The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Do/Did You Pronounce Things Like They Did In The Movies?

Before the movies came out, did you pronounce things and names differently? I've always said Accio like ah-key-oh, not the other way :P And I used to, embarrassingly, call Ginny with a G like gun, not like Geoff :mellow: lol. There's been a couple of other things but I can't remember.

I always used a soft C and pronounced Accio, (Ah-see-oh), that's the big one that stands out to me. For some reason it's always hard to hear what they say when they say Avada Kedavra in the films, and it seems like a lot of the curses or hexes are said much faster than I would say them. Heck we even know that Ron had trouble with wingardium leviosa and Harry struggled with saying diagon alley in the floo network! :P

My twin brother and I actually had a discussion about this after the last movie. :mellow:

A lot of the spells are pronounced differently than I thought they were. Definitely 'accio' and I still say Remus as "ray-mus" but I believe they pronounce it "ree-mus". I don't remember how I pronounced Hermione's name at first but I knew it was very close to how it's pronounced, so I was a little excited about that lol.

Accio with a soft 'C'

Ginny with a harsh 'G' e.g. for Gun, as someone said.

Various different attempts to pronounce Hermione, starting with the way my friend pronounced it prior to my reading the books; 'Herra-mine' LOL; and ending up with a version not too dissimilar to the correct pronunciation, thanks to the help of Viktor Krum ;)

Several other things too. There seems to be argument within the cast as to how to pronounce 'Scrimgeour' atm, but I've always pronounced it... well, as it's written.

I think I might have said 'Ray-mus' at first too, but it was so long ago I can't really remember.

• 2 weeks later...

percy as per-kee instead of per-cee

when i was younger, i read prefect as perfect.

i was stupid back then...

Perky!

Oh, that's made me LOL! Don't get me wrong, I'm not laughing at you or meaning to offend you any way, but I just cannot stop imagining Percy as some perky little creature or something now. I don't think I'll ever read his name with a straight face again. Ooohh dear :P Sorry!

• 2 weeks later...

When I was younger I pronunced Hermione Herr-me-aune - if you understand what I'm trying to say. Very Swedish pronunciation ;). But I did love that name when I pronunced it that way. I guess I said most of the things wrong since I was 11 years old and didn't understand English very well. All the names got a Swedish pronunciation.

Before the movies came out, did you pronounce things and names differently? I've always said Accio like ah-key-oh, not the other way :P And I used to, embarrassingly, call Ginny with a G like gun, not like Geoff :mellow: lol. There's been a couple of other things but I can't remember.

I don't know what Rowling was thinking when she spelt Hermione, or what the directors thought when they saw what it looked like, because I always said it like Her-mee-on. :blink: At least they choose a good looking charector for her. :excited::ohyeah:

percy as per-kee instead of per-cee

when i was younger, i read prefect as perfect.

i was stupid back then...

It isn't that bad to say prefect perfect if you are just skimming through it (like me, even though I slowed down when I got to book 4), Perky!?! I thought my pronounceation of Hermione was bad enough, but siriesly dood!!! My little sister is better than that and she's only 8!!!

Now I can't remember how they pronounced Scrimgeour is DH but in my head it's "Skrime-gor".

Hermione I can't actually remember but I'm pretty sure it was "Herm-ion"

Also remember the first time I heard them say Expecto Patronum in the movie and it sounded quite different from what I thought. But it's probably not that much in pronunciation as in pace.

Generally I've corrected me pronunciations since hearing them in the movies or as I've gotten older. I read the fifth book in Swedish when it came out in 2003 but since not read any of the books in Swedish, but I expect I would pronounce some things differently when reading in another language!

That is how Accio is said? Haha. Remember "Accio Firebolt" he says. That's how he pronnounces it. In the books and movies it's pronounced the same. >.<

I don't know what Rowling was thinking when she spelt Hermione, or what the directors thought when they saw what it looked like, because I always said it like Her-mee-on. :blink: At least they choose a good looking charector for her. :excited::ohyeah:

Hermione is a real name. There's a girl by me called it. But she's a bit older. It's how it's spelt to. Nothing weird about it hehe.