The Emma-Watson.net Forum

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, since England has suffered too much this year due to the snow and i know a lot of canada and europe are suffering too. I thought we could have a thread to moan and post pictures of the hell/heaven.

These pictures are from january this year when we had it bad, i need to take some new ones of the current weather. But for now this will do you lol

The road that leads up to my house.

The neighbour

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this moment in time I hate it because the Stoke match today was postponed because of it, and it's bad for driving.. I don't even attempt to go out on my scooter when it snows. At times though, I quite like it... especially in the morning when it is undisturbed, it's beautiful. I would love to get out with my camera and a take a few pictures but I'm only just managing to move around the house after my op so venturing outside in the snow is a no no at the moment. I did take this from my window this morning though...

We have had quite a lot of snow today here in Stoke although we haven't had it as bad as a lot of places, we never seem to - apparently we are 'protected' by the Welsh mountains to west and the Peak District to the north east.

I can't remember two winters in a row which have been this bad, we usually get the odd day of snow, a lot of frost and ice with temperatures dipping below freezing but last winter and this winter we have had a lot of snow with temperatures regularly dropping below -10 and more, I have never known anything like it... especially this early in winter too, the colder weather usually comes after Christmas.

This and the past winter have been the worst I've ever known. I know it was really bad in 1947 and 1978/79 in Germany, but those are the tales of my parents and grandparents. I guess I'll be telling my future offsprings about the winter in 2009/10...

Schleswig-Holstein (the federal state that is furthest north in Germany) could just as well be Bavaria (where the Alps are) at the moment. Snow and ice are everywhere. On Thursday school was cancelled in the whole region, which is rare (the universities stayed open - grrr :)). First there was rain, than it snowed, an at night the temperatures fell to -10°C. The result: A firm layer of solid ice covering EVERYTHING. The snow ploughs aren't able to break it, and salt won't work because of the low temperatures. I walked downtown yesterday to run some errands and (during a 20 minute walk) witnessed four cars going off-road or not moving at all and one woman falling (thankfully no casulties). There are few planes leaving Frankfurt airport, because so many other airports around the globe are closed down due to the snow. A train got stuck the other day because of energy systems failing, and in general you shouldn't bet on trains being on time (or even being close to the schedule). I just hope I will get home to my parents safely for christmas.

Yep, back in January and now this December the snow has been unbelievable. I didn't like it back in January as I was doing A level modules and had a huge risk of missing exams, which meant I had to set off on what would be a 25 minute journey 2 hours before I needed to be there. I also had my driving test back in February in the snow (I passed, first time :) ).

The first 'batch' of snow this December was incredible. I had a foot at my house and it felt like I was in a ski resort. I've never seen anything like it in England. As of today, the 2nd 'batch' has not hit Leeds yet, as it has the rest of the country, but I have no doubt within a couple of days my garden will be white again.

On a related note, Imagine, the area where you live looks incredible. Very serene. And Dazza I love your shed. I would post a photo of my garden but theres no snow at the moment and it's dark outside. But my house is pretty much like one on Private Drive.

Snow can make landscapes look beautiful, even magical, in some cases.

The downside of it though is, massive travel problems, frozen pipes, trying to keep warm, and events such as sporting fixtures being called off.

Plus the daily battle to get to work/school !

I think the snow should be confined to Christmas Cards and Santa's Grotto :lol:

ROFL - I just checked the weather report online and they have a prognosis about snow at christmas. Rough translation: "According to new calculations the chances for a white christmas are bad in the south and west. It's likely not to happen."

Source

Honestly, accidents everywhere, transport breaking down, and they are sad about this white stuff finally melting. :rofl:

This winter actually has been pretty warm for me, we're averaging temperatures of 70-80 degrees which is fairly odd, we generally drop 20-30 degrees at this point. You all probably hate that I have warm temperatures haha :P.

One problem with snow in the UK is that it doesn't take much and everything comes to a standstill. We don't have many (if any) snow ploughs and rely on road gritters, in January, councils weren't prepared for the cold snap and they ran out of salt, causing major problems, this time they have stocked up with more salt, but the cold snap has started earlier so they recon they will run out again come January/February. Today, most airports were closed down due to snow, yet Oslo airport in Norway for example was running fine.

The UK simply isn't equipped to deal with snow and the government won't invest (because of cost) by supplying councils with snow ploughs or making snow tyres and chains readily available, things which are common place in places like Canada. Airports closed down, trains cancelled, people taking hours to make 20 minute journeys, cars being abandoned on motorways, people snowed in at home/work, I really have never seen anything like it.

This is great picture, taken from a satelite in of the first cold snap in January...

Here are two pictures I took at the beginning of December, we didn't get as much snow in the first wave but it stuck around for over a week because the temperature has been so low...

There needed to be a fourth choice for me. I like snow well enough at the right time - December/January. But I hate a late snow like March or April. By that time I'm ready for spring and nice weather.

In February there's usually 3 or 4 balmy days and you get a little spoiled before it turns cold again. March can have some very nice days and then turn frigid and windy again. I like what Garrison Keillor said about March - "March is like springtime painted on a brick wall. When you reach to pick the flowers you bust your knuckles. God created March so those that don't drink can see what a hangover feels like." In April you're really gearing up for spring and summer but inevitably you'll have some cold days with the wind whipping in from the north to really make it chilly.

Where I am in the States we don't have a lot of plows to clear the streets although some roads are designated as snow routes and they are cleared first. When it snows they tell everyone to stay in and not drive but we all do anyway, especially those of us that have 4X4 trucks. It's kinda like when a tornado is coming and they tell you to get underground but we're all out in the street watching it go by.

I've got a tow rope and go around pulling other people out of the snow. People in these little Volkswagens and Toyotas get stuck in these snow banks and you just wonder what they were thinking. People who don't know how to drive should not get out in the snow.

This and the past winter have been the worst I've ever known. I know it was really bad in 1947 and 1978/79 in Germany, but those are the tales of my parents and grandparents. I guess I'll be telling my future offsprings about the winter in 2009/10...

Schleswig-Holstein (the federal state that is furthest north in Germany) could just as well be Bavaria (where the Alps are) at the moment. Snow and ice are everywhere. On Thursday school was cancelled in the whole region, which is rare (the universities stayed open - grrr :)). First there was rain, than it snowed, an at night the temperatures fell to -10°C. The result: A firm layer of solid ice covering EVERYTHING. The snow ploughs aren't able to break it, and salt won't work because of the low temperatures. I walked downtown yesterday to run some errands and (during a 20 minute walk) witnessed four cars going off-road or not moving at all and one woman falling (thankfully no casulties). There are few planes leaving Frankfurt airport, because so many other airports around the globe are closed down due to the snow. A train got stuck the other day because of energy systems failing, and in general you shouldn't bet on trains being on time (or even being close to the schedule). I just hope I will get home to my parents safely for christmas.

That bad up north? As far as I can remember I haven't seen something like that when I still lived in Hamburg. And I hear from friends that Berlin is covered in snow as well. Must be pretty bad. I'm glad I'm in southern Arziona right now. :P

Edited by W.V.B

Oh, yes please ;o booking flights now! (I wish)

can't wait!

I put I love when not driving because I only love it when i'm not walking MILES in it. Like yesterday! It was to my knees too!

to your knees? :o pics plz

That bad up north? As far as I can remember I haven't seen something like that when I still lived in Hamburg. And I hear from friends that Berlin is covered in snow as well. Must be pretty bad. I'm glad I'm in southern Arziona right now. :P

I'd join you in Arizona right away if I could.

I found an article with some pictures, if you know Hamburg, you might be interested in them:

Spiegel

can't wait!

to your knees? :o pics plz

I can't get the pictures, but believe me i'm feeling the pain. I should have realised it was bad before I even went out as my back gate wouldn't even open.

I can't get the pictures, but believe me i'm feeling the pain. I should have realised it was bad before I even went out as my back gate wouldn't even open.

haha okay.

i hope you are all warm now :]

Edited by yes

We have had no more snow around here today but with temperatures staying well below freezing for the rest of the week the snow won't be going anywhere, with more snow forecast for Wedenesday onwards a White Christmas is pretty much odds on.

I LOVE snow and have always loved it!I was born in January so I was always happy when it snowed because I knew my birthday was close :) .I think it is very beautiful even through I would like it even better if the laws of physics would allow it to exist at 10 degrees(Celsius).