The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Different English And British Words

These are some of the different English and British words.

Please add more I know I missed some :) I hope this becomes useful.

(American)-British

(Apartment)-flat

(argument)-row

(baby carriage)-pram

(band-aid)-plaster

(bathroom)-loo

(can)-tin

(chopped beef)-mince

(cookie)-biscuit

(corn)-maize

(diaper)-nappy

(elevator)-lift

(eraser)-rubber

(flashlight)-torch

(fries)-chips

(gas)-petrol

(guy)-chap

(highway)-motorway

(hood of a car)-bonnet

(trunk of a car)-boot

(jello)-jelly

(jelly)-jam

(movie theater)-cinema

(soccer)-football

(truck)-lorry

(zip code)-postal code

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great list!

Imagine - us Americans are rebels, we have to have new words for everything, not use the metric system, etc. It's not meant to offend :P lol.

Amber you rebel.

it is just the way the topic is worded just got me angry lol English and British is the same thing.

It is you Americans who spoil the language haha jk :P:doh:

(Trash) Rubbish

(Bangs) Fringe

(Cell Phone) Mobile Phone

(guy)-chap

I have to laugh at this one. :lol:

I have never once in 27 years as a born and bred Brit called anybody chap (I am sure a few do though), this must come from the stereotypical "jolly good show, pass me a cup of Earl Gray tea will you old chap" viewpoint that some Americans have about us Brits.

When I am referring to a man or a guy, I usually say 'mate' as in 'Alright mate?' or 'bloke' as in 'look at that bloke over there'.

I like this thread :P

Even when we do say mobile we say it as mo-bul. But I've noticed you guys say mo-Bile with the emphasis on the second syllable.

I saw a video on cnet a while back and they were at some unveiling event for Verizon or some such and the presenter was British and he said mo-Bile. The cnet people were making fun of him because to us that sounds a bit hick. As in "Is that one a them there new fangled moBILE phones?"

Good stuff. I guess you had to see it to get the full effect. :P

(Trash) Rubbish

(Bangs) Fringe

I have to laugh at this one. :lol:

I have never once in 27 years as a born and bred Brit called anybody chap (I am sure a few do though), this must come from the stereotypical "jolly good show, pass me a cup of Earl Gray tea will you old chap" viewpoint that some Americans have about us Brits.

When I am referring to a man or a guy, I usually say 'mate' as in 'Alright mate?' or 'bloke' as in 'look at that bloke over there'.

I like this thread :P

lmao yes your right, ive never heard any of my lad mates being called "chap"

Perhaps it is (guy)lad?

Even when we do say mobile we say it as mo-bul. But I've noticed you guys say mo-Bile with the emphasis on the second syllable.

that is because we pronounce the letters and not ignore the letters :D OH YES i went there :P

Perhaps it is (guy)lad?

Yes, your probably right, especially in a group - a group of lads, often when I am talking about Stoke City I will refer to them as 'the lads'

So how do you get Edin-bur-uh out of Edinburgh?

You need to do better than that, that's not even English :P

Edinburgh is Scottish, Scottish is a Celtic lanugauge like Irish. Burgh is pronounced Burrah giving you Edin-Burrah = Edinburgh. Also see Musselburgh and Newburgh.

The English equivalent would be Borough..... Middlesborough, Peterborough etc.

Yes, your probably right, especially in a group - a group of lads, often when I am talking about Stoke City I will refer to them as 'the lads'

Edinburgh is Scottish, Scottish is a Celtic lanugauge like Irish. Burgh is pronounced Burrah giving you Edin-Burrah = Edinburgh. Also see Musselburgh and Newburgh.

OH how i enjoyed that lol I didnt think of that.

Well you learn something new everyday.

Edinburgh is Scottish, Scottish is a Celtic lanugauge like Irish.

I didn't know there was that big of difference. I mean I know the origins of the languages and what not. I guess I just assumed it was all Britain.

Hows about Americans ignoring the letter "U" in everything. Crazy

You're going to have to give me an example. I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at.

So what's the British equivalent of "up in here"?

I didn't know there was that big of difference.

To be fair, there isn't really anymore, most people in Scotland, Ireland and to a lesser extent Wales speak English, you can go to Wales and the main language is English but all the signposts are in Welsh as well as English and a lot of the people still speak the lanuage. Irish, Welsh and Scottish are Celtic or Gaelic lanuages. English, or what used to be Ye Olde English is a Germanic language which came from Anglo-Saxon invaders.

It's 'up in here' :P

I don't really know what you mean by this phrase.

I don't know much about word differences between English and American English, I.e. jell-o, jelly, and jam, since I have not yet befriended a Brit.

And I haven't a clue how in the world Brits come up with these words. Like "nappy" for "diaper"? Really. I don't see the idea behind it! Lol! I feel like it's much simpler to call a "baby carriage" a baby carriage, instead of a "pram".

WHERE DO THESE WORDS COME FROM?! :D

I do find this super interesting, though, so I hope this thread gets larger. And I am saving this list to my phone, for future reference, as I speak. This is entertaining.

Wouldn't these words be considered "colloquial"?

And, also, adding the "U"'s to everything. Is it necessary? (I am only joking, so don't get mad at me! Lol!) "Color vs. Colour", "Favorite vs. Favourite", etc.

Or, the "S" in place of the "Z", as in "Organization vs. Organisation".

I have to say, if I decided to spend time in Britain in the future I would probably be really confused. LOL. :P

You're going to have to give me an example. I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at.

Like, Color we spell it (colour) and Mom when we spell and say it (mum) cant think of anymore, just got up lol

not sure what you mean by that, but if you said in which context it is in i will know.