The Emma-Watson.net Forum

The Ron and Hermione Thread

There are also many subtlle things about R/Hr which I enjoyed a lot like : Aren't you a witch/Aren't you a wizard moments in Book 1 and 7. And how Ron remembers Gamp's Law of Transfiguration in Book 7, from Hermione's explanation even though he was irritated by it And the "Always the tone of surprise" by Hermione to Ron's "Always the tone of surprise" was cute

And as mentioned in the earlier post Ron took to heart what Hermione told him in Book 4 and sure enough did "pluck up the courage and asked her out before someone else does"...

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AWESOME comments my friend :) I agree with everything yas said...especially the point about Snape and Malfoy and protecting her from them. As for Harry, totally agree too there. Harry treated Hermione like his sister which is why he acted the way he did towards her- Ron was always right there to defend his girl. I also love how Hermione stood up for Ron in the DH movie (can't recall if this was an added scene or book moment) "Don't! It comforts him"

Always the tone of surprise moments were the BEST ;)

One of my all time favorite scenes in DH was when Ron tells Hermione about Room of Requirement and how it doesn't appear on the map- the look on Hermione's face when she sees that Ron has been listening all those yrs was too freakin precious.

R/Hr bickering was endearing, fun, and hot and passionate-go ROMIONE ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks friend.

Yes, I love that added scene- the expression of Hermione's face was brilliant.

Today(21st July) is 8 years since we got to know that our dear couple became finally official!

8 years ago, on the same day, the final book was launched. Can't believe it has already been 8 years, time has been flying.

I still remember jumping in elation after finding out that the trio were safe aaaaaand R/Hr finally got together..!!

Welcome :)

I cant believe it has been 8 yrs...I remember waiting by my door for the mail person to delver the book- then somehow I missed the delivery...called friends asking if I could read theirs (of course said no LOL) and finally I broke down and drove to Borders and bought it- few copies had remained-they had just put out the last of them- I lucked out. Funnily enough, got the other copy in the mail a few days later ;)

OMG I was screaming when I read them kissing- I remember rereading the kiss a billion times over (the same amount of times I re watch the make out I mean kiss scene in DH2 ;))

I remember btw there were mean so called hackers who said Hagrid and HERMIONE HAD DIED before the book came out- not right having done that evil people!!!! So in other words, I love R/Hr even that much more because I was fighting/cheering for them to get together and make it official :'')

ROMIONE FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Ok I know everyone knows this but do you realize no matter how annoyed Ron got with Hermione when they were younger or angry he got with her when they are older, Ron NEVER ONCE degrades her for being a Muggle born or insults her about her blood status. He loves his Hermione for being just Hermione- GUH ROMIONE :) :) :) like in SS when Hermione does a better job levitating the feather than Ron, he easily could have gotten angry for being shown up by a Muggle born but doesn't. He is just more annoyed that Hermione is all bossy and what not- doesn't take long for him to realize the Muggle born witch will become his best friend for life and even eventually his wife :) :) :) ROMIONE FOR LIFE!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing all those awesome Ron/Hermione (book and movie) moments rhrshipper and cbmac! :)

Molly and Arthur did a great job of passing on their acceptance of all people/pureblood/halfblood/muggleborn/non-humans on to thier children and Ron was of course no exception to that.

The Ron/Hermione tensions came primarily out of angst and the inability to express their feelings in an adult way because shock of all shocks, they weren't adults.  Something some people have a hard time forgiving Ron for it seems because of Hermione's maturity (and I'll add Harry's maturity too). 

I've always believed that Hermione kind of KNEW that Ron cared for her and was interested in her first, and that wasn't really challenged until Lavendar came along.  ONE of the reasons I say that is because of how many times Harry mentions that Ron's ears get red, whenever he gets mad or uncomfortable.  Many of those times happen when he is defending Hermione or jealous about Victor Krum.  I REFUSE to believe that Harry is MORE perceptive about that then Hermione, as we know how perceptive Hermione was with Harry and Cho and Harry and Ginny.  Hermione HAD TO have noticed these things too.  It's part of why she would push Ron's buttons sometimes.  Especially with respects to Ron's opinions on Victor Krum. 

When Victor and Durmstrang left at the end of Year Four she took particular pride in noting how in spite of all Ron's bitterness towards Krum during the school year, he put that aside and still asked Krum for his autograph when he left Hogwarts.  Right then was a small peek into Hermione's perceptiveness with regards to Ron's behavior.  So I am sure that she was able to read Ron's moods and emotions much like Harry was. 

I don't think Hermione was as easy to read.  At least we do not know that from Harry as there is no obvious physical clue into her emotional state that Harry reveals as he does with Ron's ears turning red (at least not that I recall --- perhaps someone might correct me as to that).  In general Ron was not as attentive and I think that it's easy to say that Hermione not only knew Ron's feelings for her before he knew hers for him, but she also knew his feelings for her before HE even entirely knew how he felt for her.

Some people wish to blame a teenage boy for not being perceptive towards a teenage girl.  HECK!  I'm an adult male and I'm not always very perceptive in regards to other adult females! haha *embarrassed laugh --- hides the tears* lol

The Ron/Hermione tensions came primarily out of angst and the inability to express their feelings in an adult way because shock of all shocks, they weren't adults. Something some people have a hard time forgiving Ron for it seems because of Hermione's maturity (and I'll add Harry's maturity too).

JON!!!!! Ok first off, welcome back fellow ROMIONE SHIPPA ;)

I cut/pasted your quote because I agree with ya!!! Their inability was TOTALLY angst and tbh sexual tension...especially by 4th yr shoot maybe even third yr when hormones start running wild. IMO, I believe that Hermione started to have feelings for Ron by 3rd yr- even though he was very harsh with her over Scabbers. But I feel/believe Hermione realized that Scabbers was super important to Ron and felt bad when they took him away. For Ron- say 4th yr, easily...but sometimes I think being a guy, especially a 14/15 yr old guy, it was difficult to say what he was feeling. Personally I like the Krum aspect- opens Ron's eyes that there are other guys who could take Hermione away from him. He didn't start feeling threatened by Harry until that damn locket made him see things that were not true.

Ron really did have an emotional range of a teaspoon- could that be he was the youngest boy who got teased by his brothers ahem the twins ;) who knows?? I think Ron wanted to tell Hermione how he felt but was hurt by Hermione not having trust in him to win the match. Again both made HUGE mistakes-no question...

In the end, Hermione and Ron finally showed their feelings for each other- do I wish it would have been sooner??? YES...in my AU mind I see R/Hr dating at the end of 6th yr, in DH, Harry leaving R/Hr behind and R/Hr having to locate him, running into trouble, etc until finally finding Harry ;) I have been reading lots of ROMIONE FF lately and watched HP marathon this past weekend ;) again just have to say-THE KISS/MAKE OUT SCENE GUHHHHHHHHH ;)

To read an AMAZING FF about R/Hr flaws and mistakes they make with each other since their first yr-shows R/Hr seeing each other's perspective- freakin awesome fic...by Coyote Laughing Softly called TO KNOW YOU IS TO LOVE YOU-absolutely amazing...

ROMIONE FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Superb posts Mr Pumpkinhead, cbmac.

Totally agree with you.

It was obvious from CoS that the relationship was blossoming.

I am sure, Hermione was very much aware of Ron's feelings for her, from PoA onwards.

You have one particular scene in the PoA book, which is similar to the awkward shake hands scene in the CoS movie.

When Hermione breaks down hugging Ron after they reconcile, Ron becomes terrified awkwardly patting Hermione, and looked very relieved when she let go of him.

in GoF, Hermione clearly hoped to get invited to the Yule Ball by Ron- she seemed more interested in Ron's comments about his probable dating partner. And Hermione expressed her disappointment very well known by storming off to bed, when Ron clearly indicated he would go with the prettiest girl who would have him! Our poor little insensitive Ron, clearly failed to pick the signal.

I like the whole Yule Ball saga, as it opened Ron's eyes. This was also reciprocated by Hermione's dislike for Fleur and her scowls and frowns when Fleur kissed Ron after the 2nd task, and when Ron tried a bit of flirting with her in the end.

But, it was probably Ron's insecurity and inferiority complex that inhibited him from making a step forward.

Hermione was very well aware of this, but wanted Ron to take the first step by overcoming his demons. That could be the reason why we see the couple bicker too often in OoTP, Ron frustrated at Hermione's contact with Krum, and Hermione equally frustrated at Ron's lack of tact and sensitivity. According to me, R/Hr relationship making very little progress in OoTP, after all that happened in GoF,  is the only flaw I find in the entire relationship.

N

Yes, both Ron and Hermione have made mistakes, and that is one of the reasons why I consider this relationship to be a realistic.

Ron should never have channelized his insecurities and frustrations on Hermione. At the same time, Hermione's continuous insistence to Ron that she and Krum were just friends, was wrong. Acts like praising Harry's fanciability right in front of Ron(probably to arouse jealousy), and her comments in the changing room after Ron's Quidditch game in HBP, were gross mistakes. Anyway, all these proved to be learning experiences for the couple to correct their mistakes. Hence, I would like to take JKR's comments on the couple needing relationship counseling in a positive sense, because it makes the relationship much more realistic, after accpeting and trying to work on individual flaws. There is no doubt that Ron and Hermione love each other very well, at the same time, they have to work hard on their relationship, overcoming the differences and rectifying their flaws. This, in my opinion, makes R/Hr stand out as a couple willing to work on their flaws to strengthen their bond, unlike the usual fantasy love story.

JKR probably wanted to quell the R/Hr doubters after the media did a 'Rita Skeeter' of her interview comments. That could be the reason we see 2 huge cute R/Hr moments in the Quidditch World Cup commentary she wrote last year.

R/HR forever....

Ron should never have channelized his insecurities and frustrations on Hermione. At the same time, Hermione's continuous insistence to Ron that she and Krum were just friends, was wrong. Acts like praising Harry's fanciability right in front of Ron(probably to arouse jealousy), and her comments in the changing room after Ron's Quidditch game in HBP, were gross mistakes. Anyway, all these proved to be learning experiences for the couple to correct their mistakes. Hence, I would like to take JKR's comments on the couple needing relationship counseling in a positive sense, because it makes the relationship much more realistic, after accpeting and trying to work on individual flaws. There is no doubt that Ron and Hermione love each other very well, at the same time, they have to work hard on their relationship, overcoming the differences and rectifying their flaws. This, in my opinion, makes R/Hr stand out as a couple willing to work on their flaws to strengthen their bond, unlike the usual fantasy love story.

JKR probably wanted to quell the R/Hr doubters after the media did a 'Rita Skeeter' of her interview comments. That could be the reason we see 2 huge cute R/Hr moments in the Quidditch World Cup commentary she wrote last year.

R/HR forever....

YES YES YES..... I agree 100%....people totally took that in a negative sense but think about it- no couple is perfect...even if she was just joking about them, they are the realistic couple of HP...flaws and love and all :) this is why I love R/Hr so much...they didn't magically fall in love or suddenly fall in love- they did it gradually which is why they are successful ya know? As for the Rita Skeeter article- agree totally rhrshipper!!!!!! I found it interesting that JKR did put those sweet R/Hr moments in 5 months later when she did the interview but of course it was to appease the R/Hr shippers. I wasn't annoyed with her because on paper Harry and Hermione were the perfect match in terms of personality and things in common...but passion and love? NO CONTEST-ROMIONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

ROMIONE FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I can talk about Romione all the time...the main thing is Ron and Hermione just love each other more than anything. Again plain and simple Hermione and Ron CHOSE each other. Wasn't forced on them, they could easily have gone after other people...but they didn't...why? Because they knew each other was it for them :)

• 4 weeks later...

JON great post, as always! And the same goes for our number one shipper, you girl ^^

I REFUSE to believe that Ron would not be the right for Hermione.

I cannot fatom how such a great character like Ron even can have readers that hate him, and totally missunderstand him, the always see the less good side of him and never the good side. Some even wanted him dead!

And all because the want Harry To be with Hermione?

Well he will always be my favorite. and Ron and hermione ARE meant to be with each other and they make a great couple.

• 2 weeks later...

HERE HERE HERE!!!!!! Romione FOREVER!!!!!!

People are just bitter...the main character didn't get to be with the lead woman. They are just jealous. Ron is EVERYTHING to Hermione, but he is far from perfect- as is Hermione. They have their flaws but they love each other wholly- their successes, their talents, their personalities, their flaws. Ron did make Hermione cry a lot- Hermione didn't cry much with what others said to her- Malfoy, Snape, even Harry. But she did cry when Ron said harsh things-why? Because she cared what Ron thought of her because she loves him so much. But more importantly, she knew Ron didn't do it to be mean or cruel. She knew Ron had his own insecurities too and so eti ES said things he didn't mean. Hermione was the same- she could be hurtful too but I think just like Ron didn't realize it. I literally could go on and on about R/Hr. Bottom line ROMIONE FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

rhrshipper, I wanted to address what you mentioned as the only flaw you saw in the R/Hr relationship due to the lack of development during OoTP.  That was the beginning of the real darkness (as far as storyline was concerned) in the books after the deaths of Cedric at the end of GoF and the death of Sirius.  I think that JKR might have played down the development of the relationship at that point in part because of the change in direction the story was starting to take. 

Harry felt so isolated in that book even around Ron and Hermione, I can only imagine the self angst Harry may have had if the R/Hr relationship had taken off more at that point.

Given that the story is mostly following Harry's perspective on things his overwhelming gloominess and self pity in OoTP may have made him less perceptive to the things going on between Ron and Hermione as well. 

I also believe that JKR planned on dragging out the R/Hr thing.  The tension between R/Hr was a major side storyline.  By getting them together earlier then she did she risked losing that hook (not that she really had to worry about losing readerhsip of her stories), but she also would present herself with the side difficulty of displaying the R/Hr love interest as a couple during an extremely dark and difficult time in the action.  Something she could avoid with Harry and Ginny because of Harry's desire to keep his loved ones protected. 

Having said all that... all I'm doing is trying to reason it out as I totally agree with your comment.  It was disappointing to me that there was not more development of R/Hr during OoTP too, especially seeing as my favorite portions of the storyline usually fell more along the lines of the situations that had more levity and humor. 

I realize that the series is what it is because of the Good vs Evil, Dark vs. Light.  So JKR obviously did not get sidetracked and kept the story moving along in the right direction masterfully. 

I do think she could have give R/Hr shippers some more nuggets during the OoTP and done so in a way that would not have gone in the face of the overall tone/mood.  She proved how great she was at balancing the serious and light moments throughout the series.

This book writing thing is not easy.  Major props to JKR for the works she's completed. 

Have to love how the advent of the internet lets someone like little old me who's hardly finished a poem no less a book become a critic! :P

• 2 weeks later...

LOL Jon, it is because of people like you, me, Trixie, rhrshipper, etc., that keeps the love for Romione alive and strong ;) I question what would happened if OOTP was when R/Hr got together? Let's play for a minute:

OOTP: R/Hr admit feelings to each other...effects...

no Lavender (good!!!)

Ron maybe fighting Hermione to stay behind- I think he would have been a lot more vocal than normal

Hermione leaving Harry to go with Ron during the tent scene- think Hermione would have followed her heart and be with her boyfriend rather than stay- who knows?

With all these scenarios, it maybe does make more sense that things should have been dragged out...OOTP was a dark time but then to balance it with happy times- R/Hr being together finally? Ugh so hard to say... Thank God JKR has enough sense to know and see RON/HERMIONE ALWAYS!!!!!! :)

Love discussing our favorite couple!!!!!!!!! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Awwww thanks Trixie girl :) :) I am just so in love with Romione and Grintson too ;) Romione just makes me smile- the way Ron is there for his girl but also the way Hermione stands up for Ron- best moment that shows this was when she tells Harry to leave Ron alone in DH1 because the radio comforts him-was so freakin beautiful... ROMIONE FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Watching HP marathon...can I just say the Romione moments are just freakin AWESOME to see over and over again?! :)

SS: Ron and Hermione meet for first time "dirt on your nose"; Ron saves Hermione from troll; Hermione not thinking and wanting to go over to Ron when he fell off horse and was hurt :(

CoS: Ron eating slugs sticking up for Hermione after Malfoy the slug calls her Mudblood grrrr....; Ron losing it when Malfoy says he hopes it is Hermione who is the next to die > :( Ron see Hermione petrified

PoA: Hermione leaning on Ron's shoulder when Buckbeak gets killed; bickering over Scabbers and Crookshanks (gots to love their bickering heehee)

GoF: AHHH it begins- Yule Ball (nuff said ;))

OOTP: I call this movie the "get a room movie"- the sexual tension was undeniable- no question.

HBP: the " seriously you 2 bozos, GET IT TOGETHER ALREADY" ;) moments "what if she (Ginny) looked over here and saw you snogging me...; "you've got toothpaste and almost touches her face awwww :); "Hermione's got nice skin, wouldn't you say as skin goes I mean; THE HOSPITAL BED SCENE!!!! Btw, another thing I notice in HBP, Hermione smiles rarely here- Ron is spoken for...starts to smile again in the hospital scenes.

DH 1&2 :too many teehee....sooooo happy: THE SEXY PASSIONATE MAKE OUT SCENE AKA THEIR FIRST KISS ;) the hand holding; Malfoy Manor :( them MARRIED WITH KIDS.

ROMIONE FOREVER!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Well, I have no clue about how could Rupert Grint make such a stinging comment about R/Hr relationship, which has left us all RHr shippers gasping.

To be frank, I have always been a book purist. Book Ron and Book Hermione would always stay in my heat as a made for each other couple who definitely had some flaws. An actor who has gelled well with the character he portrays, would have never made such a comment.

• 4 weeks later...

What was the comment Rupert made rhrshipper?  

Without having heard the comment I wanted to qualify my thoughts on these kinds of matters.  Whatever Rupert's comments were, and thinking back on Jo Rowling's comments that spurred a bit of controversy and even a degree of anger for some time on my own part... 

I think that I've moved on from being hurt by anything anyone might say about the characters or the Ron and Hermione ship.  True, radio and television have been around for years as well as magazines and newspapers, so celebrities always had to handle questions about the characters they portrayed in movies or on stage.  With that said, in today's multi media, social media world actors and actresses must get barraged by questions over the years, especially so when they perform in a prestigious movie or play.  There is always a context in which a person's comments are made, and I don't know that we ever fully understand the setting.  

If Rupert says he loves Ron and Hermione 1 million times and wants them to be together forever... it's news... but kind of gets lost eventually or drowned out.  If he says anything against them all of a sudden it's big news and reason for the Ron/Hermione shipperdom of which I am dutifully a part of to get up in arms over. 

People have bad days, they get tired or get in bad moods and perhaps they say something they don't really mean.  OR perhaps they do mean something and they just think about it differently over the years.  While I do not think I will ever ship anyone with Hermione other than Ron and anyone with Ron other than Hermione, I would not preclude myself from changing my mind years later and shipping Hermione with someone like Harry who was a completely decent and wonderful character (even though I think his relationship with Ginny is so underrated and under appreciated in fandom).  Harry is a good guy.  So I can understand why someone might like to see Hermione be with Harry.  Ron could be a bit of a git.  Something he might say of his own admission to Harry even if he might not be able to say it to Hermione.  So I see where people might be coming from in regards to the Harry/Hermione ship and why some people might have a negative opinion of Ron... or at least of his behavior at times.  

I could also understand why Rupert might resent Ron a little bit.  Which is to say, the way he had to portray Ron in the movies (which was different then Ron in the books).  I remember Rupert saying somewhere/sometime in an interview that he didn't always like how Ron was portrayed as cowardly or reactionary in the films.  I'm paraphrasing mind you.  I think that Rupert knew Ron was just as brave as Harry or Hermione or Dobby or any other character and would have liked to have portrayed Ron's stronger traits that we get to see in the books and not just the weaker traits which we got to see in the books as well, but in the movies his portrayal was weighted towards those weaker traits unfairly at times IMO. 

Okay... i just read the comments.  No happily ever after and they may have gotten divorced OR separated for a time.  So I stand by what I said above.  There are all kinds of context's to which we are not aware.  How was the question really asked?  Was he goaded into saying what he said?  Was he intentionally trying to get a reaction because he was tired about being asked about the relationship?  I could see myself giving an offhand answer to someone's question if they were bothering me.  

Or maybe he meant it and has felt that way all along.  Which is his right too.  I cared so much about what Jo Rowling had to say when I first heard it that maybe I just don't want to care about what anyone else might say negatively about Ron and Hermione any more.  So I am not really offended by Rupert's comments.  We know too that Rupert has a way of slyly joking around with people, so it's possible too that he was just trying to get someone's goat.  

I don't know if we'll ever know the full context of why he said what he said.  And perhaps it's fatigue over the toughness of the world we live in today, but I am beyond asking for or demanding apologies for any such comments like the one's Rupert made about Ron.  However he meant them, whether that be as a joke or seriously.  It's his right either way.  I hope that fans won't think poorly of him for it. 

I am content with my own feelings toward the ship.  My belief in the Ron Hermione ship is as strong as it has ever been.  I think the biggest testament to that strength is the fact that any perceived negative comments from any person, even those closer to the HP series in a literary or cinematic sense then I will ever be, can hurt me any more.  It's like water off a duck's back.   :rolleye0012:

Rock on Ron and Hermione!   :yesyes:

No no no worries- I saw the interview- what happened was the interviewer told everyone to go "dark" and do an alternate universe piece. They were saying the funniest things- Katie Cheung said she would be the ruthless one who tears down bachelor pads that Ron would be living in because R/Hr divorced. Then Evanna was like noooo you only separate then reconcile. It was actually hysterical. Rupert was later at a MoonWalkers thing and he said R/Hr are together but they would be agitated sometimes LOL.

Watch the interview in WWOHP-it really is hysterical!!!!! :) I knew there was something weird about that interview which was why I needed to check out the whole thing. Rupert and co was asked to SWING FOR THE FENCES OR GO CRAZY WITH THEIR ANSWERS ;)

Anywho- love what this person wrote:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/eleanorbate/its-now-or-never#.haoAzYrz3

SAYS IT ALL :) :)

ROMIONE FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)