The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Best Laptop Brands?

I want to buy a new laptop or desktop computer, does anyone know really good brands? We currently have a HP desktop family computer but it gets lots of problems, which I can fix most of the time but not always. So, any suggestions? Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Alienware :excited: - there just gaming laptops and pc's

I was at a local electronics store the other day, and there was this Alienware laptop on display. I went to go and pick it up and it was, like, 15 pounds! I can't believe they can even get away with calling it a laptop :huh:

It also makes a difference to what spec you get for it. Like higher graphics cards or difference processors.

This is true. It depends on what you want and what your needs are. Apple makes a good computer but you're gonna pay for it. Apple has just recently gotten the i5 and i7 processors which PCs have had for some time and at a cheaper price. Apple makes a good looking computer and that's part of what you're paying for as well. Personally I use a Mac Book Pro at home, a Mac Pro on steroids at work as well as a Dell at work and I'm comfortable on all of them and they each serve their purpose. Also, do you want a laptop or a desktop? You really need assess your needs first.

Depends on what you want to do with the laptop. :) I used to have a HP and I really liked it, now I got a Packard Bell and am very satisfied with everything.

I would personally never even consider an Apple but if that makes you tick (and you don't like Windows) then go for it!

Edited by Mrs Duck

I was this close to getting a Macbook Pro 15" lastnight, half black half white but someone else got it. I've been looking for a good one for weeks >.< But I'm not very rich :P Anyone know if the new Sony Vaios are good?

now I got a Packard Bell and am very satisfied with everything.

I didn't know they even still made Packard Bells. I didn't think the company existed anymore.

I was this close to getting a Macbook Pro 15" lastnight, half black half white but someone else got it. I've been looking for a good one for weeks >.< But I'm not very rich :P Anyone know if the new Sony Vaios are good?

I think Vaios are kinda underpowered and overpriced. If you're still interested in a Macbook Pro you should know that they have discounts for students, teachers and government employees and they are pretty liberal with that. If you have a family member that is one of those that works too. But I don't think they'd ever ask you to prove it. I have a MBP 13" and am very happy with it so don't feel like you have to have a larger screen.

Here are a few pages of interest on Apple.com:

-----HARDWARE-----

Compare Apple Notebooks

Compare Apple Desktops

Overview

-----RESOURCES-----

Why Get A Mac?

Learning How To Use A Mac

I do have a question for you, what are your main purposes for the computer? Is it day-to-day stuff, productivity (i.e. word processing), photography, graphic design, etc. If you tell me than I'll narrow down a few options for you. I almost got a job at an Apple Store, so I know my way around a Mac :)

^ Day-to-day, photography, graphic design!

I bought a macbook pro :)

I see what you all meant by them being amazing.

Good choice :yesyes: . On the Mac App Store, you get buy Aperture 3 (professional photo editing made by Apple) for $79.99 (USD). If you want the retail version (comes with the disc and box) you can buy it for $199.99 (estimated; USD).

I also recommend uploading pictures to iPhoto, make an album, and clicking Create>Slideshow. Pick a song, a theme, and the pictures. Choose size (small, medium, large, display). Save to a file. Upload to YouTube. This is how I made the slideshows about Harry Potter (through the years) and Emma Watson (Music playing: I Just Can't Get Enough).

If you take videos on any of your trips, go onto iMovie and choose to either create a video (news report, bulletin board, comic book, sports, scrapbook, etc) or a Movie Trailer (genres: action, adventure, blockbuster, documentary, epic drama, friendship, holiday, love, pets, romantic comedy, spy, etc). I've tried out the trailers, and it's really easy and fun to make. Go to iMovie, file, new project, and double click on any of the trailers to see a preview.

Chat with friends or colleuges with iChat. Set up an account, and you can IM them or have a free audio conference. Also, use FaceTime for Mac to chat with anybody using a Mac with an iSight/FaceTime camera, iPhone 4, iPod Touch (2010), or iPad 2 (yet to be released). So, if you have any friends with any of the products above you can chat with them over wifi, for free, no matter where they are in the world.

If you have any questions about the computer, you can always go into your local Apple Store or PM/email me. The Geniuses (The Genius Bar) will be happy to help, and me as well. Email: Chandler.k1223@gmail.com .

Enjoy :)

Good choice :yesyes: . On the Mac App Store, you get buy Aperture 3 (professional photo editing made by Apple) for $79.99 (USD). If you want the retail version (comes with the disc and box) you can buy it for $199.99 (estimated; USD).

I also recommend uploading pictures to iPhoto, make an album, and clicking Create>Slideshow. Pick a song, a theme, and the pictures. Choose size (small, medium, large, display). Save to a file. Upload to YouTube. This is how I made the slideshows about Harry Potter (through the years) and Emma Watson (Music playing: I Just Can't Get Enough).

If you take videos on any of your trips, go onto iMovie and choose to either create a video (news report, bulletin board, comic book, sports, scrapbook, etc) or a Movie Trailer (genres: action, adventure, blockbuster, documentary, epic drama, friendship, holiday, love, pets, romantic comedy, spy, etc). I've tried out the trailers, and it's really easy and fun to make. Go to iMovie, file, new project, and double click on any of the trailers to see a preview.

Chat with friends or colleuges with iChat. Set up an account, and you can IM them or have a free audio conference. Also, use FaceTime for Mac to chat with anybody using a Mac with an iSight/FaceTime camera, iPhone 4, iPod Touch (2010), or iPad 2 (yet to be released). So, if you have any friends with any of the products above you can chat with them over wifi, for free, no matter where they are in the world.

If you have any questions about the computer, you can always go into your local Apple Store or PM/email me. The Geniuses (The Genius Bar) will be happy to help, and me as well. Email: Chandler.k1223@gmail.com .

Enjoy :)

Thank you! Very helpful.

What size screen did you get?

Just the 13".

Well, you're cute and everything. I just wasn't looking for a girlfriend right now...Oh! you mean you're laptop. Okay, got it. How embarrassing.

:rolleyes:

The edges need to be rounded though, does yours leave marks on your wrists? <_<

Edited by padfoot