The Emma-Watson.net Forum

What Would Your Boggart Be?

Ready, this is my theory to disprove the possibility of Boggarts, even in Harry Potter.

Some people have stage fright, and a Boggart can't turn into "Stage Fright" because it's an emotion. There you go, Harry Potter, just been blown out of the water :)

Well, you are correct in that "Stage Fright" is an emotion. However, emotions can manifest themselves into tangible objects. Or, rather, we can place our emotion to an object when bridging connections. When you see a specific object, has it ever envoked fright, or happiness, or joy because of the connection you have made to a thought? That thought--though technically not physical in some cases--gives you the emotion.

When you read literature, have you noted that it is the author's responsibility to describe ranges of emotion (which gives the text feeling) and most often uses similies and metaphors (imagery) to accomplish this task? If a feeling or an emotion can be described in text, then it's tangible.

So, on with the thread if we will:

My boggart would most likely be spiders or creepy looking bugs. o.O

Or, heights--if there was a way for a boggart to manifest some relation of this.

Edited by K.Lo

I think so yes. In the books they say nothing about a boggart attacking you physically. It's all about fear. I mean, the dead Weasley family members are not hurting Mrs. Weasley physically. And although Neville is terrified of Snape, Snape as a teacher would never harm Neville.

Although you have to wonder if a boggart Dementor would be able to apply the kiss...

Appearing of course. It's not that any layman would know the difference between really dying and appearing to die if done well. The ones who do know are not afraid because they have studied it :P

Mine would be fire or a zombie. I am so afraid of fire that I can't light candles or put wood in a bonfire. And even though I smoked for 2 years.

But if you fear a lot of things? I mean both my biggest fears are equal. I am not more afraid of zombies than fire, just that fire are more likely to face than a zombie. What does the boggart do then?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i think it would be a nature disaster or like molly´s

sorry but i have got to come back to the question what two boggarts would do when then meet:

i wondered whether boggarts have emocions???

because when they are afraid of something themselves, it would be clear what the other one would be.

Edited by NaWaDa1

hmm that would be odd. My greatest fear is falling so would the boggart turn into a bottomless pit under me?

Well, do you fear falling and hitting something or just the fall? I could see a bottomless pit if you fear the fall itself, but if you fear the ground below I could see you falling towards an object that you never actually reach, but the ground will be there to account for your fear.

The other question here is how would you get rid of your boggart? What would you have to think of that is funny to escape the thing that you fear?

I'm more afraid of the falling process then hitting the bottom. Something about the butterfly feeling you get in your stomach when you're falling freaks me out.

Mine would probably turn into a roller coaster or something like that, although I don't really like those either. Maybe an airplane? I like airplanes.

Nice question !

Hum i'm afraid of water animal (fish, sharks, jellyfish) especially when i'm in the water. Even when i'm in a swimming pool, i'm afraid that a shark will appear in the middle of the pool. Don't laugh, i'm not the only one like that, i heard on the radio :P

A friend of mine told me it's the fear of the infinity. Actually yeah i'd be horrified to finish in the middle of a big desert as well, or a giant forest, so it sounds good to me.

(And that explains why i don't like analysis in mathematics haha - I just hope i won't be the only one to understand that joke...)

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...