The Emma-Watson.net Forum

The Mirror Of Erised

If you wandered across the Mirror of Erised (Desire) what do you think you would see?

For those who haven't read the book or don't remember what this mirror does, it shows the "deepest and most desperate desire of our hearts".

What do you think Dumbledore truly saw when he looked into it? He claimed to see himself wearing thick, woollen socks. But I think many could assume he saw his family alive and well, well something to do with his past at least.

I'd probably see the kind of things that Ron would see. NO, not a Quidditch Cup in my hand per se... but a smart, attractive girl on my arm with a successful job and a happy family most likely, as I travel the world and visit some exotic location. So what I mean by "similar to Ron's" vision, would be in the sense that I think my vision would reflect my ideas on personal glory or achievement, mixed with happiness ofcourse.

As far as Dumbledore is concerned, I would have guessed that he would see his sister happy, healthy and alive again. Maybe Dobby would see the warm pair of socks! :P

Socks, Dumbledore was right when he said one can never have enough socks, especially in these sub zero temperatures!

I'd like to say I would see Stoke City lifting the Premier League trophy.

Seriously though I am not really sure, so I would have to say my family, my parents with my brother and sister.

As far as Dumbledore is concerned, I would have guessed that he would see his sister happy, healthy and alive again. Maybe Dobby would see the warm pair of socks! :P

lol I totally second that! :P

And yeah I agree about Dumbledore.

I may be wrong, but I thought what Dumbledore saw was answered either in DH or in a post-DH interview with JK. Perhaps it was just Harry thinking he knew what Dumbledore would see rather than Dumbledore actually saying it, I don't have a copy with me to check.

But yeah, I think he'd see Ariana alive and well, if not his whole family reunited happily.

I find it fascinating that you said Grindelwald, though, Arie. That would certainly be interesting. I don't think he would, considering all the trouble he caused, but maybe Grindelwald could be part of the picture - a happy, healthy family and a non-psychotic, non-power-hungry, non-murdering Grindelwald at his side...? Maybe that's asking too much :P

I'm not sure what I would see. Just happiness, I think, and love. Completion. I don't know.

In a webchat by Bloomsbury, JKR said "He saw his family alive, whole and happy - Ariana, Percival and Kendra all returned to him, and Aberforth reconciled to him."

In DH it doesn't say specifically but after talking about the death of his sister,"At last he knew what Dumbledore would have seen when he looked in the Mirror of Erised, and why Dumbledore had been so understanding of the fascination it had exercised over Harry."

It´s admirable that you all seemed to know what you want the most.

I don´t really. Yes i have dreams, wishes and all this thinks. But what is the ardent desire of my heart?

Maybe that i´ve got a good career and can support my family?

That i found the love of my live and we have a balanced relationship.

I really don´t know.

In my opinion Dumbledore should see a man for him. What´s a life of self-sacrifce with the target to save the world. He should have some love in his live/dreams. He is a good person, a good man, a good magician.

• 6 months later...

Yes i bet Dumbledore saw himself maybe standing next to his sister Ariana who died,and which Dumbledore blamed himself for..and me?well,probably meeting my favourite actress Emma Watson or maybe kissing Rupert/Dan haha :D

Edited by Nicole@15

this is sooo good. ? i really dont even think i know my own desperate desires, ? i think, to be very honest !...i would see, this fantacy world of harrypotter to be true, i'd see myself standing infront of hogwarts or something, wearing gryffindor robes... :yesyes: that !, or....having my own family, my own child, with my beautiful fiance, ;)

Dumbledore definatly, saw Areana alive, and well, and all of them together i guess? ...or grindewald...? i think his family. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I may be wrong, but I thought what Dumbledore saw was answered either in DH or in a post-DH interview with JK. Perhaps it was just Harry thinking he knew what Dumbledore would see rather than Dumbledore actually saying it, I don't have a copy with me to check.

But yeah, I think he'd see Ariana alive and well, if not his whole family reunited happily.

I find it fascinating that you said Grindelwald, though, Arie. That would certainly be interesting. I don't think he would, considering all the trouble he caused, but maybe Grindelwald could be part of the picture - a happy, healthy family and a non-psychotic, non-power-hungry, non-murdering Grindelwald at his side...? Maybe that's asking too much :P

I'm not sure what I would see. Just happiness, I think, and love. Completion. I don't know.

You're right about Dumbledore. He will see his family, and Ariana, like Harry.

I don't know what I might see? Life. Happy Family, and me surrounded with my family I miss so much.