The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Lets not forget that a LOT of the Afghan National Army and Police very much want to have their country back from the Taliban. They're grateful that Britain/America/ANZACs/NATO is helping train them and teach them how to deal with the Taliban threat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think the ISAF is doing a pretty good job in training the ANA and paramilitary forces. Although there is a constant threat of Taliban / al-Qaeda or sympathizers within the ranks, the benefits far outweigh the threats. These forces are already deploying their own independent operations without the help of any ISAF forces and succeeding with superior tactics and better equipment. But the sooner the entire force can hold on their own, the sooner our boys can come home.

---

Was just talking to my friend earlier today while picking up some of my things at his apartment. I just found out that after his deployment to the Horn of Africa this year, he will only have 4 months stateside before being deployed to Afghanistan. Another friend of mine will also be doing the same and another good friend of mine will be deploying to Afghanistan on his 2nd tour in just a few months. I pray for their safe return.

You know? Everybody wishes for a quick return from these places and everything like that. But the fact is that we have a mission over there, and that is to fight for and protect every single U.S. citizen out there, whether it would be friend or foe. Yes, the whole reason why Marines want to go to Afghanistan (including myself) is to get the mission done quicker so we can come home to our families. It's not the money, (well, for some people it is) it's not...motivation and it's not that they want to kill themselves or anything else. It's the fact that we want to be out there, in the fight, helping everybody out. We Marines are one team, and we put up one fight. Our mentality is, 'Why not be in that fight?' If we just...all of a sudden got out of Afghanistan right now, how long do you think it would take for another terrorist attack to happen? One year? Five years? Ten years? We are simply out there to make sure that doesn't happen. When we are sure that it's not going to happen, that's when we will come home.

^^Thats a very admirable post, I really think that all the troops out there are doing a great job in very hostile and dangerous conditions. To all intents and purposes they are fighting to keep the West, especially the USA and Britain safe from a terrorist attack.

What worries me is just how long this task is going to take, in my opinion the sooner it is over the better. It is costing a lot of lives and money !

Another concern is the threat of a home grown attack. In Britain quite a number of suspected terrorists are being watched on a daily basis by special agents. The bombings in London were carried out by people born and bred right here in the UK.

When the fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan is over, the fight against terrorism will still be a constant threat.

• 2 weeks later...

The Afghan War is still on i don't think Americans can pull out their forces that early........! Its Just to satisfy people of Americans by Obama to get votes in election coming soon!

They've already started bringing the troops home.

Believe it or not, the fighting in Afghanistan is a long ways from being over. Again one of my friends just got sent to Afghanistan on his 2nd tour, and two of my other friends are getting sent to Afghanistan next year. The ISAF although doing a pretty decent job, is still fighting remnants of Taliban and several al-Qaeda cells. Little by little, the ANA is taking full control over more and more provinces but the ISAF is still playing a big role in operations in Afghanistan.

• 10 years later...
  • 4 months later...