The Emma-Watson.net Forum

The Ron and Hermione Thread

I am finally coming back to the shipper forums! lol

@Jon... funny enough I used to be a H/Hr shipper. I was obsessed with them!!!! Until the fourth movie came out and I realized that Ron totally want Hermione. But, in the third move she is all over Harry. It was very misleading! But, not I am strictly R/H!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Jon... funny enough I used to be a H/Hr shipper. I was obsessed with them!!!! Until the fourth movie came out and I realized that Ron totally want Hermione. But, in the third move she is all over Harry. It was very misleading! But, not I am strictly R/H!

And Hermione totally want Ron!!! :)

Here is the beautiful love story of our wonderful couple :wub:

I tend to agree. LoL. I found this article/blog or whatever online. Don't get too riled up when you read it or some of the comments. I just had to comment too. Mine is # 71.

clicky

I apologise as I missed your post earlier, Sabine. Excellent, as always.

I truly think the person who wrote this article reads our forums. Why would she come up with such a comment about Emerson Spartz calling H/Hr shippers delusional when that's so old news.

He did it in 2005! Come on!!!

I remembered it was big news at the time, with JK Rowling (reluctantly) agreeing with him.

That interview, with Melissa from The Leaky Caudron as well, was just gold and one of my all-time favourites.

Your answer, Sabine, was just spot on. I could not agree more with your response.

My problem with H/Hr shippers is that they constantly need to diminish Ron's (and Ginny's) character in order to validate their ship.

They consider themselves HP fans but, in fact, they do nothing but underestimate R/H's friendship.

In the books, Ron is the closest to Harry, and he's absolutely devastated (like Hermione) when Ron leaves in DH.

But H/Hr shippers will never understand that, because it's all about H/Hr... they don't need Ron at all.

It doesn't matter that Ron saved Harry from drowning. No. In their deluded mind, Hermione would have probably come up for him instead, guided by her love for him (in case any H/Hr shippers read this, 'cause I know you do, I'm being sarcastic. OK?) LOL

You see, that's the problem with H/Hr shippers. They always mention the movies.

I seriously think some of them have not taken the time to read JK Rowling's REal story and comformed themselves with a 'free-style' movie version.

Edited by vida

Ron and Hermione forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They belong together since SS.

http://s3.amazonaws....dk8wu3%2FtXQ%3D

Awwwww, how cute they were back then. And how beautiful they are today. :D

Jon, don't you feel bad about your suggestion. I actually quite like the idea. You know, going into the dark side of me. :lol: Finding out if I am capable of finding arguments pro H/Hr that go beyond "Ron is not worthy" or "they never bicker".  But I'm not sure I would be good at it. 

I apologise as I missed your post earlier, Sabine. Excellent, as always.

I truly think the person who wrote this article reads our forums. Why would she come up with such a comment about Emerson Spartz calling H/Hr shippers delusional when that's so old news.

He did it in 2005! Come on!!!

I remembered it was big news at the time, with JK Rowling (reluctantly) agreeing with him.

That interview, with Melissa from The Leaky Caudron as well, was just gold and one of my all-time favourites.

Your answer, Sabine, was just spot on. I could not agree more with your response.

My problem with H/Hr shippers is that they constantly need to diminish Ron's (and Ginny's) character in order to validate their ship.

They consider themselves HP fans but, in fact, they do nothing but underestimate R/H's friendship.

In the books, Ron is the closest to Harry, and he's absolutely devastated (like Hermione) when Ron leaves in DH.

But H/Hr shippers will never understand that, because it's all about H/Hr... they don't need Ron at all.

It doesn't matter that Ron saved Harry from drowning. No. In their deluded mind, Hermione would have probably come up for him instead, guided by her love for him (in case any H/Hr shippers read this, 'cause I know you do, I'm being sarcastic. OK?) LOL

I seriously think some of them have not taken the time to read JK Rowling's REal story and comformed themselves with a 'free-style' movie version.

This!!!! The H/Hr shippers (well, part of them) always hated Ron and Ginny, in their little mind only Harry and Hermione exist. I think they never understood the characters, because Ron was always important to Harry and Hermione, he is the HEART of the trio.

We, the R/Hr shippers, never ignored Harry. We know he is the chosen one, and Ron and Hermione love him. They sacrificed their comfortable lifes to follow him, BOTH of them are his best friends.

The most important thing is that we are (and always were) in the correct path. We always knew which was THE COUPLE ;)

I think you missed the part where I said USED to be. I find this very offensive actually. I have read every book multiple times. However, even in the books it was hard to tell until the fourth. They were still very young. I only brought up the movies because in the third Hermione was constantly all over Harry. However, none of that was in the book. Please don't make generalizations, they are very offensive.

and this part?

I hate quoting myself, but please read it all before debating. I wasn't generalizing.

I did read. You wrote

they always mention the movies
. That, my friend is a generalization. I admit that the latter part is not, however that is not the part I was referring too. I explained why I mentioned the movies to prove my point.. that's all. I am not trying to debate/fight with you or anything. I just found your post rather offensive toward H/Hr shippers. And since I am not one I don't quite understand why the post was directed towards me in the first place. I am, and always will be a R/H shipper. So I don't really understand why we are having this argument...

I did read. You wrote . That, my friend is a generalization. I admit that the latter part is not, however that is not the part I was referring too. I explained why I mentioned the movies to prove my point.. that's all. I am not trying to debate/fight with you or anything. I just found your post rather offensive toward H/Hr shippers. And since I am not one I don't quite understand why the post was directed towards me in the first place. I am, and always will be a R/H shipper. So I don't really understand why we are having this argument...

Well I see, my friend, that you have a selective memory then. I think it's ok to reply to a certain part of a post when the author refers to different topics and one only wants to address a certain point. But I don't think it's OK just to use a specific sentence and leave the rest of it left out.

I never said something to you especifically, but I'm sorry to hear that you felt alluded.

Please don't feel offended by this, as I am not referring to you, but some H/Hr shippers tend to stress out how important is the third movie for them, but they never mention the book.

So now I have selected memory as well? wow...

I am not offended by that at all. I already pointed out why I mentioned the movie. And then I also mentioned the books. And already explained how both the fourth movie AND book proved otherwise.

So now I have selected memory as well? wow...

I'm sorry but I did not understand the 'as well' part.

I am not offended by that at all. I already pointed out why I mentioned the movie. And then I also mentioned the books. And already explained how both the fourth movie AND book proved otherwise.

I felt the need to apologize as you felt offended when I said 'some H/Hr shipers' (when you already explained that you are not anymore).

And lastly, I agree with you in regards to the 4th book. I only became a R/Hr shipper then. Up to that point, we only knew that Ron liked Hermione (but we didn't know if those feelings were reciprocated).

I think it would be really cool to walk in the shoes of Harry/Hermione shipper for a day and play devil's advocate. Is anyone here willing to try and do that? To take the perspective that Harry and Hermione should have ended up together and to argue it in a sensible or responsible way (if sensible is not the right word)... not the way it was argued in the piece linked above?

I've got work in a little bit, so I don't have the time to devote to it right now... but I'm willing to take it up as a challenge and argue it here, if y'all are willing to play along? I think it could be fun and maybe do something to help us all appreciate the characters more (if that's possible) than we already do.

Anyone else willing to swallow a little pride and play the devil's advocate with me? The rest of us here can issue challenges to our Harry/Hermione shippers assertions. Kind of like debate class... I think this could really be interesting if there are enough others who are game? :mellow:

Sorry, I really would like to adress this post by itself :)

I think this is a brilliant idea, because instead of denying it outright, I think to truly understand and make a decision, you have to at least try and see where the other side is coming from. I know quite a few people were/are totally against it, but i'd be interested in trying if you were still keen.

As they say, before you judge or decide, take a walk in another persons shoes. If you decide you don't like it, you have hundreds of miles away, and you have their shoes. :P

I am a strong, proud Ron and Hermione shipper - and nothing could ever ever change that, so don't think what I just said is some sort of weakening or changing of sides, I just think its such an interesting concept!

Edited by start.a.revolution

@Jon, you got your back in the end! :yesyes:

It'll be interesting to read your thoughts as a H/Hr shipper, as well as Sabine's and Alex's.

With the quality of thought that the three of you display in your daily posts, it'll be very informative to see how you'd use your verbiage to defend the other ship.

I hope that all your own ideas remain within this thread though. :unsure:

Sorry to barge in but I'm a H/Hr shipper and I think a lot of us, like myself, do not think that Harry and Hermione will still get together (we have read the books by the way, many times) but we just like to write about it and discuss it. Just like Ron/Hermione shippers may have done even before there was evidence of them loving eachother. :) Everyone can't all want the same couple, it just doesn't work like that... I have grown a bit towards Ron & Hermione since Half-Blood Prince and in the Goblet of Fire but I think Harry and Hermione have something there too, so for some reason I've always preferred them :P

Edited by padfoot

Well, like I said... I think it's good to have some people challenge even the evidence we (those playing the role of devil's advocate) may look for to support why someone might chose to ship Harry/Hermione. My point is not simply to understand the other POV, but to try and appreciate where and why some GOOD people might ship Harry and Hermione. All that said. This IS NOT the appropriate thread for it. I have some good ideas for where I might like to start, looking at quotes and evidence from the books themselves, but I will restart the H/Hr and R/Hr debate thread to illistrate those points.

The discussion is not best served here. I want to respect the separate ships and anyone's wish to abstain from the discussion, so a seperate thread will be started.

Anyone participating in those threads should also remember that it would be open to people who truly ship H/Hr and not just those playing the devils advocate, so discretion and judgement should be used when you choose to reply. I find there is a natural kind of gut reaction to reply to those posters who make the most outrageous or offensive comments... but the people trying to make legitimate arguments are often ignored because thier posts are tougher to digest and their assertions require greater effort to challenge, you might even have to open the book again and do some research. So we'll give it a go and see what we've got.

Just remember the point of this is not to create any conversions one way or the other. I am fully comfortable and confident in my love for Ron and Hermione as a couple. I just think that even if there is the potential to explore these characters more and perhaps understand them and maybe even ourselves a little bit better, through looking at a variety of the existing perspectives in Harry Potter fandom, then that might be something worth while. :king:

Oh, and I would like to say a special thanks to Sabine and Alex... you guys really got the heart of what I meant. Maybe this won't work but I think it's worth the try. That said ... I love all my fellow Ron/Hermione shippers and I implore any of you brave enough to step outside our comfort zone here to bring the same respectful and thoughtful opinions to the debate thread that make me so pround and thankful to count myself among you as Ron/Hermione Shippers.

This!!!! The H/Hr shippers (well, part of them) always hated Ron and Ginny, in their little mind only Harry and Hermione exist. I think they never understood the characters, because Ron was always important to Harry and Hermione, he is the HEART of the trio.

We, the R/Hr shippers, never ignored Harry. We know he is the chosen one, and Ron and Hermione love him. They sacrificed their comfortable lifes to follow him, BOTH of them are his best friends.

The most important thing is that we are (and always were) in the correct path. We always knew which was THE COUPLE ;)

Indeed. :)

Ron was the glue that stick them together. While Ron was away, both Harry and Hermione felt miserable.

Anyone participating in those threads should also remember that it would be open to people who truly ship H/Hr and not just those playing the devils advocate, so discretion and judgement should be used when you choose to reply.  I find there is a natural kind of gut reaction to reply to those posters who make the most outrageous or offensive comments... but the people trying to make legitimate arguments are often ignored because thier posts are tougher to digest and their assertions require greater effort to challenge, you might even have to open the book again and do some research.  So we'll give it a go and see what we've got.

That sounds good. 

Just remember the point of this is not to create any conversions one way or the other.  I am fully comfortable and confident in my love for Ron and Hermione as a couple.  I just think that even if there is the potential to explore these characters more and perhaps understand them and maybe even ourselves a little bit better, through looking at a variety of the existing perspectives in Harry Potter fandom, then that might be something worth while.   :king:
Well, even if I'm willing to play devil's advocate, nothing could ever avert me from R/Hr. It's my literary passion (and obsession :lol:  ) so to speak. Likewise, I don't expect to convert any H/Hr-shippers. Wouldn't it be interesing if a couple of H/HR-ers would play devil's advocate too?

And how about some rules?  Argue your ship (be it as a true shipper or devil's advocate) without bashing any characters, without denigrading any of the friendships shown in the series., without calling any couple boring or abusive et al. Basically, without the all the mean stuff that has been said during the shipping wars from BOTH sides. I'm sure it would give us new insights into the series, the characters and ourselves if we could discuss it open-minded and respectful. And most likely we will thus have a whole lot of fun. :)