The Emma-Watson.net Forum

The Ron and Hermione Thread

Sorry for the double post.  Perhaps it's me who sees Hermione as perfect?  I do not think I should necessarily attribute that to Ron.

Maybe part of what Hermione fell in love with when it came to Ron was that he challenged her?   Perhaps secretly he thought of her as perfect, but openly he didn't treat her as such.  Sometimes his inner thoughts would slip out when he marveled at her, but could it be that he helped her realize that she could be overly prideful sometimes????  Maybe the genesis of some of their arguments could be attributed to more than just jealousy and came about in part because Ron caused Hermione to be more reflective of her own character?  Might Hermione have desired to BE perfect?  Did Ron make her realize that she could never be perfect?  Is it possible that his bringing about that realization could contribute to both their arguments and their love at the same time?  (Gosh, I must be the first person who needs a psychiatrist to figure out fictional characters in a book >.<)

Idk, I could go on forever guessing.  I'll shut up now and let the smart people talk. :doh:

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the amazing posts here I just wanted to say: Reading your insights and understanding of  the dept of the series and of my favorite couple and I must add the love of Ron makes me feel like this is my favourite thread on an any forum.

Ohhhh... Jon....jon, jon I love your thoughts....omg I cant even tell you where to begin...first Trixie-AGREE-I hate Ron bashers, as well as Hermione bashers. But it seems there more Ron bashers *maybe because those people are pissed off that he got the girl (HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  to them all-Hermione didnt want the hero, she had her hero/knight since the start-who happened to be a cute ginger ;)).

Ok Jon, to you....the way you describe Ron and Harry's relationship/friendship is so poetic. Ron may have had all those brothers and loved every single one dearly, but Harry was Ron's brother who he got along with the best (IMO). They were around the same age, both had insecurities, both didnt study hard LOL, both were courageous. But for me I feel that Ron was courageous in the sense that he did it for people he loved and was loyal to. Harry did it because well it was his task. Look at Malfoy for example. Harry was willing to help Malfoy, see his safe in the Fiendfyre. Ron was going to leave him and his cronies there-for one thing, his one cronie freakin tried to kill Hermione. Harry wanted to save everyone. Whereas Ron just the people he loved. He would have KILLED for Hermione-the true love of his life without a second thought. Back to Harry-I think it was very admirable of him wanting to save everyone.

As for Harry, Ron, and Hermione...from a girl's POV, Hermione definitely had her flaws. She could be rather demanding, too serious, jealous, and intense. But despite these flaws, Ron loved her all the more. Yes Ron was the ONLY one who could stand up to Hermione-this was why Hermione would eventually back off their rows. Hermione adrmired and loved that about Ron-his passion to be with her, argue with her fueled this UST from a rather early age. But notice too, Hermione respected Ron's opinions and Ron respected Hermione's opinions. I get the sense with Harry, he didnt always listen to Hermione or pay attention to her. But Ron did. Even when Hermione didnt think he did. 2 case in points: Ron noticed ALL the time when Hermione showed up in PoA-he was the one who always called it out her appearing out of nowhere. Of course: ROOM OF REQUIREMENT-"you said that last year"..."That's right, I did"...the look on Hermione's face in DH 2 in that scene-I honestly thought she was going to pounce on him and kiss the hell out of him again. When she realizes he DOES pay attention (like we knew always), you see the love for him burn even stronger at that moment.

So yeah I love R/Hr because they are beautiful together but also because they complete each other. Harry and Hermione would have competed with each other whereas R/Hr complete each other in a way that no one else would have.

Oooh lots of posts!

Apologies Kristen, I meant to reply to your earlier post a few days ago, but did that thing where I read it, thought 'I'll reply to that later when I have more time' and then forgot when I saw no new posts in this thread. I thought it was a bit quiet :P

And now I'm probably going to do the same thing... there are some lovely posts here, and I want to reply to them properly when I have more time in a couple of days. If you don't hear from me for a few weeks, someone remind me :P

Trixie, I totally agree. I love the rejuvenation of this thread, it makes me happy. :)

ROFL!!!!! DW!!! :-) Katharine, no worries ;) Just reply when ya can...we have the R/Hr thread and R/E thread going again with the new addition of Grintsonforver :) Look forward to your awesome insights when you can!!!

I completely agree with the difference that you pointed out between Harry and Ron, Kristin! They both were willing to sacrifice themselves to help others albeit in different ways.  The great thing about both of those differing views is that either act (sacrifcing for a loved one or sacrificing for the greater good of human/muggle/witch/wizard/houseelf kind) have a nobility, a legitimacy and a bravery. I don't think one is right or one is wrong, or one is better than the other in any way.  Gee how did these two ever get into Gryffindor? ;)

Thank you too for your answer to my question about Hermione, Kristin.  You are so right about some of the areas in which she could improve.  Sometimes it's not JUST about the "intention".  Perhaps I viewed Hermione as near perfect because she had good intentions.  The way we deliver a message is often as important as the message itself.  We shouldn't come off as sanctimonious or all-knowing.  While the point we are making might be right, delivering it in the wrong way can make people turn from us and turn from what is right.  The books often gave the sense that Harry would have been okay from turning away from Hermione at times.  Not completely, but when alone with Hermione Harry often wished Ron were there too.  Ron wouldn't turn from Hermione when she could act like that.  He would call her out.  Harry didn't have the desire to really call out Hermione that way. Ron also always challenged Hermione to her face.  Others would challenge Hermione behind her back (but in those cases it was less of a challenge per se and more for point of picking on her).  When that happened Ron would jump to her defense in a heart beat. 

I get the idea that Hermione learned a lot from Ron in her "quiet time" away from the boys when she had the chance to think about the things that Ron would say to her.  Of course, she was always a quick study too,  so what-ever early social awkwardness she presented went away quickly after those early challenges from Ron.  Harry sometimes blocked Hermione out or didn't listen, but Ron, even when they argued as kids still listened to her and payed attention to her.  Learning from one another and listening to one another was mutual for Ron and Hermione.  It started with Wingardium Levioso and ended (in the book sense.. but carried on of course afterwards) with the importance of saving the House Elves at Hogwarts.

Katharine, not to give you more work, but you also have to answer my Hermione question.  I know Kristin did it wonderfully, but I require affirmation.  Oh... and HOW DARE YOU have more important things than discussing Ron and Hermione this very instant. :puh:  Someone needs to adjust their priorities here! :rolleye:

I'm not gonna say who though. :doh:

Oh btw... thank you for that compliment to this thread Trixie!  That's quite an honor we all carry here as there are so many options and places for someone to spend their time on the internet. I totally agree too... this thread is the reason I joined this site, it's not the only reason I stay, but it's part of that.  I love the discussion, and I continue to learn new things and get new insights into the HP characters that I never had before thanks to the members here.

ROFL!!!  "she needs to sort out her priorities" ;)

Jon everything you said was so spot on...Ron truly was the main one who listened to Hermione-yeah he could get annoyed with her just she got with him at times, but they also respected each other. I just really did get the feeling that SOMETIMES Harry didnt always respect Hermione. I mean book and movie versions. He seemed to always be thinking of other things, just not paying attention to her.

Jon, ITA about Harry and Ron-the way the boys would sacrifice didnt make one better over the other...in my eyes BOTH Ron and Harry were the heroes while Hermione was the heroine.

ROFL!!!  "she needs to sort out her priorities" ;)

Jon everything you said was so spot on...Ron truly was the main one who listened to Hermione-yeah he could get annoyed with her just she got with him at times, but they also respected each other. I just really did get the feeling that SOMETIMES Harry didnt always respect Hermione. I mean book and movie versions. He seemed to always be thinking of other things, just not paying attention to her.

Jon, ITA about Harry and Ron-the way the boys would sacrifice didnt make one better over the other...in my eyes BOTH Ron and Harry were the heroes while Hermione was the heroine.

:o  "she needs to sort out her priorities"  Is that YOUR quote Kristin?  I'm just asking because my actual quote was somewhat non-commital as to who I might be reffering to. :P

DW ^ look Kristin said it... NOT ME!

haha (totally threw the captain under the bus on that one) mutiny plan in motion!  ;)

As far as Harry is concerned Kristin,  I believe he did respect Hermione all the time.  When his mind was on "other things" it was often because of a burning scar on his forehead, which acted as a constant reminder, so it would be tough for me to fault Harry at all for that. 

That said, there IS a difference between how he treated Ron and Hermione.  So while I believe Harry was always respectful of Hermione, I think it's more than fair to question that (relative to how he treated Ron)  *mind you this is book Harry not movie Harry, I think you could almost reverse things for movie Harry*.  I think too that part of why Harry might have ignored Hermione a bit is because Ron was FUN to be around, and Hermione wasn't always FUN to be around.  With so many weighty issues to address, Harry needed a break from thought and contemplation and his conscience.  He didn't need Hermione to be a conscience for him even though her intentions were good.  Ron is the guy you joke with in the break room at work.  Hermione is the person who discusses the last meeting and its implications in the break room at work.  >.<

Heck yeah!! SORT OUT PRIORITIES like Ron tells Harry about Hermione ;) heehee

I get it...fun Ron for work Harry LOL...But like we said another huge reason Hermione belongs with Ron-HE MAKES HER LAUGH ;)

This picture said it all for me in DH and the love Ron and Hermione have for each other....she moved immediately into Ron's arms...he was the ONLY one who stood by as the chandelier was dropping, even moving towards it not caring about the chandelier hurting him. All that mattered to him was getting his girl to safety...this pic is beautiful...we see Hermione clearly hurt and in pain yet also gripping tightly to the love of her life. We see Ron looking like he will kill, yes kill anyone who even THINKS of touching his Hermione again.

Hey Emmafan456...I know aren't they?!!!! :-) :-) :-)

Trixie, it is my favorite pic of R/Hr of all time...I have that as a poster in my room at home-LOVE IT!!!!! ;-)

But then again....picspam time ;)

All of these ROCK (courtesy of bloody brilliant's tumblr)

Yall I HAD to post this...this was from 16 cupcake tumblr....this comment just OMG says it all....

I want to cry whenever I watch the scene in DH1 when Hermione was being tortured, and then Ron yells “like hell†and in that moment he doesn’t care that anybody could just go and Avada Kedavra him he doesn’t care that Bellatrix is mental and could end his life with a flick of her wand because it’s the love of his life who is in danger so he runs out and does what he can to try to get to her and he is so focused on Hermione that in that split second that Bellatrix lets her go he runs for Hermione and holds her in his arms and I can feel the desperation of his body wanting to be near her and for her to just be wrapped up and safe in his arms and he refuses to let her go he won’t let her go for anything because he loves her so much he knows he almost lost her he almost lost the one person who scolds him when he doesn’t study but helps him in every way she can and he doesn’t know things but he’s willing to learn because it’s Hermione who’s teaching him the one person he knows will guide him through everything and who’s helped him become a better person he knows he can’t possibly live without her he loves her soooo much like omg I can’t RN my Romione feels I can’t omg

That's EXACTLY what I was feeling when Ron rescues his Hermione....I am not saying Harry was wrong for not having gone to help but it just shows that Ron was willing to leave Harry to go and save his girl....his own life be not important. I LOVE RON WEASLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So does Hermione ;)

Luciana!!! Welcome back amiga!!! :-) How are yas!!!!

Agree they were sooooo little...even in PoA which I saw the other day on cable too-still little so to speak.

I was watching the last one the other day--SIGH I MISS OUR ROMIONE SO MUCH!!!!! :-)

They're just so perfect together. :wub:    THIS. What you just said chosenone14 ;) Couldn't agree with ya more...But I have always been obsessed with Romione ;) LOL...RON AND HERMIONE WEASLEY ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wub:

:o  :o  :o  LOOK AT THE PRETTY! :wub:

Welcome chosenone14! (and yes I did feel a bit like You-Know-Who saying that out loud. :P  And welcome back Luciana, it's good to see you around again!

Sorry it's taken a while, and the conversation appears to have moved on... as you guys said, I need to sort out my priorities! I can't even begin to respond to all the amazing posts in here (Kristen and Jon, I heartily agree with pretty much everything you've both said), but Jon asked me to respond to his post, so I shall. So I'm now going to be that annoying person and revert back to a bit of previous conversation. Throw dungbombs at will. Or throw them at Jon, he wanted my response. :P

I'm intrigued at the notion of Hermione being 'perfect', for I have never thought her so. Perhaps it is because I am female, and she is the character I identify with possibly the most. I wonder, with the Ron/Harry and obviously Ron/Hermione conversations being prevalent in these threads, whether Hermione's character has been a little under-discussed in terms of her relationship with Harry, aside from where shipping is concerned. I do sometimes feel that, much like Ron's character and relationship with Harry has suffered in the past at the hands of certain H/Hr supporters, Harry and Hermione's relationship has been undervalued or overlooked by some R/Hr shippers, which is a great shame.

For me, Hermione's flaws are easy to point out, perhaps because they are easily pointed out by Harry. It is clear he finds her annoying, in the beginning she is a 'know it all' and carries a degree of social awkwardness throughout the series, not knowing when to stop pestering Harry. for example. Hermione in a way gives off a sense of not knowing social boundaries quite as well as others, which can lead to her saying the wrong things. I wonder if this could be linked to an earlier topic about her being an only child - perhaps a lack of social interaction when she was younger made her more awkward? Saying it like that makes it sound harsher than I mean it, I think. It is certainly clear that Hermione's intentions are good, she just doesn't always go about things in the right way. She's also not exactly 'mellow' - she isn't afraid to snap at people (and not just Ron, I seem to remember an instance with Ginny too). Hermione has a strong will and does what she thinks is right, which can be an admirable quality but not without fault - she's stubborn and likes to get her own way, and it's usually Ron who challenges her to make a compromise. I agree with you guys completely about the way Ron and Hermione challenge eachother. They learn from each other and never accept less than the best from one another. Hermione forces Ron to stand up and be his own, strong person. Ron forces Hermione to accept another viewpoint.

Thank you for raising the point about Hermione's selflessness, Jon. I've never really considered it before, but I believe you're right. Perhaps due to her logical mind and common sense, Hermione is possibly Harry's most reliable friend, always focusing on the bigger picture and the task ahead. Not once in my recollection does she sway from the task of helping Harry (if I am wrong and have missed something, please correct me). She followed her head when Ron left, as she followed her head through pretty much everything. Had Hermione been a less rational person maybe she would have taken a different approach, but her rationality allowed her to see the right thing to do and stick to it. As admirable as this was though (and I love Hermione for it), Hermione also learned to follow her heart more when she needed to, just as she taught Ron how to use his head (thinking of the house elves, for example), he taught her how to use her heart - in the Chamber of Secrets, in the middle of a war, with Harry watching, she didn't think twice about kissing Ron. Because her heart told her too. That scene is really the culmination of everything the two of them taught each other, which finally brought them together. :wub:

pic spam... Pfft!  :puh: 

how girly!!! :tongue0020:

*peeks*  *drools* :drool:  >.<

welcome chosenone14 :)

Katharine: *dodges dung bombs*  one of the great things about discussing character "flaws" for the trio in the HP series is that it kind of seems like nit-picking, but even in doing so, all of the trio made progress and grew as people, learning from one another.  I really appreciate your and Kristin's analysis' of Hermione.  I don't know if it's inherent to guys... or just me, but sometimes I can "idealize" a bit when it comes to women.  >.<  pfft!!!  Even as an adult! :o  Though hopefully I've made progress on that. :P  (enough about me though.. haha).  Indeed, Hermione like all of us had areas that she could grow, within the framework of her personality.  I add that last part because I think it's important.  As every one is unique no two people are likely to see eye to eye on everything, which could lend to anyone of us being somewhat critical of someone else.  In that criticism I think it's important to remember that "different" doesn't mean "bad" or "worse than", it's just an opposing view of the world that is natural to our uniqueness.

Let me save this one quickly before I step in hole *dig, dig, dig*.  Ha ha... I didn't ask people to criticize Hermione just to be critical of the criticizing.  LOL  One thing I truly believe in in life is balance.  So it is completely fair to be critical of the balance that someone shows in a given area of their personality.  Esp. in literature (haha)... as things are always more complex with criticisms of real life people. ;)  (I would not advise this same in depth personality analysis of any of our forum members... ROFL)

The analysis you young ladies provided helped me to realize that Hermione definitely lacked balance in certain social situations and in her temperament at times.  Ron helped Hermione a lot socially.  She was so in tuned to what he thought and felt that when she would over step her bounds he would let her know.  Not always in the best way mind you... :P.  But in doing so he also showed how closely he paid attention to her.  When Hermione was around Harry, if she said something that bugged him, it would sit with him, but he would most often just let it go.  Hermione realized that Ron was the boy who made her grow as a person and mature in areas where she needed more balance.

I'm not sure I can make an argument for Ron helping Hermione with her temperment. :unsure: That said, I THINK a lot of the tension and arguments that Ron and Hermione had came out of wanting to be with eachother... and not being with one another.  Once they got together, and in their married life, I think a lot of the passion and energy they exerted in the arguments they had when they were not a couple was probably realeased in more ummm... how to put this????? Amorous outlets?

Sometimes I am a bit disturbed at the degree to which I try and delve into the personalities of fictional characters (not to mention my real life >.< omg) so thank you Kristin and Katharine for indulging me and giving thoughtful and insightful responses to my question concerning Hermione. :yesyes:  *insert old applause smiley*   This is what I love about this forum though.  The fact that you all make me comfortable enough to indulge my desire to analyse these things even though I know I walk a thin line between analysis and overanalysis at times. >.<

You guys are awsome! 

Chosenone: They really are my favorite thing in HP too.

Concerning Hermione, I fully agree with everything Kristin and DW.

What would we do w/o tumblr?!  Hottest love story ever indeed !

DW and Jon-just love your thoughts/insights so much!!! I mean for Harry and Hermione-there was simply no love connection/chemistry-this is a relationship I whole heartedly saw from movie 3 that they were more like brother/sister-the big sister who watches over her baby brother (Hermione is about a year older than Harry). She annoyed him at times as much as he annoyed her at times. But Hermione was the "head/brains" of the trio as much as Ron was the "heart" of the trio. Harry truly needed both of them...Hermione was the voice of reason/rationale for Harry while Ron was the fun one who would help him into trouble ;) But I love Ron for that-Harry was always too serious-I think if Harry would have had only Hermione, he wouldn't have had as much fun in life so to speak. Don't get me wrong, Hermione is my hero, I love her character but she was at times always too serious. Ron completely loosened her up and helped show her how to have fun in life. I mean he was a bad influence on her in a good way ;)

I mean just TRULY hottest love story ever!!!!! ;) The other thing I was thinking was this-I know/believe jon/DW/Trixie have said this before but it really is true...I have (shocker) been watching HP weekend on Family (showing SS/PS, GoF, OOTP, HBP, and DH1)...I don't think I truly ever realized this before but Hermione only ever felt hurt or sadness whenever Ron would say something negative...I noticed that when Snape called her know it all, etc, Malfoy called her Mudblood or was plain nasty to her-she never responded. In fact she ignored it. BUT when RON called her nightmare or was mean to her (on rare occasions) she was devastated by it. I mean she loves the guy so much over the years that whenever he did something to hurt her-it HURT her. I am sure others hurt her too but she cared more about Ron's opinion of her because why? She loved him and wanted to be with him for the rest of her life. Now as for Ron-he never wanted to prove much to others-cared less-EXCEPT when it came to Hermione-he wanted to prove to her that he was the guy for her and the right guy for her. WHY? Because again he loved her. He was CRUSHED when he thought Harry was the one she chose. I don't think we have ever seen Ron respond like the way he did with the locket. I just LOVE R/Hr so much...they are not perfect but they are perfect and right for each other. They truly complete each other in so many ways-they are soulmates. I LOVE THEM SO MUCH! :)

ROFL-Jon-I AGREE....these 2 are most likely lil jackrabbits ;)