The Emma-Watson.net Forum

The Ron and Hermione Thread

I wonder how different the interview would have been if it were not conducted by Emma. As good a job as she did with the interview, I do wonder if it gave JKR the support and comfort to say things she would not have said in an ordinary interview, because she had someone else close to the series to agree with her. In part It did feel like two friends looking back on their memories and judging them, which is generally a positive thing as the interviewer can relate, but I do wonder if it enabled them to run away with themselves and to a point forget how their words might affect the readers. I'm not in any way saying that the comments were Emma's fault or that they are not JKR's true opinions - I'm sure they are - but with Emma agreeing with her we did seem to get quite a one-sided view of JKR's current opinions.

It seems over-dramatic to say this, but it does feel a bit like the two people who have for years been the most vocal supporters of R/Hr (that is, of those who have anything to do with the films/books, not counting fans) have suddenly turned around and thrown it all back in our faces. They have every right to change their opinions, but it does seem a bit tactless to fans to just throw this out there with little explanation. I'm not even sure it's a good thing for H/Hr fans. Sure, they now have 'evidence' that H/Hr could have happened, which they deserve, but I'm not sure it's much consolation to them when the author who seemed to be on the side of R/Hr before tells them that now the series is finished, actually they were probably right. Great vindication, but it's not going to change anything for them.

I would like at some point for JKR to do another interview with (if I recall correctly) The Leaky Cauldron and Mugglenet (I believe it was Melissa and Emerson who interviewed her pre-DH but forgive me if I am mistaken). Perhaps it would be a good idea for 'looking back ten years on' in 2017, in which they can discuss how she views the series now as a whole, in retrospect. I also expect they would have quite a lot to say on the recent comments.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure I want to hear any more of JK's views on the books. It's a natural thing to change your mind, to gain a new perspective, but she can't change anything, unless she rewrites the series. Which would be complete nonsense of course. The books are finished, they are what they are. And JK telling the readers she thinks differently about certain aspects now and that she might write them differently today, doesn't help any of the readers. Not those who love the books just as they are because they will always have this nagging feeling of reading something that is not quite right. And not those who wished some aspects had turned out differently. They might feel vindicated by JK's words now, but the books are still what they have been. It just hurts everyone, IMO. I'm sure it's not what she intended with the interview, but it's what happened.

And I'm not sure I'm willing or capable just now to forgive her that she threw Ron into the lion's den and gave the haters new fodder. :-(

For those who sympathized or empathized with Ron she made Ron even more of a sympathetic/empathetic character. 

For many fans, two beloved characters in Harry and Hermione are now sullied. 

I agree with Sabine that I don't want to hear anything more from her regarding the series.

Emma and Jo also talked about the new Magical Creatures and Where to Find Them movie and Jo mentioned about how she's imagined so many things about Newt Scamander and "knows who he is".  She apparently did not know Harry or Hermione or Ron or Ginny very well, so how can we trust that she knows who Newt is and that he's not just some manifestation of "wish fulfillment"?  My trust is gone.

As far as Emma is concerned I really had zero problem with the things she said in the interview, and I think any linking of her thoughts with those expressed by JKR probably misrepresents her opinions of H/Hr and R/Hr. 

The interview did come off as very conversational... like two good friends, and I wonder if a lot of the relationship talk had more to do with things they've both felt and experienced personally rather than the way they feel about Ron and Hermione.  There was almost a moment where it was like they were saying... "we always go for the funny guy, the guy who makes us laugh, but intellectually and or emotionally he just doesn't measure up".  That's obviousley me putting words in their mouths and making them perhaps come off as a bit snooty and stuck up, but it's something of the sense that resonates, excepting that a. things get lost reading the written word b. there's a hell of a lot I have no idea about regarding both Jo's and Emma's personal lives.

Edited by Mr. Pumpkinhead

Luciana, what you've touched upon with the tent scene is my biggest disappointment with the interview.  I never liked the scene in the movies, but as a re watched the movies I came to grips with it more as a situation where two friends were comforting one another in their sadness during a difficult time.  Basically Harry was just trying to lift Hermione's spirits a bit.  For JKR to describe the scene as a kind of what could have been moment completely disintegrates the integrity of her characters.  That comment is not only dismissive of Ron, but it diminishes Harry and Hermione.  It also completely justifies Ron's leaving.  If that were the emotion that JKR was grateful was captured by that scene in the movie, then Ron should never have returned.  That little ball of light should have gone into his heart and exploded *yes, I have the propensity for over dramatization on occasion*.  Sure Harry and Hermione could have worked and Ginny could have worked with Dean, but who is Ron, the insecure one left with?  The only way to resolve that is to kill him off, have him end up alone or create a character out of thin air who he ends up with who the readers have zero emotional attachment to. 

It would also mean that when Ron accused Harry of being disconected and disinterested in what was happening to Ginny he would have been spot on.  It kind of makes Harry a slime ball.  I resent that because I love Harry as a character and I love his love for Ginny.  I just don't see how JKR can't see that or come to that conclusion when she made those comments.  She just rolled a truck over the integrity of Harry and Hermione and left Ron pinned beneath the wheels.  That comment is going to make it difficult for me to ever watch the movie again. 

In making these accusations I know that what I am reacting to is a comment that is likely a fraction of JKRs opinions about her creations.  In isolating that comment and ripping it apart I know I'm not doing justice to the depth of her intellectual and emotional investment in Ron, Harry, Hermione and Ginny.  The problem I'm having personally is that JKR has lost my trust.  I trusted her to stand by her characters the way she wrote them and while being able to discuss their flaws, also trumpet their values.  Doubt and a lack of trust if not a relationship killer is a serious hurdle.  If JKR doubts her own decision and can't trust her own decision, then why should I as the reader trust it? (<--- I think Sabine may have made this point earlier)  My reading experience with the HP series is likely forever altered.

Outside of the particular comment that I picked apart I could understand a lot of the other things she was saying regarding Hermione's flaws, Ron's flaws and some of the flaws in their interaction.  As far as the counseling comment is concerned I feel like in the moment she was applying an adult view to two adolescents.  I think it's fair to assume that both Ron and Hermione still had some maturing that is natural for their age to do by the end of the Battle at Hogwarts.   A lot of the back and fourth they had grew out of the tension between their feelings for one another and not knowing how to express those feelings.  I should think that once they got together a good portion of the arguments that derived from those tensions would cease. 

I agree with everything you said. Rowling saying that the tent scene was one of the best scenes (even Emma) was unforgivable.. Also, she praises Kloves as he was some kind of God, like come on!! He destroyed her characters, he did whatever he wanted with her books. I don`t know, I will never understand it....

Sabine, you raise a very good point.

It's such a shame that such a good series and author has to lost fan credibility due to some remarks years after it was written, but that just goes to show the overwhelming love for the series and what it means to fans. Why the hell would anyone want to change that?

Why is a very good question.  What purpose did it serve?

:( 

It was information she offered, it wasn't "pulled" from her.  To sell some magazines?  Did it weigh on her conscience?  I just don't know and I'm guessing I never will. 

I doubt if any explaination will come or any response to her disapointed fans, but speaking honestly, even if it did I'm not sure it would matter or that I'd understand it.

I meant to write it wasn't a fun read at all. I don't want this artice to be true at all!.

To me it seems like its the uncanon scenes from the movie version of JKR books that plays tricks with her mind.

please tell me I'm wrong! Because what and how they said about Ron,Harry and Hermione seems like its the Movie*characters not book*characters.

And the Harry Hermione dancing  scene whereas the book*Hárry just threw a blanket on Hermione! Or did I read Another book?

Exactly Trixie, in the books Harry barely spoke to Hermione after Ron left - aside from a couple of little things like the blanket you mentioned, Harry didn't know how to talk to or comfort Hermione and she didn't seem to want to turn to him, either. That's what I didn't like about the added scene in the film - Ron leaving showed just how important he was to the trio. I don't mean to downplay Harry and Hermione's friendship, which I love,  because I'm sure at a happier time they would absolutely have been able to have fun together, but that wasn't the time. I like the idea of two friends trying to cheer each other up but the reality is that's not what happened. Ron's absence left a void in that tent. If he'd been gone for good, maybe they could have built to something like that dance scene, but as it was... no. To suggest otherwise not only does injustice to the value of Ron himself, but his value to Hermione and perhaps most importantly of all for the series, the value of his friendship with Harry. Whenever Harry and Ron were separated throughout the series, for whatever reason, Harry ALWAYS found himself wishing Ron was there. Hermione's company, though he enjoyed it, never seemed to be quite enough for him (which, btw, I would definitely consider a more fundamental flaw in a romantic relationship than a bit of bickering). If it had been Hermione to leave the tent that day, she would have left an incredible void too and I'm sure Harry and Ron would be lost without her (and not just because of her brains). That's the point - it's a TRIO. Each of them are vital for the story to work. That to me has always been the main issue I have with a Harry/Hermione pairing in the story as it is. The trio wouldn't be the trio any more.

Ok I am back among the living...I have had the worst flu I have ever had...it was debilitating, made me stay in bed, caused me to sleep for HOURS and I mean hours on end...I missed a week of work because of it. I am finally back at work only to be sidelined again but this time with SNOW...we have about 14 inches so far today and it is supposed to continue all day until tomorrow morning. AHHHH....ok enough about me...

I have finally read the interview...all I can say is I am not upset with it as much as I thought I was going to be...the one thing I am annoyed at though is that JKR just out of the blue started talking about the R/Hr relationship and it was like WHY? and like the part where JKR brings up R/Hr is so strange...it was like she was talking about how she was like Hermione in the beginning of her childhood and now is not etc and then she brings up R/Hr relationship???? I am sorry but either Jon is right and she is having some kind of mid-life crisis or this is a PR stunt which I would hope would not be. What was weird though was she was like going on and on and then she was like this is Potter Heresy! Emma even said I know it is heresy....as for Emma I found her comments to be sweet actually. She never once said Ron doesn't make her happy and when JKR says I hope I am not breaking hearts out there yell well JKR as the creator of HP and this VERY loving REAL couple you were not smart for saying this. As for Emma's comments I found nothing wrong-all she said was the fans out there wonder...she not once says yes I wonder that too. The dance scene never bothered me a whole lot because A)Dan is goofy LOL and B) you never got that "connection" between H/Hr during the dance. Emma's face when she looks at Dan screamed "YOU ARE NOT MY RON and HARRY I LIKE YOU BUT YOU ARE NOT THE ONE".

Anyway I found nothing wrong with Emma's comments-she was fine. She was very professional interviewing.

Ok now for our Hermione's Ron: Yes, he was insecure, low self-esteem, not sure of himself. BUT in the end he was also the most loyal of the Weasley family. He dealt with hand me downs...dealt with being in his best friend's shadow...he dealt with the insecurity of wondering if Hermione loved him. Personally I think if Ron would have dealt quicker with his insecurity of knowing Hermione's love for him or Hermione TELLING RON SHE LOVES HIM...we would have had them sooner together-which is what I wanted. As much as I love that they got together during DH, I REALLY wanted them together by the end of HBP officially (as official boyfriend/girlfriend). Bottom line: these 2 were just stubborn which was why I love them so much.

As for R/Hr needed counseling...I find it funny as all get out Emma was not like yeah they did...she was just talking about Ron and conquering his fear of being out of the shadow of his best friend-I think Hermione wanted Ron to see that he was just as important as Harry and that Harry was not who Hermione wanted but RON. Also yes, Ron would have to work on his self-esteem issues (personally I see Ron being very jealous of any guy who looks at his wife) and Hermione being less critical. But again THIS IS WHY THEY WORK....they both have their flaws and they both balance each other out. Bottom line: they love each other. From what I gather with this interview, you can totally tell Emma supports R/Hr relationship. "Until he had to make the choice and become the man Hermione needs and loves a funny man" (which is what our uptight Hermione needs)....RON DID JUST THAT :) Ron was there for her when it counted most. I mean Harry and Hermione are BOTH uptight-if anyone would have needed marriage counseling it would have been them. I mean think about it, yes they are true equals and therefore would have been BORING and really it would have been a passive aggressive relationship. Harry would not be so passionate with yelling like Ron he would have just brooded while Hermione would have been in an unloving relationship. I mean tbh had Harry and Hermione ended up together, I think Harry would have been abusive-emotionally towards Hermione. I don't mean yelling at her and calling her names but rather being so freakin quiet and passive that it would have driven a wedge eventually causing divorce. Ron is and always was what Hermione needed...he is passionate, loving, loyal, caring, and would die for his girl in the end. Do I think he would still have self-esteem issues and some insecurity? Yes I do-I think that part of your personality doesn't go away but you find a way to push it aside like the way Ron does-yet another reason of MANY why I love and adore Ron. Do I think Hermione would be less critical? I think yes BECAUSE OF RON. Tbh I don't get why JKR found every flaw in Ron and didn't point out the good things he did. Like I said it was like she was on a Harry love potion or something lol. So I don't care what she said about R/Hr or Ron. You know why? Because in the end RON WAS HERMIONE's HERO and OURS.

I have been watching Everybody Loves Raymond. Ray and Debra SO remind me of R/Hr...Ray is the funny guy with insecurities but so loves Debra and their kids and tries to make the right choices (but doesn't always like playing golf when his wife is sick with the flu and their 3 young kids are driving mommy crazy LOL). Then you have Debra who is uptight, intelligent, but loves her kids and drives Ray crazy at times. But in the end, they are passionate, love each other, care about each other. You can also tell Debra marries Ray mostly because he makes her laugh. Hmmm who do we know did that? HERMIONE-Ron makes her laugh ;) In the end THEY CHOOSE EACH OTHER AS RON AND HERMIONE DO. ;)

ROMIONE WILL AND ALWAYS BE FOREVER.

I love my fellow Romione shippers and your passion for R/Hr makes me honored to be part of this group :)

I love what you had to say about Ron and Hermione and the interview too Kristin.  I think one of the best thing we do as shippers is see the positive.  Not spin doctoring to make ourselves feel better, but acknowledge the flaws in the relationships we "ship" and still focusing on the positives.  A lot of the criticisms I have made of JKR derive out of what Kristin pointed to in how in this interview she really only looked at one side of who Ron was (that side that people who shipped Harry/Hermione could sometimes take out of context).  By doing that it felt like JKR was taking Ron's wonderful traits and throwing them by the way side.  In past interviews she has espoused many of the things that made Ron such a wonderful friend to Harry, friend to Hermione and eventual boyfriend and husband for Hermione.  For me to take one part of what JKR has said about Ron and ignore all the things she has said in the past is wrong, and for where I may have done that I'm sorry. 

I think a lot of people, myself included throw such a negative context on the word counseling.  The fact is, when couples reach out to each other through counseling it shows a level of commitment to each other when things go wrong.  While couples need to find the answers themselves, an outside perspective sometimes ignites the light bulb.  To say that Ron and Hermione would need counseling does not mean that they would not work out their communication problems and love each other just as much or even more than ever.  Many couples with communication problems would be too stubborn to turn to counseling and at least Ron and Hermione would do everything possible to grow their relationship positively.  OKAY... maybe I did a  bit of spin doctoring there. :P  That said, I think it's easy to assume the worst, when what was said does not have to be an indictment of Ron and Hermione's love but can be an acknowledgment of their flaws and both of their desires to continuously improve and grow their relationship.  We also have the right to disagree with JKR's opinion too. I don't think she'd ever say that she would take that from someone. 

Thanks to everyone here who have shown and described the great things that we all saw and respected about the Ron and Hermione relationship in the HP series.  Kristin, your assertion that JKR could have gotten Ron and Hermione together earlier in the series is interesting in context of this whole argument that has arisen out of the interview.  IF JKR had gotten them together earlier in the series, she would have had the ability to show whether or not Ron grew past his insecurites and Hermione softened her stubborness.  As is, we only saw the relationship in the beginning and a snippet into the future.  To criticize the relationship after what she showed us of it once they were an actual couple is kind of like criticizing a play after you only saw the opening act. 

JON!!! PROPS to you!!!! :) I love everything you had to say and don't ever apologize for your feelings...just a side note: Even Ray and Debra went to see a counselor (which was hysterical). But yes I think back in the day "marriage counseling" was taboo when in reality is really not these days. My best friend and her hubby went to see one and honestly was the best thing she told me. They said they are stronger and better for it. I can see R/Hr being stubborn and everything but in the end what I see are two people who realize that they love each other for a reason. :) Their combativeness was not something that was mean and cruel. It was their passion for each other but also the fact that they sometimes didn't see the other's POV. Ron CHALLENGED Hermione and I think Hermione was annoyed with that but the same time LOVED Ron for doing it-showed her that Ron could be passionate too and besides his loyalty and bravery, Hermione loves her man. Harry and Hermione-"Harry I really say we do this...no Hermione..Harry I really say we need this" Harry walks away and broods. I mean REALLY!???? LOL....the one thing I didn't like about JKR in this interview (besides like you said Jon ignoring all of Ron's awesome points) was that she didn't point out Harry's flaws....Harry: brooding, self-righteous (at times let's be honest), passive aggressive, selfish, "martyr" syndrome. I mean don't get me wrong he had good points too but he was not perfect.

Bottom line is this: who cares what JKR says-I mean watch in another 7 years she will say I was wrong!!! Ron/Hermione were SO right for each other from day 1! ;) But either way, R/Hr were brought together and not forced. Harry and Hermione I feel would have been too forced. The personalities clash and really there was no passion at all between them. Even if Harry and Hermione would have been paired (THANK GOD THEY WEREN'T), their personalities would have had no passion or chemistry between them. As I said I don't care what was said (except the Ron comments I was like come on really JKR?) aside from that VERY weak aspect, I found nothing else wrong with what was said by JKR.

ROMIONE FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;):excited::ohyeah::happydance::wub::drool:

What I feel after reading and re-reading the interview is that, JKR has now made R/Hr relationship look not only believable from the books, but also 100% realistic!!!!. Ron and Hermione had their flaws and yes they were different in many ways, but they were still attracted towards each other, an attraction - not primarly based on phsysical appearance- that slowly but steadily grew over the years. If the R-Hr love story was made to come out of the blue in HBP(like H/G IMO)- I dont think we would have enjoyed it and it would have looked incredulous for  two opposites to fall for each other one fine morning and end up together without any relationship evolution. The relationship looked believable because it took 6 long years for the couple to realize and finally admit it and even after that, it took another 12 or so months to finally work on it to be an official couple.

But when it comes to a real relationship- post marriage, some of these differences and flaws could cause issues.  A marriage counselling would help Ron and Hermione to work on their flaws and build on a happy married life.  Ron stabbing the locket horcrux was an important step for Ron to overcome his insecurities, but it is impossible in my opinion for a person to overcome things which are deep rooted, in a single moment. Could be because of the counselling effect the Epilogue Ron looked very comfortable in his own skin and continues to be at his jovial best. When Rose and Albus were wondering why everyone was staring at the trio, Ron says "Don't let it bother you- It's me I'm extremely famous." And Epilogue Hermione, who used to snap at Ron at times when he makes insensitive comments, just tries to restrain Ron when his jokes were going overboard, without being miffed- a positive effect of marriage counselling..!!

I have always imagined Ron and Hermione to be that kind of a couple who would often bicker over silly things but still deeply love and care for each other at the end of the day. These squabbles were one of the many factors which made them an engaging couple.

As for JKR's comments on H/Hr- Yes a H/Hr relationship also had potential, we can't deny that, and probably they were not as dissimilar as R/Hr were. But H/Hr also has its own set of flaws- Ron used to voice his differences to Hermione, but Harry chose to remain self-absorbed, which is not the sign of a good relationship. And regarding JKR's comments on the dance scene, here again I find it to be a realistic ghost of an awkward emotional moment between 2 teenagers on the run in dire distress spending nights together . JKR doesnt say anywhere in the interview that she regrets R/Hr or that she wanted H/Hr to be together- all those headlines in the media show that there are a lot of Rita Skeeters out there.

Proud to be a Potterhead and a Romione Shipper..... Thank you all.. :)

Edited by rhrshipper

How do I say I love you in a million different ways?!!!!!!!!! ;-) Omg This. THIS. This is the BEST post EVER....I mean I know I say that a lot but reading this just THIS is why I fell in love with R/Hr...I can't even add to what you said-it was said so eloquently!!!!! YES...the interview only pointed out that R/Hr are a REALISTIC couple...Harry and Hermione would not have been nor would they even have been a good couple.

As for the media-please do not even get me started...I guess this was why Dooks said what they said which was smart-wait til the whole thing came out. The media is as bad as Rita Skeeter and sometimes I wonder how they are allowed to print what they print.

RONHERMIONE FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;):)

Rhrshipper and Kristin, you both wrote so beautiful, thoughtful and well-worded posts on why our couple ist so real, so believable. You put into words everything why we all love Ron/Hermione so much.

Shortly after DH was published, R/Hr were voted in various media outlets among the most popular couples in literature alongside for example Lizzie Bennet/Mr. Darcy or Romeo/Juliet. This proves: R/Hr is a classic!!!! I guess that also proves their literary credibility.

Thank you friends. Humbled by your compliments...:)

The fact that the relationship between the sidekicks of the protagonist of a series which is not a romantic novel, got widespread recognition is a testimony to the relationship....

R/Hr is the best developed relationship in the entire series..

RHr forever...

Thankyou fellow R/hr shippers for writing your thoughts and opinions! Makes me feel better and look at it the way you do.

The one thing that upsets me the most is-which infact bothers me even more than this R/hr V H/hr thing-once again having to se this Ron-hate/bashing. So guess I just have to remind myself about you guys and your intelligent posts from my fellow Ron-fans and R/hr shippers.

Edited by trixie

I hear ya Trixie....JKR didn't point out any of Ron's good qualities...but maybe she was in a PMS mood that day LOL...but just try not to read about it and I just go with Emma's comments about needing a funny man and how important that is ;) In the end, Emma was trying to go towards the positive about Hermione and Ron so go Ems ;) I think honestly JKR was having a weird moment...like I said she brought it up completely out of the blue. The other thing too was that JKR never pointed out Harry's flaws and HE HAS PLENTY!!!! LOL...but all in all JKR not once said she regrets R/Hr...what I love right now about H/Hr shippers is that they said she did say that when she didn't..."this is Potter heresy!" Words from JKR herself ;)

Trixie, we ALL LOVE our Ron...like Emma said he needed to resolve his issues to become the man Hermione needs and clearly he does that...you get that sense like rhrshipper said with Ron in the epilogue-he is comfortable in own skin now and knows he is not second fiddle to Harry anymore. Ron we know is Hermione's hero and was always the one who was the most loyal, kindest, loving, bravest, BRAVEST guy ever: knight in the chess challenge and took a blow for Harry...stood up to Malfoy for calling the future love of his life a Mudblood...went and followed SPIDERS (his BIGGEST PHOBIA) for Hermione...stood by Harry when the broom was reported by Hermione to McGonagall...still went to see Harry and support him in GoF even though he was angry with Harry...stood up for Harry when everyone else was against him in OOTP...went to fight in DoM alongside his girl and Harry (personally I think at this point Ron went mostly to protect Hermione/was worried about her while wanting to help Harry)...WAS WILLING TO DIE FOR HERMIONE-screaming TAKE ME INSTEAD!!!!! Went after 3 dark wizards (albeit teens but dangerous teens-Goyle shot the killing curse at Hermione for goodness sake!!!!) ALONE to get back at what they tried to do to his GIRLFRIEND "ahhhh that's my girlfriend you numpties!!!!!" Wanting to go after the ones who killed his brother!!!! Not caring anymore because of what happened to his brother. So in other words, let the record show RON WEASLEY ROCKS. ;)

But the other side to that coin-he did have his flaws too (BUT WE ALL DO)...his calling Hermione a nightmare and saying she doesn't have any friends (that was harsh :( especially for an insecure 11 year old who was not magical born)...getting angry over rat and cat...jealousy of Krum (but GO RON ;) heehee)...LAVENDER-grrrrrr not his finest moment LOL....of course the LOCKET. Ron left them and even though we know he was possessed by the locket, the trio did have some control still. Now does that make Ron a bad guy? NO. He was showing Hermione how he felt and that emotional range of a teaspoon burst into the size of the water bottle at the wrong moment. But HE CAME BACK. Hermione I believe as ANGRY as she was knew that and was why she did forgive him.

Then there is Hermione-LOL...we ALL LOVE our Hermione. She was intelligent, had to overcome being in a place where her kind were not welcome. But look at her...she EASILY could have gotten the boys into trouble with the bathroom scene (I mean come on what better way to get revenge LOL) but she lies and SHE gets into trouble with her professor (a professor who is her head of house and someone she already clearly looks up to)...put her own life at risk looking for the Basilisk and almost gets killed but rather is petrified...wants to help Hagrid with Buckbeak and risks her life with the Whomping Willow to save Ron (who by this point she is rather smitten with ;))...stays by Harry's side during the GoF tournament and deals with Mrs. Weasley's anger towards her rather gracefully LOL....fights in DoM (again does this for Harry but I think she knows Ron of course will go too and wants to protect him like him her) and COMESTHISCLOSETOBEINGKILLEDBYHATCURSE....Helps Ron out in the try-outs (for someone who follows the rules, she broke a big one by cheating LOL)...PROTECTS her Ron and Harry too by LYING to Bellatrix and is willing to DIE in order to keep Ron safe and Harry too. I really feel Hermione knew she was the short end of the stick here-she was Muggle born who Bellatrix hated with a passion and would not hesitate to kill. She knew Ron would be next (Harry would be "safe" because Bellatrix knew to give Harry to Voldemort) and the last thing she wanted in this world was to lose her Ron. But to me the bravest act Hermione did other than Malfoy Manor? Her changing herself into the one person who tortured her relentlessly and almost killed her with a wand Hermione now had to use.

But again FLIP that coin LOL...she was bossy, was a know it all, was very critical...she tried to upstage Ron with the feather (I think we know she knows she was irking Ron LOL)...the cat and the rat fight...KRUM-I know why she did that but UGH why Krum Hermione!...her constant getting on Ron to study-why was that so important to her? LAVENDER...Hermione should have fought for Ron here-she could have said how she felt about Ron and I don't know curse Lavender LOL...her going with Cormac (yeah not too smart there) to make Ron jealous. Then the LOCKET. I think Hermione should have seen that locket was calling on Ron's insecurities and should have maybe tried to appease him when his time with the locket was not happening. Telling him that the things he was feeling were not real. But then again maybe the locket was already too powerful to even convince him.

I suppose the whole point is to show THIS is why R/Hr work...they are opposites yet very alike too. They are both stubborn and will not back down from a challenge. But they also support each other, love each other, and want to see the other happy. In other words-REALISTIC couple.

rhrshipper-you are welcome ;) AGREE a HUGE testimony to their relationship....

ROMIONE FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Isn't it, Trixie? It is amazing how our love for and devotion to Ron and Hermione - as individual characters as well as a couple - while it might have been dormant somewhat for while due to real life and/or other interests taking over, is still so strong that we gathered here as soon as we felt R/Hr might be threatened.

Bottom line has to be, IMO, whatever whoever says, even if it's JKR herself, Ron and Hermione IS and alway WILL BE. They are literary reality if you will, and no one can ever change that.

Literary reality is nice when it's the couple we all ship and enjoy in fiction, but for a number of readers there is a very real emotional connection to characters in many of their favorite books, and those connections make each and everyone of us look at those character's differently.

The only justification those connections need are unique to the heart and mind of the reader. 

It's why I do not deny anyone the right to feel what they feel so long as they've put thought into character's personalities and their relationships and keep an open mind when discussing them with others.  As we discuss characters and books I believe there is a often times a "right" and a "wrong" relative to what the author intended, and that can be argued a bit more easily than a "right" and a "wrong" regarding the way disparate readers interprit, understand and connect to those characters and those stories.

That is one of the issues that makes JKR's comments particularly tough to work through.  Her comments created a lot of grey area in terms of her own view of the story.  It's somewhat unusual to see that from an author... but then again, it's somewhat unusual in today's society for an author to experience the type of notoriety she has.  So maybe the chance to see that in different authors has not been there (in articles or media) as much for us to see it?

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is that while it's great the story went the way it did for us (meaning the Ron/Hermione and Harry/Ginny shippers)  I don't think the literary reality is as important to me as the unique emotional, intellectual and spiritual connection that makes Ron and Hermione and Harry and Ginny not just a viable couples, but both examples of wonderfully loving and successful couples to me.

I am coming to grips with JKR's comments in a much different way then I originally did.  What I think her comments might have done for me and a lot here is challenge our own notions of how we viewed the Ron and Hermione relationship.  It gave us pause to take another look and ultimately it gave many or all of us a kind of self validation when we re-examined the relationship.   Our re-examination gave us the confirmation that the connections we made to her characters and her story were the right ones for us.

A lot of us probably knew or suspected that already, none the less I think the author's comments made a lot of us take a microscope to our own notions and opinions about the relationship in a way that Joe Schmo commenting on the Harry and Hermione forever thread might not. 

Thank you everyone for your wonderful posts.

I think both time and reading a lot of responses across the internet has helped me put the comments in a different perspective, away from the shock of their initial impact. As some of you have said, it is testament to R/Hr and our love for them that our initial reactions were so strong. I also have always maintained that people have every right to prefer whichever pairing they like or see whatever they want to see within the book - that is the beauty of reading. The author herself has more right than anyone to change her opinions on her own work - we don't have to agree, but who are we to argue? Having said that I can't say the comments sit comfortably with me still - there is obviously a lot more to the argument than JKR could go into in an interview, which focuses on one side of the story. This focus is the part which I don't find fair, but I think that is largely due to my viewing it knowing the fandom history. I think the problem with being a dedicated fan of anything, is that any slight on it can feel like a personal attack - such is the level of emotional involvement. For that to come from the person you are a fan of, the reaction is obviously going to be huge, and therefore possibly unfair.

I think it's important to remember the last dedication of DH - to the readers. Not only did JKR show her appreciation and gratitude to every one of us, whatever our opinions may be, she also gave us licence to let our own imaginations take ownership of the book. Art is how we perceive it, and nothing can change the effect Harry Potter has had on me.

Wise words, Jon. I hope my comment about literary reality didn't come across as if I'm denying anyone their emotional connection. Of course I don't, everyone can ship what they want or feel.

But the text is what it is. I guess JKR's words still irk me a bit.

ROMIONE LIVES FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

I know isn't it freakin awesome how this thread and the fandom never dies??? ;) Our love for Ron/Hermione is something so strong that it brings our passion out and protection for them and of them full throttle. What everyone here says is so beautiful...ROMIONE was put together for a reason and that reason was LOVE ;) I just have nothing else to add to that novel I wrote a few days ago ;-)

ROMIONE FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happydance::ohyeah::excited::wub: