The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Different English And British Words

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you post something that takes the mick out of the British in response? I'm interested to see what comedians say about us limeys. :D

I was gonna post something from the Family Guy Episode called Patriot Games but they're all gone from YouTube. Copyright reasons. I'll see if I can rustle something up.

Those videos are absolutely hilarious, I have seen many stand up acts making fun of people from other countries. Al Murray is probably the best for that, making fun of stereotypes.

Don't worry about us Brit's 'The Dude', weve seen it all before, it's comedy and supposed to be laughed at so i don't think anyone will get offended, this thread has been pretty light hearted and I think the comedy will just add to that.

To be completely stereotypical... we have a 'stiff upper lip' and are the first to make fun out of ourselves ahead of what anyone can throw at us.

Those videos are absolutely hilarious, I have seen many stand up acts making fun of people from other countries. Al Murray is probably the best for that, making fun of stereotypes.

Don't worry about us Brit's 'The Dude', weve seen it all before, it's comedy and supposed to be laughed at so i don't think anyone will get offended, this thread has been pretty light hearted and I think the comedy will just add to that.

To be completely stereotypical... we have a 'stiff upper lip' and are the first to make fun out of ourselves ahead of what anyone can throw at us.

Maybe you're right. I've just been on other Emma forums before where stuff like this didn't turn out so well.

I was on a different Emma forum a few years back and I was pretty much myself. People didn't know how to take that. I tend to make a lot of tongue in cheek comments or biting remarks that although humorous, some people took offense to. They didn't know I was just making a joke because I didn't use emoticons. Well that's not my style. I also visit a sports forum where there's a lot of this type humor and posting going on. You know, it's the typical guys ragging on each other, your mama jokes, guys being guys, stuff like that. I'm right at home there. So I've learned from my experiences where I can say and do what and where I can't. So on this forum I'm veeerrrrrry toned down.

All that to say, I was just trying to nip it in the bud and keep this thread from going down that path. But maybe I was being a little overly cautious. So carry on.

exactly, us British tend to be in on the joke sometimes :) plus as a nation we have a awesome sense of humour plus we can take jokes lol.

Maybe you're right. I've just been on other Emma forums before where stuff like this didn't turn out so well.

I was on a different Emma forum a few years back and I was pretty much myself. People didn't know how to take that. I tend to make a lot of tongue in cheek comments or biting remarks that although humorous, some people took offense to. They didn't know I was just making a joke because I didn't use emoticons. Well that's not my style. I also visit a sports forum where there's a lot of this type humor and posting going on. You know, it's the typical guys ragging on each other, your mama jokes, guys being guys, stuff like that. I'm right at home there. So I've learned from my experiences where I can say and do what and where I can't. So on this forum I'm veeerrrrrry toned down.

All that to say, I was just trying to nip it in the bud and keep this thread from going down that path. But maybe I was being a little overly cautious. So carry on.

i can see why you became concerned, but yeah no worries about us getting offended lol. Its only the internet after all lol

exactly, us British tend to be in on the joke sometimes :) plus as a nation we have a awesome sense of humour plus we can take jokes lol.

i can see why you became concerned, but yeah no worries about us getting offended lol. Its only the internet after all lol

Good to know. As I said, I'm very toned down on this board because on that other board I was offending people on an hourly basis and none of the stuff I said was serious. Basically just being a smartass.

I love english words (not in a bad way) its good to use something else that way a fellow american can't tell what it is even my teacher BAHAHA

Does Fight in British language mean Flap? I saw Ballet Shoes and I heard it in there

I love english words (not in a bad way) its good to use something else that way a fellow american can't tell what it is even my teacher BAHAHA

Does Fight in British language mean Flap? I saw Ballet Shoes and I heard it in there

No sorry, Fight means Fight :P

I am not sure what you mean by flap, it has been a few years since I have seen Ballet Shoes.

I got one for ya. What's a jumper? I get that it's a piece of clothing but beyond that I'm lost.

I only really know it as a peice of clothing, like a sweatshirt or sweater.

You could also say a jumper is someone who commits suicide by jumping from a high place.

It's also a rubbish movie :P

Edited by dazza_stoke

I only really know it as a peice of clothing, like a sweatshirt or sweater.

You could also say a jumper is someone who commits suicide by jumping from a high place.

It's also a rubbish movie :P

Yeah, the first thing I thought of was someone committing suicide but since they were talking about clothing when I read it I figured that wasn't it.

Never saw the movie, heard it was awful though.