The Emma-Watson.net Forum

60's - 90's Music

This might be an age thing (or not) but I look at the charts these days I have never even heard of half of the artists and bands in there (surely a sign of getting old?) I have always considered myself open minded when it comes to music but I am increasingly feeling out of touch with modern music, it just doesn't appeal to me at all.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not knocking modern music and there are also modern bands and artists that I like and probably always will, I like Kasabian, Coldplay, Snow Patrol, Arcade Fire, KT Tunstall and Katie Melua to name a few, and Sigur Ros will always be amongst my all time favourites. But I have come to appreciate older music more and more and in fact, the majority of music that I own now was made before I was even born.

I love 60's and 70's rock in particular, although I love many genres. The decade I am most familar with though is the 90's as that is when I was growing up and started to become interested in music.

These are just some of the bands I love from the 60's - 90's...

AC/DC

Aerosmith

The Animals

The Beach Boys

The Beatles

Blondie

Blur

Bob Dylan

Bon Jovi

Bonnie Tyler

Boomtown Rats

Bryan Adams

The Cure

David Bowie

Def Leppard

Dire Straits

The Doors

Dusty Springfield

The Eagles

Electric Light Orchestra

Elvis Costello

Eric Clapton

Fleetwood Mac

Guns N Roses

Heart

The Hollies

James

Jefferson Airplane

Jimi Hendrix

Joan Jett

John Lennon

Joni Mitchell

Kate Bush

The Kinks

Led Zeppelin

Lou Reed

The Mamas & The Papas

Manic Street Preachers

Meatloaf

The Moody Blues

New Order

Paul McCartney

Pink Floyd

The Pretenders

Procol Harum

Pulp

Queen

R.E.M

Radiohead

The Rolling Stones

Roxy Music

Simon & Garfunkle

Simple Minds

The Smiths

Starship

Sting and The Police

T-Rex

Texas

U2

Ultravox

The Velvet Underground

The Verve

The Who

That's just picking out the main ones!

Do you like music from these four decades? What are your favourite artists?

I love the 90's most from those decades, it's also when I grew up. When I hear songs my parents use to listen to when they were happy together it makes me sad and happy at the same time >.<

U2, Queen ♥

Incubus - Drive

3 Doors Down - Story Of A Girl

Third Eye Blind - Semi Charmed Life

Spin Doctors - Two Princes

Brandy - Another Day in Paradise

Those are some great songs, in my opinion. I can't remember lots of songs though because I was between 5-9 years old.

Like Kim, i grew up in the 90s but thanks to my uncles, im into the oldies now.

My fav bands from those era would be:

-AC/DC

-Aerosmith

-Bon Jovi

-Guns N' Roses

-Joan Jett

-KISS

-Lynyrd Skynyrd (only know two songs lol)

-Metallica

-Motley Crue

-Poison

-Queen

-The Runaways (where Joan Jett started her career as musician)

-Van Halen

I know some other bands but only know couple songs, like

-Twisted Sister

-Suzi Quatro

-Ozzy/Black Sabbath

-Survivor

-Scorpion

-The Eagles

-Chuck Berry

-Creedence Clearwater Revival

-Bee Gees

i could go on lol... anyways 50s-90s songs are the best lol

Having grown up around my fathers favourite music, his music influences have rubbed off on me and i adore all those bands noted in the first post.

My faves

The Beatles

Rolling Stones

Alice in chains

Nirvana

Def Leppard

Paul Mccartney

John Lennon

I guess I was kind of late getting into music, my parents are not real big music lovers and they didn't really influence me, my dad doesn't really listen to anything and my mum only ever listened to Neil Diamond so I guess you could say I was brought up on that. I was born in the 80's but apart from a few cartoons, I can't remember much of that decade, so the 90's was where it all started for me.

I started buying music (still cassettes then :P ) at the time the whole Britpop era was kicking off so I guess that was a big influence on my early muscial interests, I hated Oasis though, I was always a Blur man. I was into mainstream pop a lot more then and always listened to the charts every week, I even had the first Spice Girls album :blush: and later Britney Spears too, I don't mind Britney too much although i'm not really into anything she has done after that first album, I still think that Baby One More Time was a great pop song.

It wasn't until I left school and started working with other people who are much older and listening to radio stations such as Radio 2 and Virgin Radio (now Absolute) that I started to discover and be influenced by music from the 60's onwards and buying albums of the artists I mentioned in the first post, now I have quite a big collection and it's still growing, I love it all.

Have any of you seen the movies 'Almost Famous' and 'The Boat The Rocked', if not then you should check them out, especially if you like 60's/70's music as they are full of it.

and Aqua!!

I will happily say that they are one part of the 90's I would be happy to forget :P

No Doubt were alright though.

I grew up with my grandaprents and I listen to 60's music with them alot and I really enjoy it (;

my grandpa nad I Always jam out to Pink Floyd lol (: we love there music (:

and My grandpa loves gutairs so he loves rock music

I love Pink Floyd, if I had to pick out my favourites Pink Floyd would definitely be one of them.

I have all of their albums, even their early psychedelic stuff from the 60's. Many people regard 'Dark Side of Moon' as their best work but my favourite is actually 'The Wall', it is just a masterpiece and for me more creative as it tells a story as well. The guitar solo on 'Comfortably Numb' is mesmerizing.

My favourite Pink Floyd song though is probably 'Wish You Were Here'

My list

- The Rolling Stones

- U2

- Metallica

- REM

- The Doors

- The Eagles

- The Beatles

- Creedence Clearwater Revival

- AC/DC

- Guns N' Roses