The Emma-Watson.net Forum

The Ron and Hermione Thread

I've seen the movie twice now and I have two primary feelings about the movie and the Ron/Hermione realtionship in general.

First off, it kind of fit with my expectations considering what we've seen in the past throughout the series of movies and it (the movie itself) was far truer to the books than HBP was. Now everything is relative of course so take that for what it's worth

Secondly, I just think it's not fair to compare the movie to the books even though it is inevitable. We're talking about a classic story here of epic proportions, the past movies have never achieved that same level and the current one didn't either.

I really enjoyed the film, but I enjoyed it as something seperate (in a way) from the story I've come to love. I really believe I watch the films from more of a Rupert/Emma perspective than Ron/Hermione perspective now. I'm sorry to bring that up in the R/Hr thread (as that's sure to bother some) but it's the way I see the films now.

I'll get more in depth regarding the many wonderful things people have been writing here both for/against the representation of particular parts of the book and how those parts were translated to the movie, when I have a bit more time. :)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen the movie twice now and I have two primary feelings about the movie and the Ron/Hermione realtionship in general.

First off, it kind of fit with my expectations considering what we've seen in the past throughout the series of movies and it (the movie itself) was far truer to the books than HBP was. Now everything is relative of course so take that for what it's worth

Secondly, I just think it's not fair to compare the movie to the books even though it is inevitable. We're talking about a classic story here of epic proportions, the past movies have never achieved that same level and the current one didn't either.

I really enjoyed the film, but I enjoyed it as something seperate (in a way) from the story I've come to love. I really believe I watch the films from more of a Rupert/Emma perspective than Ron/Hermione perspective now. I'm sorry to bring that up in the R/Hr thread (as that's sure to bother some) but it's the way I see the films now.

I'll get more in depth regarding the many wonderful things people have been writing here both for/against the representation of particular parts of the book and how those parts were translated to the movie, when I have a bit more time. :)

I seen it 5 and every time my opinion changes ahaha. >.<

LOL!!! "Hermione" we are TIED :) I saw #5 showing yesterday at IMAX- I cant get enough of R/Hr and R/E in this- it was THEIR movie- I was just freakin stoked to see our R/Hr relationship/chemistry of R/E so much more in this one. Also thanks "Hermione" for agreeing w. me about the whole movie- yea I know there were some things that could have been changed- vida and galadriel- SO ITA with yall about Silver Doe and R/H-he could have said SOMETHING to Ron to show he cared ya know? I felt Harry was just cold-like he still had the locket on. As for the Hermione/Ron return- CLASSIC- was the perfect amount of anger-Hermione pushing him. throwing leaves (I love how she improvises-was looking to throw ANYTHING at Ron LOL) and then realizes oh the rucksack and then ahh my wand! ;) Emma was AWESOME there and Rupert was AWESOME there for his reaction to her-plus his speech sigh... everything in here about R/Hr was PERFECT- I plan on seeing it at least (I know cue "you are sick cbmac" LOL) another 2-3 times. The family wants to see it again ;) That will be their 3rd/4th showing for some ;) LOL

LOL!!! "Hermione" we are TIED :) I saw #5 showing yesterday at IMAX- I cant get enough of R/Hr and R/E in this- it was THEIR movie- I was just freakin stoked to see our R/Hr relationship/chemistry of R/E so much more in this one. Also thanks "Hermione" for agreeing w. me about the whole movie- yea I know there were some things that could have been changed- vida and galadriel- SO ITA with yall about Silver Doe and R/H-he could have said SOMETHING to Ron to show he cared ya know? I felt Harry was just cold-like he still had the locket on. As for the Hermione/Ron return- CLASSIC- was the perfect amount of anger-Hermione pushing him. throwing leaves (I love how she improvises-was looking to throw ANYTHING at Ron LOL) and then realizes oh the rucksack and then ahh my wand! ;) Emma was AWESOME there and Rupert was AWESOME there for his reaction to her-plus his speech sigh... everything in here about R/Hr was PERFECT- I plan on seeing it at least (I know cue "you are sick cbmac" LOL) another 2-3 times. The family wants to see it again ;) That will be their 3rd/4th showing for some ;) LOL

Wow you are so lucky!!! :o I had to see it alone (I saw it once), but I enjoyed it!!! Maybe in two weeks I'm going to see it for the second time. :)

Jon, it seems unfair to just quote this little bit as I am mainly in agreement with everything else you have just said.

I guess the real problem for me is when things get so deviated from the books that at times it looks like we are watching a completely different story.

I know what I am going to say is not R/Hr related, so maybe I should post it in the DH thread instead, but I'd really appreciate my fellow shippers input about this:

While I enjoyed The Seven Potters a lot, and the transformation was amazing, two things failed for me.

The least important one is when Ron returns and Hermione (with Harry in tow) runs to him. It looks like little to no time at all has passed since both H/Hr arrived, so their worries for Ron looked unfounded in the movie - and to everyone who hasn't read the book.

However, the main flaw for me is actually something that becomes very important in the end, so I don't understand why it was ommited in the first place: In the book, Voldemort realised the real Harry was the one travelling with Hagrid because he casted the 'Expelliarmus' spell.

I think that was VERY IMPORTANT as, in the end, Harry defeats Voldemort with THAT VERY SAME SPELL.

I don't quite understand how the consistency of the story will follow now, with such a crutial detail left out.

Is Harry instead going to cast the 'Avada Kedavra' against Voldemort and therefore become a criminal??? I cringe at the thought... <_<

Although I agree with Jon that DH was far better than HBP, I think too many liberties have been taken again for me to like this version, unfortunately. :(

The least important one is when Ron returns and Hermione (with Harry in tow) runs to him. It looks like little to no time at all has passed since both H/Hr arrived, so their worries for Ron looked unfounded in the movie - and to everyone who hasn't read the book.

However, the main flaw for me is actually something that becomes very important in the end, so I don't understand why it was ommited in the first place: In the book, Voldemort realised the real Harry was the one travelling with Hagrid because he casted the 'Expelliarmus' spell.

I think that was VERY IMPORTANT as, in the end, Harry defeats Voldemort with THAT VERY SAME SPELL.

I don't quite understand how the consistency of the story will follow now, with such a crutial detail left out.

Is Harry instead going to cast the 'Avada Kedavra' against Voldemort and therefore become a criminal??? I cringe at the thought... <_<

Although I agree with Jon that DH was far better than HBP, I think too many liberties have been taken again for me to like this version, unfortunately. :(

A number of the flaws that you've pointed out are very fair vida and your overall assessment of the movie is something I have no problem with, as I think it's great that some here are not content to tow the line of praising the movie just for the sake of the critical praise it has recieved in most circles.

That said, I'll say this... I think there is an inherent difficulty in watching film adaptations of books after you've read the book. That doesn't excuse the directorial decisions or omissions that have been made per se, but I think on some level we do the films a bit of a disservice by holding them to the standard of the books. The way I look at it is, if the movies do anything to bring the HP fan to the books than they have been a success. The movies actaully did that for me, as I had seen the first four before I read any of the books. I have not enjoyed any of the movies I saw after I read the books as I did the ones I saw prior to reading the books. I doubt that I'll ever enjoy any remakes as much and will find many flaws in those as well.

Again, I'm sorry this doesn't really address a lot of the things that bothered me, or that I liked, but I just wanted to give a quick response before I had time to sit down and give a lengthy account of my opinions. What I've expressed here, is just something I use to create perspective for myself regarding my own criticisms.

oh by the way ive just remembered one of my favourite lines from DH movie..

'i think thats why dumbledore left me the deluminator - i think that he knew that someday i'd need to find my way back, and that she'd lead me'

<33333

'i think thats why dumbledore left me the deluminator - i think that he knew that someday i'd need to find my way back, and that she'd lead me'

<33333

I loved him when he said that. When he was telling the story I was shouting KISS HIM! hahaha >.< I knew she wouldn't I read the book. :P But I agree, this movie is their movie.

It didn't bother me. Sure, I would have loved it,  had they taken a bit more time to wait, but I think their worry comes across as very much founded nonetheless. George had just returned severely injured after all. 

[

Is Harry instead going to cast the 'Avada Kedavra' against Voldemort and therefore become a criminal??? I cringe at the thought...  

I have a hunch they are going to change the final duel to make it look more spectacular.  But if they use the Expelliarmus they don't need to show Harry using it at the beginning of DH1. They need to introduce it as Harry's signature spell sometime in DH2. Thus, it will be fresh on the minds of the non-reading audience and the casual reading viewers. I quite liked them using Hedwig that way. The DEs and Voldemort knew who the real Harry was, because Hedwig defended him. She got her deserved hero's ending this way. Oh, Hedwig.    :sob:

I loved him when he said that. When he was telling the story I was shouting KISS HIM! hahaha >.< I knew she wouldn't I read the book. :P But I agree, this movie is their movie.

oh my god yeah i remember the camera switching between Ron and hermione a lot in that scene and the way she's looking at him.

GAH. I CANT WAIT FOR PART 2!!!!

I think Rupert's acting in the Silver Doe scene saved that scene for me. I was disapointed by Hermione's reaction to Ron a bit. We saw pretty much the extent of her reaction in the previews and she should have softened a little during Ron's amazing speech to her, telling her about how the deluminator entered his chest right at his heart.

I agree though Laura (oh and welcome back btw :) ), that was a very lovely R/Hr moment.

I will have to see the movie again, and I wonder if I'll feel differently when I see it on video too. *shrugs*

I was very disapointed by Ron's reaction in the Malfoy Manner scene when he was in the dungeon at least. There is no reason why they couldn't have had him scream for Hermione while she was being tortured - a moment which was poignantly and painfully expressed by the acting of Emma and Helen BC.

I think Rupert's acting in the Silver Doe scene saved that scene for me. I was disapointed by Hermione's reaction to Ron a bit. We saw pretty much the extent of her reaction in the previews and she should have softened a little during Ron's amazing speech to her, telling her about how the deluminator entered his chest right at his heart.

I agree though Laura (oh and welcome back btw :) ), that was a very lovely R/Hr moment.

I will have to see the movie again, and I wonder if I'll feel differently when I see it on video too. *shrugs*

I was very disapointed by Ron's reaction in the Malfoy Manner scene when he was in the dungeon at least. There is no reason why they couldn't have had him scream for Hermione while she was being tortured - a moment which was poignantly and painfully expressed by the acting of Emma and Helen BC.

You critasize to much. You verlook things. I thought those scene's were awsome. At first he shouted then realised it was pointless. Not to mention his pained face when she was screaming and the fact of him telling pettigrew to let her go and running up to her.

You critasize to much. You verlook things. I thought those scene's were awsome. At first he shouted then realised it was pointless. Not to mention his pained face when she was screaming and the fact of him telling pettigrew to let her go and running up to her.

Overly critical? Perhaps. I've always been a bit of a nit-picker when it comes to these things. I still enjoyed the movie, but just the same, I won't apologize for my critisms, it's who I am for better or worse. :P

I thought the part where he ran to her at the end was great, I just don't understand why certain little things that wouldn't have taken any more time, were not included to jive with some of the more memorable aspects of the R/Hr relationship as I came to appreciate it in the books.

I agree Galadriel. They can always include the 'Expelliarmus' during Part II. I just don't get why it was ommited in the first place while it would have been more logical and relevant to the story to include it.

I did NOT like that Hedwig was blamed for giving Harry away, though.

I promised cbmac that I would also post what I liked about DH. So here I go. :)

First and foremost, Rupert's characterisation of Ron. He was just SO spot on. He gave me book!Ron in a movie that not necessarily followed the book at crucial points imo.

His speech when he returns is absolutely beautiful and close to the book.

The only downside for him was MM, but I don't think it was Rupert's fault at all that he didn't cry. I just think that the powers that be decided Ron already had more than enough screentime and decided to keep him quiet while Hermione was being tortured.

I LOVED the almost-handholding scene while they were asleep. And I was surprised that it was actually zoomed in to really show that little gesture between them. It was not in the background, and quickly forgotten by everyone who is not a R/Hr.

That little moment took central stage, and I'm really grateful for it.

I liked how much praise Hermione got from Ron all throughout the movie. He keeps complimenting her on her brilliance in the books and I'm glad this time around that fact took a more prominent role.

I 'enjoyed' (for a lack of a more appropiate term, of course, given the situation) Emma's characterisation while being tortured. She absolutely nailed the scene and, when I saw her crying, that was the one and only time I teared up a bit. Her anguish was just so real...

Again, i guess the downside was that because we didn't have Ron screaming his lungs out for Hermione, unfortunately we were deprived of another wonderful R/Hr moment as she couldn't tell him his screams for her were actually what helped her get through at that time.

But anyway... from the moment she's set free it was all a R/Hr lovefest, right up to the end.

Overall I think that at least R/Hr's relationship had some development,

<33333

Awwwwww :wub: I loved Ron's speach!!! It was one of the best scenes in the movie, and Rupert's acting was flawless!!

Awwwwww :wub: I loved Ron's speach!!! It was one of the best scenes in the movie, and Rupert's acting was flawless!!

One of the best Luciana? To me the speech was probably the best scene of the movie! :P

On Edit: And I hope I didn't imply that Ron not crying out for Hermione was in any way Rupert's fault, as I agree that it was a directorial decision that edited that moment.

I hate agreeing with you all the time vida, but you are right about the Emma moment too. Her acting during the torture scene was amazing, and her best moment of the entire series perhaps IMO.

you hate agreeing with me, Jon? :puh:

:o but...but... I didn't mean it that way! :sob:

I just meant, ALL THE TIME... you know.. I'd like to be able to challenge something you say every once in a while so I don't come off as a pedant,without an original thought or idea of my own , but I always read your insights and agree with them! :o:(

Ahh my lovely book purists- I love ya guys!!! :) For me this whole movie was a R/Hr lovefest/wohoo arent we lucky to have them in this together movie-hey I cant think of another word-- ok here: :excited::ohyeah::wub:

Ok again my take about Hermione's reaction to Ron when he came back- SPOT ON-Emma didnt overdo it and didnt downplay it either- she was ANGRY and had every right to be-pushing him, throwing leaves at him (this just makes me laugh-like what can I throw at you that is at my disposal! LOL), the rucksack-to which poor Ron is like what? LOL...the best was her "you've been gone for weeks and all you can say is "hey" LOL!!!! I loved her delivery of that line ;) But for me, and maybe I am seeing it differently than others- her look in her eyes/facial expressions when he is saying his speech (LOVE RON!!!!! GO RUPERT!!!)-she was just staring at him, not looking away, not TALKING/INTERRUPTING- again Hermione LOVES to talk, always be the right one-she doesnt-she shows Ron w. that look the entire time, the breathing slowing down, the not interrupting/accusing, that she loves him but isnt quite ready to forgive him. R/E OWNED that scene!!

Malfoy Manor- I think we needed to see in control Ron, keeping his calm like we do with Hermione when he is splinched. I prefer his "LET HER GO" in that growl and the fact that when he is taken from her, he is trying to get back to her, that look-omg Rupert's eyes just said it all :( Emma's performance in the torture- PROPS to our girl AND Rupert our man-the look of love between the 2 of them when he comes to her rescue and his "LIKE HELL"-I will save my girl!!!! THIS is what I wanted to see. I wasnt expecting that silent dialogue of R/Hr with their eyes to each other when she is lying on the ground-again she is saying w/ those eyes to Ron "goodbye my love" :( The look he gives her back is "dont you dare quit"-this to me was the most unbelievable moment between R/Hr-this is where people had to finally say "YESSSSS RON AND HERMIONE END UP TOGETHER" for those who were too dense to see it throughout the whole movie LOL But that one scene with no speaking were the most brilliantly acted by R/E and just really shows how ridiculously crazy strong and beautiful their chemistry is with each other.

So for me, this was R/HR GOODNESS-the best movie of all for them-best movie period.

Vida- you rock :) Way to pick those awesome moments-awesome moments they were.

I think this is the downside of being a book purist for people-you know that scenes wont be like the book which does suck. That's why I think we should take the awesome moments we have in this w/ R/E R/Hr and say WOHOO!!!!!!! But with that said, I dont want to take away from those here who were disappointed because if looking at it just from a book fan's POV it would stink to see scenes downplayed.

Kristen, I have to give it to you for your interpriatations and for your attention to detail in the acting. I love your optimism and unbridled love for the ship! I'll have to watch the movie again and try to take note of those things you said to know whether or not I completely agree with them myself. You must be a great teacher with that kind of attitude and perspective; your kids are a lucky bunch!

I'm not yet ready to completely throw in my skepticism (God I miss Prima here, and how she could sometimes provide that different if not always comfortable side of the argument) in regards to the Ron/Hermione portrayl and even more so the Ron/Harry portrayl, which is very important to me and perhaps still has not been done justice. That said, this is half the movie we have seen too, so it may be better judged when seeing the film as a whole (Parts 1 and 2) as Sabine so rightly pointed out in some of her comments regarding certain concerns/criticisms.

So what are the chances that they will show Part One prior to Part two as a double feature when Part 2 comes out in theatres?

I think that would be so cool! To watch them back to back in the theatre. :yesyes::ohyeah:

i like your point of view on the MM scene Kristen.

whatever happened to our plan to break into the WB HQ to see the footage ofthe kiss? lol!

I think there was a rat amongst our members (a Death Eater using polyjuice potion perhaps) because the plan fell through! :o

Laura... what was the song that Alex suggested we play while we infultrated the WB compound? *sorry I just had to make sure and check that you are who you said you are!* :o

Laura, we absolutely need to break into WB and steal the R/Hr kissing scene and, if it doesn't live up to our expectations, we should DEMAND that R/E re-shoot it! :yesyes:

I'm a bit concerned now, after the epic fail of some crucial moments that are so dear to me.

I love your enthusiasm, cbmac. And I truly wish I could be as optimistic as you are.

I enjoyed the movie - to a certain extent. I am trying to take it for its real value, though.

Jon, I like your idea of the back-to-back movies. I think WB really needs to do that.

:o but...but... I didn't mean it that way! :sob:

I just meant, ALL THE TIME... you know.. I'd like to be able to challenge something you say every once in a while so I don't come off as a pedant,without an original thought or idea of my own , but I always read your insights and agree with them! :o:(

Well, you did say 'great minds think alike', didn't you? B):D