The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Actors That Have Lost Weight Throughout Harry Potter

Anyone else noticed the change in some actors in HP?

1. Cornelius Fudge - Robert Hardy. In COS he's a bit chubby, and then he loses quite some weight before POA.

2. Dudley Dursley - Harry Melling. He's been similar weight for most of the movies, the biggest change for me was in DH part 1 at the very beginning of the movie. I was thinking "...is that Dudley? :lostit:"

3. Neville Longbottom - Matthew Lewis. He's slimmed down (not that he was ever big) over the last few movies but the biggest change again I think was in DH Part 1. Lost his chubby cheeks haha!

The girls haven't seemed to change at all, do you think the guys just lost weight for themselves? Or maybe even as their characters developed? Hmm.

It's so nice to see the last two all grown up!

Edited by padfoot

the boys had baby fat when they were young, you can see that in their faces so it was bound to grow out. Even if they werent in potter they still would have lost the weight.

I definitely noticed it with Dudley and Neville but like Andrea said it was baby fat, you have to remember the boys were all still pretty young when the movies started so they just grew out of it.

Harry Melling who plays Dudley was in an episode of Merlin a few weeks ago, as soon as I saw him I knew I had seen him somwhere before but just couldn't put my finger on it, in the end I looked it up and it was hard to believe that he is the same person who played Dudley.

I read an interview he gave where he said he was just too indulgent as a kid and it wasn't until he started drama school two years ago that he decided to do something about it, since then he has gone down from 16st (101kg) to 11st 5lbs (72kg) which is quite a remarkable acheivement.

For Deathly Hallows he had to wear a 'fat suit' and I have seen Matthew Lewis saying he has had to use one of them too.

I think with the younger boys like Neville and Dudley they just grew taller. In fact they probably weigh a lot more now than they did then.

Well yes, I'd imagine they weigh a lot more. Back in Philosopher's stone they'd have been around 5" tall, if not less, and now they're both around 6". They have probably gone from around 7st to about 12st. In Harry Melling's case he probably did lose weight, but I reckon Matt Lewis has sort of just grown out of it. Many boys do when they go through puberty.

• 8 months later...