The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Life On Mars / Ashes To Ashes

Did anyone else watch these two series'?

Although they are different, they both follow on with the same storyline and have the same characters, except Life On Mars was based in 1973 Manchester, and Ashes to Ashes was based in 1982 London. That's where the names come from too, Life on Mars was a David Bowie hit in 1973, and likewise with Ashes to Ashes in 1981.

In Life On Mars, Sam Tyler is hit by a car in 2006 and wakes up in 1973, and the same happens to Alex Drake in Ashes to Ashes when she is shot in 2008 and wakes up in 1981 and both end up working with DCI Gene Hunt and his team. For me it has been some of the best drama on TV over the past few years, they are both extremely well written with a great storyline. I am not going to reveal the ending for those who haven't seen it or might want to watch as there is a great twist.

While I preffered the Ashes to Ashes set up, I always thought that Sam Tyler was a better character than Alex Drake, John Simm was just brillaint. For me though it was DCI Gene Hunt who made the series what it is, he has to be one of the best TV characters ever.

I believe that a US version of Life On Mars was made but I don't know how successful it was or how well it was received. Have any of our American members seen it?

I watched a few epsisodes of the American version of Life on Mars, I think it did get cancelled. Anyway, I can always watch the British one on dvd to see how it all ends. I didn't know about Ashes to Ashes, sounds interesting.

I watched a few epsisodes of the American version of Life on Mars, I think it did get cancelled. Anyway, I can always watch the British one on dvd to see how it all ends. I didn't know about Ashes to Ashes, sounds interesting.

You should... you actually don't see a proper ending in Life on Mars, you need to watch Ashes to Ashes too to see how it all ends, there is a great twist.

wait there's a british version of life on mars?! :o

If you liked the American version you should check it out, the British version came first :P

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't a regular viewer until the second series of Ashes to Ashes, and then I was hooked and bought the first series box set. I'd seen some of Life on Mars too, I keep meaning to find that. I agree that they're among the best of British TV in recent years, it's a shame we can't have more stuff like it. I was gutted when Ashes to Ashes finished, and it took me a while to fully understand the ending :P

Gene Hunt is GOD. Or should be, at any rate, that would be an awesome world!