt all alone, it had nothing to do with being a weak person.

I know two of those who bullied me when I was at school, they failed most of their exams, one has never even had a job, one is in prison... Yet, I got decent grades, a good job, a lot of good freinds and I am enjoying life. I can stand up for myself these days, but then I never have any problems either, so you tell me, in my case who really won in the end in "survival of the strongest?".

In my opinion it is the bullies themselves who are weak and insecure, having been on the recieving end I find it hard to sympathise, but for whatever reason they became bullies, they also need help as well as I do believe that people can change. It is the victims of bullies that I feel for though.

I respect everyone else's opinions too, but I like how you stated it and others were like "omg what you're saying is wrong". :P

Yeah, your point is very correct and I have absolutely no objections. Although I have to say that no, I don't consider a 6-7 year old getting bullied a weak person or personality, but the older you get, the more you have to stand up for yourself and I didn't realize bullying happens at THAT low of an age. I was sure that it doesn't start that early. Thats the thing I didn't consider when I was writing my opinion.

And as to the quite lame expression 'survival of the strongest', this only lasts for the time you're being bullied. In the end, of course you're the nicer and more tolerant person than the bullies AND you have a greater chance of succeeding in life. Not in all cases, but at least in your case.

//EDIT: Oh, and some have tried to bully me at a younger age, but have failed quite miserably. And there have been very few because I'm studying at basically the best school (or 2nd best. And 'best' in many terms) in town and the rate of retards (bullies) is veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery low, due to the difficulty of being able to start studies at the school. Bullies, who are usually retards, simply fail here and drop out.

hahahah, no. Kidding aside I think you didn't read the other replies. Because a lot of the bullied people are stronger than before. ;) And I believe it's pretty hard to stand up for your self if a lot of people bully you. And if you fight back an entire group and their friends get after you. But I agree, you need a lot of self confidence.

I did read the other replies. You've got to keep fighting back, that's the thing. At least I wouldn't back down to no one.

weak? your having a laugh right?

It takes a strong person to put up with the amount some of us have had to over the years.

I personally dislike ignorant people but you know....

Sure it does, but if you were strong enough, you'd fight back and stand up for yourself.

NOT trying to be offensive!

Edited by U K

^lol, i was wondering why bullies never pick on pplz twice their size lol

one thing about bullying, we can always beat them with numbers, cus the number of the bullied is always bigger than bullies. i prefer take em one on one but that's the best thing about bullies, they scared of u more than u scared of them, thats why they always travels in packs

I respect everyone else's opinions too, but I like how you stated it and others were like "omg what you're saying is wrong". :P

Yeah, your point is very correct and I have absolutely no objections. Although I have to say that no, I don't consider a 6-7 year old getting bullied a weak person or personality, but the older you get, the more you have to stand up for yourself and I didn't realize bullying happens at THAT low of an age. I was sure that it doesn't start that early. Thats the thing I didn't consider when I was writing my opinion.

And as to the quite lame expression 'survival of the strongest', this only lasts for the time you're being bullied. In the end, of course you're the nicer and more tolerant person than the bullies AND you have a greater chance of succeeding in life. Not in all cases, but at least in your case.

//EDIT: Oh, and some have tried to bully me at a younger age, but have failed quite miserably. And there have been very few because I'm studying at basically the best school (or 2nd best. And 'best' in many terms) in town and the rate of retards (bullies) is veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery low, due to the difficulty of being able to start studies at the school. Bullies, who are usually retards, simply fail here and drop out.

I still don't agree, but I am glad that you have explained your answer more. When you have been bullied from that young of an age, it is harder to stand up against bullies as you get older, because you are just so low on confidence. It wasn't until I had finished school and the bullying stopped, that I started to gain confidence in myself.

It can start at a younger age than 6-7 too, but as soon as kids are put together and are able to interact with one another when they start nursery school at 4-5 the possibility is there for bullying, it's not as common, they may not even realise what bullying is and it is more likely to be picked up by a parent/teacher, but it can happen. Perhaps more awareness needs to be raised at a younger age, and children made to feel that there will always be somebody there for them to talk to if ever they have problems.

I did read the other replies. You've got to keep fighting back, that's the thing. At least I wouldn't back down to no one.

Well I didn't fight back per se. I just got a lot more self confidence. And I started to laugh about it. It stopped then and now nobody screws with me. So there are at least two ways to handle this problem.