• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 andreaol

andreaol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:19 PM

Las week I read an article in a webpage that assures that Emma Watson is hated by Christians.
First I thought that she was hated because of personal issues, but as I read I discovered that is her role in HP that makes such controversy.
“Angry Christians send her Bibles and believe that HP movies are a work of devil”.
Am I wrong or Christians are exaggerating about this?
In my opinion one’s job doesn’t determine the kind of person you are.

#2 dookdookdook

dookdookdook

Technical Support

• Administrators
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:26 PM

There are some Christians who hate HP but they don't speak for all Christians. A good friend of mine is as devout as they come and she loves HP.

#3 The Dude

The Dude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Locationthe dirty souf

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:04 PM

If you're a pimp or a mercenary or something then it pretty much does.

#4 andreaol

andreaol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:11 PM

If you're a pimp or a mercenary or something then it pretty much does.

LOL!!! ... well I was referring to the values thing. I don't think that being a mercenary is synonym of bad person
as well as if you are a millionaire doesn't mean you're honest and kind.. right?

#5 130671

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  • Mood:::/
  • LocationBetween a rock and a hard place ?

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:23 PM

:drool:

Does that site say anything about J.K. Rowling? She`s the "fountainhead" of the entire HP-thing....

Really, those ppl are obviously idiots.

#6 Invisible Katy

Invisible Katy

Forum Founder

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:42 PM

There are some Christians who hate HP but they don't speak for all Christians. A good friend of mine is as devout as they come and she loves HP.

Exactly. I hate when articles like that make it seem like all Christians hate HP or in this case Emma Watson. That couldn't be further from the truth.
Way to generalize...

#7 Josh

Josh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Mood::inspirational
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:58 PM

Exactly. I hate when articles like that make it seem like all Christians hate HP or in this case Emma Watson. That couldn't be further from the truth.
Way to generalize...

I'm Christian and I don't hate her, it's probably Westboro Baptist Church that hates her
Posted Image

#8 andreaol

andreaol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 11:31 PM

:drool:

Does that site say anything about J.K. Rowling? She`s the "fountainhead" of the entire HP-thing....

Really, those ppl are obviously idiots.

no, it doesn't say anything about J.K. Rowling they just criticize the actors but not, as you've said, the "fountainhead"
& thanks for your comment.

#9 Imagine

Imagine

Devoted Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • LocationCheshire, England

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:03 AM

can i just say, those people are only a small select few. Dont blame the majority when its the minority of christians and i mean a minority.

It is clearly not the sign of the devil film,

Posted Image

#10 LostInTransition

LostInTransition

Dedicated Member

• Wind
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • LocationNewcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:33 AM

I try to respect other people's beliefs but I think that this is just downright stupid. I actually think that Harry Potter would help young children to understand the difference between good and evil and to me Harry Potter and his friends show a lot of traits that Christians should be proud of like friendship, love & loyalty.

I remember about five years or so ago the Pope coming out and critisisng HP saying something about it 'corrupting young Christians' and then Amazon came out and said that it has recieved orders of the Half-Blood Prince from many countries.... including The Vatican! :lol:

#11 Leey

Leey

• Wind
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Mood::Moving to Las Vegas
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:35 AM

I don't quite get this "Satanic" view of HP. Not once is any deity mentioned throughout the seven novels. Not once.

I'm currently writing my second novel, and that one is FILLED with Christian references (but I am not Christian) ... So hang me lol.

"A man's dreams are an index to his greatness" - Zadok HaKohen Rabinowitz

Posted Image

#12 andreaol

andreaol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:39 AM

Harry Potter would help young children to understand the difference between good and evil and to me Harry Potter and his friends show a lot of traits that Christians should be proud of like friendship, love & loyalty.

i agree with u, but they should take care about what messages are giving to young Christians. they satanize movies that shouldn't be and they miss other things that are
much more important. i'm not only referring to Christians but Catholic church.

#13 Fabienne

Fabienne

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:37 AM

Las week I read an article in a webpage that assures that Emma Watson is hated by Christians.
First I thought that she was hated because of personal issues, but as I read I discovered that is her role in HP that makes such controversy.
“Angry Christians send her Bibles and believe that HP movies are a work of devil”.
Am I wrong or Christians are exaggerating about this?

Not all Christians are like that, I'm a Christian myself and a huge Harry Potter fan as well.

It's kind of funny that those select people are sending her Bibles and trying to save her, when she's a Christian herself. They need to check their facts. :rolleyes:

Posted Image
Icon and banner made by me
Proud Nerdfighter

#14 stinka

stinka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:41 AM

anything to get hits on their website.

#15 tabitoo

tabitoo

Novice Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSouthKackalacky

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:36 AM

I'm a Christian and I love HP and I like Twilight. At church all the preachers preach against both though since the preacher is probably doing the pianist or thinking about it (he's only human) I don't hold much to his oppinion. I go by what I read in the bible. Most church goers want to judge others because it's hard to reflect on themselves because they know they sin a lot who doesn't. I do about every other minute with my thoughts and it's easier to judge others than themselves. They don't really hate Emma. They are drawn to her and it scares them so instead of just saying hay here's a great actress who's very talented, and pretty and just so awsome...they think it's sinful for them to feel this way so it must be her fault so she needs to be sent a bible so as not to bewitch them with idolizing thoughts. By the way they forget the 1.commandment is "Judge not least the be judged." Though most people I know like to judge christian or not it's easier than looking at your own faults and trying to change yourself to become a better person. Being a Christian doesn't mean you don't sin, it just means you're forgiven. A lot of people "Southern Baptist especially" forget this or never hear it from they're preacher at all. He's too busy with the pianist or filling his pocket with tiths... just kidding. Preacher's are only human like the rest of us and that is how I view them. He's called to preach but he's still as much human as you or I and I'm sure he sins just as much..that's all. I don't place him any higher than any other human I know and I don't think I'm wrong for feeling this way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users