The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Post Potter Depression

See what I did there? Clever title, huh?

So HP won't officially be over until next summer. But I've seen several different posts on these forums where people are posting their sorrow, their memories, their feelings when first coming into the fold and their feelings leaving Potter mania behind, their feelings about the trio never playing these roles again and saying goodbye to their characters forever.

So I thought we should have a thread just for that. Collect them all here. Tell us your memories. Maybe how you grew up with them or watched them grow up. About the premieres you went to. If you've ever met one of the trio. How you're feeling now that it's really coming to an end. And so on.

Tell us...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I love the books, and most of the movies, I'm ready to see the trio move on to other things. I want to see what kind of range they have. There's always the DVD when you need your HP fix. But there's nowhere else for the story to go.

I love the title although I wouldn't really describe it as depression. I will be sad when it is all over and I really don't want it to end, it has been fantastic over the past decade and I have loved every minute of it.

As with Emma, my love affair with Harry Potter really all started with PoA but I love them all and while I will always treasure the books more, I adore the movies too.

Although it will never be the same again, it will never truly be over either, we will always have the books and movies to look back on time and time again. Harry Potter is the Star Wars of our generation and people will still be watching them and talking about them for years to come. We can watch our children enjoy them just as much as we have.

They will never get to experience what some of us have though.... I have enjoyed some fantastic times and great experiences, I have attended a Premiere (GoF - and will be at DHPrt2 too) which in itself was an experience, I have been to a book launch (DH). I even attended an event where Emma was launching an HP fashion range for M&S, she was stunning and so much more beautiful close up and in the flesh. She signed my book.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/dazza_stoke/Miscellaneous/autograph.jpg . It has been a brilliant time and worth every moment and penny spent.

One of the best things for me though about the past decade is not the books, or the movies or the stars in them. It is the people I have met, friends I have made along the way (some of which have become some of my very closest freinds) and the good times we have spent, both on this forum and in person, and that is something that will continue with old and new friends long after the final movie has been and gone.

Harry Potter has been a huge part of my life since I was young. Sometimes I just can't really believe this is the end. Sometimes it feels like no time has gone by at all and then others it feels like all of this, the last movie, has been a long time coming. Like I said in another post I'm going to keep Harry Potter a part of my life, it'll be a part of my children's lives. It'll be fascinating to see Harry Potter through the eyes of a whole new generation. A generation that doesn't get the excitement of new books, movies, merchandise, etc.

I love the title although I wouldn't really describe it as depression. I will be sad when it is all over

It's just a play on Postpartum Depression but yeah, depression may be too strong of a word. But Post Potter Sadness or Post Potter Melancholy just didn't have the same ring to it.

Although it will never be the same again, it will never truly be over either, we will always have the books and movies to look back on time and time again.

True. And they will never age in the movies. I can just see Emma now when she's 50 and a grande dame of stage and screen looking back at her first movies with her children (or maybe grand children) and saying "Yep, that was me. And it was a pretty big deal back then." And she'll of course get a little misty eyed as she hasn't really sat down and watched them in years. And she'll see her own beautiful face in GoF as yet uncreased by the experiences of life. And all the memories and emotions will come flooding back. She'll pick up the phone and call Dan and Rupert and they'll all meet at a little coffee shop where they'll go pretty much unnoticed and talk about how they couldn't have even dreamed of doing this 35 years ago without inciting a riot. They'll catch up and then reminisce about their life and times on the Potter set. They may even shed some tears. Then they'll all hug and promise to stay in touch, but they won't. And then go back to their separate lives.

^^Not quite sure what happened there. Please forgive my indulgence.

I think those who are 21 years and younger it would be a big part of their lives. They grew up with it. For every movie that come out they aged a year too.

What can I say, we are the Harry Potter Generation.

Loved the title :) lol that's spot on for me!

I'm 20 (soon 21), and yes it has definitely been a HUGE part of my life.

But I think, like Jo Rowling said at the London Premiere, I had my fair share of mourning 3 years ago when I read the last book...

Obviously I will be sad, no doubt that I'm going to literally cry my eyes out on the last film, after all it is the end of a huge chapter of my life and a chapter I love dearly, but there's nothing stopping me from re-watching the movies (and God knows I've watched them like a thousand times already lol) or from re-reading the books, so that's sort of my comfort I guess.

I will keep track on the trio of course, I can't wait to see what they're going to do next, and hopefully it will be the start of a new wonderful chapter of everyone's lives ^_^

But I think, like Jo Rowling said at the London Premiere, I had my fair share of mourning 3 years ago when I read the last book...

Obviously I will be sad, no doubt that I'm going to literally cry my eyes out on the last film, after all it is the end of a huge chapter of my life and a chapter I love dearly, but there's nothing stopping me from re-watching the movies (and God knows I've watched them like a thousand times already lol) or from re-reading the books, so that's sort of my comfort I guess.

I will keep track on the trio of course, I can't wait to see what they're going to do next, and hopefully it will be the start of a new wonderful chapter of everyone's lives ^_^

I'll second that.

• 4 weeks later...

While I do not like the fact that there won't be any more films, my obsession with the series was more about the books. I first read Philosopher's Stone in 1999, shortly after it had been published in Germany when the frenzy wasn't nearly as big as it is today. A friend of my parents had told my mother about this great book she had to read... I was 12 back then. When it was being discussed in the media that there would be films I didn't want to watch them at first, because I feared they would ruin the story. I ended up watching the first film five times in the cinema (I still have the tickets for proof :P).

When the final book was being published, I felt torn: While I didn't like the fact that there wouldn't be any more books, I was also glad that we would finally know the ending. I guess I'll feel the same in July this year.

I can't even beginn to tell how much Harry Potter influenced my life. My thirst to read the books in the original publishing language made me want to get better in English, and I did that. I started as one of the worst students in my English class and ended up gaining top marks in achievement class. I also took the language as my main subject in my Abitur (A-levels). Because of this I didn't have any problems to get into my dream subject at my current university - they had good knowledge of English as a requirement for all applicants, and a way to prove them were the school certificates. I'm sure my life would be different in some way if it hadn't been for Jo Rowling and her books.

I'll always rememer the series as a wonderful part of my youth, and no new series that might come up will change that.

Edited by HermioneP.

I had my post-Potter depression after I finished reading the seventh book! So been there done that.

Haven't even thought about how I'd feel after the last movie, actually not too bad. As some of you pointed out, it's time to see something different from the trio!

• 5 months later...

Well I know I'll be sad that the anxiety of it all will be gone but it's not the end. I'll still read the books, watch the movies and pretend to have magic powers. I'm also excited to see what else Emma, Dan, Rupert and the others have in store for their fans. I'm really excited to see Emma in Perks of Being a Wallflower! However, I will forever hold the Potter memories and will continue to share my Potter obsession with all my friends.

oh my goodness i know what you mean, i mean i was depressed when the books were over but now the movies will be too

and it feels like no one understands they think its just a phase but i've been with harry from the begining i grew up with it and as silly as it may sound to ppl it changed my life. i dont know what i would do with out it but im thankful it was there and i was apart of it

also i remember that feeling everytime i read a charaacter that died, it felt like i knew them

Edited by Rena

It's not like the books and movies are going to disappear...the overall excitement of wanting to read a new book in the series or see the new released movie will end but Harry Potter never will. I'm just trying to be positive.