The Emma-Watson.net Forum

The Invention Of Lying

Saw this movie starring Ricky Gervais the other night. Kinda cute. It tried to have a message. I know the crux of the movie is that no one lies and that Ricky Gervais' character comes up with lying and is the only one who can do it. The thing I didn't like about it is that they equated the inability to lie with saying whatever is on your mind at any given time. For instance you may be jealous of another person but you don't have to share this thought with everyone at the moment that you feel it. It is not a lie to keep your thoughts to yourself no matter how depraved they might be.

Just a pet peeve.

I havent seen the full movie, but I had the very same impression! They said EVERYTHING that was on their mind, which was kind of weird. But the main idea of the movie was great, I even liked the movie title :D and ricky gervais is simply hilarious

I agree with your peeve concerning the difference between telling the truth and spitting out everything on your mind. I suppose the filmmakers consider withholding the truth just as dishonest as telling a lie-- or they at least went with that concept to create a more interesting plot (definitely brought more humor the film.).

I LOVE this movie though. Hilaaarious.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the movie a few weeks ago and I thought it was very funny! My favorite part would have to be when he's reading off about "the man in the sky." What the crowd was saying was just too funny: "screw the man in the sky," "do the mansions go onto the market," etc.

I saw this movie almost a year ago now (on an air-plane!) and I had/have very mixed feelings about it. I think exactly as you said about the "telling a lie vs telling everyone exactly what you think"- thing. ^_^

But my other dislike about the movie is that Ricky Gervais gets the hot Jennifer Garner. :P I'm so incredibly sick of movies with hot girls getting together with average guys, we NEVER see average girls (because there are non in Hollywood) with hot guys. :( But that's a general peeve of mine, that just happened to be in this movie. :P

Edited by Mrs Duck