The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Originals Vs. Covers

There are some nice covers. I know some cover songs by Guns n Roses that sounds better than the original songs, like "Knocking on Heaven's door", "Nice Boys", "Raw Power", and "Attitude". There are crappy ones like "Paradise City" it was covered by Slash himself (he's one of the writer), along with Fergie, and Cypress Hills.

Generally I usually prefer the original to cover versions of songs, there can be some great cover versions though.

The Byrds cover of Bob Dylan's 'Mr Tambourine Man' and Sinead O'Connor's cover of Prince's 'Nothing Compare's 2 U' are two great examples I can think of.

I know some cover songs by Guns n Roses that sounds better than the original songs, like "Knocking on Heaven's door"

I prefer Guns n Roses version too, great song.

One more song Guns n Roses covered in my opinion "Mama Kin". They covered this back when they havent reach fame yet.

I saw Metallica did Ozzy's "Iron Man" at the Hall of Fame show, it was great.

Joan Jett's "I love rock n roll" is better than the original ones, it was originally written by Alan Merill and Jack Hooker, but she made it famous

Dakota Fanning and Kristen Stewart's version of The Runaways aint so bad either

It really depends, some covers are great. Have you ever heard "Punk Goes Pop", it's all these "Punk" bands doing covers of Pop songs like When I Grow Up by Mayday Parade, it's much better than the Pussycats version. You should check them out, there are several different versions like Punk Goes Crunk, Punk Goes Classic Rock, Punk Goes 80's, etc. For the most part the covers are really good and I prefer them to the original, it also depends on the band.

Some more covers that I like, I don't necessarily think that they are all better than the originals (some are) but they are all covers, and I like them.

Feeling Good – Muse (original by Various – not sure)

Jealous Guy – Roxy Music (original by John Lennon)

You’ve Got The Love – Florence & The Machine (original by The Source)

Streets of Philadelphia – Grace Bawden (original by Bruce Springsteen)

Stand By Me – John Lennon (original by Ben E King)

What A Wonderful World – Eva Cassidy (original by Louis Armstrong)

Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley (original by Leonard Cohen)

Rocket Man – Kate Bush (original by Elton John)

All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix (original by Bob Dylan)

• 2 weeks later...

Running Up That Hill - Placebo (original by Kate Bush)

Land of Confusion - Disturbed (original by Genesis)

Tainted Love - Marilyn Manson (original by Gloria Jones but made famous by Soft Cell)

I learned yesterday that Bruno Mars' "Just the Way You Are" is a cover ... And me thinking that he was some revealing artist ...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I don't really know what's the originals and covers. But Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah is better than Cohen's, if he now did the original.

Eva Cassidy's Fields of gold is amazing.

Nouvelle Vague do some pretty good covers too. Dancing with myself and Ever fallen in love are good.

It really depends, some covers are great. Have you ever heard "Punk Goes Pop", it's all these "Punk" bands doing covers of Pop songs like When I Grow Up by Mayday Parade, it's much better than the Pussycats version. You should check them out, there are several different versions like Punk Goes Crunk, Punk Goes Classic Rock, Punk Goes 80's, etc. For the most part the covers are really good and I prefer them to the original, it also depends on the band.

I quite like the pop ones, I was just thinking I don't see the point of punk goes classic rock.... but listening to died in your arms tonight-my future lies and its very very good. not saying its better then the original but it doesn't have to be, it works.

Marilyn Manson has made good covers, such as Tainted Love and This Is Halloween

I like Imagine from A Perfect Circle (Originally from The Beatles)

Oh and there's this band called Pain wich made an pretty good cover from the song Eleaonor Rigby (Also from The Beatles), I lile it, because when I first heard it, I thought it was an original piece, until I heard the lyrics a little closer thehehe.

Helloween's I Want Out, covered by Sonata Arctica is truly awesome too

I can't remember clearly now, but a woman singer covered either Paradise City or Welcome to the Jungle (Both originally from GnR) and I absolutely hated it. I considered it an insult to the band thehehe. I thin it was Bjork or something like that. Please correct me if I'm wrong :P xD

• 4 months later...

Sometimes the cover is better than the original

Nightwish-Phantom of the Opera

Leaves' Eyes-To France

Atrocity-The sun always shines on TV

Terminal Choice-Don't go

Minerve-Here comes the rain again

Edited by Ophelia

Lacuna Coil covered Depeche Mode's Enjoy the Silence really well, even though I'm not a huge fan of that band.

Other than that:

Megadeth - Anarchy in the UK (original artist: Sex Pistols)

Judas Priest - Diamonds and Rust (original artist: Joan Baez)

Anthrax - Got the Time (original artist: Joe Jackson)

• 5 months later...