The Emma-Watson.net Forum

The Ron and Hermione Thread

You ladies mean to tell me that real love isn't the Bella/Edward love of Twilight?  :o

Who wants a Ron/Hermione love?  A love that challenges them and makes them grow as a person!?  PFFT! 

Isn't the Bella/Edward couch potato love so much easier?  Who needs to work on perfection? 

ooorrr... are you ladies suggesting that people and love aren't perfect?  What kind of Bizzaro world are you all living in anyway? 

Oh... just the real world... that's all. >.< :doh:

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.hypable.com/2014/02/01/jk-rowling-ron-hermione-relationship-regret-interview/

The shocking revelation came in the new issue of Wonderland which Watson is a guest editor of this month. The comments were obtained by The Sunday Times.

Rowling says that she should have put Hermione and Harry together in the Harry Potter series instead of Hermione and Ron.

"I wrote the Hermione/Ron relationship as a form of wish fulfillment," she says. "That’s how it was conceived, really. For reasons that have very little to do with literature and far more to do with me clinging to the plot as I first imagined it, Hermione ended up with Ron."

"I know, I’m sorry," she continued, "I can hear the rage and fury it might cause some fans, but if I’m absolutely honest, distance has given me perspective on that. It was a choice I made for very personal reasons, not for reasons of credibility. Am I breaking people’s hearts by saying this? I hope not."

Watson didn’t seem shocked by these comments and agreed with her. "I think there are fans out there who know that too and who wonder whether Ron would have really been able to make her happy."

Rowling also says that Ron and Hermione would have needed "relationship counseling."

We obtained these comments via a preview The Sunday Times posted on Twitter. More may be shared in the full article.

This is the first we’re hearing about Watson interviewing Rowling for Wonderland, and we’ll be sure to keep an eye out for the full interview.

As fans are aware, Ron and Hermione raised two children: Rose and Hugo.

If those quotes are from a reliable source than it still does nothing to change my personal opinion of the Ron and Hermione relationship, and I would respectfully disagree with the counseling comment if that were made. :P

Fans will always have differing opinions and personally I celebrate that.  I've never told a Harry/Hermione shipper that they should be a Ron/Hermione or a Harry/Ginny shipper.  In talking to my own twin brother he actually would have preffered that Harry end up with Hermione. 

Personally part of the big appeal of the Ron/Hermione relationship to me is that the main female figure does not end up with the most "heroic" male figure.   Hermione's decision to be with Ron celebrates her individuality, her discernment of character and her own heroism.  The atypical choice of Ron and Hermione as a couple is part of what sets the HP series apart from a lot of fiction.  The Ron/Hermione relationship is a real choice not a fictional choice.  :) 

I also don't see JKR as worrying about "breaking hearts" really.  She's always seemed to whole-heartedly support the feelings and opions of all HP fans no matter what couples they shipped or might have preferred if they did not choose to call themselves shippers.  I'm not saying she did not make that comment.  Just reading what I have from her in the past, it would seem a bit out of place and inconsistent.

I do not see anything wrong in the interview

First of all where in the interview does JKR say that R/Hr was a mistake?

She just tries to appease the H/Hr shippers out there that she is sorry she didnt put H/Hr together..

Just like how she apolgized for killing Sirius, Lupin and other characters off.. Now does this mean JKR said Killing Sirius was a mistake? No..

HP takes a deviation from the usual cliche of the main female character falling for the hero, which is kind of an obvious thing to happen.

Instead, she chose to bring the hero's 2 best sidekicks together.. It was a gradually deepening relation, not as though it happened all of a sudden out of the blue.

As for JKR talking about relationship counselling, I really dont know whether it is true or not.

This little extract has been released just to create publicity for the upcoming issue of the magazine..

The article has been given this title to boost circulation, I feel.

I agree R/Hr Shipper.  The actual quotes themselves are perfectly understandable.  Both from JKR and from Emma. 

JKR mentioned that the choice of Ron and Hermione was for very personal reasons.  I think it speaks to the popularity of the series that she feels a need to apologize for anything.  Which is absolutely ridiculous in my mind. She shouldn't have to do that.  I hated the decision to kill off Fred and as a twin I mentioned how someone who understood the bond between twins could never have written that into the series.  With that said.  She wrote it.  I didn't.  She made the choices.  I didn't.  I respect the choice she made and would never expect her to change that choice.  But I've always reserved my personal right to agree or disagree with the decision, as I do in any book. 

I also reserve my right to change my mind about any of my opinions and she deserves that too.  It will be interesting to read the whole interview when it comes out and to hear/read the reactions of the HP stars if they care to comment on it.

Rhrshipper and Jon- love and respect what y'all said...

First off, even if JKR does feel this way then that is fine- bottom line is she wrote them as a couple from the start ;)

As for relationship counseling...first counseling is not a bad thing- it strengthens relationships in the end- my best friends went through it and their relationship is even stronger now. As for the article, that's super interesting- wants to sell more and tbh I think it will big time...funny how this one tidbit of interview got "released" before the magazine.

Romione is a very real couple who loves each other more than anything...she has nothing to apologize for to H/Hr shippers- nothing.

ROMIONE FOREVER!!!!!!!!! ;)

Yea, Jon and rhrshipper---the posts re:this article are already causing a bad fury and lots of R/Hr shippers

are not very happy about this comment. Maybe Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny, should have all gone

their separate ways and she shouldn't have had any relationships in the end. Harry and Ginny seemed kinda

stiff in their relationship and it seemed too hurried, while R/Hr were leading up to theirs the whole time. Then she

says they would have needed counseling!! I don't think so, as most people that have known

each other--and tease each other from the time they were little, grow to love each other and have the happiest and most

successful marriages. I know about 4 couples that have done this very thing.

I wonder what JKR's "very personal reasons" were for pairing them and if she answers that ? in the full article. The R/Hr

fans are huge, and I think with this comment and according to the blogs/posts on other sites, she might have

just lost a huge part of her loyal fan base. Time will only tell.

Rhrshipper and Jon- love and respect what y'all said...

First off, even if JKR does feel this way then that is fine- bottom line is she wrote them as a couple from the start ;)

As for relationship counseling...first counseling is not a bad thing- it strengthens relationships in the end- my best friends went through it and their relationship is even stronger now. As for the article, that's super interesting- wants to sell more and tbh I think it will big time...funny how this one tidbit of interview got "released" before the magazine.

Romione is a very real couple who loves each other more than anything...she has nothing to apologize for to H/Hr shippers- nothing.

ROMIONE FOREVER!!!!!!!!! ;)

Thanks Kristin!

For all my talk I have to admit that there is a slight feeling of hurt.  I feel kind of stupid for that.  And it makes me want to apologize to Jo Rowling even as silly as it sounds.  But to me it just tells me how much I love Hermione and Ron as characters and how much I admire their relationship.  It also tells me how deeply I feel about the series.  

You always say the right things.  I guess that's what makes you captain!  Thanks Kris.

And Dee... sorry, I posted this while you were posting... I would never turn on Jo Rowling or her series even if she flat out says Ron and Hermione was a regrettable mistake she wish she could take back.  Jo seems like a wonderful person from the things I've read about her and the interviews I've seen with her.  I realize that is a snippet into someone's life, but she still wrote a masterwork.  IF she thinks now that Harry should be with Hermione I could not discredit that.  Harry is a great and wonderful character as is Hermione and it's not like she'd be pairing Hermione with Draco. 

JKR doesn't lose my support at all.  I also remain a Ron and Hermione shipper no matter what. I would hope that other Ron and Hermione shippers would not be too harsh in their criticisms of Jo Rowling because of these released comments or the whole article once it comes out. 

Edited by Mr. Pumpkinhead

The article has stirred up a hornet's nest in the fandom. The shipping wars seem to have resurfaced in all other sites.

This is exactly what the folks who released this liitle extract with out of context quotes wanted- to promote the magazine and sell a hot topic. The full interview will be released on thursday and the war of words will continue till then.

Relax friends.. It is clear that JKR wanted R and Hr to be together from the start and she has her own personal reasons. She doesnt say anywhere that she regrets it as claimed by the article.

As for me; the entire HP series would always have a place close to my heart and R Hr would be my fav couple forever. I dont care what some stupid article says. it is RHr forever...

If the point was to sell magazines then the quotes will have their desired effect.

I hope that isn't the case.  At least not as a motivating factor... because if it is then it comes off as very Hollywood... something I'm guessing Jo Rowling might find insulting. 

I hope that whatever Jo Rowling said was her genuine opinion even if it has changed. 

Reading online right now it seems like Emma's opinion is getting lumped in with Jo Rowlings (at least as far as we can discern from what's been released).  Even though I did not take that from the comments  myself. 

rhrshipper, you mention the "hornet's nest" the comments have created in fandom and my concern for Emma is the potential negative publicity it could bring to her. 

It's a bit hard to believe that the backlash would not be anticipated.  That's why I hope if JKR's opinion has changed that she truly feels that way.  It's going to be extremely hard for her to say that her comments were taken out of context when the context they were put in were via the editorial choices of Emma Watson.  It's a bit of a sticky situation for them both I think. 

The full interview could bring more clarity or more questions.  It will be an interesting hot topic no matter what.  Ultimately Jo and Emma will weather the controversy just fine because as fans what we do is react and over react to everything these days.  With the landscape of popular culture as it is though, today's controversy quickly becomes yesterday's news.  So this too shall pass. 

Can't help but admit that this totally unexpected and uncalled for relevation has shaken me a bit, but it doesnt change my opinion on R and Hr in any way.

Let us wait till Thursday for the full text and see what it was all about...

Edited by rhrshipper

Ron loves Harry as his brother but he also loves Hermione more than life- he leaves not just because of the locket but because I think he feels that he needed to let Hermione go because he does love her so much. Hermione loves Ron more than life- the one thing I have to say I hate I mean truly hate about JKR saying R/Hr should not have ended up together is that she thinks that little of Hermione- Hermione CHOSE RON- she is the smartest witch who can think for herself- Ron challenged her- not Harry- also R/Hr are a REAL couple- what does JKR think Harry and Hermione wouldn't have fought if they had ended up together? Because if she does, then JKR needs counseling. Sorry but this is my rebuttal to the whole comment...

Bottom line is this: the media loves to stir up controversy- they always have. Like I said it is interesting that the Sunday Times got the leak from the interview. We will need to see what happens. As for Emma' s opinion- that excerpt is only showing Emma saying fans would agree- if she said yes I agree Harry and Hermione would be a better match then ugh I will still love Emma but oh how that will break my heart even more. As for now Emma has not given her own opinion.

SS I have seen the wars stirring back up and woahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

But whatever happens-RON/HERMIONE WEASLEY ALWAAAAAAAAAAAAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Edited by cbmac12

Some of the posts on other sites are defending the R/Hr ship saying they hated their spouses in grade/high school and

married them--happily and for many years. I think that R/Hr show that you grow to love, understand, trust those you may

not get along with at first. This tumblr says it perfectly:  

Edited by soulsister

OMG OMG OMG SS- you just freakin made my day- I will defend this ship until the very end!!!!!!!!!!!! :')

I just don't see how JKR could even had put Harry and Hermione together even if let's say we change the story around, Harry was too self absorbed in his Chosen One role...plus I am sorry H/Hr shippers but Hermione loved Ron from "dirt on your nose," ;)

We will fight with our very being for this ship ;)

you all please go and visit this tumblr...OMG this tumblr...it changed from hjeanweasley to theperksofshippingromione.tumblr.com

THIS says it all about us ROMIONE SHIPPERS....

So to sum up what poster said : THEY ARE MARRIED AND HAVE KIDS ;-)

I will always respect and admire JKR (and Emma anyway), however much I disagree with an opinion of theirs, but I have to admit, the excerpts do bother me quite a bit. For a variety of reasons. 

From how it sounds, she thinks R/Hr isn't credible. How so? Even if the couple was a kind of wish fulfillment (I guess JKR relived and led to a happy-end her childhood crush on her friend Sean, the tall, red-haired, lanky one with the Ford Anglia), that doesn't mean it hasn't literary credibility. The bickering couple is a classic literary tool and has as much credibitly as Harry and Hermione have. 

And character-wise, how are H/Hr a better fit than R/Hr? And what about Ginny? She is a smart, capable, strong witch who does not grate on Harry's nerves at every moment possible. How are Harry and Hermione less likely to end up in counseling? (btw, I don't think R/Hr would need counseling at all in the first place).

Of course JKR is entiteld to change her opinion and express it. Like we all are. But from how it sounds, she didn't change her opinion in the time AFTER the books, but already during the writing process, but she just resumed to "stick to the plot". In admitting to that, doesn't she just discredit herself as a writer?

She "regrets" it now. That is quite a strong word. JKR has always been very cautious and non-committal with how she worded things. Regret translates to "I made a mistake, R/Hr are wrong."  I think that hurts not only the R/Hr people but the H/Hr shippers as well, because the books didn't end H/Hr did they? So what should they think now?

It all sounds belittling. Belittling a beloved character, a beloved couple, and her own writing in the end. At least when it comes to the romance-part of the books. All I can hope for now is that the full interview will bring more clarity, that context will put things into perspective. Maybe I'm reading too much into these couple of words. Maybe I am far too invested in a literary couple and that after all these years ... But then, Ron is my favourite literary character and R/Hr my favourite couple and it does hurt when not just any critic or shipper says these things but the very author who wrote it herself. 

In the end, maybe we should see it like this: The books ended R/Hr and as long as she doesn't go about and re-writes, we are fine.

I know my comments are reactionary and it's more prudent to be patient and wait for the whole interview...

but the comments as they've been presented thus far just feels like the literary equivalent of infidelity.  It's like Jo Rowling created a large segment of her fanbase around the Hermione/Ron and Harry/Ginny relationships, and now she just cheated on them with another segment of her fanbase that preferred other relationships in the story.  I know I said it's okay to change her mind and it is, but it's also important to stand by the power of your convictions.  If you do not have convictions than you risk losing your moral base.  By potentially losing your moral base you risk the defilement of the characters.  It opens a big can of worms.  Hermione is done a disservice, Harry is done a disservice and Ron and Ginny get left by the wayside. 

Oh the irony!  Ron ultimately just got treated by Jo Rowling the way that he always feared others would treat him and how he feared others viewed him.  The evil Hermione that came out of the locket should have said, "Least loved by Jo Rowling" to Ron.  Okay, perhaps I'm indulging in a bit of hyperbole there. :P

You put things so exceptionally well Sabine!  Thank you!

It's good to see you back too, even though the literary circumstance that brings your return to the convo here is rather unfortunate. >.<

I soooo find myself wanting to be an apologist for Jo Rowling but the more I think about the comments the more they have poked at me like a sharp stick. 

Not only will it be interesting to see the article in full but Jo Rowling's reaction to her fanbase's reaction.  Surely she had to have some sense of the public outcry her words might bring.  So after all those fans bought her books and watched her movies, did she just throw them the proverbial finger and drop the F-bomb on them?  While I doubt that was the intent, I don't think it's a stretch to say it's how a large portion of the HP fanbase has received these revelations. 

Yes MrPumpkinhead, the more I read the comments, the more baffled I am, I do not understand why on earth would JKR ever make such a comment, 7 years after the release of the final book. You are spot on about Ron finally being treated exactly the way he feared others would treat him- I thought it was just the movies which did him disservice, but now the author herself??

Let us wait till Thursday folks.... I hope sense prevails...

Ha, ha, I love a bit of hyperbole from time to time, Jon.

Anyway, I know what you mean with infidelity. All the comments over the years about anvil-sized hints, nudge-nudge, wink-wink, and how Ron and Hermione love to bicker and are made for each other. Now she backpaddles completely. She says she doesn't want to break hearts but she does (well, kind of) and she is too smart not to know what kind of reaction these comments would entail. Basically, she lied to her readers, knowingly and - what's worse - by sticking to the plot although she thought it wasn't right, she lied to herself. At least that's how it all sounds to me.

But dookdook is right, JKR never used the word "regret" in the quotes provided so far. So that part of my first post on this topic is redundant now. 

Edited by galadriel12

Well Jon, I think both JKR and Emma are too clever, and to some extent, are messing around with the fans--in a fun way.

IMO, Harry should have married Luna, as they have a real esoteric/spiritual relationship. She really gave him some sound

advice re:being islolated by his friends, as that's easier to control/fight your enemy. She also gave him the info re:the Ravenclaw

diadem/Gray Lady/Helena.

I also think Ginny/Neville should have gotten married, as I think she really cared for him--that scene of them dancing into the night

at the Yule Ball is priceless. Also, the falling bridge scene---Ginny's there first crying out "Neville, are you alright"???

JKR was thinking of killing Ron off during the Battle of Hogwarts. IMO, I don't think Hr would have gotten married at all. She would

have been a professor of potions/spells at Hogwarts--kinda like Prof McGonagall.

Maybe it would have been best if she ended the story with the trio, on the bridge all holding hands, and just let the readers use their

imagination as to their futures.

As it was, Rupert mentioned that he would have been ok with his demise as he wouldn't have had to look like a "bad looking Donald

Trump" in the epilogue"!!! :rofl:

Like dooks said, let's just wait until we all can read the entire article, and not jump to any conclusions.

Yeah ya guys I agree with Dooks- we need to wait for the full interview and see what happens...SS YOU CRACK ME UP ;)

On the plus side- galadriel welcome back my friend!!!!! :)

I am going to wait and see what happens Thursday- for all we know it could JKR joking even? Hey I am trying to give benefit of doubt here Lol

Thanks, Kristin. *hugs*

For some reason I can't edit my own post so here is a snipped I found on Mugglenet:

The printed article suggests that only Emma believes Harry and Hermione would've made the better match, whilst the online article states both actress and author agree.

While I too have a hard time to believe that Emma would change her mind about R/Hr - she has always been such a vocal supporter of R/Hr - I personally wouldn't mind it as much as if JKR backpaddled. Unfortunately, written interviews are always edited as well, so important little nuances might get lost. In the end we might have to wait for JKR to comment on this all, if she even comments. Maybe she just sits at home in Scotland and rubs her hand with glee over all of us getting so worked up. She just has this wonderful kinf of humor. LOL

Edited by galadriel12