The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Stuck Between Two Forums

I personally believe that each & every member of these two forums are stuck in between the last & this new forum.Being honest we are not that much sucessful to keep these two or anyone of these two forums alive as ew.net/forum was alive durin 06,07 & 2008...Want to ask the moderators that why they created this forum & what you all guys think.

Edited by OrdiNarY BoY

I love this forum, I think its heaps better than the old one, it looks better, theres more features - it runs a lot faster and it hasnt had ANY downtime *touchwood*

yeah im pretty much a fan of this one hehe

I personally believe that each & every member of these two forums are stuck in between the last & this new forum.Being honest we are not that much sucessful to keep these two or anyone of these two forums alive as ew.net/forum was alive durin 06,07 & 2008...Want to ask the moderators that why they created this forum & what you all guys think.

I don't think the forums will ever be what they were back in 2006. It was a different time then. Forums were popular. Facebook had not yet exerted it's mind control on the masses. But I think as long as Emma keeps a public life in some way, it can keep going.

Why a new forum? We explained that some on the old forum, and some people here have touched on things. More features are nice. But most important was more control. Not that we wanted "CONTROL", but we wanted the ability to do things to keep the forums going properly. Like we had a new banner contest for the forum, back in August I think. Well, if you'll notice, the banner still hasn't changed. Because we didn't have the power to do that.

And there are other things. In a perfect world there will never be problems, but it is likely that at some point the server will crash. When this happened in the past on the old forum, if it was bad enough, we restarted. Wiped clean and everyone back to newbies. Because we didn't have backups of the database to restore. I now backup the database every day. If it crashes, we might lose some things, but not everything.

People have said this forum is faster and no downtime. That's true, and I hope to keep it that way. If there are problems though, and we start getting the dreaded IPB error messages, I'll fix the problem. I won't deleted a couple hundred thousand posts to make it go away. You mentioned how lively the forums were back in 2006. I wish we had all those posts from back then. I wish we had that history. But it kept getting thrown away. I won't do that.

I really like this new forum, for a number of reasons I hadn't been a regular on the old one for a good while, I missed the old days and posting on the forum though so when this new forum was launched, it seemed like as good a time as any to get back into it. For me it was like a fresh start.

I think one of the best things about forums is meeting new people and making friends, I have made so many freinds through this forum. But people can do all that on Facebook and more, and keep in touch with their own friends and family all in one place. I use Facebook myself but personally I would much rather discuss things and meet people on a forum. On forums you can get a sense of community and togetherness that you just can't get on Facebook, I like being a part of that.

I own a forum and it times it seems like a constant battle with social networks, now we use them to our advantage, with a Facebook page and Twitter account for the website. Social networks have definitely paid their part, and sadly I don't think the forums will ever be as busy as they once were. But as forums go, I still think this is a fairly active one. As long as Emma is busy doing movies and other things I think there will always be a place and a future for this forum and Emma-Watson.net as a website.

A lot of forums are going through tough/quiet times at the moment.

This forum is doing well, there seems to be a hardcore of regular posters, which keeps the site lively. As was mentioned in a previous post, its a small community, which is nice to be a part of. I use Facebook, but its mostly to keep in contact with relatives, and a few friends I don't see very often.

Its great to come here and talk to, and meet new friends.

I hope this site goes from strength to strength. :yesyes:

I don't think the forums will ever be what they were back in 2006. It was a different time then. Forums were popular. Facebook had not yet exerted it's mind control on the masses. But I think as long as Emma keeps a public life in some way, it can keep going.

Why a new forum? We explained that some on the old forum, and some people here have touched on things. More features are nice. But most important was more control. Not that we wanted "CONTROL", but we wanted the ability to do things to keep the forums going properly. Like we had a new banner contest for the forum, back in August I think. Well, if you'll notice, the banner still hasn't changed. Because we didn't have the power to do that.

And there are other things. In a perfect world there will never be problems, but it is likely that at some point the server will crash. When this happened in the past on the old forum, if it was bad enough, we restarted. Wiped clean and everyone back to newbies. Because we didn't have backups of the database to restore. I now backup the database every day. If it crashes, we might lose some things, but not everything.

People have said this forum is faster and no downtime. That's true, and I hope to keep it that way. If there are problems though, and we start getting the dreaded IPB error messages, I'll fix the problem. I won't deleted a couple hundred thousand posts to make it go away. You mentioned how lively the forums were back in 2006. I wish we had all those posts from back then. I wish we had that history. But it kept getting thrown away. I won't do that.

Pretty much this.

Like arnt there any method to shift the registered member from that forum to here.

You seem to be under the impression that emmawatson.net and emma-watson.net either are the same website or are otherwise still associated. That is not the case, emmawatson.net (the previous forum) is owned and has been for quite some time by Susan, whereas emma-watson.net, the main site, as well as the new forum are owned by Dook. We parted ways with emmawatson.net and are no longer associated with them (at least in terms of forums). We can't incorporate those registered members because it's a completely different site and it wouldn't make sense to bring them here, they are their own site.

Really it would be best if you didn't think of them as the same forum or an upgraded version of the previous forum, but as a completely new and fresh forum.

"Each and every member of these two forums are stuck in between the last and this new forum". There is no modifier there, and I feel that I do not count in this generalization. When the forum under emma-watson.net was unveiled, I joined happily. I remember briefly visiting the old forum without a username and nothing had appealed to me there.

I do not necessarily think that this forum is dying, however. It's a slow time of the year, as well as a relatively slow time in Emma's life (well, not from a educational and everything else standpoint in her life per sé.). What I mean to say is that "Deathly Hallows: Part One" just recently came out. "My Week With Marilyn" is scheduled for this coming year to be released. "Part Two" is not going to be released until 7 months from now. We're in a lull at the moment.

To be honest, I'm kind of enjoying it. I don't like when things "get all crazy up in here". :lol:

You seem to be under the impression that emmawatson.net and emma-watson.net either are the same website or are otherwise still associated. That is not the case, emmawatson.net (the previous forum) is owned and has been for quite some time by Susan, whereas emma-watson.net, the main site, as well as the new forum are owned by Dook. We parted ways with emmawatson.net and are no longer associated with them (at least in terms of forums). We can't incorporate those registered members because it's a completely different site and it wouldn't make sense to bring them here, they are their own site.

Really it would be best if you didn't think of them as the same forum or an upgraded version of the previous forum, but as a completely new and fresh forum.

Maximum active member of that forum are here,thats it came in mind that these two forums are owned by same person

I really like this new forum too. I think the comments, status updates and the chat are ingenious. Not to mention that the people from the old forum have moved over and it's great to see all the old people. I wasn't on here back in 06, but I think that we're doing okay for ourselves now. Rock on, people!

First off this one here seems pretty alive to me atm.

But generally yes, in the beginning it was hard to leave the other forum because we have so many good memories from there. But now i believe most of us are used to this forum here. And we started from scratch so pretty much everyone talks to everyone. I talked with many people i knew but hadn't talked to in the old forum. Which is nice.

• 2 weeks later...

well I first joined years ago on ew.net =)

the forums were popular back then and HP was "on fire" :D it was my first touch with forums ever and the time when I became a forum addict :D

The only thing I miss from the old one is people from there. I remember the time when I was awake at 2 AM just because I wanted to chat on random things discussion or perv association or dating game with people from USA, mexico, japan, russia (because of time difference :D ). I remeber when the top poster was free_stylez with 3000 posts :rofl that was huge back then :rofl: I still remember all the (nick)names from the old one.

But every now and then we all need a fresh start =) so yeah, I like the new forum. I like how it runs fast, I like the "new" people and I think it will grow larger and larger with time :D

• 2 weeks later...

haha thank you for explaining that, i thought this is an upgraded version of the old forum.

anyway, i like this forum. :-)

• 11 years later...