The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Harry Potter Tattoos

So I never thought I'd even consider getting a tattoo, unless it was Harry Potter related or something else that I love just as much.

I'm actually thinking of getting one, or two. Although I'd hate the pain :P

I want "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good" (how it looks in the movies), maybe "Mischief Managed" somewhere else, and a beautiful coloured tattoo of Fawkes. No idea where on my body but somewhere a little bit hidden, not on my arm or leg or anything.

What do you think would make cool HP tattoos? Do you want any?

I have seen loads of HP tattoos, everything you can imagine, quotes, symbols, spells, characters/creatures, etc. I personally don't think I'll be getting one. I love tattoos and there is one that I want, but it's not HP related, I mean I guess I could tie into HP somehow. But I'm so indecisive about it and I don't want to get it and then regret it later... no regrets is what tattoos are about.

I wouldn't worry so much about the pain, I've went with friends when they got their tattoos and they've said it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be, it also depends where on the body you get it, your wrist, tailbone, and ankle are the most painful because there isn't much muscle there. My friends have said it's like a burning feeling, also depending on the size and detail of the tat has a lot to do with the pain factor, it's part of the reason it takes some tattoos a few months to get finished (these are usually huge tattoos though).

What all this blah blah blah is about is, if you really want a tattoo (HP or not) and you're fully committed to getting one, don't let the fear of pain stop you.

I have been thinking about getting an Emma-Watson-themed tattoo for two or three years now, even did the design work...but actually going out and have it done is a much bigger step than I thought at first.:doh:

While the sense of permanence with a tattoo can be part of the appeal for many, the intrinsic quality of its' permanence is certainly worthy of consideration when making the final decision. That said, in fairness, how many of us can truthfully say how we'll feel about any of the decisions we make 50 years from now as oppossed to today?

If you have a strong desire to get a tattoo, and you take your time in deciding what that tattoo should be and where you want to get it, that's the best I think you can hope for in making a decision you won't regret down the road. Decide if you want the tattoo for public display, or for private, personal reasons. Decide whether or not you want the tattoo somewhere you can see it regularly, or somewhere it is displayed for others when you go out (if you want it for public display, decide if it is something that you can display with pride and without fear of judgement or consequence). Find out if your getting the tattoo in a place that is likely to change shape and alter the tattoo in any way as you get older. Take all those things into account and make sure you go to a respected tattoo artist if you choose to get the tattoo. Others can add anything they think would also be relevant in making the decision... but those are the things I think you should consider most as you weigh the benefits/drawbacks to getting something that is going to be representative of you in a very real way, likely for the rest of your life.

In 2 months i'm getting the deathly hallows sign on my wrist. (Wand, stone and cloak) Not too big, just about 1-2 inches at the most. Just decideing what way to get it. Faceing me or outwards?

I also want the bird from the Emma Watson old side or the dangling converse. I just need to find the image on my other arm, identical place as the deathly hallows sign.

Then nothing to do with Harry Potter at some point in the next 3 years i want Trust on one wrist and Faith on the other. I MIGHT change it to Eat Me and Drink Me though. >.<

In 2 months i'm getting the deathly hallows sign on my wrist. (Wand, stone and cloak) Not too big, just about 1-2 inches at the most. Just decideing what way to get it. Faceing me or outwards?

I also want the bird from the Emma Watson old side or the dangling converse. I just need to find the image on my other arm, identical place as the deathly hallows sign.

Then nothing to do with Harry Potter at some point in the next 3 years i want Trust on one wrist and Faith on the other. I MIGHT change it to Eat Me and Drink Me though. >.<

oh that's awesome :) do post picture when you get it done.

if it was me, id have it facing me :)

I wouldn't have any tattoos personally, it is just not me, but I think that they look great on some people and I have seen some brilliant HP tattoos before.

I agree with 'The Dude' though, although you can never be 100%, you need to be as certain as you can be that it's not something you are going to regret 30-40 years down the line, if you have any doubts, you should really think about it before going for it and make sure it is what you really want.

Apart from that, good luck to those who are thinking about it and try not to let the fear of pain put you off as it is only temporary (if at all), you should go for it.

If anyone gets one or already has one, you should post up pictures, they would be good to see.

I MIGHT change it to Eat Me and Drink Me though. >.<

Would recommend against this. Eat Me has sexual connotations and you don't want to be sending guys a signal you didn't intend to send. Because really, guys don't need much encouragement when it comes to that department.

As far as the permanency is concerned, think about how cool the guy that got May The Force Be With You tatooed on himself in 1980 feels today.

^Not all lads are jerks. >.<

This is true. But if you're ever out at a bar or even a restaurant or something and there's a bunch of guys around and someone sees this tattoo, expect crude comments.

I'm not saying don't get it. And I'm not trying to be mean here. I was just trying to let you in on how guys think. They'll take any opportunity they can to mess with a girl like that. Especially if they don't realize it's from Alice In Wonderland.

I wouldn`t have known where it`s from. And I might have gotten funny ideas about what they mean. Although coming from a non-english speaking country, I`d have had some serious doubts and you`d be safe from me.:rolleyes:

This is true. But if you're ever out at a bar or even a restaurant or something and there's a bunch of guys around and someone sees this tattoo, expect crude comments.

I'm not saying don't get it. And I'm not trying to be mean here. I was just trying to let you in on how guys think. They'll take any opportunity they can to mess with a girl like that. Especially if they don't realize it's from Alice In Wonderland.

I'm sure i'll be fine as i don't drink >.< Or know any jerks.

I'm sure i'll be fine as i don't drink >.< Or know any jerks.

As long as you only stay with your current bf or find amazingly unjerkingly guys then you should be sweet, and if it's hidden well or you don't care what people say! Haha.

As for mine I don't know if I'll ever get them, I'd love to but like everyone said I might regret it in 50 years... but I highly doubt this, because I've been crazy about HP for a large portion of my life and I believe that won't change :P The future could always change, I dunno :P It'll always mean something to me.

I've always thought about the idea of a tattoo. When I first started noticing people I knew get them, I was kind of shocked and had a very negative view of tattoos in general (maybe because most of my friends waited right until they turned legal age and didn't need parental consent to get one).

I could not, for the life of me, figure out why someone would want a mark on their body forever. I think this idea of permanence is what put me off.

However, I met a friend of my sister's about a year ago and she had mentioned to me that she had a tattoo. I could not figure out where, until she adjusted her shirt and showed me. My jaw dropped. The tattoo covered the whole of her back, and it was absolutely stunning.

If I ever have the guts to get one (I have kicked it around in my head for a while), I might want to have an artist inscribe a quote from the novels with a design, or maybe a quote from another language I have studied or will be studying in the future. Something with meaning. Nothing too big or showy or for public display, maybe on my back.

Of course, this isn't until I've thought it completely through...I give myself few years' thought.

And, I would not tell anybody I know/will know that I got one. :D

As for the pain factor--if you've thought it through as completely as you can and have reached a decision to really get something meaningful and representative of you inscribed on you, wouldn't it be quite worth it?

;)

Edited by K.Lo
  • 2 months later...

I wouldn't have any tattoos personally, it is just not me, but I think that they look great on some people and I have seen some brilliant HP tattoos before.

I agree with 'The Dude' though, although you can never be 100%, you need to be as certain as you can be that it's not something you are going to regret 30-40 years down the line, if you have any doubts, you should really think about it before going for it and make sure it is what you really want.

Apart from that, good luck to those who are thinking about it and try not to let the fear of pain put you off as it is only temporary (if at all), you should go for it.

If anyone gets one or already has one, you should post up pictures, they would be good to see.

Totally agree with you there.

As long as you only stay with your current bf or find amazingly unjerkingly guys then you should be sweet, and if it's hidden well or you don't care what people say! Haha.

As for mine I don't know if I'll ever get them, I'd love to but like everyone said I might regret it in 50 years... but I highly doubt this, because I've been crazy about HP for a large portion of my life and I believe that won't change :P The future could always change, I dunno :P It'll always mean something to me.

I've been wanting to get a tattoo since I was really young and I've thought and thought and thought about what I should get... but so far I have come up with nothing that I want to carve PERMANENTLY on my skin, it's statement you have to live with for the rest of your life (of course there's the removal option but heck, why the tattoo in the first place then?) and who knows what can happen 5,10,30, 50 years from now. I liked your ideas though, but I'd only enjoy the quote for a short time, then it'd be old and boring ;)

Getting a tattoo is a big thing, whether it's HP related or not. So consider people! B)